Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
While mega metagros has the stats to be an absolute monster, I find that in practice metagame trends that were already around for dealing with stuff like excadrill/megacham/and the like leave many types with a go to option to send against him in ORAS OU, and they do not need to consciously build a mega gros check into their team.

I've never gotten a chance to see mega gallade do well in ORAS or ORAS mono, but it to it's credit, it dosen't compromise the ability to cover things that mew can't stall break like heatran (making it worth considering over cham), and can put quite a few types through the wringer. I miss fake out+ BP saving me against ceirtain mons though.. very ocasional difficulties getting the initial transform

I agree with mega sableeye's projected rank. You Might be overselling diancie; I have literally seen it zero times. I don't really doubt that mence will be banned in OU, and there are fair reasons to follow suit for us..... I'll be laddering hard during ORAS initial release depsite that :D

I find megaaltaria to be underated as I love the mystery around whether he will be running cleric, dd, or special attacks, and to his credit, he can manhandle most electirc attackers despite hidden power coverage, although this isn't quite as useful for flying teams as their current mons. still gets you out of the lando/thundy-t mold though.

Doublade usage could spike on steel teams due to it coinciding with the holes in some of the new megas, at the least, it will scout out there coverage move.

I also strongly beleive that while mega slowbro will merely be "very good" in OU, it will become overcentralizing in monotype, but I will wait (and powerladder) [strike]before starting a loose cannon crusade to ban it[/strike]
Mega Diance reaches an important speed tier for Rock Types. 110 speed lets it outspeed non choiced Keldeo, Terrakion etc who'd sweep the team otherwise.

Porygon 2 (normal) for A rank

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

In all likelihood, your porygon will look something like this, using it's large bulk and ability to wear people down with it's decent special attacks to deal with the physical attackers chansey can't touch, as well as take most of the other moves psyshock pokemon are likely to possess. Running toxic or even discharge over thunderwave is an option, as porygon may be out for a long enough time to make this worthwhile.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spatk / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Discharge
- Recover

Porygon 2 is still a decent tank without EV investment and gains the abiility to cleanly 2HKO defensive pokemon such as zapdos and suicune, giving the offensive duck the ability to break pokemon that could outlast a chansey/staraptor core, as well as hitting any offensive switch in like a truck. It's possible to take the middle road and simply run download on your 252 hp/252 def, but while it dosen't have to stall for as long as the trace variant, it also racks up fully avoidable chip damage against the likes of heatran and gastrodon. Also using him as a tank means you have to look elsewhere for your physical wall.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252Def / 4SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Conversion 2
- Recover

Why would you run such a troll move? The answer isn't that hard. It can turn boosting pokemon that rely on tanking rather than coverage into mincemeat and get an immunity to toxic fairly easily. The best cases are against pokemon like gyarados, who will find that his waterfall isn't looking too hot anymore. Most pokemon running fire attacks also share coverage which isn't spectacular. It quite simply turns a lot of 3HKOs and 2HKOs with hazards into 5HKOs or worse. If porygon's ever called on to tank a +1 outrage, this will ensure that he lives the second hit, gets a chance to heal up, and then OHKOs as usual (although he risks a coverage EQ/fire punch if they don't mind confusion) Generally I'd recomend download for this, but the specific target pokemon learn things like intimidate, rough skin, and multiscale, all of which are huge for porygon to have.

