AbNormal {Community Project} [Voting Phase]

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
We should think of giving the retyped moves to some non-Normal Pokemon IMO. Once we start changing base stats and abilities of Normal types, that is.
Pokemon: Wigglytuff
New type: Fairy/Flying
New moves: +Stockpile, +Spit Up
Justification: I agree with The Reptile on this one. I'm just giving it more balloon moves (Like Qwilfish and Drifblim, Wigglytuff stockpiles and spits up air). So if this could be fused with The Reptile's submission and he has no problem with it, that would be great.
Pokemon: Ursaring
New type: Fairy/Dark
New moves: Moonlight
Justification: Teddiursa has a huge moon in its head, and Ursaring has a new moon (or an eclipse) on its belly. The Fairy type is closely related to the moon, which is related to Ursaring's line. The new moon/eclipse on its belly, along with its menacing look, are the reason for its Dark type.
Pokemon: Zangoose
New type: Dark/Fighting
New moves: Last Resort, Sucker Punch
Justification: It is a menacing Pokemon that has fought for many generations against Seviper. One of Zangoose's STABs becomes not very effective against its arch-enemy. Also, Zangoose already learns quite a few Dark and Fighting type moves.

Move: Giga Impact
New type: Electric
Justification: Its anime animation is a flashy purple thingy with something resembling lightning coming out of it.

Move: Head Charge
New type: Fighting
Justification: When using this move, Boufallant uses its hair and head. There's no Hair type, so I guess Fighting because it is a physical move.
Or what Ghoul King said.
Move: Rock Climb
New type: Bug
Justification: I'm supporting Ghoul King on this one because the addition of it competitively seems cool.
Move: Roar
New type: Dark
Justification: Roar is stated to be terrifying.
Move: Swords Dance
New type: Steel
Justification: Because of its literal name.
Move: Shell Smash
New type: Rock
Justification: Shells are a hard material, and most Shell Smashers are part-Rock type.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
Ursaring
Fighting
Movepool: +Drain Punch

It's a bear! A big, strong bear. We also have another Fighting bear so its not too farfetch'd. It protects it's young and it has huge bear fists. I don't see how Fighting doesnt fit it. It also helps that the bear learns a lot of Fighting-type moves as it is, including Close Combat.

Wigglytuff
Fairy / Flying
Movepool: +Boomburst

Balloons! It's the balloon Pokemon - and its Pokedecs entries talk about it inflating, saying that "When angered, it will suck in air and inflate itself to an enormous size." It also works well with Boomburst, as Jiggypuff is well known for its singing, and Boomburst can be seen as an extreme of that. Plus it would make Wigglytuff somewhat Competitive (ba dum tish)

Zangoose
Dark
Movepool: +Sucker Punch

Dark is probably the best type to justify for it, as it looks menacing and ruthless as it is, although you could try and justify Fighting too. Sucker Punch just adds to its list of Dark moves it can use (Koff, Night Slash, Pursuit, and then the lesser used such as Thief and Payback).

Spinda
Fairy
Movepool: +Play Rough, +Dazzling Gleam

Fairy is pretty much the new Normal now, as it is put in place for things that don't really have much flavor with the other types other than "cute" (which imho Spinda is cute <3). Not much to say here really.

Giga Impact
Dark

Works as a type counter-part to Hyper Beam and, well, Giga Impact is a brutal smack-down, using up all of the user's strength. I think it works.

Rock Climb
Rock

Rock Climb has Rock in its name :^) Seriously though a mastery of Rocks like Rock Climb feels (at least to me) like it should be a Rock-type move to me. It works as a nice alternative between Stone Edge and Rock Slide too, so that's cool. I'm also not feeling the Bug connection tbh - not all bugs can "climb" walls, only some. Then there's the fact that only 1 line learns it natural, 3 lines learn it by breeding, and only 1 learns it by HM. Meanwhile there are 3 Rock-types that get it through breeding, and a lot get it though HM.

Shell Smash
Water

This kind of uses the same logic as the Rock one - most Shell Smashers are Water-types. Plus Withdraw, a move that also has to do with Shells, is Water-type, making Water-type for this better than Rock-type imho.

• What Normal-type moves would you want to have it's type changed for another time?
Whirlwind (because we did Roar), Crush Claw (because Zangoose), Rapid Spin, Explosion, ExtremeSpeed

Last edited:
Ursaring
Fighting
Movepool: +Drain Punch

It's a bear! A big, strong bear. We also have another Fighting bear so its not too farfetch'd. It protects it's young and it has huge bear fists. I don't see how Fighting doesnt fit it.
The existing Fighting bear is a bear kid that becomes a Yakuza bear. Ursaring is a generic bear with a moon theme, that evolved from a cute bear with a moon theme. The one has little to do with the other. Pandas aren't even bears anyway -they're closer to raccoons than they are to bears, genetically.

