Other OU Teambuilding Competition V4 - Round 14 (ORAS TEAMBUILDING) See post #156

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Not that I participated, but I don't understand why you would "cut" teams at all. I mean even if they're crap, then it means they'll get no vote so there's no harm in letting the guy have his team published.
Tag/VM me please if next round isn't about ORAS (just like I would not rate a team yet in this gen, it's pretty hard to give a knowlegeable opinion, it's probably interesting to build though).
<.<

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
(fat -Clone- said:
4 is just some shitty ass stall squad that is str 6-0ed by Garde + mag. I'm sorry to who made it but it's honestly bad. Also quag straight loses to offensive Ddmence lol)​
Jirachi dgaf about Mega Gardevoir. Also, Landorus-T is the go to check to Ddmence, not Quagsire.
My response to the builder of team 4 is that rachi can't do anything if mag traps him.... That was the whole point of Garde + Mag.... Also Lando T is incredibly easy to wear down if mence is saved for late game. I'm sorry, but stall just isn't good anymore...

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I've had responses from the teambuilders to respond to the voters. Here we are:
(fat AM said:
HP Ice Lando-I is the death of Team 4)
This is countered by Blissey.
And Blissey is countered by the majority of the metagame. There was a reason why I said other sweepers/wallbreakers it was more just to point that out because it's a lot of pressure put on Blissey when it's obvious that is your cleric. Not that Blissey is a bad option just that 5 things on your team are hurt tremendously by just one mon so just a heads up.

My response to the builder of team 4 is that rachi can't do anything if mag traps him.... That was the whole point of Garde + Mag.... Also Lando T is incredibly easy to wear down if mence is saved for late game. I'm sorry, but stall just isn't good anymore...
My own comments here. Rachi can Out stall specs zone with iron head. Scarf Zone doesn't do much to rachi, so you can choose to wish stall or just u turn out.

And Blissey is countered by the majority of the metagame. There was a reason why I said other sweepers/wallbreakers it was more just to point that out because it's a lot of pressure put on Blissey when it's obvious that is your cleric. Not that Blissey is a bad option just that 5 things on your team are hurt tremendously by just one mon so just a heads up.
"1 certain set, on a certain mon counters your team" And HPice isn't that common anymore anyway + Ontop of the fact it does have a counter.

Reactions: zbr
Team 1 looks fun, but Hippo is a momentum killer. Might be hard to set up rocks against other HO teams that have taunt/sash lead like Terrakion, Breloom, or Azelf. Another Talon would also do a ton of damage on most of those mons, so it really needs to keep Azu and/or Hippo healthy when facing one

Team 2 has 5 mons walled by Skarmory and 5 mons walled by MSlowbro. Any decent stall team destroys it.

Team 3 has no revenge killer or scarfer for fast threats. It has no way to stop birdspam + mag. Mixed Thundy + Keldeo also looks to give this team trouble.

Team 4 has no safe switchins to Crawdaunt. Literally everything is 2HKO'd by the correct move + Aqua Jet. CB Dragonite also deals a ton of damage, 2HKOing everything but Jirachi who needs to be at full health to switch into Outrage. MHeracross + Rain Teams are probably too much for it to handle as well. Those aren't too common, but it's probably an autoloss if facing them

Team 5 looks weak to Mag + subroost Mega Mence, but Mence is broken so whatever. Weavile looks to deal a lot of damage whenever it comes in and the lack of priority really hurts the team. Any rain team that can handle Ferro will get free points.

Overall, I think Team 1 is the best one. It seems to have the least weaknesses.

Overall, Team 3 is the best. My friend has been playing around with it, and he got to #15 on the ladder. Also, it is a great use of some megas that aren't in the spotlight.

Round 13 will last for two weeks, I am currently moving house and my internet will be cut off, so In stead of taking a week off I have decided to start the round now. I don't know the exact time my internet will go so I will try my best to use my phone and update the thread.

Round 13 core:

With the ORAS move tutors, Gyarados finally has access to Crunch, this is pretty huge and gives good coverage with the other possible attacks you can use. Clefable is a great all around Pokemon that pairs well with Gyara's typing. With access to Stealth Rocks, Wish, Recovery, Calm Mind, Heal Bell and Healing Wish, it makes a great partner for Gyarados. I will not force you, but I would like to see Healing Wish Clef, as Gyarados works as a great wallbreaker and late game sweeper and this give any team with this core a great late game.

Good luck and I will announce the winner of Round 12 as and when I have internet.

