The Smogon MixTape (1k Extravaganza)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
rotom banner.jpg

Credit to brightobject for the great banner

So I bet when you first take a look at this thread, you are expecting a normal music thread but thats where you are wrong. This where you will find the best of the best in all the general genres. This would be the ultimate music hot spot because it will include music everyone will love in all genres. So....

Welcome to The Smogon MixTape! (and my 1k post!)

So how does it work? Well first, a genre is chosen by me although suggestions can be made. The genres will be generalized since there are just too many types of music to do them all. These genres can range from alternative, blues, classical, country, electronic, folk, funk, jazz, latin, metal, punk, pop, rap, reggae, r&b, rock, classic vgm(16 bit video game music or older), modern vgm(32 bit video game music or newer) and world.

After a genre is chosen, everyone can choose up to three songs they would like to nominate. Everyone will have 48 hours to choose their song. Then the top three songs will be added to the list. If there are ties, everyone will have 24 hours to vote up to four nominees. This process will repeat itself until the list reaches 12 songs. Feel free to renominate music from past rounds if you think a song from a past round should be on the list. Also feel free to type why you think a song should be on the list. It may just convince the others to nominate the song as well.

Music List

Alternative-
Blues-
Classical-
Country-
Electronic-
Folk-
Funk-
House-
Indie-
Jazz-
Latin-
Mashups-

Metal-
Punk-
Pop-
Hip Hop-
Reggae-
R&B-
Rock-
Classic VGM-
Modern VGM-
World-

For our next genre, we will do MASHUPS!

You can start nominating songs right away. Have fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Now for what you all been waiting for, the shout outs! Yes I know. I took forever getting this out but better late than never! So anyway, I want to give a shout out to all the great people on this site. You are all great and are awesome to talk to.​

Special shoutouts to my friends in the sprite project. You guys were the first group of people I became friends with. What we do benefits thousands of people and I'm looking forward to when we finally complete the project and look back at the great work we all did. I know I kinda took a break from animating because of school getting tough but I'll try doing a bit every now and then!

Another special shout out to my boys in the us east. I said it before but I want to thank you guys again for putting your trust in me and helping the team reach the finals. The trophy will be ours for sure next year!

One more special shoutout for everyone I talk to in convos, irc and showdown (mostly from the old gens and game corner rooms). You guys are awesome to hang out with and always find ways to keep things interesting.​

Even if you are not in the shoutouts (since I'm bound to forget someone), you all make me want to stick around and do what I can to make this better than it already is. n_n

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
interesting 1k
ok some of my favourite metal songs
Bury Tomorrow - Lionheart
Outcry Collective - Dead in the Water
Alestorm - Shipwrecked
Avenged Sevenfold - Turn The Other Way
:]
fuck 3 is too few :p

Well, being a huge metal fan, I'll give you one song of some of my favorite bands:

Dream Theater - Blind Faith
Liquid Tension Experiment - Universal Mind
Masterplan - Black Night of Magic

There, brought down to 3.
Kyuzeth out.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Wait so is this a pokemon mixtape or music in general? I realize the vgm is a seperate genre, but am I allowed to send in vgm that relates to the theme?

Thanks for tagging me BTW

Ok let's start this up with some classics

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
It's Iron Maiden. It's arguably the best song they've recorded (you could make a case for a couple, but eh). A spine-chilling tale of a man sentenced to death, this song should not be missing from the metal list. I'm not gonna write an essay about it because then people wouldn't listen to it. I'm also lazy

Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
Opener on one of the best metal albums of all time. The quintessential Megadeth song. Basically everything about this song rules. Mustaine's vocals might put someone off but meh, he was literally a god in his prime.

Insomnium - Mortal Share
I might not enjoy Insomnium's new stuff too much, but this tune is still pure gold.

Also I demand Ska to be added to the list, or else I'll nominate Streetlight Manifesto songs for literally every other genre.

RODAN wtf do power metal and DSO have in common o_O (though they obviously rule)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
First off, changing the nominating period from 3-5 days to 48 hours just because I don't think the extra time is necessary. Think we're getting enough posts in that time.
Well, being a huge metal fan, I'll give you some of my favorite songs per band. Most of these can be relatively long, but here I go anyways:

Dream Theater
- Take the Time
- Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
- Innocence Faded
- A Mind Beside Itself
- Overture 1928
- The Spirit Carries On
- Blind Faith

Liquid Tension Experiment
- Kindred Spirits
- Universal Mind

Masterplan
- The Game
- Black Night of Magic

I may still update this post whenever more songs/themes come up, but this is it for now.
Kyuzeth out.
Try bringing this down to 3 songs. You could always nominate the others in the next round.

Wait so is this a pokemon mixtape or music in general? I realize the vgm is a seperate genre, but am I allowed to send in vgm that relates to the theme?

