Other OU Player of the Week #5: gr8astard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
approved by alexwolf

Banner by me

Welcome to OU's Player of the week, a thread where I interview well known players to gain insight on how they battle, as well as get to know some things about them. The goal of this thread is to have these high level players give insight to other players in this community in hopes of creating a better overall experience in the OU environment. As always, if theres someone youd like to see interviewed, feel free to shoot me a PM. So without further ado, let’s get to it! (Just a note: Anyone tagged in this post was tagged in the interview by Hugo)

Most Known For: IDM CEO, Winning OST 9 despite losing to double01, BW and XY teambuilding, XY OU Council member, being an XY RU Holy Knight Lord King Emperor of Thunder and God of Lightning

Favorite Pokémon: Raikou

Most used Pokémon: Latios

Where did you get your name from?
I chose this name as my email address when i was like 10 years old. I don’t honestly remember how I came up with such a brilliant idea, but fast forward to the time when BW got released in North America, I decided to use it as the Smogon forum signup name because I thought I would just play Pokemon casually anyway and any random username will do. Boy was I wrong.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
It all started around the time when BW came out in North America. I have played all the main Pokemon games in the past, however I was not aware of the deep competitive aspect of Pokemon. When I heard that BW was coming out, I went on Youtube and accidentally stumbled upon videos from people like mtgxerxes and shofu (in DPP), and became aware of it even though I didn’t completely get what’s going on. So when BW finally came out, I started wifi battling “competitively”. To give you an idea, my first BW team revolved around SD baton pass Ninjask to Garchomp and Carracosta, so you can say I’ve come a long way since then. But to make a long story short, I found out that people play on PO late 2011, and I started going to the Smogon server and later on the PO Beta server when BW2 came out (as Smogon migrated to PS—I didn’t think PS was a good simulator back then). Then I started joining tours on Smogon in late 2012.

What’s it like leading one of the most famous Pokémon clans in IDM?
It is absolutely fantabulous. If you’ve never known what it feels like to be at the helm of the most powerful and well respected clan in the world, you haven’t lived.

How did IDM start, and how do you recruit people?
We were initially just a group of friends who mainly use Skype as a means of communication. One day when we were in a call, PROBLEMS jokingly suggested that we should make a clan and our own channel on PO, and CTC agreed. I followed along as I didn’t think their idea would last anyway, but alas the IDM clan has been in shambles for around two years now. Personally I don’t think of IDM as a clan, its just a group of friends with a hilariously embarrassing label on it, but apparently some people think that we influence Smogon from the shadows be it through PokeDollars bribery or illegal supply of teams made by me or CTC. As far as “recruiting” goes, I guess we just let people who we are friends with into our Skype group.

What’s it like playing in big team tours such as WCoP and SPL? Favorite and least favorite moment(s)?
I’ve had the luxury of being in good teams in WCoP and SPL, so they are always quite a pleasant experience. I can’t really pinpoint any particular favorite or least favorite moments aside from the obvious euphoric feeling when your team won and depressing atmosphere when your team lost. However, the times when players’ ego clash in these team tours is definitely something I don’t look forward to, so that can be a “least favorite” moment.

What is your thought process when making teams?
This probably applies to most people, but I often try to build around a certain Pokemon. The more uncommon it is, the better because that means others won’t prepare for it. Of course said Pokemon also has to be effective in some way, because there is no use in being creative for the sake of it. Its also helpful to have a reliable 2-3 mons core that can handle most of the metagame, because you can quickly incorporate these cores into your ideas and tweak them as needed.

How did you get so good at making teams?
I don’t know. I played the game a lot in the past so building teams become intuitive at some point. Having good players to bounce ideas off also helps immensely to make sure you don’t waste your time building around crap, as is a good grasp of the metagame. I make plenty of bad teams still, and the picky penguins who asked for my help are usually not shy in voicing their dissatisfaction.

Whats your favorite playstyle and why?
Balance or bulky offense. I’ve never been a huge fan of stall although its useful to bring it every once in a while in tournament play so you don’t become predictable. Hyper offense is often very matchup and prediction reliant, which I’m also not fond of. With balanced teams, however, you should have room to outplay or outsmart your opponents as needed. You might not gain an insurmountable matchup advantage right off the bat as can be seen when playing stall or HO, but the opposite is also true.