Back! Damn a week without internet is tough... The thread will continue as normal this wednesday with Round 13 voting

Team 1:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

started this team based on the gyara-clefable core, i gave gyarados a standard dd+3 attacks set and decided that my clefable was my rock setter, i also gave it thunder wave to help gyara's sweep, moonblast to hit for decent damage many things and softboiled for reliable recovery. i tried out healing wish but it was pretty difficult to use and very situational, plus it really lacked recovery to constantly switch in and set rocks.
i wanted to go offensive with reliance on hazards to pressure the opponent, so i added ferrothorn. It isn't exactly the most offensive of the pokemon but it generally fits well in bulky offensive teams because it makes defogging/spinning difficult as most defoggers/spinners can't beat it. bisharp is a natural add in teams that rely on hazards and don't want them to be defogged with ease.
i added keldeo as it lures in many gyarados checks like mega venusaur and azumarill and deal some damage to weaken them that with hazards damage and occasional burns can weaken them enough to open for a gyarados sweep. i didn't want to use choice specs because i was pretty tired of it so i decided for a taunt+3 attacks LO set that could prevent slowbro from using keldeo as a setup fodder.
in the last slot i liked a revenge killer and scarftran seemed like the best option as it offers a nice switch in to venusaur and in general a strong fire type that absorbs wow
at this point the team worked decently, but i was having some problems vs other teams with spikes as i didn't have a spinner or defogger, furthermore it was pretty difficult to stop calm minders like mega sableye and also mega slowbro despite keldeo's taunt. I thought that earthquake wasn't anymore mandatory on gyara because of crunch and replaced it with moldbreaker taunt that bypasses magic bounce and transforms mega sableye and mega slowbro into setup fodders. Keldeo wasn't anymore needed and i replaced it with a starmie that gave me hazard control and a way to beat venusaur directly.

Team 2:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower

So the core was Clefable+M Gyarados. For Clefable I opted for a defensive build along with Unaware to better handle Pokes like Calm Mind Mega Latias, Slowbro, etc while offering valuable Wish and Heal Bell support for the team. Mega Gyarados finally gets access to STAB boosted Crunch, which replaces Ice Fang. Otherwise it's a typical Gyarados set. I saw Ferrothorn and Skarmory being really annoying for the core so next I brought in Choice Specs Magnezone. I haven't ever used the Drag-Mag offense before, but I thought for the team it could be really fitting. I chose to bring in Scarf Salamence. While Mega Mence is crazy OP, Scarf Salamence is still a great Pokemon and I've found people to be hilariously underprepared for one. After all fairies have been eliminated Mence can come in and just plow through nearly anything with Scarfed Outrage. I needed Stealth Rock somewhere as well as some form of priority so I brought in Mamoswine. The fourth move is a bit of a placeholder, as I am unsure if Superpower, Knock Off or Freeze Dry would be most beneficial to the team. And finally I brought in Zapdos. At a glance it might seem redundant with Magnezone, but I've found they both bring very different skills to the team. I am still not sure if I'd prefer HP Ice over Heat Wave to better deal with Landorus and the Dragons, but we will see how it goes! Thus far I've had a lot of success with the team.

Team 3:

Classic set of Gyarados-Mega, but with Jolly Nature to outspeed Beedrill + Sceptile-Mega. I choosed Clefable as a Cleric because Gyarados hates burn and paralysis. Ferrothorn is just the best partner of Gyarados. It also sets SR. Gyarados + Ferrothorn is also good against Rain teams. ClefTran is obviously a good core, so Heatran joined the team. The 2 cores was really weak to stall, also needed a Electric-immunity so Wallbreaker Landorus-I is here. To conclude, Zapdos is my check to Salamence-Mega and the Defogger.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Team 4:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Latias (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

i first started with dd gyara with crunch>ice fang because it was a great threat in oras. it is the cleaner of the team and it can set up on lots of pokes in the meta. for clef i wanted to use a cm stored power set as it would help at stallbreaking and kill venusaur for gyarados. so the core i used was meant to break for each other and both being great wincons.
with the given core, they both seemed weak to steels like skarmory and ferrothorn. scarf mag seemed logical as it can trap steels, and check fast threats like jolly talonflame, greninja and weavile unlike zone.
the team seemed very weak to things like thundurus, opposing mag and using landog would help out and also resist the fighting weakness the team had. this mon helps me revenge fast electircs, while setting up rocks.(evs to outspeed fast 145s like sceptile and 150s like aero.)

the team was missing out on something to check keldeo and the team was hurt very badly by rocks because of the volt-turn combo and gyara. latias was a great fit as it could check it many spatkers like lando-i, thund-i, keldeo and zard-y for the team and of course, defog. healing wish was the main selling point of latias so it can restore gyara's health.

in the end the team was p good but it had a gaping weakness to ice + fighting moves. azu surves as the glue and i added it to finish off the lati +azu core. it also takes on many of the spatking mons lati deals with so if it dies, i still have smth to deal with them.

