Not open for further replies.
A set I like to run as a hard hitting pivot:

Rotom-W @ Assault Vest
Modest 252 Hp/252 SpAtk/6 SpDef
-Volt Swtich
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice

A different take on Rotom-W who can check/counter many special threats such as Greninja, Landorus, Keldeo, Tornadus-T (watch out for Knock Off), Thundurus, Mega Alakazam, Zapdos, Starmie (may see a nice raise in usage if Aegi leaves) etc. Max Hp and an Assault Vest give Rotom decent longevity despite not having any health recovery. The Modest nature and max special attack allow Rotom-W to hit back hard, with Hydro Pump AND Thunderbolt as your main STAB instead of just Volt Switch. Hidden Power Ice for Landorus, Gliscor (I get scared of missing hydro pump too), Dragons and Thundurus. Excellent member for volt-turn teams, or just as the "glue" or final member of your team.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
A set I like to run as a hard hitting pivot:

Rotom-W @ Assault Vest
Modest 252 Hp/252 SpAtk/6 SpDef
-Volt Swtich
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice

A different take on Rotom-W who can check/counter many special threats such as Greninja, Landorus, Keldeo, Tornadus-T (watch out for Knock Off), Thundurus, Mega Alakazam, Zapdos, Starmie (may see a nice raise in usage if Aegi leaves) etc. Max Hp and an Assault Vest give Rotom decent longevity despite not having any health recovery. The Modest nature and max special attack allow Rotom-W to hit back hard, with Hydro Pump AND Thunderbolt as your main STAB instead of just Volt Switch. Hidden Power Ice for Landorus, Gliscor (I get scared of missing hydro pump too), Dragons and Thundurus. Excellent member for volt-turn teams, or just as the "glue" or final member of your team.
Specs Keldeo already 2HKOs standard Rotom-W after rocks, so I don't think you're countering with this set. You sure as hell aren't beating CM sets.

Lando has been known to run Knock Off or U-turn so you aren't countering him either. CM is also a thing.

Torn-T likes to run Assault Vest too, so you're not even checking it consistently. It'll just go "lol U-turn" and heal up.

Physical Thundy can Knock Off/Wild Charge and deal a ton to you. LO/+2 Thunderbolts from standard sets also do a ton.

Mega Zam has decent Special Bulk and hits like a truck since it runs Modest. Can't see you winning here.

Zapdos is too bulky, and can alternate between Thunderbolt and Roost to beat you.

Starmie isn't exactly relevant and there are better ways of dealing with it.

Does anyone happen to know what important 1HKOs/2HKOs you lose by running Surf in place of Hydro Pump? I've lost too many games because the latter missed.

Oops. Not only did I mean to put "Scald," it doesn't get that either. Well, that answers my question, I guess.

its possible for rotom wash to be an all-rounder
Most have Volt switch/Hydro Pump ..
Mines runs with both of them.WoW and T-Wave/Toxc i think.

ok so i started ev training my modest nature rotom w so i could use him for the choice scarf move set but i had no idea that i had to breed trick onto him

im not about to redo hours of work so either i find another way to put trick on this pokemon , i find a substitute for trick move or i just say screw the move all together .

does anyone know of a move to put on rotom to take out special walls or another way to put trick on rotom

Karxrida

ok so i started ev training my modest nature rotom w so i could use him for the choice scarf move set but i had no idea that i had to breed trick onto him

im not about to redo hours of work so either i find another way to put trick on this pokemon , i find a substitute for trick move or i just say screw the move all together .

does anyone know of a move to put on rotom to take out special walls or another way to put trick on rotom
You get Trick from the move Relearner or level up in Gen VI, can't remember which.

Rotom does not have egg moves. You can learn Trick by the Move Relearner, or as a Tutor move in HGSS/Plat/BW2, but that would be kind of pointless.

I think HP ice is good on defensive rotom wash in Oras because of new threats like mega mence and mega sceptile. The most popular mence set is sub dragon dance and if played correctly HP ice rotom wins almost every time. Out of the many times I've face sub dd mence, HP ice rotom only lost once. And if you predict the sceptile to come on it will take about 70 percent of from a defensive rotom.