As a member of the OU council, can you give us insight as to what goes into deciding what does and doesn’t deserve a suspect test? Are there any bans that you didn’t agree with?
The mighty ruling fists of Aldaron decide what Pokemon shall be incriminated next, and I voice my opinions as I see fit. I agree with all the bans made in XY, man. At any rate, you need not worry about my seemingly ban-happy attitude as M Dragon is always there to balance things out.

If you could change OU, be it through a ban or unban, what would it be and why?
I wouldn’t change anything at this point.

What are you looking forward to the most in ORAS?
I’m not as excited as most people in abusing broken stuff in new metagames, but I’m looking forward to seeing the new Hoopa form in action. Also the defensive setup megas such as Slowbro, Sableye and Altaria all seem quite menacing. Can’t wait for CrashinBoomBang’s Comeback to tournament play and domination of Smogon Tour/OST while wielding a Mega Slowbro team co-created with his bestie, Tele.

Aside from the obvious Salamence and potential Greninja, do you foresee any of the new megas / mons w/ new moves being too much for OU?
The majority of new Megas we get this gen will be worthwhile to use in OU, though they won’t be quite at Salamence’s level. However I can’t speculate too much about it as I have not played a single game of ORAS.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
I am good friends with a lot of players, and talking with them is probably the most enjoyment I get from Pokemon these days. As for players who I look up to, I’m not sure if “look up” is the right word but here is my personal Top 5 players who I admire for their Pokemon skills:

Bloo-sama and McMeghan-dono, as they are undeniably at the top of their games and Smogon right now (both of these barbie Ash Ketchum ass niggas are not satisfied by merely being top 2, though). It seems mandatory to mention both higher beings lately because of how well they’ve performed, and luckily I have the honor of talking to these two Gods often. They have been a dominant force in this game for as long as my participation in Smogon, and I think everyone can learn a lot from them, not only from their skills but also their mentality. McMeghan is more of a happy guy with positive outlook including in Pokemon (I'm starting to think this contributes a lot to luck--an extreme case of this would be user -Tsunami-), while Bloo is very driven. You can see this if you talk to them, and these respective qualities translated to their Pokemon success;

CrashinBoomBang-senpai, primarily for his ballsy playstyle. Its funny because the first few times I talked to McMeghan, he immediately said he’s interested to see me play CBB because of how aggressive CBB plays. Certainly one of those players who is very hard to read especially because testicular fortitude is a rarity nowadays;

aim-kun is probably the person I’ve known the longest in Pokemon (since early 2012). He was already very good at the game at the time, and similar to CBB he makes very risky plays and is good at reading the opponent, which I also come to learn from. And yet he still continues to improve, mainly in terms of his decision making and game plan;

BKC-sensei is also one of the best team builders around and someone I respect a lot. He was very proficient in BW yet eventually came to despise the gen, complete ass in XY, but the amount of knowledge he has in ADV and especially DPP is unreal. There were many instances when I watch him play in DPP during Smogon Tour, and as the opponent leads with <insert generic DPP lead here> he would go “Oh I know his team,” and more often than not he’ll get all 6 mons right. He also won the Smogon Tour despite not being a playoff material. No wonder the girlscouts are all over his Elder Wand;

There are many other players I come to respect, but I won’t bother to expand on the rest (you can question me about them if you want). I do hold these players in high regard through my daily interaction with them or through team tours I participated in: Masterclass, FLCL, SoulWind, SilentVerse, Adam, DracoMalfoy, bro fist, dragonuser, august... And of course CTC, the thug-cum-revolutionist who runs IDM and Team Archive thread, nothing but respect and adoration for that guy. I’m sure I’m still missing a lot of people but I can’t name every single pipsqueak who had their bright moments, nor can I speak of players I don't really know in the same regard.

Do you have any advice for players that are newer to the XY OU Metagame?
Do not use Baton Pass no matter how bad you are. It won’t get you anywhere. And please don't use the excuse "I just want to try it out." It works, it's gay, and it will get you nothing but hate.

If you’re semi-new, watching good players helps, and you can also look up pokeaim or thunderblunder777 on youtube if you want live commentaries. Check out dblacstardust for ubers content, and chimpact for the best egglocke youtube has to offer. Of course you also have to play/practice yourself to actually improve.

Finally, is there a team that you could show us that reflects your playstyle that is a good fit for this metagame with a brief explanation of how it works?
No. Just watch my replays.