Usually Porygon 2 is just an absolutely fine tank who first dosen't have many problems. It does hate status, but normal will inevitably have THE CLERIC to handle this. Sadly it can't do squat against fighting types in general. He's a fine back up tank, and can do things that many walls can only dream of. He loves fishing for t waves and discharges, since protection from toxic narrows his weaknesses to just knock off and fighting attacks. He will almost never use foul play, because the lack of stab on it make it less effective for pressureing SD pokemon than what tri attack can do. Sometimes it is seen experimenting with magic coat to annoy things that come in to status it, or trick room to support some fairly deadly teamates. Charge beam w/wo substitue still exist despite being far less effective this gen. Porygon is a pretty potent pokeon for most normal teams, although it isn't quite essential to them. He comes with strings attached, worst of all making the team doubly weak to knock off. It also can't quite handle steel pokemon with toxic. It can be pressured out by leech seed and will o wisp as well. If chansey dies before the enemy stall core does, then porygon often finds himself unable to cope.
I personally feel like Porygon2's S rank for Normal since it walls every Physical attacker out there that isn't named a Fighting type. Also, I'd change the Evs for your first set to be all Defense since there's no point investing in Sp Def since you have Chansey. As for the set it should be this, since it's the most effective:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Recover

Tri Attack isn't that important since it's pretty weak w/o investment. Ice Beam + Discharge form boltbeam and Toxic puts pressure on set up mons. Recover is mandatory. Nice write up otherwise.

Haxorus (Dragon) for B rank

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Taunt
- Poison Jab

With taunt, haxorus can prevent bulky stealth rock pokemon throwing rocks up, but given that it's extremely easy to fit defog, latias or latios onto teams this isn't especially powerful. He can also manhandle smearlge and breloom, but again, with lum berry, this can be done with better dragons. His dragon dance raises him above kyurem B and W's scarf tier however, and is still very threatening to most other pokemon. He can also be a tad ballsier with scald than his brethren.

Haxorus @ Haban Berry/ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Due to his trolly speed and uniquely high Atk Stat, Haxorus is one of the best users of these items available, as he can neutralize some lone Pokemon that provide the biggest offensive threat to a dragon mono, or just wail on some unfortunate bulky water.Opposing dragon monos are also unlikely to want to carry multiple scarf pokemon, so identifying them can maintain his armor or just prevent you from having no other response than tying with your own scarfer. Destroys charizard X and Hydregon, who will not feel the need to switch or status you because he presumes that he can KO you and that your biggest potential threat is a scarf which he can safely beat at +1.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Chop
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab

While the Air Ballon Heatran has been more or less abandoned in OU, it still thrives in monotype, which is where haxorus comes in with for low kick. Low kick's other claim to fame is sniping ferrothorn. Dual Chop Is used because it allows you to still lead with him if you see Breloom or smeargle in the team preview. This does leave you vulnerable to rotom W and further chip damage potential if faced with the unfortunate stall breaker mew.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Dual dancer uses the appropriate move for the Pokemon he comes in on and their team. If he comes in on something like Lando-t/gliscor/Hippodon/mew(even sableye) or they still have a full health tank to fodder for him, he uses SD, while dragon dance is reserved for when he comes against a pivot or weak thing that can't threaten him, allowing him to outspeed his checks which haven't switched in yet. His earthquake is notable for breaking sturdy rock and steel types and levitating rotom due to his ability.

Haxorus learns several moves that are unique for the dragon type. Low Kick, which snipes ferrothron and air balloon steels. He also learns endeavor, making a possible sashed anti lead a possibility. Furthering this train of thought, he is practically the only dragon with counter, as goodra is too valuable as a specially defensive tank to ever use it. I find his Choiced sets to be unworthy due to his unfortunate speed. His swords dancing is comparable to mega garchomp, but similarly, none of the super walls that this can edge out (compared to a tame salamence and dragonite) can run enough special bulk at the same time needed to manage goodra or a offensive lati. The lead sets he rocked last gen and in UU can be done as well by lum garchomp, who can also set up hazards of his own, while being less reliant on reading the enemy team previews and seeing what they want to spend. He does run poison jab which garchomp has no business with, so he can be a help if you feel azumarill and whimsicott have been getting off easy, although in turn, mix or standard kyurem targets them better between it's psuedo bolt beam coverage and a possible iron head for clefable.