.... now I kind of want to say "Fairy type" for Ursaring. It actually makes an OK amount of sense. brb editing entry

Wigglytuff
Fairy / Flying
Movepool: +Boomburst

Balloons! It's the balloon Pokemon - and its Pokedecs entries talk about it inflating, saying that "When angered, it will suck in air and inflate itself to an enormous size." It also works well with Boomburst, as Jiggypuff is well known for its singing, and Boomburst can be seen as an extreme of that. Plus it would make Wigglytuff somewhat Competitive (ba dum tish)
I have no flavor objection to Boomburst (It's actually quite odd to me that it doesn't get it), but the Flying type is for things that fly, or at least float. Wigglytuff inflates itself enormously -but no matter how much air it sucks in, it never attains lift-off.

Fairy is pretty much the new Normal now, as it is put in place for things that don't really have much flavor with the other types other than "cute" (which imho Spinda is cute <3).
That's really not what Fairy is about or there would be probably 200+ Fairy types. "Kawaii" is part of the Fairy type, it's really really not the entire thing.

I'm also not feeling the Bug connection tbh - not all bugs can "climb" walls, only some.
The rock walls you climb in-game aren't sheer surfaces, they're 45-degree angles with inadequate grip points. Any bug can climb that -and then plenty of them can hang from a ceiling.

Then there's the fact that only 1 line learns it natural, 3 lines learn it by breeding, and only 1 learns it by HM. Meanwhile there are 3 Rock-types that get it through breeding, and a lot get it though HM.
We're in Gen VI, so the Gen IV HM learnlist is 100% irrelevant -you can't shift Pokemon forward if the move they know is an HM in their generation. The only learnlist that matters for our purposes is the level-up+breeding set of Gen V-VI -which places Bug as firmly ahead of Rock when it comes to Rock Climb, since they have an equal number of lines in total (3 apiece), while Bug has a natural learner and one of the Rock lines (Onix) ceases to be Rock when evolved vs all the Bug lines staying Bug throughout.

Not dissing your submission, just the logic you're using to support it.

Shell Smash
Water

This kind of uses the same logic as the Rock one - most Shell Smashers are Water-types. Plus Withdraw, a move that also has to do with Shells, is Water-type, making Water-type for this better than Rock-type imho.
I would like to point out that Withdraw was originally found exclusively on Water types, while Shell Smash has never been. (Amusingly, the only new Shell Smasher of Gen VI is both types) It's not unusual for a move to be typed to fit the typing of the Pokemon using it, with little regard for the move itself, especially in the first couple of generations. (Though it's also not unusual for a move to be Normal typed in spite of that rendering it sucky -why is Spike Cannon a Normal type move originally exclusive to Cloyster, anyway?)

Spinda
New Typing: Psychic/Fairy
Reasoning: when i first played through emerald and encountered spinda i was convinced it was a psychic type and i even caught one thinking it was good (it wasn't ;;;) i mainly thought this because it had moves like psybeam and confusion which are characteristic of psychic types. i added the fairy because i agree with the reptile's point about it being cute and derpy, basically fitting the fairy type description.

New moves: (we can add three right?) Psycho Boost, Play Rough/Drain punch, Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam
Reasoning: Psycho Boost for contrary abuse and dazzling gleam/moonblast for a STAB special attack. Play rough to be put in the superpower set. I put drain punch in there too because if return is fairy, giving it play rough is useless and drain punch would be a great addition to its contrary superpower set.
I'm struggling to imagine a reason why even a Psychic-typed Spinda would be able to Psycho Boost, beyond the gameplay abuse of Contrary STAB Psycho Boost.

In general, not to speak for Mega Gallade, but in general we're supposed to provide a reasoning that has to do with "flavor", not simply what gameplay uses the changes provide. If you think Psycho Boost (Otherwise exclusive to Deoxys and the Gales of Darkness Lugia) fits to an infinitely dizzy teddy bear that confuses everything around it, and can provide some kind of explanation why you think it fits, go ahead, but you're not supposed to simply go "so Spinda can abuse it with Contrary!"

I'm not picking out any of the others because, honestly, they're all vaguely plausible, and it wouldn't surprise me if Spinda knows one or more of them already -you wouldn't be the first submitter to "add" a move the Pokemon already has, not expecting them to have it.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
In a game where a phallic limbless Pokemon can use slashing moves, and the Pokemon we're talking about can use Superpower with a whooping 5kg, I don't see why not give Spinda Psycho Boost. The community will decide if it makes sense in the Voting Period.
There's a simpler solution: Make Spinda's Psycho Boost an event move.
Edit: Sky Attack was Moltres's signature move in Gen 2, and now even Murkrow can have it.

Sky Attack originated as a TM available to most birds, and since you can trade Pokemon between Gen I/II pretty freely, it really wasn't exclusive to Moltres in Gen II, it was just that Moltres was the only Pokemon that could learn it while in a Gen II cart.