One of my favorite balanced teams to use have been posted by bloo, and I don’t feel like showing others, so I guess this one will have to do:

http://pastebin.com/TuE0gW5h

I don’t know how this team would fare now, but it was certainly quite fun at the time it was created. Simply put, SubBP Celebi gives free turns for Specs Keldeo and Gardevoir to fire off hits while also being a decent check to Excadrill (unless it flinches you twice), Scarf Landorus-T provides intimidate support as well as some much needed speed, and Raikou provides speed and momentum while handling Thundurus and most birds well enough. Heatran is there as a Steel and Dragon resist as well as a reliable SR setter, plus it serves as a good check to Jolly SD Talonflame.

So there it is. If you have any questions for Hugo, feel free to ask him in the thread. I’d like to thank him once again for doing this. See you next week!

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
ok sorry but i don't know much about you except you being mentioned a lot of places like in the past 2 interviews.
I've just 1 question atm, more may come: how to pronounce your name?

What goes through your head when your in a battle. Do you think 10 turns ahead or develop a game plan to eliminate and weaken possible threats. Did you always try to think your way through battles or did it come naturally to you.

What is your next goal at Pokemon? Smogon Tour 19? Frontier?

What do you think about poeple complaining about the BW metagame ("too much matchup reliant", "always the same teams", "boring as fuck", ...)?

You said you don't want to change anything in XY metagame, is there something you would ban or suspect in BW OU?

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
When will you upload? Your 64 subscribers have been waiting 2 years.

Do you expect every team you build to be successful? Or do they just end up that way?

Favorite aspect of building? Building wih frens, trying new things, seeing the team work etc.

Opinion on final naruto chapter?

Would you be able to beat Ippo in a punch out?

What is your opinion on user John or sadhdkdhdjdkkdjfjth insert letters here and his lie that he would come back with Gen 6?

Please continue to help me do well in tours and practice cause you are a great bud builder battler and fren :] learned a lot from you haha. You're the one who helped me learn that you don't have to be all aggro when playing but can win by making the best possible plays with very little prediction. Nothin buh a fren

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
you told me a few weeks back you plan to be top 20-25 in smash 4, has this changed since you've got the game?

how confident are you in being able to close out the next two rounds of slam and win?

predictions for winner of 2015 kimmy tour?

ever going to adapt to google+ so you can like my vids?

Last edited:
How good is my Dual Weather Gen 5 team I played you with on the ladder?
If you and Oli did a doubles game against CTC and Blim, who would win?
What's your favorite Pokemon Cypher verse?

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BW or XY? why?

Favorite tour?

Opinion on Edgar the up and coming Canadian ou player

after being forced to play Doubles in slam, thoughts on it as a tier?

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
my nigga.
when you are on a 5050 sucker punch prediction game that will decide who wins, when do you usually attack? 4th turn? 5th? 8th? or do you just wait till all the pps are gone?

do you still enjoy this game as much as you did back in the old PO days?

thoughts on user FinalFlash and how he plays

Last edited:
Hugooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Would you ever consider playing for another team in WCOP ? If not, will East make a comeback next year ?

Are you like blunderr who prefers PO over PS, even though the lack of PO updates and shit ?

What do you think of this user "Helllraiser" ?

Who do you think would Win an IRL fight, me OR CTC ?

How serious are you in Winning a few more trophys ?

1.) How does one reach out to a known player/user and not annoy them? of the two people I've reached out to, Alexwolf and McMeghan, I'm pretty sure I've annoyed them both to an extent.

2.) What's the fastest way to get better at Pokemon, especially if you're a guy who writes posts 100x more intelligent than his playing? if it's getting in touch and/or making friendships with really good people, how do you make those last?

3.) What are some underrated pokemon in the current XY metagame?

4.) opinion on how to deal with Baton Pass.

5.) How do you make the OP in a coversation not awkward?

6.) Alexwolf is busy with higher priorities, so do you mind if you take his place in co-building my team?

If you were to battle shofu TOMORROW what team would you use, of all the existing pokemon?

Do you think cbb-senpai should stop asking me to take his soul in randbats?

Best way to deal with Hellraiser?

wich position do you play in football/soccer? do you watch it? if so, wich team do you want to win ucl?

do you follow any "formula" to build bulki offense teams in xy ou?

funniest skype call you ever had with pkmn ppl?

gr8astard

Here comes the waterworks!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
SparksBlade: I've just 1 question atm, more may come: how to pronounce your name?