Last edited:
Crawdaunt for (Dark) B rank, and (Water) C rank

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch

Crawdaunt obliterates any wall that dares commit the simple crime of being slower than him. Crunch packs extra punch on things that you've been obliged to knock off with your other pokemon or megas, but the star of the show is Usually Knock off. With Polietoed rain up his crabhammer reaches such ZOMG power that it 2HKOs skarmory through roost. Aqua jet is good on pokemon that have been weakened, which is easy for a water team to provide between its hazards and bulk. Anything cabable of living him will find itself hard pressed to outwall your own team without their items. ANY Azumarill is outsped, and while you don't get to use the 2HKO against competent opponents, clicking knock off means that they can never belly drum, since the sitrus will not activate to put them where they neeed to be. Most Clefable are outsped easily, and the fastest of them typically quit at neutral uninvested base 70s, so you even get insurance against cancer, who will be weakened to the point that you're almost guranteed to have something on your team to KO it with, even if it's mandibuzz. It can even go ham on mawile on certain occasions, although it's bulk is bad enough for the resitant sucker punch to kill with klefki's spikes up or after mawille is boosted.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

It JUST retains the power to prevent azumarill from getting a belly drum. IF clefable (65-75%) or mawile (75%-85%, still a 2HKO with intimidate) wuss out, then you get 75% on klefki, and because it never runs speed, you can aqua jet to KO before it sets up reflect or twave, meaning you will still get 1 of the other 3 trades, any of which would put them in kill range of many of your other pokemon even if they did get screens again .

It's almost entirely outclassed by the band set against other teams, as few other monos share resistances to this pair of stabs, although it means they cannot revenge you with weakened pokemon anymore due to being able to switch to priority at any time.

Crawdaunt @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Dragon Dance/ Swords Dance

Crawdaunt can set up with one of two moves.. While he dosen't outspeed much, (see below) it has it's uses. The SD set is usually better, as aqua jet is the most versatile attack, and at +2 it can break several frailer pokemon with just a touch of prior u-turn, sandstorm, or hazard damage.

All in all, Crawdaunt is comparable to the crash novas you found in old arcade coin op games. He clears the screen and then his blaze of glory burns out just as suddenly. Water teams suit him extremely well because he can ward off habits of safe switching between important walls and get rid of the one things per team that typically threatens to have the ability to disable the defensive core for good. Slow rotom w volt swtich and vaporeon baton pass can even get him in easily. If your wondering, Life orb adamant knock off still JUST stops azumarill from using belly drum, for those of you afraid of letting in mawile, who is still 2HKO by crab hammer after an intimidate.

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Haxorus (Dragon) for D rank

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Taunt
- Poison Jab

With taunt, haxorus can prevent bulky stealth rock pokemon throwing rocks up, but given that it's extremely easy to fit defog, latias or latios onto teams this isn't especially powerful. He can also manhandle smearlge and breloom, but again, with lum berry, this can be done with better dragons. His dragon dance raises him above kyurem B and W's scarf tier however, and is still very threatening to most other pokemon. He can also be a tad ballsier with scald than his brethren.

Haxorus @ Haban Berry/ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Due to his trolly speed and uniquely high Atk Stat, Haxorus is one of the best users of these items available, as he can neutralize some lone Pokemon that provide the biggest offensive threat to a dragon mono, or just wail on some unfortunate bulky water.Opposing dragon monos are also unlikely to want to carry multiple scarf pokemon, so identifying them can maintain his armor or just prevent you from having no other response than tying with your own scarfer. Destroys charizard X and Hydregon, who will not feel the need to switch or status you because he presumes that he can KO you and that your biggest potential threat is a scarf which he can safely beat at +1.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Chop
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab

While the Air Ballon Heatran has been more or less abandoned in OU, it still thrives in monotype, which is where haxorus comes in with for low kick. Low kick's other claim to fame is sniping ferrothorn. Dual Chop Is used because it allows you to still lead with him if you see Breloom or smeargle in the team preview. This does leave you vulnerable to rotom W and further chip damage potential if faced with the unfortunate stall breaker mew.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Dual dancer uses the appropriate move for the Pokemon he comes in on and their team. If he comes in on something like Lando-t/gliscor/Hippodon/mew(even sableye) or they still have a full health tank to fodder for him, he uses SD, while dragon dance is reserved for when he comes against a pivot or weak thing that can't threaten him, allowing him to outspeed his checks which haven't switched in yet. His earthquake is notable for breaking sturdy rock and steel types due to his ability.

