Other OU Player of the Week #5: gr8astard

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROBLEMS

AHEAD OF HIS TIME

how does it feel to be officiated with smogons #1 ubers player?
is ctc really as good as he says he is?
were the imp days of ladder domination the best, the hugo n oli core?
is idm in shambles?
on a scale from 1-bronzong whats blunders chances of splstardom?
i love you hugo

gr8astard

Here comes the waterworks!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Argue: Hi, great legend. :)
Q: Are you still helping people with team building?

Yes I am! Some people are more troublesome to deal with than others but I still have fun doing it :toast:

Q: Are you interested in mentoring still? And, if so, can you take me under your wing?
Not here to advertise myself, but I'm trying to be the best of the best like you, aim, Bloo, etc. I need to start somewhere, just how you guys did.

I am not particularly interested in mentoring because it takes commitment which I’d rather not get into if I know I’ll leave it unfinished. I’m usually pretty friendly if you are a reasonable person and approach me on IRC or forums, so as long as I’m in an ok mood I’ll be glad to help.

Q: How do you feel about mega salamance? If you have a true creative counter to it, what pokemon is it? Rock Polish Mega DIancie?

I think its incredibly powerful and versatile, and probably won’t last two weeks in ORAS. Maybe Rhyperior can do the job…until it dies to a Hydro Pump!

Q: do you honestly feel in your heart, there won't be any more new Megas?

Probably not in ORAS since there’s a sizable number being revealed already. M Dragon is still hoping for Mega Milotic and Mega Flygon though, and I wish nothing but a smile on his face.

Q: Can you please take me under your wing? I don't wanna sound desperate or like a cheerleader, but my burning desire is to be just like the greats here on smogon.

I’m afraid I don’t have wings you can go under, but BKC sure has a pair of wings. He can teach you all you need to know about DPP, and doing well in that tier will earn you the coveted respect of all Smogon users.

CTC:
>Yaboi not in top 5
>has never beaten me in his life
>IDM 3rd in command
>fuck Indonesian food
>never4get ost9
Fuck this poser queer imo idm 4 lyf

Edit:
>posts my squad in the display my team section iit pussE ic how it is
Come week 6 imma cross dis nigga out the list of respectable users bang bang
- fucc niggas gonn multiply

2nd edit:
>G Fucking Yee iit now I rlly see how it is (BAN ME PLEASE) wer fuckin thru gr8 asstard

[3:19pm] fuckthefrontier: reyscarface sub out ctc
[3:19pm] fuckthefrontier: yn
[3:19pm] asterat: if u havent beat ctc
[3:19pm] asterat: u can e
[3:19pm] asterat: z

u letting pipsqueaks dis u like this

Damn, got all these haters tryna ban me
Jealous cause my fire flow make y'all look like a Magby
Yeah I'm Fire Blasting
Volcarona dancing
+6, knock 'em out, even if they Sassy

JustTheFx: Do you use any other pKmN Forum site beside smogon's?

I use Marriland because they have a pretty team builder. Otherwise not really

Can you draw me a picture of Raikou eating Suicune?

I will get back to you on this, stay tuned.

BKC: how weird is it when people who dont know you call you by your real name?

It’s pretty weird but I suppose that’s what I get for using IDM Hugo as a PO alt one time, and having a shitty unpronounceable username.

best moment of 2013 wcop that isnt a lizardman quote

Lizardman quotes are overrated anyway… OHHHHHH yes I said it,,
There was your game vs Adam that allowed us to clinch the finals, but the most memorable is probably Shake’s game in our series vs France. Between the trashtalk throughout the game and him using Superpower with Scizor because he knows the opposing Heatran’s Fire Blast would miss followed by more trashtalk, I’m surprised nobody has stabbed the lucky goober I-L-L.

do you remember in late 11 / early 12 when we used to play on ladder all the time and cuss each other out over hax? i do. they were good games but man oh man we were going at it with the passion of cbb's contemporary rage against italy

Of course I remember it fondly! That in conjunction with the OST9 fiasco almost made you refuse to rejoin East when i entered after all! But all in all those games made me grow as a player. I said I love you; and she said: Thank you

best friends moment?

This is so hard, please try to understand!

thoughts on 1994 jennifer aniston?