G-R-E-A-S-U-S

michaeloche: And to kinda follow up what Sparks said, why do people call you Hugo?

First name Hugo, Last name Weasley.

Jacob: also how does it feel to be considered one of the best team builders in xy?

It feels almost as good as being the IDM CEO, which is not very. I don’t really let that get into my head because at the end of the day its just a game, and I happen to find the team building aspect of Pokemon to be the most fun.

Questionairre: What goes through your head when your in a battle. Do you think 10 turns ahead or develop a game plan to eliminate and weaken possible threats. Did you always try to think your way through battles or did it come naturally to you.

Right when the battle starts, you should already identify your opponent’s win condition and your own, and that usually dictates how I play the game. I don’t think anyone thinks 10 turns ahead necessarily, but you should have a general idea of how the game needs to pan out for you to win and plan accordingly. Sometimes when you have played certain similar matchups often things will come naturally (for instance, I and some other players I know would go on “autopilot” on the ladder not only because you generally use the same team over and over but there is less at stake in a ladder game, not to mention spending a lot of time in a ladder game requires a lot of concentration and patience), however it’s still usually a good idea to take a moment and think through the decisions you make in a battle.

Luckstard.: What is your next goal at Pokemon? Smogon Tour 19? Frontier?

I don’t really have any particular goals in Pokemon aside from tours I’m already in. Right now i’m focusing on Grand Slam and then OLT comes next. The tournament I’m looking forward to, and so do a lot of people, is definitely SPL. I always have a good time in these team tours.

What do you think about poeple complaining about the BW metagame ("too much matchup reliant", "always the same teams", "boring as fuck", ...)?

I think a lot of it is just bandwagon to be honest. I think XY is just as matchup reliant if not more compared to BW, which is inevitable due to the ever growing number of threats. I think a lot of this notion stems from the fact that it’s easy to generalize teams in BW into “Sand Offense”, “Sand Balance”, “Rain Stall”, “Sun”, etc. However there is still a lot of variation and some creativity you can incorporate even into these archetypes. Sure BW isn’t a perfect metagame, but the whole matchup thing is greatly exaggerated. Even DPP which is probably a genuinely good metagame has its own matchup elements and lead matchup to worry about.

You said you don't want to change anything in XY metagame, is there something you would ban or suspect in BW OU?

I would probably suspect Sun/Drought in BW. If there is any main culprit to the matchup element in BW, it’s definitely sun. It forces you to run Sand, Rain, or if you go weatherless you will have to go with Dragons + Heatran and the like unless you want to lose to sun-boosted fire moves + Chlorophyll + Dugtrio. At least with Rain you have plenty of Water Absorb mons and reliable resists to fall back on, however the same can’t be said about sun.

aim: When will you upload? Your 64 subscribers have been waiting 2 years.
Uploading everyday tryna get y'all to subscribe

Do you expect every team you build to be successful? Or do they just end up that way?

I don’t think all the teams I build are successful, but I do put a lot of thought into them. The teams that people use in tours are generally ones that they have approved and tested with quite a bit as well, so it’s no surprise that they end up working as planned.

Favorite aspect of building? Building wih frens, trying new things, seeing the team work etc.

I enjoy all of those, but the most interesting part to me is coming up with/incorporating unique sets into a team and seeing it work. Building with friends is especially fun because of that!

Opinion on final naruto chapter?

Oh man oh my the last two chapters of Naruto is nothin but a masterpiece. The way the blood coming out of Naruto and Sasuke’s severed hands form an imagery of them holding hands truly symbolizes their reconciliation and the overarching theme of Naruto: friendship, or bros before hoes. The genius of this lies in the fact that they AREN’T actually holding hands, thus things don’t get overly gay. The final chapter is everything you ever wanted and is a fitting end to the best manga of all time: Seeing the little pipsqueaks that are literally the carbon copy or fusion of their parents running around Konoha and preserving the will of fire. I got teary-eyed when Naruto told Bolt-Kun that he is now the father of the whole village and not just him. The Naruto we all knew from chapter 1 has grown up to be a real-ass-Hokage!

Would you be able to beat Ippo in a punch out?

Will I win a fist fight against Somalia? No. I can probably take on Aoki or Kimura though hehe,,

What is your opinion on user John or sadhdkdhdjdkkdjfjth insert letters here and his lie that he would come back with Gen 6?