Team 5:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware / Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 80 HP / 180 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Memento

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze-Dry / Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry/ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 148 Def / 120 SpA
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest / Pain Split

The core had really good synergy together. I decided to put Healing Wish on Clefable to give M-Gyarados a second chance to sweep, Unaware Clef beats CM M-Sableye cuz otherwise sweep my team, the core had one counter on common cuz my clef doesn't have Fire attack so to make things easier i put Gothi + Mamo. How Mamo and Gothi makes a core?, Well i put on Mamo Knock Off cuz in this meta righ now there is a lot of trappers so i knock it off on switch in Skarms and Ferros are the most commons counter to Mamo even Slowbro(No Mega obviously) and then trap with my Gothi. Also helps with Chansey, Clef, Sylveon even cuz tbh no one runs Shed Shell Chansey/Blissey. If that isn't enough Choice Scarf Latios to revenge Greninja, M-Salamence, M-Beedril, M-Sceptile and helps with Rain teams too. And last the best mon in the meta tbh, The always trusty Rotom-W, I Ev'd to always break Salamence Max Hp Sub and then revenge with Mamo or Latios, Also help with birds spam. So to be completely honest this team had a good match up vs every playstyle

Jolly Gyara cuz after +1 outspeed base 145, and just for be Jolly nature still ensure the same KO's, Mega bro gets 3hko and 2hko after +1 with Crunch
Utility Clef Unaware just to beat CM Sableye such an annoying mon and a switch in to dragon spam, DD Dnite had no chance to beat me bar crits. Also helps with Thundy.
Gothi to trap Ferros, Skarm, Slowbros, Chansey/Blissey, Sylveon, Clef . Such a good mon to beat stall.
Latios, Scarf right now is good cuz revenge a good part of the metagame, Memento opens gyara Sweep easy :] , Defog just for if i needed i never use that but is a filter, and last dual stab pretty standard
Mamo all out attacker nothin much to said.
And The Best mon Rotom-w specific evs toi break Max HP M-Salamence subs ALWAYS :] , and i love Chesto Rest.

Threats:
- Greninja : Tbh the only switch in right now is Poliwrath, I just revenge this frog
- Bisharp : M-Gyarados my only way to deal with this mon, Gyara can live a +3 LO Sucker after rocks :], or Mamo can take a sucker without any boost.
- For the moment everything is handle

Team 6:

Gyarados-Mega (M) @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

When I saw that Mega Gyarados was part of this round's core, I immediately knew which set I wanted to use. The sub dd set allows Gyarados to set up on many common pokemon such as Alomomola, Mega Slowbro, and Mew. The dark+water coverage is resisted by very few common pokemon so the coverage of eq or ice fang is not missed at all. The second part of the core is Healing Wish Clefable, which offers valuable support for the rest of the team. Next I added double dancing Landorus-T which works very well with the aforementioned Clefable + Gyarados sets. Landorus appreciates the removal of bulky waters + Ferrothorn (Gyarados' switch ins), and Healing Wish allows Lando T to act as a pivot throughout the match that can always be healed up to sweep later on. Next up is choice scarf Tyranitar as the team needed some immediate speed and in general scarf ttar has a great matchup against many common pokemon. I then chose the 3 attack recover Latios set as the team needed some immediate power and it has very few switch ins in the current metagame. Latios does not need defog because of spikes Ferrothorn in the next slot. Ferrothorn is used as the hazard setter and Azumarill check as the rest of the team is utterly destroyed by Azumarill. The dual hazards set is used on Ferrothorn to make Gyarados' + Lando T's jobs much easier.