I think HP ice is good on defensive rotom wash in Oras because of new threats like mega mence and mega sceptile. The most popular mence set is sub dragon dance and if played correctly HP ice rotom wins almost every time. Out of the many times I've face sub dd mence, HP ice rotom only lost once. And if you predict the sceptile to come on it will take about 70 percent of from a defensive rotom.
what scares me is that you said sub ddance mence beat it once.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What are your thoughts about 30 Speed IVs on Rotom-W? Rotom-W was the second most used pokémon in ORAS OU last month. BD Jolly Azumarill, where the 44 EVs are for, is pretty uncommon (Azumarill #7 in usage and only 15% run Belly Drum) With Rotom-W being much more common, having a slow volt switch against other Rotom-W can turn out very beneficial

Also curious about Modest sets, looking for a good electric type coverage and this guy along with jolteon are close to the top of my list. Hydro pump on rotom means you can skip it on Ninja, and use his ridiculous coverage in ORAS to its maximum potential imo. Is HP ice worth it on this guy? Physical defensive set seems to actually not be that bad against MegaMence since resistance and all. Iirc nixing speed allows you to have the correct hidden power and still keep maximum defenses.
Ice is huge coverage right now, and Megascept, one of rotom's new checks really doesn't like it on the switch in if they are predicting an electric type move.

Karxrida

Also curious about Modest sets, looking for a good electric type coverage and this guy along with jolteon are close to the top of my list. Hydro pump on rotom means you can skip it on Ninja, and use his ridiculous coverage in ORAS to its maximum potential imo. Is HP ice worth it on this guy? Physical defensive set seems to actually not be that bad against MegaMence since resistance and all. Iirc nixing speed allows you to have the correct hidden power and still keep maximum defenses.
Ice is huge coverage right now, and Megascept, one of rotom's new checks really doesn't like it on the switch in if they are predicting an electric type move.
If you're going to use Modest, run Scarf or Specs to maximize your power. Also, HP Ice is useless against Mega Sceptile because if it gets a free switch it can OHKO you easily.

252 SpA Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 254-300 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Leaf Storm is obviously an OHKO and Substitute stops Will-O-Wisp, so if you find yourself facing a Mega Sceptile the best course of action is to switch out.

Also never run Jolteon. It sucks.

EDIT: According to aim in his most recent video, Mega Salamence is able to stall out HP Ice. So yeah...

Last edited:
So, what is the best Specs set?
Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Shadow Ball? Trick?
Yeah, Shadow Ball is pretty much useless, unless you really want to hit Gourgeist lol. I'd go with something like this:

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe(or something else, dunno)
Timid/Modest Nature
- Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick

The moves should be obvious. Volt Switch gets momentum and hits things like Gyarados, Greninja, and Talonflame(scarf outspeeds the latter two!), Hydro Pump is for Ground-type mons that block Volt Switch, like Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Landorus(-T). HP Ice is for the obvious MMence, and also hits Garchomp and MSceptile. Trick can give the Choice item to a wall like Chansey, crippling it for the rest of the match. Thunderbolt could be used over Volt Switch, as it helps a lot against Substitute users.

So I've been thinking about using this set as my Rotom wash set
Rotom-W Leftovers
Bold
252HP/252 Def

Hydro Pump
Volt Switch
Will-o-Wisp
Pain Split

Now you maybe wondering why defensive and why pain split. Well with Will-o-wisp this allows it to be a physical tank as stop Talonflame who is really annoying. Pain Split allows you to gain crucial HP back

Karxrida

I thought this was the Rotom-W thread?

Regarding Choice sets, Trick isn't completely necessary and can be replaced Thunderbolt or even Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave. I only recommend the latter for Scarf since a fast burn/paralysis can be clutch against a +1 Mega Gyarados or the like.

So is the consensus landing on Bold, 44 speed, 248 HP, 216 DEF being the best stat distribution?
I would like to know if Jolly Azu is the only thing in that speed tier and if 44 speed is the right number.
Just bred two flawless, one timid and the other Bold, so I may try out sets on both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)