John is a compulsive liar and this isn’t a surprise to me in the slightest. Don’t need that p-o-s anyway

Please continue to help me do well in tours and practice cause you are a great bud builder battler and fren :] learned a lot from you haha. You're the one who helped me learn that you don't have to be all aggro when playing but can win by making the best possible plays with very little prediction. Nothin buh a fren

:]

blunder: you told me a few weeks back you plan to be top 20-25 in smash 4, has this changed since you've got the game?

Turns out i’m incredibly shit at smash so that dream has come to an abrupt halt as I got slammed into the cold hard concrete wall of reality.

how confident are you in being able to close out the next two rounds of slam and win?

Absolutely confident.

predictions for winner of 2015 kimmy tour?

I see SnowCristal! or Lord Elyis taking it home. Lord Elyis will be especially hungry to win this championship seeing as his participation in Smogon is quite limited now.

ever going to adapt to google+ so you can like my vids?

No but I’ve found a way to snake around google+ and like videos as gr8astard recently, so do not worry the thumbs up and constructive comments will come.

-Tsunami- How good is my Dual Weather Gen 5 team I played you with on the ladder?

Did you know that it’s so good it ended up on this random forum? And to (not) answer your question it’s probably one of the most infuriating teams to face of all time. Props for using Deo-D, Sand Veil Gliscor, and Jirachi on the same team.

If you and Oli did a doubles game against CTC and Blim, who would win?

Me and Oli have the chemistry but ultimately his bad luck will weigh us down.

What's your favorite Pokemon Cypher verse?

G.Yee got the best lines
Spitting next gen bars, XY

Mizuhime: BW or XY? why?

They have their pros and cons, but I’ll go with BW because I have an easier time building in BW than XY. They are both equally enjoyable though. Well, as enjoyable as Pokemon can be.

Favorite tour?

SPL, definitely. Like I said I enjoy team tours a lot, so WCoP is a close second.

Opinion on Edgar the up and coming Canadian ou player

Ed~gar
is
Mexican~_~
Love that guy

after being forced to play Doubles in slam, thoughts on it as a tier?

I have played Doubles a bit in the past, so I know that it takes a lot of skill. There is a lot more going on per turn than Singles, and I understand why some mons that are broken in Singles do just fine in Doubles. There is also a lot more prediction and reading your opponent required in doubles. My only additional thought after playing Doubles in slam (for one game!) is how hard it is to team build for it!!

KratosMana: my nigga.
when you are on a 5050 sucker punch prediction game that will decide who wins, when do you usually attack? 4th turn? 5th? 8th? or do you just wait till all the pps are gone?

The 7th. Always the 7th. There are 7 installments of the Harry Potter series. My birthday is on the 7th. Ron’s kid is named Hugo. Coincidence? I think not.

do you still enjoy this game as much as you did back in the old PO days?

I enjoy the game a little less, because Pokemon can only be interesting for so long. There are still some interesting stuff though, I just don’t have as much time as I did back in my PO laddering days.

thoughts on user FinalFlash and how he plays

I think he is going to be the next @ aim minus the whole fake nice guy persona hehe,,,

Navy Hugooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Would you ever consider playing for another team in WCOP ? If not, will East make a comeback next year ?

No. Yes if PDC comes out of retirement at the tender age of 15.

Are you like blunderr who prefers PO over PS, even though the lack of PO updates and shit ?

No, I used to think that way back but PS is better now. I haven’t played on PO for over a year probably.

What do you think of this user "Helllraiser" ?

I think he’s a troll….haha…

Who do you think would Win an IRL fight, me OR CTC ?

CTC will win hands down. He’s 6’ 7 and weighs 250 pounds, easily the strongest guy in the group aside from bro fist.

How serious are you in Winning a few more trophys ?

Not very serious in terms of targeting myself, I think it’s a waste of time getting worked up over a game we can’t really control (at least a big part of it). Of course I’m still serious about competing but I don’t really have some ambition regarding Pokemon.

Talenheim: 1.) How does one reach out to a known player/user and not annoy them? of the two people I've reached out to, Alexwolf and McMeghan, I'm pretty sure I've annoyed them both to an extent.

Not sure about Alexwolf, but it’s literally impossible to annoy McMeghan. He is the nicest guy ever. Why don’t you pm him one more time.