Typical of you, Rachel Green, Queen Rachel does whatever she wants in little Rachel land.

say one nice thing about dragalge in xy ou

It counters Charizard-Y AND Keldeo without being pursuit weak. AND it gets t-spikes! AND it’s not even weak to Draining Kiss!

thoughts on rach tatted flores?

Fun to be around but not exactly girlfriend material.

describe the irritation that surged through you and caused you to attack one joey pokeaim with the caustic verbal assault of "cause i'm tired, bitch”

I was wrong, and I’m sorry. But please try to understand, I was playing for over 2 hours at that point and Joey kept suggesting random predictions at me hng,,

what happened to life orb latias? you and her had such a good thing going, man…

*Sigh* I still love her, man…

tvoje milé slova byly velmi potěšující, chlape. jsi nejlepší :heart:

[13:49] CBB: můj gryphon je kurva hovno nahoru.

Talenheim: I should have phrased by BP question differently; from a SUSPECT standpoint, how would you deal with BP? as in, what should the suspect ban?

I think limiting BP to one user per team is already pretty restrictive. I suppose we can limit it further to one user and no more than two or three stat boost being passed, but I am no expert in this matter.

SparksBlade: ok more questions after reading:
1. You agree that it's impossible to cover every threat while building. How loudly do you curse when the opp team has almost all of those?

I don’t curse :angel:

2. If your team can only play around greninja, is it acceptable?

It is frowned upon, but acceptable. In all seriousness every team has to play around Greninja to an extent.

3. Though i'm still not sure that i get what IDM is, can i join in?

It’s a dead “Pokemon clan” filled with troll users making suckerdickernoise in calls. CTC takes care of member recruits and has been largely successful at it as evident by IDM flourishing in all departments. Personally I wouldn’t recommend joining this hellhole.

4. What do you think of Mega Lopunny with, counting it's ability, has perfect neutral coverage with STABs?

Mega Lopunny is awesome! It’s one of those megas who looks pretty good and you know won’t get banned for the foreseeable future, so I’m quite happy with its addition.

5. Do you like to think beyond the big things? Like rather than thinking how Latios and Greninja will fare in ORAS, did you think that Diggersby may drop to UU cos of power and speed creep?

Absolutely love thinking beyond the big things, especially regarding the fate of Diggersby not only as a Pokemon but also as a respected individual.

5. Can i pm you to get help with a team that i'm building?

Absolutely.

6. Bloo agreed that when he, or some other big player tries something new, it creates a trend. When you see someone running something non-standard yet not too gimmicky, would you look at it in the same way you would if Bloo used it? What's the most non-standard/gimmicky set/mon have you used?

I would look at it the same way no matter who used it, or at least I would try to because otherwise you will be missing out on potentially good sets! Some non standard sets I’ve run are Roost/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/T-wave Dragonite in BW and Sub/PUP/V-Create/Bolt Strike Victini in XY.

EDIT: also, this is from Bloo's Player of the week
Question 2 - It seems you prefer to build teams with frens rather than alone. Who are the guys you mostly collaborate with? Can I join the crew?
Mostly gr8astard and McMeghan. Ask them if they're cool with you joining the crew and if they say yes, welcome aboard ;)!
so, er, what do you think?

I’m sorry but no… Bloo can’t say no in forums because that usually means blatantly ignoring you which he can get away with on IRC… so I have to do it.

Sanger Zonvolt: 1. I notice that tourney go into long-term tourneys with multiple teams. What do you think the magic ratio of teams to expected battles is for a tourney?

I don’t quite get what you’re asking here, can you rephrase it :)

2. When you get closer to the end of a tourney, do you build/use teams that have better match-ups against the announced opponent's known play style preferences or just go with something you're comfortable with?

Usually both. I try to make sure whatever I’m using aren’t weak to my opponent’s previous teams. It doesn’t always go in your favor but at least you wouldn’t look dumb if your opponent brings the same team and you’re still weak to it, as that kind of matchup disadvantage is entirely preventable. Getting comfortable with what you’re using is equally if not more important, and at the end of the day I’m more for using whatever you want to use.