Haxorus learns several moves that are unique for the dragon type. Low Kick, which snipes ferrothron and air balloon steels. He also learns endeavor, making a possible sashed anti lead a possibility. Furthering this train of thought, he is practically the only dragon with counter, as goodra is too valuable as a specially defensive tank to ever use it. I find his Choiced sets to be unworthy due to his unfortunate speed. His swords dancing is comparable to mega garchomp, but similarly, none of the super walls that this can edge out (compared to a tame salamence and dragonite) can run enough special bulk at the same time needed to manage goodra or a offensive lati. The lead sets he rocked last gen and in UU can be done as well by lum garchomp, who can also set up hazards of his own, while being less reliant on reading the enemy team previews and seeing what they want to spend. He does run poison jab which garchomp has no business with, so he can be a help if you feel azumarill and whimsicott have been getting off easy, although in turn, mix or standard kyurem targets them better between it's psuedo bolt beam coverage and a possible iron head for clefable.
I think you're severely underestimating Haxorus by placing it in D rank. What specifically caught my eye is this: "I find his Choiced sets to be unworthy due to his unfortunate speed." Ok, then why not use Scarf Haxorus? Its attack is high enough anyway at 147 base so it won't be missing out on too much power by using a scarf. Is it a Scarfchomp? No, but if you're using Mega Garchomp for whatever reason, then this can be your replacement Scarfchomp. I personally think Haxorus is at least C rank. Even if its speed tier isn't the best, it has access to Dragon Dance and it's not 4x weak to Ice, giving it two advantages over Garchomp and a few other Dragons that are considered common on Dragon monos. I'll leave my argument at this for now since I'm tired, but I'll probably edit this later and add more detail about why D rank is way too low for Haxorus. (To put it into perspective, I consider things like Shelgon and Flygon to be D rank on Dragon. Haxorus easily outclasses both of those in usefulness.)

Since I don't see it anywhere, I'm gonna go ahead and reserve Alakazam and Mega Alakazam. Just like Shuckle, I'm surprised no one has done this one yet.

Alakazam for A Rank and Mega Alakazam for B Rank

Houdini(Alakazam)@Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast/Dazzling Gleam
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fire

This is the standard Alakazam set. Psychic/Ghost/Fighting gives perfect coverage, and Hidden Power Fire to hit Bug types. Dazzling Gleam is to hit Sableye hard. Sableye's such a troll to Psychic and Alakazam can 2HKO it without any trouble. Thanks to Alakazam's high Speed and SpAtk, it can become a great sweeper. Magic Guard and Focus Sash is a great combination because you won't take hazard damage when you switch in, which also means Focus Sash won't lose its effect. This allows Alakazam to take two hits. Life Orb is also an option since Magic Guard negates the recoil caused by it. However, because of Alakazam's frailty, it won't be too hard to beat as long as you're faster.

You could use this set as well...

Houdini(Alakazam)@Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard/Inner Focus
Timid Nature
-Taunt
-Focus Blast/Counter
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball

Well here's something I pulled out of the DP era. It's a anti-lead set. Taunt for negating Stealth Rock and whatever other non-attacking moves the opponent has, and Inner Focus for Fake Out leads. Psychic is there instead of Psyshock because most common leads are physically defensive. Counter is there to counter Fake Out leads(remember to use Inner Focus instead of Magic Guard if you're planning on using Counter). This set should be able to counter most leads except for Prankster leads and Mental Herb Shuckle.

This set can work as well...

