Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
So I went to the Smash Reddit and saw that Little Mac has the lowest win ratio. lol
http://kotaku.com/little-mac-is-smash-bros-biggest-loser-1658263617
I suppose the reason is LM being a very n00b friendly character (even though I think this is half-true, 'cause new players have big issues with poor recovery heroes, and well, his recovery is the worst of the game lol). Loads of people got hyped on using him at For Glory since omega stages kinda benefits his gameplay, but really, people suck. The thing is, good players can become scary Little Mac players. KO Punch is just ridiculous for hitting through shield and super armor as well, I feel like the KO meter should be slower to fill. I mean, it's not something that makes Little Mac necessarily better or OP, but it adds insult to injury.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How do I get good at this game? What new characters are easy to use?
Shulk is probably the hardest newcomer to master just due to the fact that a big part of his game is knowing when and how to best utilize his Monado Arts. Lucina is probably the easiest if you were / are good with Marth in previous games.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't main Bowser (Robin's my main) but whenever I play him on For Glory I tend to run into a lot of Nesses which give me some serious issues. I'm like so big and he's so small it's really hard. He can easily hit me with anything and dodge any hits I throw at him. :pirate: Any tips for this match-up?

As Robin though, I have a lot of trouble with really fast characters, particularly Sonic. What am I supposed to do vs Sonic? It seems like he can just dodge every single move I have very easily.

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
How do I get good at this game? What new characters are easy to use?
Train your reflexes, really. Smash doesn't have any real complex sequence of buttons, it's purely a game that flows within mindgames. Shield is a very important tool, learn how to use it in your favor, it recovers pretty damn fast and can actually tank a lot on this game (I got used to Melee's shield and still cannot believe how much they improved this). Grab is just as important, it's a solid way to punish shields, approach, build damage etc. explore each throw angle and see what you can combo from this (usually down-throw leads to most combos, for example, dthrow to up B with zero suit samus). Aerial attacks should probably come next, they are a very important part of edgeguarding and the bread and butter of combos. Whenever you feel like you found a character to be your main, explore every combo he can do, learn how to build damage effectively, learn his killing moves and the best way to use them, explore his advantages (is he better on air or ground? Is he good at zoning? How does he edgeguard?), and learn to play against the other fighters, matchups are still part of the game no matter how.
After that, you probably should read about deeper mechanics (DI, short hop, power shield, techs, fox trotting etc.). The learning curve from now on is very long I guess, but it's when the game really starts to feel more interesting.

(my bad if you actually knew the basics, I just assumed you were new to smash)

I don't main Bowser (Robin's my main) but whenever I play him on For Glory I tend to run into a lot of Nesses which give me some serious issues. I'm like so big and he's so small it's really hard. He can easily hit me with anything and dodge any hits I throw at him. :pirate: Any tips for this match-up?

As Robin though, I have a lot of trouble with really fast characters, particularly Sonic. What am I supposed to do vs Sonic? It seems like he can just dodge every single move I have very easily.
Kinda helpless matchup I guess (Bowser x Ness). I'd say avoid rolling too often and try to build damage the safest way possible. Jabs, short hop f-air (this shit is pretty damn great for spacing, hitbox is huge), ftilt (almost no lag for a whopping 12% is excellent). To edgeguard Ness, I guess fair again if he's higher. Of course he will be smart and try to recover from under, but then you can simply dive and punish him like a boss with a b-air (it's a great killing move).

As for Robin I suck with her, but I feel like it's an even helpless matchup considering her attacks are slow. But huhh, camp all the way. Make him approach you. Arcfire limit his movement, pair it up with arcthunder to force shielding then punish with Nosferatu/grabs. Offstage you should have the upperhand, though: you have two spikes with dair and upB. BAir is pretty decent offstage as well. UAir has insane range and speed, it's also great to punish him if he tries to approach from the air.