Team 7:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt

welp y'all know the basics behind gyara n clefable by now, they work well and shit. I chose to run sub over earthquake cuz i feel i have rotom-w handled prety well and bulky waters like crocune and slowbro are annoying and I dont like praying I dont get burned from scald every other turn while I try to beat them so Sub is here; other moves are STABs, standard. Clefable is standard, zero explanation necessary. Latias runs hp fire to beat ferro and healing wish to help gyara cuz I use him to check a lot of shit like ninja and lando-t and what not. I chose CM landorus to help break stall and in general it just pairs very well with mgyara. I chose sludge wave to nail azu and lati at the same time, and hidden power ice mainly to surprise subDD mmence as they mevolve. Its nice that it kills lando-t and other shit that think they can take one hit as well, and I shud probably start using focus blast or knock off or something over that but whatever. Taunt Tran counters opposing clefable, which need to be weakened for mgyara, and I run earth power over toxic because i found switching into tran rather annoying and difficult cuz I didn't want gyara to risk status and ahzards and shit. tran needs to be gone for clefable too so earth power is a nice surprise. Kyu-b just rounds off the team by cleaning shit up and revenging stuff and surprising shit and what not. It can revenge subDD mence and other fast megas, liek mscept and mdrill. Outrage is stronk and is a huge threat to HO teams, and lando+mgyara can often leave them softened up for kyu-b to clean so that works out nicely. I run iron head cuz mdiancie is a huge threat if lando gets too weak.

Team 8:

EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Waterfall

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Healing Wish
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 160 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hurricane

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Counter

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

This team is built around mega gyarados great sweeping potential with hazards + wish + healing wish as well as a solid defensive backbone to fall back on.

Gyarados - This is of course a dd set, I chose to go sub because bulky waters are annoying as hell and it has the ability to set up on mega slowbro withought risking burns. Enough speed is ran to outspeed weavile at +1, the rest is put into attack and a little bit into HP.

Clefable - Really solid mon. Even though I have a chansey on the team, thundurs with superpower and knock off can break me easily, so a mg calm 96 sp.def set is used. Healing wish was asked to be used, and it is actually really useful for healing gyara late game if its statused, or simply to heal a member of the team that is more useful and needs healing.

Tornadus Therian - My team was ridiculously weak to mega venusaur and grass pivots, as well as lando i being a real pest. Tornadus-T fit in perfectly, and is a great pivot that really annoys the opposing team with knock off + u-turn + regen.

Heatran - Ferrothorn was a huge pain to deal with, as well as the lati's and fairies, so heatran was a great choice. Offensive baloon tran was chosen simply because I find it more effective in the current meta than leftovers.

Skarmory - Sand, birds and all round physical attackers were a huge pain for the team. Skarmory was a logical choice, as well as it providing spikes and whirlwind support.

Chansey - Even though people hate to admit it, Chansey + skarm is still effective in ORAS. Pokemon like ninja were dangerous as hell, and the team really wanted wish support. Chansey was a logical choice, and really rounded of the team.

The team became a hazard stacking semi-stall, and even though I lack hazard control, I can usually force opposing defog with all my hazards.

Threats
Gallade / Medicham / Gardevoir / Heracross - These megas are really annoying, but can generally be taken care of with offensive pressure from torn and tran.

Team 9:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 216 Def / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roar
- Ice Beam

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

I started with the core, Mega Gyarados and Clefable. In XY OU I usually just put Adamant with 216 Spe on Mega Gyara, but the speed tiers have improved so much in ORAS that I had to go Jolly and pretty much max speed to outspeed Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Lopunny at +1. I went double stab, dd, and instead of Sub I went with EQ to nail Rotom-W and the newly popular Empoleon, while still being able to hit Magnezone and the such harder without DD if it comes to it. I went with the most standard Clefable set since Mega Gyarados already struggles with Ferrothorn. After that, I was weak to fighting (Mega Gyarados) a bit with weakness to Poison. I also needed rocks, so I added Landorus-T, which also provided slow U-turn and a main check to bird-spam and Mega Salamence. I was looking very Keldeo weak as soon as Mega Gyarados Mega Evolves, so I put Defog Latias, but with healing wish to bring back Mega Gyarados or Landorus-T if it comes to it. I was looking at the team, and I was not only weak to Ice-type attacks but also very Greninja weak, so I added Empoleon, and since I already have both defog and rocks, I put Roar/Toxic with Scald and Ice Beam. Finally, I added Scarf Thundurus-T, since it offensively checks more than half of the ORAS meta, is powerful, surprising, and has immunity to Electric, which means Rotom-W and Thundurus will have a hard time faving this team. Landorus-T is bulky as possible while being able to fire off powerful attacks. Empoleon is not fully SpD since I think with this spread it can take hits overall better.

Sorry I'm a little late, I had a lot of work to get done today.