2.) What's the fastest way to get better at Pokemon, especially if you're a guy who writes posts 100x more intelligent than his playing? if it's getting in touch and/or making friendships with really good people, how do you make those last?

To be blunt I don’t think warming up to “good people” just for that purpose is going to work. Those people especially have a really strong bullshit detector so if you aren’t being genuine people will sense that you want something out of them. While its perfectly understandable, it seems a little uncomfortable in my opinion. I think Smogon has tons of program to help you get better such as tutoring, so perhaps you can go there.
Other than that, I like to think I get better by watching good players play and playing myself. If you’re talking about being good as in participating in tournaments, I’d say there is no substitute for experience so you need to get in there and play, no matter how well you write or theorymon or criticize people in making the wrong play as you watch tour games. Recently a friend of mine played in a ~high profile~ match and lost, and he told me he never really understood the notion of choking in Pokemon “until push comes to shove.” I don’t think a lot of people realize that.

3.) What are some underrated pokemon in the current XY metagame?

“Underrated” is a very subjective term but some mons that I think are worth mentioning: Kyurem-B, Manaphy, Victini, Hawlucha, Suicune

4.) opinion on how to deal with Baton Pass.

No matter whether you win or lose, always call them trash after the battle ended. If you win be sure to type GG, doubly so if you achieved it through hax.

5.) How do you make the OP in a coversation not awkward?

I’ll let user Bloo answer this one.

Edgar: If you were to battle shofu TOMORROW what team would you use, of all the existing pokemon?

I would use Reuben’s team as can be seen here.

Do you think cbb-senpai should stop asking me to take his soul in randbats?

Absolutely. Sometimes he just doesn’t know when to stop (where to start, where to begin!) so you have to whip out your machete and do garden work all over his backyard.

Best way to deal with Hellraiser?

Ignoring him if he’s trolling.

Rewer: wich position do you play in football/soccer? do you watch it? if so, wich team do you want to win ucl?

I used to play as an AM or Forward. However I play more Futsal nowadays, and I play as a defender funnily enough. I still watch it although not as often as I’d like, I do follow a lot of Champions League games though. I want Real Madrid to win it again but it’s never been done in the new format so we’ll see. I admit that I’m not overly loyal to a team though, I just enjoy watching good football.

do you follow any "formula" to build bulki offense teams in xy ou?

Not really a formula but I usually pay extra attention to not lose to certain offensive mons: the DD mons, dark spam, bird spam, rain spam, Excadrill, Greninja. I think these are quite limiting to an extent but at the same time it’s important to ensure that you have at least some ways to play around them.

funniest skype call you ever had with pkmn ppl?

There are a lot of funny moments but these 3 came to mind:
1) When CBB was drunk and kept laughing at everything. That was when the incredibly creative and funny: “JJ? More like GayGay!” was born
2) When we were in call and I snap chatted 2 boxes of Papa John's to PK, and he replied with a snap of 3 boxes of Papa John’s. That person is a monster.
3) When we were playing Habbo Hotel. I can’t give out details on why this is funny.

Last edited:
Hi, great legend. :)

Q: Are you still helping people with team building?

Q: Are you interested in mentoring still? And, if so, can you take me under your wing?

Not here to advertise myself, but I'm trying to be the best of the best like you, aim, Bloo, etc. I need to start somewhere, just how you guys did.

Q: How do you feel about mega salamance? If you have a true creative counter to it, what pokemon is it? Rock Polish Mega DIancie?

Q: do you honestly feel in your heart, there won't be any more new Megas?

Q: Can you please take me under your wing? I don't wanna sound desperate or like a cheerleader, but my burning desire is to be just like the greats here on smogon.

Thanks for your time, :)

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
>Yaboi not in top 5
>has never beaten me in his life
>IDM 3rd in command
>fuck Indonesian food
>never4get ost9
Fuck this poser queer imo idm 4 lyf

Edit:
>posts my squad in the display my team section iit pussE ic how it is
Come week 6 imma cross dis nigga out the list of respectable users bang bang
- fucc niggas gonn multiply

2nd edit:
>G Fucking Yee iit now I rlly see how it is (BAN ME PLEASE) wer fuckin thru gr8 asstard

Last edited:
how weird is it when people who dont know you call you by your real name?

best moment of 2013 wcop that isnt a lizardman quote

do you remember in late 11 / early 12 when we used to play on ladder all the time and cuss each other out over hax? i do. they were good games but man oh man we were going at it with the passion of cbb's contemporary rage against italy

best friends moment?