In a game where a phallic limbless Pokemon can use slashing moves
It's neat that Diglett, The Great Mystery, with special code for preventing it from being bounced off the ground by animations such as the Pokeball release animation, is able to do things for reasons we don't understand, but in what way is it a relevant criticism of Pokemon? It's based on a mole/Whack-a-Mole, and we know we've never seen the entire body of Diglett. The movepool just confirms that it has claws (Or an appropriate substitute) somewhere on it.

and the Pokemon we're talking about can use Superpower with a whooping 5kg
What does its weight have to do with its ability to learn Superpower. The original Gen III animation was literally a kamehameha blast (That made contact for some reason) and the only concept visibly at work otherwise is the Pokemon is pushing itself so hard that it exhausts itself, hence the Attack and Defense drop. About the only clue as to why some Pokemon can use it and others can't that I've noticed is that the Colosseum animation instead attached a visual effect to the user's fist, suggesting that it's meant to be a punch -which Spinda absolutely can do, and hey, it has several punching moves to back my interpretation.

I don't see why not give Spinda Psycho Boost.
You have no problem giving a move otherwise available exclusively to two ultra-powerful Legendary Psychic Pokemon to... a dizzy teddy bear. Does it not mean anything to you that we're in Gen VI, it was introduced in Gen III, and nothing has contravened the exclusivity to Deoxys except another Legendary Psychic with a high stat block that only gets it in an event anyway?

Most signature moves that stopped being signature moves did so the generation after they were introduced -Bone Rush showing up on Lucario is the only exception off the top of my head- or had a very clear reason why they stopped being completely exclusive. Crabhammer was exclusive to Kingler, Gen II didn't change this, and then Gen III did -by introducing another crab-like Pokemon to use the move.

Are we interpreting Spinda as a Pokemon with god-like Psychic powers, superior even to mighty Mewtwo? With its stats??

I'd honestly be less bothered by suggesting Overheat or Leaf Storm. They don't really make flavor sense at all, but they at least don't carry the trait that Spinda can somehow do what only god-like Psychics can do. I think it even already gets Flamethrower, so it's not obscenely outside its capabilities.

no i was saying i don't have an argument lol, i just wanted it to have it so i posted it there; i feel like i can do that because it's a pet mod. if it's not good flavorwise or bad in general it'll just either get removed by blade or not get picked while voting.
If everybody thinks like you do rather than like I do, then no, it won't get chopped at voting, it will get voted for.

also, if you have no problem with the typing and have a better suggestion feel free to suggest a better move.
Hey, my own submission is for Psychic. Why would I criticize you for doing what I did?

I gave it Psyshock, for reference, since that's a standard Psychic Pokemon move -one of the only ones it lacks, actually.

Ursaring
Dark/Psychic type
+Sucker Punch, Zen Headbutt

Ursaring are pretty aggressive, and like I mentioned in the Porygon2 submission, space is often represented by Psychic type - Ursaring is probably based on Ursa Major, and it's related to the moon.

Zangoose
Dark/Ground type
+Bulldoze, Earthquake

Mongooses are known to be resistant or immune to snake venoms; I chose Ground type because, well, Rock type doesn't fit at all, Steel type would mean that it can't use Toxic Boost, and same with Poison type, plus mongooses can't use poison. Ghost type might fit though, but tbh ground type seems like it'd make sense more. Dark type because, well, it looks aggressive again.
Also, I really don't want to give it Earthquake, but then even CHANSEY can use it...

uhhh other people already covered the ideas I have

Also, three of the winning submissions are from me? whoa

Last edited:
The zangoose concept is flawed imo, zangoose's main ability ( i mean the one everyone uses) is toxic boost, and steel typing will not let it be poisoned making zangoose a lot less effective. Also, zangoose already gets knock off normally. The ursaring concept is pretty cool tho.
Welp, totally forgot that. Fixed now.

no i was saying i don't have an argument lol, i just wanted it to have it so i posted it there; i feel like i can do that because it's a pet mod. if it's not good flavorwise or bad in general it'll just either get removed by blade or not get picked while voting. also, if you have no problem with the typing and have a better suggestion feel free to suggest a better move.
MegaGallade said:
However, a submission will not be accepted if it is like this:
Pokemon: Dunsparce
New type: Dragon/Fire
New moves: +Spacial Rend, +Roar of Thyme, +Blast Burn, +Dragon Rush, +Magikarp's Revenge
Justification: Dunsparce is awsome.​

Sorry, but rules are rules. As shown in the example, signature moves are very unlikely to be allowed. I'm afraid I will have to remove 'Psycho Boost', but I can allow the other moves instead. Please don't take this personally, as I said the rules are rules.
Also, please call me 'MegaGallade' or 'Gallade', not 'Blade'. :P

Remember guys, please try to use Design (E.g. Kangaskhan is based on a Kangeroo who are thought to be good boxers), Movepool (E.g. Stantler has a lot of Psychic moves in it's movepool) and Comparison-To-Others (E.g. xxxx gets Play Rough and since Ambipom has a similar design, it should learn it too) justification.​

Pokemon: Ursaring
New type: Fighting/Dark
New moves: +Sucker punch
Justification: Ursaring have a good amount of fighting and dark type moves in it move pool and it pretty aggressive.