Voting will end 12:00 pm Saturday afternoon to make up for me being late.

Last edited:
On another note. To keep this thread more active I would like to open up suggestions on Cores for ORAS OU.
Also feel free to discuss the current core that is up (Even if you are teambuilding) That way we can get the best teams possible.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
for the next round i would suggest an offensive core based on mega gallade. Its impressive offensive power makes it painful for the opponent to switch on it and and with access to swords dance and powerful STABs (especially close combat) it can punch massive holes in opposing teams. greninja does a wonderful job paired with gallade because it is fantastic at shutting down weakened opponents and it is overall one of the best pokemon in the tier vs offensive playstyles, while gallade can take care of demolishing defensive teams. furthermore they have good synergy since both can pressure each other's counters.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
This was really hard to pick but I'm going with Team 6 on this one mostly for its team build which I think was very solid. I liked Team 9 as well but I felt it spent a lot of time overpreparing for M-Mence which left it prone to some other things currently. Also to whoever did Team 7, you can drop Lando-Is Attack IVs to 0 and you'll still maintain HP Ice.

Suggested cores for next round:
M-Metagross/Keldeo
M-Gallade/Greninja (Going off of what Silver97 said basically)
M-Sableye/Heatran
Defensive cores in general cause offense is lame

next round suggestions:

Mega Gallade & Bishart
Mega Gallade & Rotom-W & Lando-T
Mega Lopunny & Gothitelle & Rotom-W
Mega Metagross & Hydreigon (keeping it somewhat interesting)
Scizor & Kingdra (Politoed would be an obvious partner but maybe there's some scrub who really likes CritDra, also it'd be cool if we could choose if Scizor be Mega or not)
Mega Sableye & Tentacruel
Skarmory & Blissey

Lots of good teams this round. My vote goes to Team 3. It looks solid, though LO Gengar and Greninja look like huge threats to the team.

For next round, I suggest a double-bunny core of Diggersby x Lopunny. Diggersby is great against stall/balanced teams while Mega Lopunny is a big threat to offense, so they should work well together. Plus, they're both bunnies.

next round suggestions ;

Mega Gardevoir & Bisharp
Mega Metagross & Hydreigon - as Rosen said because its my favorite oras core ever.
Mega Latias & Keldeo
Mega Latias & Cobalion

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voting team 2 cuz I used something similar to it and its decent.

Next round cores:
Zapdos + Clefable
Metagross + Keldeo
Greninja + Diggersby

I've used all three and I can safely say that they are incredibly effective, as they have netted me into the top 30 of the ORAS ladder multiple times.

welp my team didn't make it in somehow so i guess i'll vote for team 3, even though team 6 looks very solid on paper it gets absolutely destroyed by roost + 3 atks mega altaria (or even dd if ferro is gone) and unaware clefable is really the best option imo, although agility metagross is a huge threat... it's a close call but yeah team 3

also zapdos + anything sounds good, i really like zapdos rn

ACTUALLY FUCK THAT LET'S DO SOMETHING WITH WOBBUFFET Y/Y

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
edit: SORRY for making an assumption :[

i'm voting for team 6. i simply feel it is the most solid teambuild of these that is built to support the win condition of mega gyara, and the added threat of double dance landorus-t wrecking some holes in some types of defensive/balanced teams that need softening for gyara to deal with. hw clef and double hazards ferro also support the team's win condition well. many of the teams i feel don't support the execution of a win condition or goal effectively while this team is actually focused on that, putting it ahead of the others in my book.
team 1 is pretty bisharp weak (gyara being the only check and that of course being the idea for the win con). it's also raped by zard y and i feel like a lot of mons even though they can be checked such as landorus-i, just cause the team a lot of grief and since tran lacks a rock move, talonflame is a huge problem. the team is just lacking in speed, the only fast mon is starmie which doesn't have the stuff to outspeed mons like greninja, lopunny, and sceptile. that type of team really needs some sort of revenge killer/fast mon presence, and it's lacking there.

team 2 i feel is just poorly built...i guess it's supposed to be dragmag with the mamo lead/whatever but then it's running two highly passive defensive mons (unaware clefable and defensive defog zapdos) that completely kill the momentum of the team.

team 3 is a neat balance but i don't think it's the optimal build. it struggles to beat any sort of defensive team with a landorus-i counter, it's absolutely annihilated by mew, elec weak particuarly focus blast thundurus and mega manectric, weak to keldeo considering gyara is the only check and there's a move called scald (just plays mindgames with hydro/scald vs secret sword the entire game), and weak to ferrothorn as in it's very hard to get worn down for gyara with the team and tran will be worn down fast without lefties.