3. When you're trying out a new team you built, at what point do you decide that the team isn't worth pursuing either because its foundation is faulty or there's no room for optimization?

When the main idea/set of the team isn’t working as well as I had hoped. I may either lose a bunch of games in the process, or win but the team isn’t working as I expected.

4. Does Quickpassing actually work in tournaments?

It sure does, albeit not very consistent.

5. Is there a correlation between liking Naruto and being a well-known Pokemon player like you or Bloo? If so, do those of us who only think it's OK ever stand a chance of becoming players with name recognition?

Absolutely. No, I’m afraid you won’t make it far because you’re undermining the best literature work in the 21st century to date.

River Martini: 1. Are you going to play or manage next SPL? Which one do you prefer?

I’m going to manage next SPL. I think it’s a more fun way to get involved, plus I can avoid the risk of landing on a team I don’t like!

2. Do you think that OU council should retest certain banned pokemon (e.g. Mega Mawile, Aegislash) in light of the new ORAS metagame? Do you think some of them would work just fine in ORAS OU?

Probably not Aegislash, MAYBE Mega Mawile although it’s not like we gained significantly better checks/counters to it. The people who have actually played ORAS should be more qualified to answer this than me. However I see these mons as potentially being overshadowed by the more broken stuff at best, and will end up getting banned again eventually if they do get dropped.

-Clone-: Long ass question

I feel like this is a very important question to a lot of people since SPL is coming up, so thanks for bringing it up. SPL is by far the easiest way to enter and do well in an official tour in my opinion. There is no shortage of demand for underrated players, it allows you to meet a lot of new and established players alike, and it is fun! It’s also interesting for me to put my thoughts into words.

First, in regards to getting known which every new user seems to ask about. There really is no better way to do this than performing well in tours (you will probably need to do this in multiple unofficial tours as they weigh way less in people’s eyes). Also while this is an aspect that is often scoffed at, doing well on the ladder and being a good poster on forums will help you get noticed somewhat. You don’t want to jeopardize your chances of getting into SPL because an assistant manager remembers you as “the guy who spams BP”, “the asshat who trolls in forums or ladder” or “the guy who posts dumb shit” after all. However, doing well on the ladder and forums will still matter less than how you perform in the tryouts, which brings me to the second point.

If you are a relatively unknown user, chances are you want to be one of those players that managers want to scoop up for <5k. Therefore it is important to note what the manager is looking for in this type of player, and showcase it in your tryouts:
  1. Be active. There is a fine line between being active and being annoying, so you don’t want to overdo it. It is important, however, to show that you will be committed to your team throughout the duration of SPL, and that you have the initiative to improve and help the team.
  2. Show that you know what you are doing. The end result of a tryout doesn’t matter nearly as much as how you actually play it. If your opponent gets overwhelming matchup or hax in his favor, surely the team manager won’t be too dumb not to realize it.
  3. Willingness to learn. If you are a 3k player then its likely that you will need to learn a lot of things in team tournaments, if not about the technical aspect then at least about the works of a team. If you aren’t willing to listen in tryouts then nobody will want to draft you.
  4. Don’t be a dick. It might help you to get noticed as that cocky asshole in tryouts, but ultimately nobody would want to risk getting a team cancer. You might only cost 3k, but if you upset your teammates then it will cost the managers a lot more than that. There are plenty other ways to prove yourself than being snarky or talking shit about others.
  5. Playing multiple tiers, or at least willing to. Of course there is nothing more annoying than people lying about this, but if you have knowledge in multiple tiers or shows willingness to do it to help a team, your chance of getting drafted will increase significantly. Spending 3k on a player who only mains XY OU vs someone who plays 2 or more tiers makes a world of difference.
Hope that helped!

-Tsunami-: Would you ever wear an IDM crewneck + IDM hat in public?

No. if anything I’m considering rejoining IMP as Adam seems to have big plans for it now :Adam:

Wepwn: who would win in an IRL fight, mizuhime or hot n cold?
who in your opinion are the top 5 indians smogon

I think the suckerdickernoise that Mizuhime makes throughout the bout will overwhelm Hot N Cold, so gotta give it to the queen.

In this EXACT order: dragonuser
Aldaron / Wepwn / blunder
-Tsunami-
honorable mention: blarajan, Sadfthadsf

PROBLEMS: how does it feel to be officiated with smogons #1 ubers player?