Houdini(Alakazam)@Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fire

Choice Scarf allows Alakazam to outspeed a lot of other common Scarfers and also deal with them easily. However, some Pokemon like Unburden-boosted Hawlucha and rain-boosted Swift Swim Kingdra can outspeed Alakazam and really shrek him up. Alakazam is still fast as hell with Choice Scarf and really strong at the same time. Fun fact: Scarf Alakazam is even faster than Mega Swampert in the rain.

One more set, I swear...

Houdini(Alakazam)@Choice Specs
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fire

Pretty much the same as the Life Orb set except more powerful and more limiting. Why would I mention it if it limits Alakazam's freedom? Because it's just really strong.

Now onto Mega Alakazam...

Houdini(Alakazam)@ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard(Trace after mega evolving)
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fire

Mega Alakazam can be a good mega evolution because of its sheer strength. Trace is kind of a meh ability to be honest. People could predict your switch-in to Alakazam and also switch out and give you a useless ability. However, Mega Alakazam could also be a big troll to Swift Swimmers since Mega Alakazam outspeeds all Swift Swimmers and could also retaliate back. Swift Swim is a little less common nowadays because of Damp Rock ban though. Mega Alakazam also faces competition from two other(soon to be seven other, [five if we ban the Mega Latis]) mega evolutions. While Mega Medicham is a lot stronger and Mega Gardevoir is a little bulkier, Mega Alakazam is still a great option. With the others, you can't really compare Mega Slowbro to Mega Alakazam because they do different roles. The Mega Latis are better than Mega Alakazam in every way. Mega Gallade and Mega Metagross also do better than Mega Alakazam, but they're physical attackers. If you're looking for a specially attacking mega evolution, then Alakazam can be quite good.

All in all, Alakazam is pretty good. Very strong and very fast which is the formula for a good sweeper. However, Alakazam's super frail. Sucker Punch is Alakazam's kryptonite. Since most of the sets are all-out attacking sets, Sucker Punch is sure to be a pain in Alakazam's side. Alakazam is an example of something that a lot of attackers have: if I don't OHKO, then I get OHKO'd. Which is why Alakazam is best as a late-game sweeper.

P.S. I feel that Mega Alakazam could also fit into B Rank since it IS outclassed by Mega Medicham and maybe Mega Gardevoir and it can't really switch-in too often.

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Swellow for C rank (Normal)

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack / Protect
- U-turn

Swellow is just an awesome sweeper, the guts boost makes this pokemon a threat, also it has a pretty cool base 125 speed outspeeding almost everything. Facade is Swellow's best STAB move after Guts is activated. Brave Bird is a good secondary STAB move that allows Swellow to hit Ghost-types hard, but it must be used sparingly due to Swellow's low HP. U-turn allows Swellow to switch out against its checks and counters while still dealing damage, though you should avoid switching Swellow in too often due to its Stealth Rock weakness. Quick Attack allows Swellow to defeat Sucker Punch users and damage opposing priority and Choice Scarf users. Protect is also an option that makes it easy to activate Swellow's Toxic Orb, though it becomes significantly less useful afterwards. The problem with Swellow is its movepool, not being able to hit many types like rock and steel which are common problems when using a mono normal team, also the fact that Swellow needs a damaging Orb and Guts for it to sweep is a problem given that Swellow can't take hits due to its low HP and defenses, and these are just making its lifespam during a match shorter, nonetheless, Swellow is a good pokemon and it's worthy of C rank.

Acast

Alakazam and Mega Alakazam for A Rank

Houdini(Alakazam)@Focus Sash/Life Orb
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fire/Dazzling Gleam

This is the standard Alakazam set. Psychic/Ghost/Fighting gives perfect coverage, and Hidden Power Fire to hit Bug types. Dazzling Gleam is to hit Sableye hard. Sableye's such a troll to Psychic and Alakazam can 2HKO it without any trouble. Thanks to Alakazam's high Speed and SpAtk, it can become a great sweeper. Magic Guard and Focus Sash is a great combination because you won't take hazard damage when you switch in, which also means Focus Sash won't lose its effect. This allows Alakazam to take two hits. Life Orb is also an option since Magic Guard negates the recoil caused by it. However, because of Alakazam's frailty, it won't be too hard to beat as long as you're faster.