Move: Swords Dance
New type: Fighting
Justification: It seem fighting type using sword to boost their attack

It's Voting Time!
If you do not know how to vote, please read the OP.

Fairy <No new moves> (Ghoul King)
Fairy/Dark <+Moonlight> (the someone)
Fighting <+Drain Punch> (The Reptile)
Dark/Psychic <+Sucker Punch, +Zen Headbutt> (zerobreaker000)
Fighting/Dark <+Sucker Punch> (money12wolf)

Fairy <+Moonblast> (Ghoul King)
Fairy/Flying <+Spit Up, +Stockpile, +Boomburst> (the someone/The Reptile) *If The Reptile would not want his entry fused with the someone's, please notify me. For now they are fused for similarity and request purposes.

Dark/Fairy <+Play Rough> (Ghoul King)
Dark/Fighting <+Last Resort, +Sucker Punch, +Drain Punch> (the someone/imas234) *If either the someone or imas234 would not want their entry fused with eachother, please notify me. For now they are fused for similarity purposes.
Dark <+Sucker Punch> (The Reptile)
Dark/Ground <+Bulldoze, +Earthquake> (zerobreaker000)

Psychic <+Psyshock> (Ghoul King)
Fairy <+Play Rough, +Dazzling Gleam> (The Reptile)
Psychic/Fairy <+Moonlight, Psyshock, Knock Off> (imas234) *Note Recover has been removed due to the limit of three moves and three moves only. Sorry, rules are rules. If imas234 would like a different move removed instead, please notify me.
Fire <+Overheat, +Fire Punch, +Flare Blitz> (MegaGallade) **It may seem crazy at first, but trust me, it makes a bit of sense. First of all Spinda is partially based on the Red Panda, and along with it's coloration, both have red parts of the body, and red is often associated with Fire. Secondly, Spinda in Hoenn is found in a Volcanic Route, Route 113, and Spinda in Sinnoh are found in a Route before a Volcano, Route 227. Fire Punch and Flare Blitz are visual moves as Spinda is a fire type learning Tackle and other 'Punch' moves so by logic should learn those moves too. Overheat is only really for competitive usage. Lastly, this is a rare occasion when a Normal type Pokemon can be retyped into a Fire type, much like Ghoul King's Bug-type Rock Climb submission.

Dragon (Ghoul King)
Electric (the someone)
Dark (The Reptile)
Fighting (imas234)

Same type as Boufallant * (Ghoul King/imas234)
Fighting (the someone)

*Yes, this is possible. If this submission wins, then next time we do Boufallant, this move will automatically be Boufallant's type.

Bug (Ghoul King/the someone)
Rock (The Reptile)

Dragon (Ghoul King)
Dark (the someone)

Fighting (Ghoul King/money12wolf)
Steel (the someone)

Rock (Ghoul King/the someone)
Water (The Reptile)

To keep the thread alive, here are a few discussion points from the previous week's changes and more:
  • Which entries for this week do you agree/disagree with? [Remember: Be to the point and decisive, no hate]
  • Do you think any of last week's retyped Pokemon will get more usage because of these retypes?
  • What new sets can be made using last week's retypes?
  • Which/Do Pokemon gain/lose an advantage from Electric type Tri Attack, Dark type Hyper Beam or Steel type Slash?
  • Are there any unanswered questions you want to know specifically about this Pet Mod? If so, please tag me when asking the question and I will reply.
Once again, thanks for submitting, and get voting!

Which entries for this week do you agree/disagree with? [Remember: Be to the point and decisive, no hate]
I've already harassed people with why I disagree with their logics or ideas, with one major exception: Head Charge as Fighting? Buh?

Well, there's some others I haven't touched -Swords Dance doesn't involve actual swords so talking about actual swords doesn't have real relevance to it, for instance- but I don't really feel like going over them this time, if I haven't already.

I do kind of wish people weren't so quick to type anything with a nasty/dangerous streak as Dark type though. Pokemon are all quick to beat each other into unconsciousness, so being Dark per se must represent a pretty high threshold for nastiness or involve other characteristics, otherwise there wouldn't be a Dark type at all -there'd just be Pokemon.

Do you think any of last week's retyped Pokemon will get more usage because of these retypes?
Kecleon hasn't really changed at all because it's always got either Color Change or Protean anyway, and Dark isn't any more resistant to entry hazards or anything. Mostly it's easier to incidentally KO it on a switch-in (Vulnerable to Fighting, Bug, and Fairy instead of just Fighting) and its switch-in immunity has moved from Ghost to Psychic. I guess Color Change Kecleon appreciates being able to immediately STAB Sucker Punch, but who runs Color Change Kecleon?

Porygon2 has a nasty set of STABs that it doesn't really care about because it's not that offensive anyway -instead it gets the wonderful scenario of being vulnerable to Knock Off, which it already hates. And vulnerable to Earthquake, which is everywhere.

