ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
At least Mega Audino will be a top tier support in Doubles. What does Mega Banette even do with 165 Attack and Prankster? It's worse than Flareon without Flare Blitz.
Yeah this probably won't come true; the lack of a Fighting resist hurts and Healer is too unreliable to work well. Aromatisse outclasses it as a Trick Room setter due to Aroma Veil and the whole "not a Mega" thing, and Aromatisse itself is a little on the mediocre side. Mega Audino has cool defensive potential, but I don't see it performing too well in practice (especially with no recovery since Wish in Doubles just doesn't work out).

I don't know if someone has posted this before, but what are the hordes/locations for ev training in oras?
Looking at the hordes, it should be a lot easier to train. There is a route that has a 100% encounter rate for every stat.

100% HP Chance: Whismur Cave (Whismur)
100% Attack Chance: Mt Pyre (Shuppet)
100% Defense Chance: Route 111 (Sandshrew)
100% Special Attack Chance: Route 119 (Oddish)
100% Special Defense Chance: Route 114 (Swablu)
100% Speed Chance: Route 104 (Zigzagoon/Taillow)
I should probably copy-paste this somewhere. Got a feeling it'll be incredibly useful...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wonder if we can create a blurb of 140 some-odd characters for our NPC selves to say when others visit our bases?

In the interest of being super personable.
Honestly I wouldn't be disappointed if they just brought back the words / phrases they made you use for the trendy phrase and all that. The Frontier had some really funny ones, who can forget such classics like 'POUND THE THICK FAT ON MY BELLY DRUM' or 'I AM FEELING WEIRD FROM A DREAM.' I mean technology was kinda limited back then so they probably won't have to resort to that but it would be funny to see what people could come up with for their gym phrase. Would be more interesting than just giving them free reign to write what they want at least...

I should probably copy-paste this somewhere. Got a feeling it'll be incredibly useful...
I'm sure Stellar will update the Horde training thread and on-site guide once ORAS is out. Or I dunno, CP it to a .txt file or something..?

Honestly I wouldn't be disappointed if they just brought back the words / phrases they made you use for the trendy phrase and all that. The Frontier had some really funny ones, who can forget such classics like 'POUND THE THICK FAT ON MY BELLY DRUM' or 'I AM FEELING WEIRD FROM A DREAM.' I mean technology was kinda limited back then so they probably won't have to resort to that but it would be funny to see what people could come up with for their gym phrase. Would be more interesting than just giving them free reign to write what they want at least...
For what it's worth, we can already write (almost) whatever we like in XY in things like shoutouts, so we might not have to resort to preset messages. Though I wonder if trendy phrases will make a come back...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
For what it's worth, we can already write (almost) whatever we like in XY in things like shoutouts, so we might not have to resort to preset messages. Though I wonder if trendy phrases will make a come back...
Yeah, if they allow us to write in anything for the shoutouts I don't see why they would limit us again as long as they make sure the filters were on. Of course we'd be very limited to what we can say, but as cant say proved that doesn't stop people from trying to make something sound dirty with stock phrases. :P

If they had a Secret Base spotlight on the Global Link maybe that would encourage players to keep things clean as that'll be the only way to be showcased (and maybe give a prize to those spotlighted like a special decoration). If you give us a reason not to abuse the system I'd say ~most~ of us won't. Otherwise we'd try to get around the system because there's no reason not to and it's funny to see a Nintendo game say something naughty (because we're all that mature).

Yeah, if they allow us to write in anything for the shoutouts I don't see why they would limit us again as long as they make sure the filters were on. Of course we'd be very limited to what we can say, but as cant say proved that doesn't stop people from trying to make something sound dirty with stock phrases. :P

If they had a Secret Base spotlight on the Global Link maybe that would encourage players to keep things clean as that'll be the only way to be showcased (and maybe give a prize to those spotlighted like a special decoration). If you give us a reason not to abuse the system I'd say ~most~ of us won't. Otherwise we'd try to get around the system because there's no reason not to and it's funny to see a Nintendo game say something naughty (because we're all that mature).
Stop admitting that you would draw phalluses everywhere.
Have they been able to tell from the demo info dump if breeding mechanics have changed in any way or stayed the same?
Other than maybe a new egg move or two?
If you mean the algorithm for getting certain statistics from either parent, there hasn't been any word on it, but it's unlikely.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Stop admitting that you would draw phalluses everywhere.

Other than maybe a new egg move or two?
If you mean the algorithm for getting certain statistics from either parent, there hasn't been any word on it, but it's unlikely.
Nah, I'd draw Charizards everywhere. I just know certain people who would do the other.

Have they ever changed the Breeding mechanic within a Generation (aside adjusting Egg Moves)?

Nah, I'd draw Charizards everywhere. I just know certain people who would do the other.