Last edited:
I suppose the reason is LM being a very n00b friendly character (even though I think this is half-true, 'cause new players have big issues with poor recovery heroes, and well, his recovery is the worst of the game lol). Loads of people got hyped on using him at For Glory since omega stages kinda benefits his gameplay, but really, people suck. The thing is, good players can become scary Little Mac players. KO Punch is just ridiculous for hitting through shield and super armor as well, I feel like the KO meter should be slower to fill. I mean, it's not something that makes Little Mac necessarily better or OP, but it adds insult to injury.
I see what you mean. For Glory is good for Little Mac, but it's also his worst enemy. The stage is in the center. LM is okay there. Rest of the stage has no platforms to aid his recovery. He gets screwed up by back throws + aerial pursuits.
The KO Punch is ridiculous. It has to be nerfed in the next patch so that shields can block it. It's unfair honestly- And yes, I agree. The meter should be slower to feel.

Ness shits on Robin, unfortunately. He can easily rack up damage with PK Fire ⇒ Down throw ⇒ FAir chains. Once Robin is offstage, Ness can chase him in the air by using PK Thunder if he's in the ground. Then he just back throws Robin to net a KO. Rinse and repeat. It's a really bad MU.

Sonic is also troublesome for Robin. His fast speed + good attacking prowess in this game pressures Robin a lot. If Sonic is about to spin (literally 100% of the time, trust me) and if you don't shield it, he'll rack up damage and KO with FSmash. Or just punish Robin because Sonic is fucking good at punishing.
You could try to shield Sonic's spins and try to damage him with Arcfire ⇒ Smash FAir (the electric one).

Robin has a bad matchup against top tiers in this game, namely Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, Yoshi and of course, Rosalina (I honestly don't think this one is bad, but you get the point). I would mention Ness and ZSS but I think these two are high tier at best. Not like Robin is a bad character, I'm sure he'll be better on the Wii U version its GCN controller shenanigans.

tl;dr: sonic is cancer. robin is not bad
edit: Ness shits on Bowser too jsyk.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks mate but I was actually asking for Bowser v. Ness. I don't have too much trouble vs. Ness as Robin surprisingly.

Well...not exceptional trouble anyway. Maybe I just haven't played so many.

Thanks mate but I was actually asking for Bowser v. Ness. I don't have too much trouble vs. Ness as Robin surprisingly.

Well...not exceptional trouble anyway. Maybe I just haven't played so many.
....dang. my bad. must have read the other way around
well Ness p much shits on every heavyweight. Down throw to FAir chains everytime.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I went to the Smash Reddit and saw that Little Mac has the lowest win ratio. lol
http://kotaku.com/little-mac-is-smash-bros-biggest-loser-1658263617
This honestly does not surprise me. As good as LIttle Mac can be, it is very difficult to use him. Even great players with Little Mac can be simply screwed by his recovery... or lack thereof. For instance, Lucario (my main) has a terribad machup vs. Little Mac because of his high KO potential (which takes away Luke's greatest asset) but I played one yesterday and won simply because I launched LIttle Mac at an angle that made it impossible for him to recover and dodge Aura Sphere. He had me at around 95% and he was only at 70% when I launched him. And the Little Mac player wasn't even bad. He was actually pretty good. But because Mac has terribad recovery, I was able to win. I can do the same with Shulk (my 2nd main) with the Jump and Speed arts activated.

I think the biggest issue for new players to Little Mac is having to learn to not chase after foes in the air after a ground move. I know it's second nature to me to try and follow up a tilt with an air move, but Little Mac can't do this effectively for very obvious reasons. And once he gets in the air, the opponent is at a major advantage because Little Mac can only effectively do 1 of 3 things: air dodge, Slip Counter, Jolt Haymaker. Newer Little Mac players rely on one of these far too much, thus making it easy to predict and punish.

I love playing netplay little mac because I can grab release him off the stage for an almost-guaranteed dair kill with ROB. Half the time I don't even need the dair because the mac accidentally uses a random aerial because they were mashing so hard to escape the throw.