Porygon-Z is, amusingly enough, basically a straight upgrade over Porygon2 in typing, since as I've talked about elsewhere Ghost is just a better defensive typing than Psychic straight up (Barring Psychic's resistance to Psychic) and it's overall a better offensive typing too. Scarf Adaptability Porygon-Z will be nastier than ever, doing doubled damage with Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt -and while they're not specifically complimentary, they're both widely effective moves regardless. It'll be walled by Diggersby, for instance, but on the whole I foresee Porygon-Z becoming a solid OU threat -and possibly not just Scarf variants. Being immune to trapping is particularly valuable for Scarf variants who might otherwise fear being locked into the wrong move by Gothitelle/Mega Gengar/Dugtrio. (Ground type with Arena Trap: switch in on Thunderbolt, laugh maniacally. Except Z can switch out because Ghost)

Farfetch'd will be a little better overall, but now instead of competing with a zillion error: type missing/Flying birds that are all below OU, now it will be competing with the actually good but also below OU-tier Hawlucha. And its stats are still crap. But it might carve out a niche in... NU or PU or whatever it sits at I can't be bothered to look.

Which/Do Pokemon gain/lose an advantage from Electric type Tri Attack, Dark type Hyper Beam or Steel type Slash?
Slash provides good anti-Fairy coverage for Gallade, Blaziken, and Pangoro -they all get Poison Jab, but Steel types are immune to that where they're only resistant to Steel, and for instance a Sturdy Steel type will resent that you broke its Sturdy, as will any Sashed non-Sturdy examples such as Lucario. Several Dark types also appreciate Steel type Slash -most obviously Malamar, who has no real answer to them in normal play and its preferred move (Superpower) is resisted by them while it is vulnerable to them. A bunch of Bug types also get Slash, though Crustle is the only one of the top of my head that I don't think has better options. Maybe also Shedinja? And as for Dragons, Haxorus, Mega Charizard X (Tough Claws!), and a few Legendaries get Slash but not Iron Head. Haxorus would love to replace the crappy Poison Jab with the slightly weaker but more generally useful Slash. There's probably other Pokemon I'm not thinking of at all -Pokemon who are normally walled by a specific Fairy and get Slash, for instance- but these are the obvious ones to look at: the Pokemon who STAB is walled by Fairies.

Tri Attack is something for Dugtrio, finally giving it a reliable answer to most Flying types. (Rock Slide is even weaker and can miss, and its Special Attack isn't that much lower than its Attack) That's... about it, that I can find. It's now competing with Thunderbolt, and Dugtrio is literally the only Ground type that learns it. I won't be surprised if there's some Pokemon that is fond of it, but I can't find it. I'd say it takes away STAB from a bunch of Pokemon that relied on it, except that really depends on how we re-type them -Porygon is fine with it as is, and in fact frees up a move slot because it goes from Tri Attack/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball to Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball for reliable coverage.

Hyper Beam means every Ghost and Psychic type has to fear every vaguely competent Special Attacker springing instant death on it. Overall though, Hyper Beam has always been held back most by the problems that come with a recharge turn. There will almost certainly be niche uses for it, some Pokemon or another who would love to use it to deal with a specific problem and has the move slot to spare, but nothing that jumps to mind.

Tri-Attack is good for Hydreigon, as it now can hit Azumarill and Togekiss, as well as miscellanous Waters, reliably. It didn't get Thunderbolt before.
Togekiss might also use it, idk, it doesn't appreciate Electric coverage as much as Hydreigon does.
Just use Stone Edge on Dugtrio, really.

Hyper Beam is still very bad, being locked for a turn is too big of a downside.

I also think that Poison Jab is better than Slash because Grass types are mostly more relevant than Rock and Steel types. Also Azumarill is a very relevant fairy weak to Poison but not Steel.

Porygon2 looks quite bad because of its weakness to ubiquitous typing, while Porygon-Z looks good instead because Electric-Ghost is good coverage and is even backed up by Adaptability.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Tri-Attack Dugrio is just...no. Duggy has 50 SpA vs 80 Atk, and requires you to split your EVs (or go full special, which....lel)

4 SpA Dugtrio Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 136-164 (39.8 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 158-188 (46.3 - 55.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Dugtrio Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 196-232 (57.4 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

that's a Water / Flying Mew. Stone Edge outdamages Tri-Attack something that's 4x weak electric when its not fully invested, and only just barely beats it vs something that's 4x weak to electric when fully invested. Just run Stone Edge kids.

You could go full special, but you have 50 SpA goddamnit (Dodrio outdamages you with Tri Attack. Fucking Dodrio. And Fearow outdamages both of them!). It's so weak you can't even use it to trap Skarm unless you go full special, in which case just run Mag

252 SpA Life Orb Dugtrio Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 169-200 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Dugtrio Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 117-140 (35 - 41.9%) -- 85.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hydreigon is cool with Tri-Attack though. Smacks some fairies around with electric moves. You could use it on Magneton / P2 / P-Z if Tbolt's para chance isn't enough RNG for you, but yea it's kind of only good on Hydreigon. Still, it being good on one mon is pretty good.