Have they ever changed the Breeding mechanic within a Generation (aside adjusting Egg Moves)?
Each set of games seems to bring something new to breeding. Aside from changes made in between generations, such as the glorious new fate of the Destiny Knot, egg shells no longer being worth any experience points, Masuda, and of course, the allowance of incest in the name of finding the perfect specimen, each followup to the core games since Gen III has introduced something new:
  • Emerald gave new utility to the Everstone, Flame Body and Magma Armor, the Light Ball, and even changed the layout of Route 117 to more easily accommodate breeding, and therefore set the trend of long expanses of land to travel across being placed directly in front of any given Day Care Center.
  • Platinum introduced the Power Items to breeders.
  • Both Emerald and Platinum made minor tweaks to the way IVs were passed.
  • BW2 improved the chances of inheriting abilities, and set the nature that the Everstone passes.
The remakes, on the other hand, tend to follow the mechanics set by the games that precede them; FRLG didn't introduce anything new (although they're the worst games to breed in, anyway), and HGSS gave new egg moves to almost everything. Because of this, I doubt that we'll really see anything really game changing until Z/XY2, and I get the feeling that finding egg moves in the wild will be the change that we'll see with ORAS.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
We need to go deeper, we need Hidden Hidden Abilities.
Personally I don't think they should have limited Abilities to a max two normal Abilities and a Hidden Ability. Why not allow for tutored Abilities or Egg Abilities? Or have Abilities we can only access via the Ability Capsule. But this is going into the direction of wishful thinking.

Each set of games seems to bring something new to breeding. Aside from changes made in between generations, such as the glorious new fate of the Destiny Knot, egg shells no longer being worth any experience points, Masuda, and of course, the allowance of incest in the name of finding the perfect specimen, each followup to the core games since Gen III has introduced something new:
  • Emerald gave new utility to the Everstone, Flame Body and Magma Armor, the Light Ball, and even changed the layout of Route 117 to more easily accommodate breeding, and therefore set the trend of long expanses of land to travel across being placed directly in front of any given Day Care Center.
  • BW2 improved the chances of inheriting abilities, and set the nature that the Everstone passes.
The remakes, on the other hand, tend to follow the mechanics set by the games that precede them; FRLG didn't introduce anything new (although they're the worst games to breed in, anyway), and HGSS gave new egg moves to almost everything. Because of this, I doubt that we'll really see anything really game changing until Z/XY2, and I get the feeling that finding egg moves in the wild will be the change that we'll see with ORAS.
I see. Hmm, what advancements did RS bring to Breeding? Maybe they'll further enhance those introduced mechanics since these are RS remakes. Just a thought.

We should make a forum for Competitive Contests. And also add them to Showdown. It will become part of the Smogon culture.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll make a Rotom-themed gym with all six forms of Rotom (Rotom-N as my ace). It would be amazing if someone could make a Plasma Badge or something for me.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Personally I don't think they should have limited Abilities to a max two normal Abilities and a Hidden Ability. Why not allow for tutored Abilities or Egg Abilities? Or have Abilities we can only access via the Ability Capsule. But this is going into the direction of wishful thinking.
Then why bring it up if you're just going to wishlist?

The only thing I can see them doing is giving more control of which IVs the parents pass down and/or making them pass down all 6 instead of just 5. Then again they probably won't do anything.

Actually, HeartGold and SoulSilver did changed how Everstone worked. In Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, it only worked when the female held an Everstone. Starting in HeartGold and SoulSilver, males could hold the Everstone to pass along natures.

I see. Hmm, what advancements did RS bring to Breeding? Maybe they'll further enhance those introduced mechanics since these are RS remakes. Just a thought.
Despite the changes in Gen III (the modification of the EV/IV system, Natures, Abilities), there wasn't a lot different in breeding between Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire. What I mean is that the only thing you had any sort of control was Egg Moves. The only new thing in Ruby and Sapphire breeding-wise was the introduction of the Lax and Sea Incense to produce Wynaut and Azurill respectively. Emerald was when Game Freak started to make it easier to breed, leading up to X and Y making it incredibly easy to produce amazing Pokémon without needed to sell your soul and/or use an Action Replay/Game Shark.

Last edited:
Actually, HeartGold and SoulSilver did changed how Everstone worked. In Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, it only worked when the female held an Everstone. Starting in HeartGold and SoulSilver, males could hold the Everstone to pass along natures.