This honestly does not surprise me. As good as LIttle Mac can be, it is very difficult to use him. Even great players with Little Mac can be simply screwed by his recovery... or lack thereof. For instance, Lucario (my main) has a terribad machup vs. Little Mac because of his high KO potential (which takes away Luke's greatest asset) but I played one yesterday and won simply because I launched LIttle Mac at an angle that made it impossible for him to recover and dodge Aura Sphere. He had me at around 95% and he was only at 70% when I launched him. And the Little Mac player wasn't even bad. He was actually pretty good. But because Mac has terribad recovery, I was able to win. I can do the same with Shulk (my 2nd main) with the Jump and Speed arts activated.

I think the biggest issue for new players to Little Mac is having to learn to not chase after foes in the air after a ground move. I know it's second nature to me to try and follow up a tilt with an air move, but Little Mac can't do this effectively for very obvious reasons. And once he gets in the air, the opponent is at a major advantage because Little Mac can only effectively do 1 of 3 things: air dodge, Slip Counter, Jolt Haymaker. Newer Little Mac players rely on one of these far too much, thus making it easy to predict and punish.
I think that Little Mac you played yesterday was me!? I've never had trouble vs luc but those 2 matches when I couldn't get out of Aura Sphere string. Idk if i played you but the %s look right ;o

On mobile so I can't link it, but holy hell is the great cave offensive song fantastic.

It got me thinking about those big stages, though - for those who use the 3DS or Gamepad as a controller, is it possible to have the camera follow you around? I don't even think you can output to the 3DS like you can the Gamepad, but for the latter playing 8 man smash on a huge stage would make it near impossible to see anything on the screen I would think.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
On mobile so I can't link it, but holy hell is the great cave offensive song fantastic.

It got me thinking about those big stages, though - for those who use the 3DS or Gamepad as a controller, is it possible to have the camera follow you around? I don't even think you can output to the 3DS like you can the Gamepad, but for the latter playing 8 man smash on a huge stage would make it near impossible to see anything on the screen I would think.
I'm pretty sure the 3DS is literally JUST a controller... I highly doubt it will display anything. If it does it will just be the other 4 % meters I guess? If it did display, you're supposed to be looking at the TV while playing anyway?

In my head I pictured it working kind of like 4 swords adventures on the GameCube, with a large screen displaying the entire game and a handheld screen following you around. I knew it was unlikely (or impossible) to do with the 3ds screens, but I can dream can't I? :pirate:

I'm just having trouble picturing 8 people playing on fully zoomed out Great Cave Offensive with anything less than a 60" HDTV or something.

I have legitimately seen 5 Yoshi players on For Glory since I played it on the day of release. I always see the stupidly strong characters being used, aka Ness, Rosalina, and Lucario. Bowser Jr. and Little Mac are also kind of common characters I see.

Last edited:
why is yoshi so good and why do i fucking see him every other time I go on for fucking glory mode.
yoshi is cancer b/c he got buffed thanks to him having oos options and shit such as his moves having speed boosts / utility. you see him in fg because he's one of this game's top tiers.
or you're probably seeing a lot of yoshi fans in for glory that like to use him and win by using cheap tactics such as egg roll (lol), down b when your opponent is not even in KO range, and egg throw multiple times.

EonX

Battle Soul
I think that Little Mac you played yesterday was me!? I've never had trouble vs luc but those 2 matches when I couldn't get out of Aura Sphere string. Idk if i played you but the %s look right ;o
I was using Lucario's green skin and used Force Palm a couple of times as I got close to the edge a few times to prevent Little Mac from edgeguarding with the down smash.

Regarding the POTD, I was really tired and decided not to stay up for it. I would have said for someone else to post it but I was sleeping... sorry. Its nothing much, but here it is.

Pic of the day. Smash Tour is really hard to explain in words--it's tough to give out guidance tips with such limited space to type!! So I'll stop myself from saying too much--just try playing this mode three times with your friends. Smash Bros. will definitely feel even more like a party if you try this out.

(Comment)

There are three types of game boards. If you turn on the Custom Fighters option, the fighters will be preset with custom special moves. The number on a fighter's portrait on the game board indicates which custom move set that fighter is using--this also adds to the randomness of this mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)