Thanks for feedback on the entries! Votes are in!
Ursaring
Fairy/Dark +Moonlight (By the someone )
Wigglytuff Fairy/Flying +Spit Up, +Stockpile, +Boomburst (By the someone and The Reptile )
Zangoose
Dark +Sucker Punch (By The Reptile )
Spinda Fire +Overheat, +Fire Punch, +Flare Blitz (By MegaGallade )

Giga Impact Dark (By The Reptile )
Head Charge (Same type as Boufallant) (By Ghoul King and imas234 )
Rock Climb Bug (By Ghoul King and the someone )

Roar Dragon (By Ghoul King )
Swords Dance Steel (By the someone )
Shell Smash Rock (By Ghoul King and the someone )

Thanks to all that submitted!
And now...

Pokemon

Tauros
Miltank
Boufallant (Note: If the winning submission of Boufallant has two types, Head Charge's type will be decided during next week's discussion points)
Snorlax

Damaging moves

Horn Attack
Body Slam
Retaliate

Status moves

Protect
Recover
Slack Off

Get submitting!

Thanks for the feedback on certain discussion points, here are the current discussion points:
  • Should we change certain moves' typing without voting? For example: Whirlwind will be Flying type by default as no other type really fits it.
EDIT: Sorry for forgetting to update the OP stating it was Voting Phase. Hopefully I won't mess it up again in the future!

Last edited:
Tauros
Ground type

There isn't much flavor in Tauros' pokedex entry lol, only ground type seems to fit with it being a bull.

Miltank
Fairy type
+Play Rough

Wow this one is even worse. About the only thing that would have a chance to fit is Fairy type via the pink color, and even then it's a stretch.

Bouffalant
Ground/Fighting type
+Bulk Up

Yeah this one doesn't make much sense either (nothing does tbh), just a cool typing to differentiate it from Tauros. Well buffalo do like fighting sometimes so...

Snorlax
Poison type
+Gunk Shot, Poison Jab, Gastro Acid

"Its stomach's digestive juices can dissolve any kind of poison." That's the best I can come up with ._.

Horn Attack
Bug type
Megahorn, the move that seems the most similar, is also Bug type.

Body Slam
Ground type
The closest I can find to a flavor is its chinese name, which basically means crushing something with the force akin to a whole mountain.

Retaliate
Fighting type
"The user gets revenge for a fainted ally." Revenge is a Fighting type move.

Protect
Psychic type
This is due to Reflect, Light Screen and Magic Coat all being Psychic type moves.

Recover
Grass type
Grasses have some impressive regeneration abilities.

Slack Off
Same type as Slaking
Self-explanatory. I just don't see ANY flavor for any type.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Tauros
Dark/Steel
Tauros is menacing, violent and angry rampage-lover. Tauros also has metallic horns and pebbles in his head.

Miltank
Fairy/Steel (+Play Rough, +Iron Head)
Miltank's name comes from milk + tank(the liquid storage one), the latter usually being made of metal. Miltank also learn Gyro Ball by level-up. It is also pink, female-only species that fits the theme of Fairy type.

Tauros and Miltank are supposed to be connected to each other, so both having the same secondary typing would be nice IMO.

Snorlax
Psychic
Many sleep-themed Pokemon are Psychic type (Munna line, Drowzee line and Cresselia). Rest is a Psychic type move, and Snorlax is the Sleeping Pokemon.

Horn Attack
Bug
Agreed with zerobreaker000. Not to mention this is probably the last possibility for a Bug type move.
Body Slam
Flying
Body Slam is basically Bounce already (Same BP, chance of paralysis because of the same reason). In the anime, the Pokemon jumps and slams the opponent with its body. Also because retyping a physical move to Flying type is a rare opportunity.
Retaliate
Dark
Retaliate is an angry-driven attack. Its battle animation darkens the screen.

Protect
Psychic
Agreed with zerobreaker000. Just adding that Barrier is also a Psychic type move.
Recover
Psychic
Rest is Psychic type. zerobreaker000 Synthesis already has the theme of plant's regeneration. I know Recover, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled and Milk Drink are the same type, but they have different reasoning to them.
Slack Off
Fighting
Because of the same reason the Chimchar line learns it. The fighter slacks off on its arduous training.

Last edited:
I thought I might as well put my own submissions in a different post, so here I go.
Bouffalant
Fighting/Dark
+Sucker Punch, +Sky Uppercut, +Zen Headbutt

It's dex entries state it's fierce nature and massive strength, which is reminiscent of many Fighting types. It's design however seems more like a Dark type due to it's dark hair and black tear markings. I know it has no fists, but Sucker Punch's Japanese name is 'Surprise Attack', and would be decent STAB. Sky Uppercut is one of the only fitting Fighting type move IMO, as it's entries also state it can throw an opponent into the air, which is similar to Sky Uppercut's info. I'm surprised it doesn't know Zen Headbutt already, and it is just logic to me.