*affiliated. As I said in my previous post, I love Edgar and I respect him a lot as a player.

Is ctc really as good as he says he is?

Absolutely no.

were the imp days of ladder domination the best, the hugo n oli core?
is idm in shambles?

Absolutely. Those times when we tilt and pick each other up are such tearjerkers. I have to give a special shoutout aim, I remember back in Smogon PO days when I go on tilt he would challenge me with terrible teams and let me win so I’d feel better about my worthless self :’]

Yes IDM is in shambles because the two founding fathers have no clear vision for the future of IDM.

on a scale from 1-bronzong whats blunders chances of splstardom?

Underwhelming SPL 5 campaign aside, I believe blunder 's recent showing in various tours have earned him the respect he deserves as shown in this post. So on a scale of 1-bronzong with Bronzong being an indefatigable God, I will have to go with the heatproof variant of Bronzong.

i love you hugo

love ur nan

Last edited:
gr8astard said:
I don’t quite get what you’re asking here, can you rephrase it :)
Sorry about that. I noticed there are players that post archives of teams in other threads after they finish a large tournament, and I was under the impression that these teams are prepped before (of course this could just be a huge misconception on my part). I was wondering if it's common to go into tournaments with multiple teams prepped beforehand, and if it is common, then do you bring in a fixed number of teams or scale the number of teams based on the number of players in the tournament.

As McMeghan and Bloo you said that Suns are suspectworthy in BW,

Do you think, more than 1 year after the XY release, the BW OU council is still able to suspect/ban something?

Do you think it would be a good thing to do suspect in other past gens? In example, I've seen poeple thinking Snorlax should be banned from GSC OU, with the tournament hosted by BKC some poeple think the DPP metagame would be better with Latias...

Do you think some adjustment in old gens would make them more attractive or just make a temporary hype around them?

Do you think a retest of Aegislash is possible in OU or in the future since the vote was controversial and the result really close?

Was there any ban/unban that you don't agree with and why?

What do you think about the difficulty to find good battles in past gens nowadays?

You're widely considered as one of the best teambuilders on this site, was wondering do you go through some specific procedures while teambuilding or do you just go by the flow?

Did the freeze matter?

Can I have your sister's number?

How good of a teammate am I on a scale of 10 to 10?

Why did you exclude your future brother-in-law from the top 5 Indians list?

What's your single favorite mon to use in BW? XY? Any "cores" you find turn up a lot in your teams?

Two sisters and a mother or two mothers and a sister?

Favorite smogon italian?

do you plan to attend at vgc tournaments next season? :toast:

you are building a team around a pokemon like mega garde/zardx/etc, how would you choose team members?

can you link me that avatar/gif of EWNetwork you had?

Last edited:

gr8astard

Here comes the waterworks!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Sanger Zonvolt: Sorry about that. I noticed there are players that post archives of teams in other threads after they finish a large tournament, and I was under the impression that these teams are prepped before (of course this could just be a huge misconception on my part). I was wondering if it's common to go into tournaments with multiple teams prepped beforehand, and if it is common, then do you bring in a fixed number of teams or scale the number of teams based on the number of players in the tournament.

No I do not prepare a certain number of teams into a team tour. Usually I save a lot of teams including bad ones that didn’t quite work, and in team tours I take the time to actually sort them out and share the ones that I think still works.

Luckstard.: As McMeghan and Bloo you said that Suns are suspectworthy in BW,
Do you think, more than 1 year after the XY release, the BW OU council is still able to suspect/ban something?

I believe so, especially since I think this potential suspect is going to improve BW. It’s not really played often anymore but it’s still relevant because of its inclusion in ST.

Do you think it would be a good thing to do suspect in other past gens? In example, I've seen poeple thinking Snorlax should be banned from GSC OU, with the tournament hosted by BKC some poeple think the DPP metagame would be better with Latias...

I’m really not qualified to answer this. I suppose if there is enough support and reasoning behind it, then I don’t see why not. The people who will participate in these suspects should be the ones who care most about said metagame anyway. On that note though who cares what BKC thinks hehe,,,

Do you think some adjustment in old gens would make them more attractive or just make a temporary hype around them?