team 4 seems promising but it feels like a weak offensive build in terms of controlling momentum, as the scarfrox landorus-t is a total momentum loss and in general the team is lacking in any way to slam big holes in the opposing team that can create openings. the mons themselves just aren't that strong which can make it hard to put pressure on opposing teams that have a gyara answer not named ferrothorn (and even that can carry shed shell).

team 5 i'm just going to be completely honest and say that i'm heavily biased against gyara goth because i feel it is heavily matchup-based and can tend to falter in more offensive matchups, in some cases. i don't think this team successfully avoids these problems.

team 7 is completely & utterly dismantled by mega diancie and mega altaria, and is rather gross weak. i also completely disagree with the choice of taunt over roar on tran giving the necessity of preventing mence, also i disagree with the choice of ep instead of toxic because it removes heatran's ability to beat talonflame.

team 8 just feels like a meh semi-stall/balance that doesn't have the offensive capacity, walling capacity, or combination of both to succeed. it kinda plops on a bunch of fat stuff with a gyara, plus there's no hazard control on this defensive team so it's spikes weak. struggles to break opposing defensive cores too.

team 9 has some other issues but principally it just loses to ferrothorn + clef answer which is pretty meh in and of itself

Last edited:
hey CZ. man why you cutting teams -_- i didn't submit but seriously there's no harm in allowing all of the teams to be voted on. it's silly to exclude people based on a subjective evaluation of their team in something as non-serious as this

---

anyways, i'm voting for team 6. i simply feel it is the most solid teambuild of these that is built to support the win condition of mega gyara, and the added threat of double dance landorus-t wrecking some holes in some types of defensive/balanced teams that need softening for gyara to deal with. hw clef and double hazards ferro also support the team's win condition well. many of the teams i feel don't support the execution of a win condition or goal effectively while this team is actually focused on that, putting it ahead of the others in my book.
team 1 is pretty bisharp weak (gyara being the only check and that of course being the idea for the win con). it's also raped by zard y and i feel like a lot of mons even though they can be checked such as landorus-i, just cause the team a lot of grief and since tran lacks a rock move, talonflame is a huge problem. the team is just lacking in speed, the only fast mon is starmie which doesn't have the stuff to outspeed mons like greninja, lopunny, and sceptile. that type of team really needs some sort of revenge killer/fast mon presence, and it's lacking there.

team 2 i feel is just poorly built...i guess it's supposed to be dragmag with the mamo lead/whatever but then it's running two highly passive defensive mons (unaware clefable and defensive defog zapdos) that completely kill the momentum of the team.

team 3 is a neat balance but i don't think it's the optimal build. it struggles to beat any sort of defensive team with a landorus-i counter, it's absolutely annihilated by mew, elec weak particuarly focus blast thundurus and mega manectric, weak to keldeo considering gyara is the only check and there's a move called scald (just plays mindgames with hydro/scald vs secret sword the entire game), and weak to ferrothorn as in it's very hard to get worn down for gyara with the team and tran will be worn down fast without lefties.

team 4 seems promising but it feels like a weak offensive build in terms of controlling momentum, as the scarfrox landorus-t is a total momentum loss and in general the team is lacking in any way to slam big holes in the opposing team that can create openings. the mons themselves just aren't that strong which can make it hard to put pressure on opposing teams that have a gyara answer not named ferrothorn (and even that can carry shed shell).

team 5 i'm just going to be completely honest and say that i'm heavily biased against gyara goth because i feel it is heavily matchup-based and can tend to falter in more offensive matchups, in some cases. i don't think this team successfully avoids these problems.

team 7 is completely & utterly dismantled by mega diancie and mega altaria, and is rather gross weak. i also completely disagree with the choice of taunt over roar on tran giving the necessity of preventing mence, also i disagree with the choice of ep instead of toxic because it removes heatran's ability to beat talonflame.

team 8 just feels like a meh semi-stall/balance that doesn't have the offensive capacity, walling capacity, or combination of both to succeed. it kinda plops on a bunch of fat stuff with a gyara, plus there's no hazard control on this defensive team so it's spikes weak. struggles to break opposing defensive cores too.

team 9 has some other issues but principally it just loses to ferrothorn + clef answer which is pretty meh in and of itself
i actually submitted my description super late (like at the same time he posted the teams) so that's partly my bad