thoughts on 1994 jennifer aniston?

say one nice thing about dragalge in xy ou

thoughts on rach tatted flores?

describe the irritation that surged through you and caused you to attack one joey pokeaim with the caustic verbal assault of "cause i'm tired, bitch"

what happened to life orb latias? you and her had such a good thing going, man...

tvoje milé slova byly velmi potěšující, chlape. jsi nejlepší :heart:

Last edited:
I should have phrased by BP question differently; from a SUSPECT standpoint, how would you deal with BP? as in, what should the suspect ban?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
ok more questions after reading:
1. You agree that it's impossible to cover every threat while building. How loudly do you curse when the opp team has almost all of those?
2. If your team can only play around greninja, is it acceptable?
3. Though i'm still not sure that i get what IDM is, can i join in?
4. What do you think of Mega Lopunny with, counting it's ability, has perfect neutral coverage with STABs?
5. Do you like to think beyond the big things? Like rather than thinking how Latios and Greninja will fare in ORAS, did you think that Diggersby may drop to UU cos of power and speed creep?
5. Can i pm you to get help with a team that i'm building?
6. Bloo agreed that when he, or some other big player tries something new, it creates a trend. When you see someone running something non-standard yet not too gimmicky, would you look at it in the same way you would if Bloo used it? What's the most non-standard/gimmicky set/mon have you used?

EDIT: also, this is from Bloo's Player of the week

Question 2 - It seems you prefer to build teams with frens rather than alone. Who are the guys you mostly collaborate with? Can I join the crew?

Mostly gr8astard and McMeghan. Ask them if they're cool with you joining the crew and if they say yes, welcome aboard ;)!

so, er, what do you think?

Last edited:
1. I notice that tourney go into long-term tourneys with multiple teams. What do you think the magic ratio of teams to expected battles is for a tourney?
2. When you get closer to the end of a tourney, do you build/use teams that have better match-ups against the announced opponent's known play style preferences or just go with something you're comfortable with?
3. When you're trying out a new team you built, at what point do you decide that the team isn't worth pursuing either because its foundation is faulty or there's no room for optimization?
4. Does Quickpassing actually work in tournaments?
5. Is there a correlation between liking Naruto and being a well-known Pokemon player like you or Bloo? If so, do those of us who only think it's OK ever stand a chance of becoming players with name recognition?

1. Are you going to play or manage next SPL? Which one do you prefer?

2. Do you think that OU council should retest certain banned pokemon (e.g. Mega Mawile, Aegislash) in light of the new ORAS metagame? Do you think some of them would work just fine in ORAS OU?

Thanks.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bit of a story and a long question incoming, so... yeah...

Okay, so I was on smog tours yesterday because of the big games going on (Masterclass vs. Leftiez; Inflikted vs Tsunami), and I stuck around for a little bit afterwards, just idling and checking into see what the topic of conversation was in the chat. At one point, rey mentioned some sort of invitational tour he wanted to host, so I naturally asked him how he would decide who would get invited. He said that he would hand pick because he knows 'who's good and who's shït'. Non seriously, I asked him if I was in the shit category, to which he replied with 'I also don't know you (someone else asked first)'. So then I asked how I could be known, and McMeghan mentioned to join the major tours. So I asked him how to get into these, and he told me to wait for SPL and ask for tryouts on the teams IRC channels.

The reason why I told this story is because it ties into my next question: how do I leave a good impression on these managers? I'm incredibly inconsistent under pressure; at times I've been able to beat some bigger players like Malekith and Zamrock with minimal hax involved quite convincingly, while at other times I choke horribly such as my match against McM in ORAS Celebration. I'm a player who's trying to make a name for myself, so what's the best way to show that I do know what I'm doing on a consistent basis? I want to show that I am capable of playing like this (I'm Hoodatiz in the replay btw), where it's pretty clear that I have the potential to make plays and read my opponent well. I know you, as well as all the previous players I featured in POTW, have said that practice makes perfect, but what's the best way to go about this if I don't really know anyone here? How do I get the practice I need so that when I face these bigger players in more important matches I can show that I'm a worthy opponent and not some luckE n bad skrub?

Sorry about this long ass post that my or am not seem selfish or something, but I'd really appreciate an advice that you could give me ^^;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)