I don’t really think it will create hype, the current gen will always be the popular one that most people play

Do you think a retest of Aegislash is possible in OU or in the future since the vote was controversial and the result really close?

It’s definitely possible, but improbable.

Was there any ban/unban that you don't agree with and why?

No.

What do you think about the difficulty to find good battles in past gens nowadays?

I think that’s perfectly normal. From my experience the past gen ladders are lacking in quantity and quality, so it’s a better idea to ask your friends for games anyway. It’s a big waste of time waiting minutes to find a ladder game only to get into a mediocre battle.

hey yal: are IDM shirts/merch on sale?

Probably, but why would anyone want those junk anyway?

when you are playing, (regardless of the tier) how do you not choke or overpredict?

Stay hydrated before and during the battle, wash your face, and relax.

VN.: Opinion on this pokebar? (Original content donot steal)
"New god flow call me fairy type arceus"

Absolutely amazing, G. Yee still got the best line
Also I wanna say great job on the Smogon Tour statistics images :toast:

Jayde: Did the freeze matter?

it mattered in the sense that the tension between us never completely thawed afterwards.

No, ask me again next time.

How good of a teammate am I on a scale of 10 to 10?

Why did you exclude your future brother-in-law from the top 5 Indians list?

Honestly forgot the fact that you are Indian, but take solace in the fact that you would be an honorable mention at best.

What's your single favorite mon to use in BW? XY? Any "cores" you find turn up a lot in your teams?

In BW: Jirachi. In XY: Keldeo.
I used Ground/Water/Steel cores a lot in BW, while in XY things change a lot more frequently. Slowbro/Ferrothorn/Bulky ground was a solid core until Greninja abandoned Extrasensory and went with HP Fire/Dark Pulse.

Absolutely, all you gotta do is ask.

Two sisters and a mother or two mothers and a sister?

What good would two mothers do for me?

Favorite smogon italian?

Axily mi tutti frutti

D4RR3N: You're widely considered as one of the best teambuilders on this site, was wondering do you go through some specific procedures while teambuilding or do you just go by the flow?

I didn’t really go through some specific procedures, but as I said before I would look at the team and make sure I’m not weak to common things such as the DD mons, dark spam, bird spam, rain spam, Excadrill, Greninja… and then I tweak the team as necessary.

Terraquaza: do you plan to attend at vgc tournaments next season? :toast:

I don't have any plans about that, but it's possible :toast:

you are building a team around a pokemon like mega garde/zardx/etc, how would you choose team members?

I can't generalize how to build around these, especially because Mega Garde is more self sufficient than ZardX, as you can tailor your moveset to handle common counters. For ZardX you would obviously need defog/spin support, ways to switch into the things that scare it out such as Latios and Landorus, ways to lure or kill or weaken its checks/counters like Slowbro / Azumarill / Landorus-T, etc. I would usually start from which spinner/defog user I would want to complement the ZardX, then choose the other mons based on synergy and how well they work with each other in theory. This usually would give you ~4 members of the team already, so the last two members will just cover any remaining holes you see. It's the same procedure most people go through, but some Pokemon like CharizardX can be more restrictive than others. At least it still has defensive utility, though.

can you link me that avatar/gif of EWNetwork you had?

My pleasure.

all credits go to Funkasaurus (I think)

Last edited:

HeIIraiser

tough like igglybuff
1. top5 (in order, if possible) adv ou, dpp ou, bw ou and xy ou players at the moment?
2. would you sleep with Bloo if he turned out to be a girl?
3. getting laid with any girl of your choice, or having a party with all IDM members?
4. sleeping with Limitless, Dracomalfoy or BKC?
5. do you think you are better than me at football (true football, not american shit)?
6. can I join IDM again? (I need more teams)
7. have you ever been in a serious relationship? if yes, how many? can you tell us a bit more about your last one?
8. who is more cute irl, me or cbb?
9. do you miss Dean?
10. do you think you have SPL won?

hello huguito <3

- do you watch any kind of tv-show? or just only anime?
- after playing RU tier for while, whats your opinion about Moltres?
- top 3 worse trollers in Smogon.
- hottest football player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)