Jukain yeah I didn't leave any out this time mate, only the ones without descriptions. The only reason I left some out last round was because it's very time consuming each round. But I thought everyone should get their shot, so I'll just have to make some more time n_n

well anyway my team didn't make it in due to procrastination on my part but CZ. gave me the OK to share it in here anyway to, at least, get some feedback:

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight

EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt/Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 72 HP / 236 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Final Gambit
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
IVs: 29 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Recover

Starting from the given core, picking the sets for Clefable and Gyarados was proving to be fairly tricky, so I built the rest of the team first. When I build, he first two necessities I look for are typically a Birdspam check and a Sand check, so it was simply a matter of which ones I needed. Starting with sand, I decided that, with the addition of Drain Punch to his arsenal, Chesnaught would be a neat addition, and I was right. Gyara greatly appreciates having mons softened up by Spikes, and Leech Seed is a plus for pretty much anything. Plus, Chesnaught gives negative fucks about Bisharp, and that's always a plus when building around Clefable. Now, Chesnaught can tank a Thunderbolt from the likes of Thundy with no problem, but it is not going to want to eat an HP Ice, so I added Assault Vest Raikou to check Thundy and Mega Mane along with Talonflame and Pinsir no problem, with Shadow Ball>Extrasensory as Mega Venu is increasingly less common while Latios is all over the place. With those out of the way, I looked to Hazard Removal as Gyara does not like Rocks in the slightest. Started with Latias then moved on to Latios, with EQ to bop Heatran, which so far was quite an annoyance to the given 4 members. Added a lil bit of bulk as I like my Defoggers with some meat on them. Also, Keldeo. Anyway, I saw an opportunity to create a sick FWG core, and going the DSF route as well I added Scarftran, which didn't really work well at all actually as the team so far was leaning a bit much on the special side and Mega Beedrill can outspeed even with timid and KO with Bulldoze. So then I looked to other fire types to slap a scarf on, and Victini seemed pretty neat-o, so I tried it, and it's marvelous. ScarfTini is criminally underrated and should be used more often. Anyway, standard Tini moveset, with Final Gambit if I need to break something early game, and the EVs to outspeed Mega Sceptile and Beedrill with Scarf. Now, with that out of the way, time to move on to the initial core. This team hates status, so I started with Magic Guard SR + Heal Bell, which evolved to Unaware SR + Healbell as DD Mega Altaria was a massive threat, also, fuck Mega Sableye. Mega Gyara was initially the bulky Taunt spread, which evolved into a more offensive one as I felt outspeeding Mega Beedrill and Sceptile at +1 was fairly important. I alternate between Taunt and Substitute on Gyara regularly, they both have their uses, depending on if you want some more security setting up or happen to just really hate Skarmory.

i like the general build of it alright, but it feels a little sloppy in parts, which could maybe be fixed in testing more but hey other people often make good points that i fail to catch/i'm lazy.

AM

LCPL Champion
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
IVs: 29 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Recover[/hide]
i like the general build of it alright, but it feels a little sloppy in parts, which could maybe be fixed in testing more but hey other people often make good points that i fail to catch/i'm lazy.
You're welcome.

You're welcome.
welll i mean it's literally only there for heatran and
0- Atk Life Orb Latios Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 291-348 (75.5 - 90.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
it still 2hkos so i'd rather not sacrifice bulk if not necessary

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
for the next round i would suggest an offensive core based on mega gallade. Its impressive offensive power makes it painful for the opponent to switch on it and and with access to swords dance and powerful STABs (especially close combat) it can punch massive holes in opposing teams. greninja does a wonderful job paired with gallade because it is fantastic at shutting down weakened opponents and it is overall one of the best pokemon in the tier vs offensive playstyles, while gallade can take care of demolishing defensive teams. furthermore they have good synergy since both can pressure each other's counters.
^ gengar imo. It can actually switch into fairies once or twice and blow them back with sludge wave, and hit psychics that are bulky enough to take a knock off (like mega slowbro). meanwhile mega gallade destroys pesky darks and steels for gengar. They form a great offensive core.
Gallade+Gengar=lati pls don't win the speed tie :[

Mega sharpedo+garchomp wud be sik :]
Mega Beedrill+Staraptor
Mega Diancie+Magnezone