Snorlax
Psychic
+Gastro Acid

Snorlax gets more Psychic type moves than I imagined, woah. Snorlax is known to rest a lot, and the move rest is associated with the Psychic type. It's high Special Defense is also similar to how most Psychic types have high Special Defense. And like Slowpoke and Slowbro, it is very lazy- and for some reason Slowpoke and Slowbro are also part Psychic. Gastro Acid is obvious due to the dex mentioning how strong it's digestive juices are.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the someone!!

Horn Attack
Rock
Horns of Pokemon are shown to be very durable and rock-like, so Rock is a likely choice. Rock is also the 2nd most common type that can learn Horn Attack. (Ground is first, but Rock seems more similar to a Horn)

canno

formerly The Reptile
Tauros
Steel / Fighting
Movepool: +Submission, +Close Combat

Tauros is tricky, but I think this typing works. Steel is because of his steel-looking parts on his face - if Lucario can get away with it, I don't see why Tauros can't. As for fightnig, Tauros not only loves to fight, but it is also prideful of its warscars (as said in the Pokedex) and is always rampaging. Plus its always angry. While this sounds like a Dark-type, it could fit as a Fighting-type in the same way Primeape is a Fighting-type - it just loves to fight. Submission is more of a flavor attack than anything - Close Combat is its actually good STAB.

Miltank
Fairy
Movepool: +Play Rough, +Dazzling Gleam, +Drain Kiss

Pretty much adding to zerobreaker's post flavor wise. I'm going from a different angle here though and comparing it to Xerneas - you see, cows are very sacred animals in certain cultures, and Fairy (at least imo) is the closes thing we have to a type that fits sacred and legendary creatures outside of maybe Dragon (please no Dragon Miltank - that's silly). It also doesn't help that it has the signature Pink color of Fairies, has a good and caring nature, and doesn't seem to fit well into any other type. Just adding some moves because it has no Fairy-types moves. It's probably only going to use Return but whatever.

Bouffalant
Fighting / Ground
Movepool: +Submission, +Close Combat, +Mud Sport

More flavor for zerobreaker! Bison (and Buffalo in general) love to fight. They spar with each other, so that's the reasoning for Fighting. It also ties in with Tauros, as they are similar, so that's kawaii. Ground actually has some flavor - Bison love to wallow in soil. They cover themselves in mud and dirt for various reasons, and this behavior ties them closer to Ground than any other type. A lot of moves here, but most are Flavor. As a Ground-type, there's no reason it shouldn't get Earth Power. Submission is flavor, Close Combat is the real STAB here (Although I suspect Head Charge will become Fighting, it could become Ground and I want to make sure it gets a good Fighting STAB no matter what). Finally, I just finished adding the rest of the Mud moves onto it - it already gets Mud Shot and Mud-Slap.

Snorlax
Psychic / Ground
Movepool: +Zen Headbutt (Level-up), +Gastro Acid, +Earth Power

Ok so Snorlax ties in with Psychic for many reasons (Rest is Psychic, many sleep-mons are Psychic, ect.). However, I decided to also add in Ground because I feel that Ground ties in best for a fat and heavy best - something that can't even jump. It also ties in with the idea of a strong Earthquake, as it can do it really easily with its fat-ness. Also mamoswine gets Thick Fat. I know this is really weak flavor, but I wanted to post something that wasn't just Psychic.

All of the attacks are pretty much covered that I would submit, so yeea. Also

• Should we change certain moves' typing without voting? For example: Whirlwind will be Flying type by default as no other type really fits it.
The only way I see this working is if we vote for what moves would get their type changed without voting. I think its simpler if we just vote for all Normal-type moves, even the obvious ones. If you feel that it's really obvious (like Whirlwind) then you could slap it on as an extra in the submission (i.e. have 4 status moves and 3 attack moves for Whirlwind).

Last edited:
Steel is because of his steel-looking parts on his face - if Lucario can get away with it, I don't see why Tauros can't.
Lucario is literally Wolverine-the-Pokemon. Its bones are Steel. Tauros does not have bones of Steel. Why do people think Steel typed Lucario is ridiculous?

Horn Attack
Bug type

Why: Horn Attack is really meant to represent things like antlers, but that's not particularly suggestive of a typing -so I'm OK with jumping on the bandwagon with "hey Megahorn exists and it's Bug".

Body Slam
Steel type

Why: There are a lot of Steel moves that are "the user slams their body into the foe" -I would guess because it's a way to fit the Steel typing in ("I hit them with my metal body! Thus it is a metal attack!") but it's a pattern I'm willing to latch onto for lack of a better idea.

Retaliate
Dark type

Why: REVENGE. It's basically either that or Fighting, depending on if you take the stance that "retaliation" is justified revenge or non-justified revenge.