Thanks for tagging me BTW
Its music in general but to answer your question, if you feel that it really fits into the current genre, go for it. (i.e. vgm remixes for electronic)

First off, changing the nominating period from 3-5 days to 48 hours just because I don't think the extra time is necessary. Think we're getting enough posts in that time.

Try bringing this down to 3 songs. You could always nominate the others in the next round.

Its music in general but to answer your question, if you feel that it really fits into the current genre, go for it. (i.e. vgm remixes for electronic)
Brought it down to my 3 absolute faves per band.

Aye Typh I know we talked about this before, but what is Alternative as a specific genre? Because surely alt-rock, alt-pop, alt-etc fall under their respective genre.

Reactions: g

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Aye Typh I know we talked about this before, but what is Alternative as a specific genre? Because surely alt-rock, alt-pop, alt-etc fall under their respective genre.
alternative will most likely include all three unless everyone thinks that 12 songs is not enough to show off the genre.

alright boys here we go... what would we start with other than Slayer's Postmortem. one of the more underrated tracks from their '86 magnum opus, it starts off significantly slower than the rest of the album, at "only" a slightly faster than mid-paced tempo. suddenly they step on the gas pedal, pull off possibly the quickest buildup in metal (and do more in that short amount of time than any prog metal meandering can do in 10+ minutes) and explode into a vicious climax of unmatched ferocity. fuckin thrash

next up is Atheist's Retribution. thrashy, jazz-inspired technical death metal. unlike the horrible modern techdeath bands who are more or less parodies of the genre thanks to their vapid, hilariously overdone wankery and/or brutality, atheist know how to write good, fluid music, using their chops and jazz influence to push their metallic aggression into new territory. probably my favorite guitar solo as well, it's impossible to not love that shit

finally we have Sacramentum's Cries from a Restless Soul. equal parts black metal fury and neoclassical beauty, these swedes' first album is a prime example of how to properly use melody in an extreme metal subgenre, never letting up on the assault and avoiding the dreaded pit of cheesy melodrama. the final segment that begins at 3:30 and finishes the song qualifies as the most gorgeous music i've ever heard. best listened to at night.

Morbid Saint's Crying for Death - heavy as fuck by today's standards but utterly unbelievable for 1988, this is pounding death/thrash with a cutthroat guitar tone like a revved up chainsaw. they took heavy influence from the most extreme bands at the time, slayer / kreator / sepultura / death / possessed, and managed to sound more savage than all of them.

Mercyful Fate's The Oath - the pinnacle of traditional heavy metal. less extreme than the other tracks, sure, but on par with all of them in terms of quality. 5:42 - 6:28 is my favorite moment in metal, period. dismissing this band because of king diamond's voice is one of the worst things a metal fan can do, but i'm sure you won't, because that would be extraordinarily dumb of you

At the Gates' Windows - their debut was the first of the swedish bands who took an extreme sound and infused it with melody, and as such, despite being a death metal band, are predecessors of the mid-90s melodic black metal wave started by dissection, dawn and sacramentum.

"If you deny death metal is an artform you haven't listened to this album" - some guy on RYM

Eldrig's Death to the Unwilling - american black metal and 00s black metal are usually nothing short of atrocious, but this 00s american black metal album is nothing short of incredible. from oregon comes this blistering, epic piece of black metal evoking influences from the likes of wagner and mozart as much as burzum and darkthrone. if you're an avid fan of dead can dance, there's something in the later part of this track that sounds very much like a track off within the realm of a dying sun, it's instantly recognizable.

Reactions: g
Opeth - Demon of the fall
Probably my favorite Opeth song, cool story, the scream is "accessible" (i know a lot of metal singers who are ruining some nice riffs) and the outro with the clean part is clearly beautiful. (old song, 240p is shit i know)

Andy James - War march
Andy James is one of the rare guitar player who are way better alone that in a band, he is one of the most talented guitar player of the "next-generation" of metal and his whole album (Andy james - Andy james, kek) is worth listening.

Joe Satriani - Crowd chant
The reason you want to go to a rock/metal concert (i don't really know if you can consider it as a metal guitar player, but some of his songs are a bit on the metal-side, and this song is too awesome to not share it)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Noticed that just having electronic is not gonna cut it. So Im breaking it up into electronic and house. So Im going to add it to the ever growing list.

On other news, no more nominations will be accepted after 7pm est today. When that time comes, I will list all of the nominated songs any everyone is able to vote for 3 songs. Just try not to pick only your own songs or else it will get us nowhere.

Last edited:
Ensiferum - Blood is the Price of Glory
Some Folk/Viking Metal, I put the Intro of this album with the song, 'cos very cool n shit.

Sonata Arctica - The Cage
My favorite song so far, in the Symphonic Metal style. This band is somehow a better Nightwish imo.

Stratovarius - Deep Unknown
And i'll finish with a Power Metal one. I used to listen this one while playing for some team tours.

All these three groups are Finnish, and I really think they're above all the rest of the world in matter of music.

All of you have very nice tastes btw :o
Credits to dadoux for helping my dumb self posting this.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)