Welp lets get to actually criticizing the teams:
Destroyed by mega salamence, like actually zero countermeasures lmao. That's too bad but you wanna atleast put up a fight :/
that aside, opposing ferrothorn are really fucking annoying because it can come in on half of your mons, and the other half are hardly great answers to it; scarftran is not difficult to switch into. Rotom-w also obnoxious but it always is :/
The team also handles ninja kinda badly, but its difficult to handle it at all :/ Gyarados being your only switch in and not having a great way to revenge kill it blows tho, your only wincon is sacrificed to prevent it from steamrolling your team :[
The whole hazard controlling business going on is very nice, but I still feel like counter skarm+chans can wall the entire team :[
Toxicroak+mgarde also threats *-*

You lack much of anything for stall; skarmchans easily walls. Chansey in particular can switch into zone for days and fear nothing in return bar superpower from Mamo, which is a subpar option in the first place; should definitely be replaced with knock off to lure skarm so you can trap with zone.
If mega diancie gets up a rock polish, you basically have to hope discharge from zap para's or its pretty much gg.
Opposing mamoswine really give you a hard time, especially if they carry freeze dry which can OHKO normal gyarados easily.
Gyara breaks down against a lot of the shit its supposed to check, so stuff like greninja and gengar end up wreaking havoc on the team :[
Mew can burn shit and outspeed and knock off specs from zone, from there nothing is gonna have a fun time facing it. Same goes for gliscor really.
Is ok

The same lack of ninja control is found here too: Gyara is worn down super quick and there's no revenge killer to handle it.
Keldeo is also very dangerous, i'd rather not risk a scald burn on my wincon when the team lacks healing wish :/
Mew is very annoying, could knock off life orb from lando and scarf from tran, wisps gyara while definitely living atleast one crunch, and it beats the rest of the team 1v1. Same goes for gliscor, it seems like stallbreakers in general annoy you a lot.
Thundurus is a gigantic threat, more or less claiming a life every time it comes in rip. It just needs to click tbolt(+fblast for ferro) and can even neuter scarftran.

Rocks on scarflant sucks, and in general sucks away a lot of the momentum that this team relies on to succeed. Any grass+tran is gonna give this team a difficult time. I just see this team never breaking a well built stall team in general :[
You're also absolutely destroyed by BD azu

I don't really like memento on scarf latios, everything on the team is bulky and its not easy to conserve momentum with it.
Mega gardevoir and mega altaria turn you inside out, and lousy hazard control kinda sucks for a bulky team too. Gengar more or less grabs a kill everytime it comes in, and it can easily do so against clefable. The team also badly loses to offensive SD megazor, goth is destroyed by bp after rocks and rotom-w gets outsped and OHKO'd with a +2 bug bite after rocks.

A simple core of skarm+tran walls the entire team without breaking a sweat. Skarm in general seems to be a very difficult mon for you to pressure/get around, which stinks cuz it easily wals both ur win cons. Your double dance lando-t spread is sub-optimal, and you have absolutely nothing for opposing CM clefable. Spikes+rocks both on ferro is very subpar, and i feel like the team just doesnt' break cores in general; slowbro/alomo+amoong+any lati switch-in walls the team as well. No hazard control sucks when you use gyara to check crucial threats like ninja, which stinks as the rest of your team is utterly steamrolled by it. Special fairies like mega altaria and mega garde wreak havoc as well.

That's me :P

The clefable set seems really weird and counterproductive, and the mega gyara nature is sub-optimal. Mega Gallade is an enormous threat, it basically kills something everytime it comes in as long as it guesses zen headbutt for clefable or CC for skarm correctly, which is extremely dangerous. No hazard control seriously sucks on such a defensive team, without it its easily pressured by rocks and spikes. CB Terrak can come in and grab a kill with stone edge every single time, and you have only the unreliable hurricane to even revenge it with :/ Not only that but you really struggle to break any defensive cores too :/ It just seems like a subpar semi-stall that can't beat decent offense OR decent stall.

Well being well-prepared for mmence and ninja is refreshing for a change...
but the team still badly loses to a few mons like mega garde, it just comes in and you have nothing to revenge or take a hit.
Mamoswine is a gigantic problem with 5/6 of your mons basically losing and gyarados losing if it has freeze dry.
This team also basically loses to specially based LO kyu-b which could be a problem if Focus Blast from thundy-i doesn't hit :[
Magnezone in general seems to really scare this team as it kills empol, especially when paired with mdiancie or azu. Empol dying opens up sooo many holes in this team ;_;

I sound harsh in these but remember no team is perfect and I love you all <3
That said I really don't like any of these teams, including mine z_z

Reactions: AM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)