The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

MyArtForum

Banned deucer.
but seriously, who do you think you are kidding?!?! Nerds dont follow sports they sit inside and pay pokemon ALL day and sometimes play witht they're peepee
s' so plz, or a mod will come delete your dumb post and trust in me you dont want that.

McGregor is great. Doubt he could handle a wrestler of Mendez or Edgar quality.

Hopefully Aldo smashes (he will) Mendez and McGregor can somehow get a match with Aldo. I'd love to see it. I'll take Aldo over anyone, though. McGregor stands wide he'd have to be very dynamic to check Aldo's kicks. Regardless. Hopefully McGregor will be here for years to entertain because that's what he does.

My boy Mirsad Bektic is 8-0 and fights at 145. I'm excited to follow his career even if I'm not really a fan of his technique but he's young so we'll see.

-------

Most importantly.. Cain V. is hurt and out of UFC 180. Werdum vs Mark Hunt for interim title..

They said Pride was dead.

Seriously though, fuck injuries. Cain is a GREAT fighter but holy shit. This is UFC's Mexico City card. Must be a HUGE disappointment to the UFC.

If Hunt becomes UFC HW champion that would be incredible. Since we're speculating it should be obvious Werdum subs Hunt pretty easily, however.
I like McGregor but cmon do all of these guys have to talk stupid shit? It's really annoying and dogs that bark, don't bite.

VanGru

McGregor is legitimately good though. And look at the effect his trash talk had on Dustin Poirier. Even McGregor couldn't understand why Poirier took the pre-fight stuff so personally. Plus that guy became a huge star over night largely due to his personality. Lots of fighters seem really upset that he rose so fast.

Aldo wants McGregor, which is great. It's too bad McGregor's getting Siver next. Not interested.

I wish I had money to put on Phil Davis I didn't see any reason why he wouldn't win a UD over Glover. Poor guy is about to decline and start dropping fights.

Agreeing a Cain injury sucks (is it serious enough to warrant an interim title instead of this just being a normal fight?), but Werdum/Hunt should be pretty interesting, I think Hunt takes it with a KO if he avoids getting subbed by Werdum.

Well he should've had a title shot back in 2008 when Brock Lesnar got one for.. being Brock Lesnar, I suppose (he ended up fighting JDS, who nobody knew was good -- and as we all know he came in fat and got knocked the fuck out). So it doesn't totally shock me, he's a pretty good athlete when he trains hard and some fighters (especially in the heavier weights) do seem to remain competitive well into their 30s provided they aren't hit too hard by injuries.

Let's be real here, Lesnar is a beast of a man, he doesn't date people, he goes into the woods and fucks bears.
His downfall is his one-dimensional fighting style.

Always thought Werdum had potential honestly, am I in the minority here?

Nah Werdum's always been a deceptively good fighter. I always underestimate him because he doesn't come off as very dynamic. He's fought top heavies for the last 6-7 years and iirc besides JDS and Overeem fights has looked great.

I still don't see him beating Cain but at least we'll finally see someone other than JDS or Bigfoot fighting Cain over the last 5 years. I don't see this Werdum beating Cain or JDS honestly, tho who the hell knows what kind of fighting JDS will bring in future fights. Werdum is still the most legit opponent for Cain at the time being, so let's see it. Also I agree with Trax on heavies continuing to be good fighters into their 30's. IMO this is because average HWs aren't athletic (comparatively, don't shoot me) to other weight classes. You don't have to be a top athlete to be a top 10 guy at HW. This assumption fails at every other weight class besides Super Heavies. Also it's largely due to a shallow talent pool in the heavyweight division. With Werdum's skill and experience, as long as he doesn't get KOed he has a great chance to sub or nowadays KO anyone himself. Still. Werdum better pull a Werdum over Cain like he did Fedor otherwise he's getting beat the fuck up.

Lesnar's downfall was his struggle with diverticulitis. You could also say his mental game but that doesn't change how dangerous he was/is. Anyone who hangs out near 300 lbs, has wrestling experience, and is ATHLETIC is one dangerous mofo. If Brock developed his BJJ game earlier in life he could of been the Matt Hughes at HW with even more strength compared to his weight class.

If it weren't for his disease (and sweet, sweet WWE deal), I'm confident in saying Lesnar would still be ranked #1 or #2 at HW today. His striking and striking defense would of developed. Supposedly he's looking into fighting again as the WWE seems unlikely to extend his contract.

Who wouldn't take that wwe deal? He get's payed top billing but only shows up a few times per year.

Most wrestlers seem to not be particularily interessted in the submission game, gnp all the way, ofcourse there are exceptions like Sakuraba.

I currently practice Muay Thai, but what got me in to the scene was practicing Wing Chun for 3 years.

the fitness aspect of it made me join in the first place when I still had baby fat to burn as a chubby 15 year old.

I've had a couple local matches within my club a year ago and have had a fun time.

mma is jolly good fun, I've gone to a couple of sessions at my local gym and find it interesting looking at all the techniques developed from different martial arts around the globe.

Most wrestlers seem to not be particularily interessted in the submission game, gnp all the way, ofcourse there are exceptions like Sakuraba.
JMMA scoring and rules were much more conducive to a submission focus than unified imo -- pretty much the reverse when you look at fighters who fought a lot under those rules (though exceptions like Kawajiri always existed).

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I just popped in to say: Frankie Edgar is the fucking best.

He just never gives up, love that guy.

So who else sees the WW belt being tied up again between 2 competitors since Hendricks/Lawler went to a split decision?

Melendez being subbed was more of a shocker though, thought he was gonna win it. Guess Pettis is still the man even after a year long layoff, hopefully he'll stay injury free and make some more defenses as he is fun to watch.

Macdonald can beat either just as they can beat him. Any of the top 5-7 guys could be champ imo.

No GSP-level fighter exists at WW right now

I like the Diaz bros as fighters and would laugh my ass off if Silva get's caught in a submission because everyone is so condescending to Nick.
It's the Octagon, everything is possible, don't forget that Silva has ring rust and vehemently more psychological pressure in this fight.

Good fight. Jones/Cormier matched up well. Was much more competitive than some would make it seem. R1 showed Jones was obviously the better fighter. Round 2 showed what Cormier was capable of doing. The rest was a stale-mate between 2 wrestlers with Jones dictating the pace with his cardio and experience. It was really annoying watching Cormier tying up Jones over and over. No one beats Jones in the clinch. Can't beat Jones on the inside or outside, it's the middle range in round 2 where it was obvious where his strength over Jones was. He should of planned on destroying Jones body and boxing him up to set up takedowns. Overall good fight and would love to see a second meet. Also we found out Jones is a coke-head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)