Despite the changes in Gen III (the modification of the EV/IV system, Natures, Abilities), there wasn't a lot different in breeding between Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire. What I mean is that the only thing you had any sort of control was Egg Moves. The only new thing in Ruby and Sapphire breeding-wise was the introduction of the Lax and Sea Incense to produce Wynaut and Azurill respectively. Emerald was when Game Freak started to make it easier to breed, leading up to X and Y making it incredibly easy to produce amazing Pokémon without needed to sell your soul and/or use an Action Replay/Game Shark.
Oh, I remember that now. I didn't do much breeding back then, but I do recall the everstone being useful to the mother now; I don't think I ever really caught the point where that changed in the first place. Sorry about that. Maybe we will get a more significant upgrade to breeding in ORAS after all.

That mistake aside, there is one thing that I'd like to add to your answer about the changes introduced with RS. A key difference in the breeding mechanics between Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire is in the 'genetics' of IVs; in Gen II, brother and sister, and parent and child could not breed together, but when the system was overhauled for Gen III, this mechanic was removed. This was what I meant when I made that crack at incest; taboo and wrong as it may be, breeding would not be what it is today without this allowance, even though I'm pretty sure that a pedigree isn't supposed to come from generations of it.

I have a question though: why are we asking about breeding mechanics changing at all? I think they're pretty much perfect at this point, it couldn't possibly be any easier (and making it harder would be just stupid).

Edit: Well maybe it would be cool if genderless/male-only could pass down Pokeballs but that's about it ...

Reactions: Xen

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a question though: why are we asking about breeding mechanics changing at all? I think they're pretty much perfect at this point, it couldn't possibly be any easier (and making it harder would be just stupid).
Make it so you can combine Destiny Knot's IV transferring effect with the Power item's IV transferring effect, followed by breeding two Pokemon with the same nature guaranteeing that the infant gets that nature. That's two ways to improve breeding tremendously. It'd make breeding for a Hidden Power much easier, I'll tell you that.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Nature inheritance from both parents would be nice for breeding baby Pokemon that need incense items (such as Munchlax, Wynaut, etc.), but I don't see breeding being changed from X/Y, since it's already riduclously easy to breed perfect Pokemon now.

Anyway, I bought and downloaded Pokemon Puzzle Challenge for the 3DS virtual console (I used to be so good at it, now I'm struggling with easy mode. ;_;), so I ...have yet another ORAS demo code to give away. Hehe

Edit: Claimed

Last edited:
Make it so you can combine Destiny Knot's IV transferring effect with the Power item's IV transferring effect, followed by breeding two Pokemon with the same nature guaranteeing that the infant gets that nature. That's two ways to improve breeding tremendously. It'd make breeding for a Hidden Power much easier, I'll tell you that.
This, this, very much this. Particularly the bit about passing the nature if both parents have the same one. Even if they went with the original 50% chance of the Everstone, this would make things much easier in certain cases, such as in Hidden Power breeding, as you mentioned, or in cases where an incense would be needed, such as with Self Destruct Munchlax.

Otherwise, passing down the pokeball of any pokemon that breeds with a Ditto would be a nice addition, and they don't really have a reason not to do it eventually. There's probably a way that they could allow for an influence the gender of a baby, or to incite the chance of a baby having its hidden ability, even if neither parent does. They could allow for both parents to be allowed to hold a power item, without making the IV being passed have a split chance. Although the probability is smaller, they could allow for parents who knew moves from past games, tutors and ex-TMs for example, to be passed on. Really, there are things they can do to improve on breeding, things that they have been adding in bits and pieces to each new set of games for the past decade. I don't see why they would stop now, when there are other things that they can do, unless the Destiny Knot was the summit that they aspired to reach. We'll just have to wait and see what ORAS tells us.

Oh, and there is the ever-present hope for an incubator. Let's not forget that one.

Nature inheritance from both parents would be nice for breeding baby Pokemon that need incense items (such as Munchlax, Wynaut, etc.), but I don't see breeding being changed from X/Y, since it's already riduclously easy to breed perfect Pokemon now.
Agreed. Maybe change the Incense to act as a pseudo-Everstone if it the Species result is altered by it.
Also, just let Volt Tackle be a regular Egg move for Pichu if a parent knows it. I'll be fine with Light Ball being the source of the initial learning of the move if we could just jump over that barrier. (Also having Light Ball work for Raichu would be nice...)

Agreed. Maybe change the Incense to act as a pseudo-Everstone if it the Species result is altered by it.
Also, just let Volt Tackle be a regular Egg move for Pichu if a parent knows it. I'll be fine with Light Ball being the source of the initial learning of the move if we could just jump over that barrier. (Also having Light Ball work for Raichu would be nice...)
What I'm hoping is that Cosplay Pika gets Volt Tackle which, in tandem with Light Ball, gives you a solid physical attacker...in a dress...

It would be even better if it had access to some of the other special moves Pikachu's gotten over the years (especially ESPeed and Surf), but I doubt that. Above all, I demand that the light ball will not take for-freaking-ever to obtain (10% chance on a SAFARI ZONE poke?!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)