Protect
Psychic type

Why: Invulnerable magical shell of perfect protection summoned seemingly from nothing but pure will.

Recover
Dragon type

Why: Wait don't run away! Thing is, the Japanese name is regeneration, as in, cell regeneration. Reptiles are known for things like regenerating lost tails, Dragon is the only type that has a particularly reptilian association, and Dragons are often spoken of as having great vitality!

The only flaw is that Dragons don't actually get Recover. But there's moves that are almost never found on Pokemon of their type: Will O Wisp has always been Fire but when it first came along Ninetales was the only Fire type to actually get it!

Slack Off
Psychic type

Why: Oddly enough, relaxing seems to be associated with the Psychic type. I guess because meditation and so on? Slack Off is getting relaxed.

Tauros
Ground type
+?

Why: I actually thought it was a Ground type when I first saw it.The coloration in part, but also just the fact that it was big and bulky and land-bound (It's not exactly going to be a great jumper), and in Stadium it always seemed to know Earthquake. Not sure what you'd add though, at that point.

Bouffalant
Rock/Water type
+Waterfall, Stone Edge, Aqua Jet

Why: Water buffalo! And because it's a big solid Pokemon whose whole thing is having afro for an armor which... suggests no type at all... but I'm going with it anyway!

Miltank
Fairy/Ground
+Play Rough, ?

Why: Female counterpart to Tauros (If I recall correctly Miltank can produce Tauros eggs, even), only girly and cute and Whitney's favorite. It's a bit pedestrian of an animal for Fairy, but error: type missing being removed is the whole point!

Snorlax
Fairy
+Play Rough, Draining Kiss

Why: It's a weirdly mysterious animal for something that lays down and blocks roads, it seems to have a non-standard biology (Inasmuch as any Pokemon has a standard biology) which a number of Fairies seem to have, and it's honestly one of the only Pokemon I've ever found... adorable. Fat and all.

Should we change certain moves' typing without voting? For example: Whirlwind will be Flying type by default as no other type really fits it.
If five+ people submit basically the same thing, and nobody submits a different thing, I'd skip voting. But I don't think there's any Normal type move that is just "obviously" blah type and not worth discussing -if it were, it would've been that type in the first place! It might speed things up -or bog us down when people get into more arguments they're more invested in because blah type for such and such move is obvious to some people and @#%$ to others.

Audino/Audino-Mega
Mono-Fairy
+Moonblast, +Moonlight
Explanation: Audino is a benevolent pokemon that becomes part Fairy-Type upon mega evolution. It is a medic, so it should be able to heal itself with moonlight.

Audino/Audino-Mega
Mono-Fairy
+Moonblast, +Moonlight
Explanation: Audino is a benevolent pokemon that becomes part Fairy-Type upon mega evolution. It is a medic, so it should be able to heal itself with moonlight.
We're doing this in chunks, and Audino isn't part of the current batch. Come back later when we get to Audino. (Or submit stuff for the current batch)

Audino/Audino-Mega
Mono-Fairy
+Moonblast, +Moonlight
Please remove your submission and read through the thread properly. I appreciate your submission however as a great man once said: "It isn't the time to do that."

Bouffalant
Rock/Water type
+Waterfall, Stone Edge, Aqua Jet
A Rock/Water... with access to Sap Sipper... Not saying this is a bad submission, just wanted to point that out.

Bouffalant
Fighting / Ground
Movepool: +Submission, +Close Combat, +Earth Power, +Mud Sport, +Mud Bomb

More flavor for zerobreaker! Bison (and Buffalo in general) love to fight. They spar with each other, so that's the reasoning for Fighting. It also ties in with Tauros, as they are similar, so that's kawaii. Ground actually has some flavor - Bison love to wallow in soil. They cover themselves in mud and dirt for various reasons, and this behavior ties them closer to Ground than any other type. A lot of moves here, but most are Flavor. As a Ground-type, there's no reason it shouldn't get Earth Power. Submission is flavor, Close Combat is the real STAB here (Although I suspect Head Charge will become Fighting, it could become Ground and I want to make sure it gets a good Fighting STAB no matter what). Finally, I just finished adding the rest of the Mud moves onto it - it already gets Mud Shot and Mud-Slap.
That's five moves, sorry but the limit is three. There is no exception, rules are rules. :/

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Bouffalant
Fighting/Rock
Movepool: +Head Smash, +Cotton Guard, +Close Combat, +Rock Wrecker
Cotton Guard because Afro.
The part Fighting is pretty much like The Reptile's reason, bison love to fight. Close Combat is like a must for all Fighting types. As for the part Rock, however, STAB STONE MISS YES it uses its head to bash into things. It would need a strong head for the best result, and you can say that it has a "rock head", giving the meaning of part Rock. Head Smash can explain itself *cough, powered up by Reckless, cough* and Rock Wrecker sounds like it would use its head to hit hard on something.

Thanks you for taking the time to read this! :P Cya around!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)