You could use this set as well...

Houdini(Alakazam)@Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard/Inner Focus
Timid Nature
-Taunt
-Focus Blast/Counter
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball

Well here's something I pulled out of the DP era. It's a anti-lead set. Taunt for negating Stealth Rock and whatever other non-attacking moves the opponent has, and Inner Focus for Fake Out leads. Psychic is there instead of Psyshock because most common leads are physically defensive. Counter is there to counter Fake Out leads(remember to use Inner Focus instead of Magic Guard if you're planning on using Counter). This set should be able to counter most leads except for Prankster leads and Mental Herb Shuckle.

This set can work as well...

Houdini(Alakazam)@Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Choice Scarf allows Alakazam to outspeed a lot of other common Scarfers and also deal with them easily. However, some Pokemon like Unburden-boosted Hawlucha and rain-boosted Swift Swim Kingdra can outspeed Alakazam and really shrek him up. Alakazam is still fast as hell with Choice Scarf and really strong at the same time. Fun fact: Scarf Alakazam is even faster than Mega Swampert in the rain.

One more set, I swear...

Houdini(Alakazam)@Choice Specs
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Pretty much the same as the Life Orb set except more powerful and more limiting. Why would I mention it if it limits Alakazam's freedom? Because it's just really strong.

Now onto Mega Alakazam...

Houdini(Alakazam)@ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard(Trace after mega evolving)
Timid Nature
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Mega Alakazam can be a good mega evolution because of its sheer strength. Trace is kind of a meh ability to be honest. People could predict your switch-in to Alakazam and also switch out and give you a useless ability. However, Mega Alakazam could also be a big troll to Swift Swimmers since Mega Alakazam outspeeds all Swift Swimmers and could also retaliate back. Mega Alakazam also faces competition from two other(soon to be seven other, [five if we ban the Mega Latis]) mega evolutions.While Mega Medicham is a lot stronger and Mega Gardevoir is a little bulkier, Mega Alakazam is still a great option. With the others, you can't really compare Mega Slowbro to Mega Alakazam because they do different roles. The Mega Latis are better than Mega Alakazam in every way. Mega Gallade and Mega Metagross also do better than Mega Alakazam, but they're physical attackers. If you're looking for a specially attacking mega evolution, then Alakazam can be quite good.

All in all, Alakazam is pretty good. Very strong and very fast which is the formula for a good sweeper. However, Alakazam's super frail. Sucker Punch is Alakazam's kryptonite. Since most of the sets are all-out attacking sets, Sucker Punch is sure to be a pain in Alakazam's side. Alakazam is an example of something that a lot of attackers have: if I don't OHKO, then I get OHKO'd. Which is why Alakazam is best as a late-game sweeper.

P.S. I feel that Mega Alakazam could also fit into B Rank since it IS outclassed by Mega Medicham and maybe Mega Gardevoir and it can't really switch-in too often.
Regular Alakazam could be A rank I suppose, but I think Mega Alakazam should be B (maybe C, but I don't know enough about Psychic teams to be sure on that). Not because it's not good, but because of the opportunity cost. If you use Mega Alakazam, then you can't use Mega Medicham or Gardevoir (or pretty soon Slowbro, Metagross, or the Lati@s twins). So I agree with the P.S. statement that you put in at the end.

Also, on all of your sets I strongly believe Dazzling Gleam should be slashed next to Focus Blast instead of the 4th coverage move. Focus Blast is simply too unreliable and in my opinion it shouldn't be used unless you absolutely need it for coverage, which isn't the case for Alakazam. Of course Focus Miss is still an option, but Ghost and Fairy is unresisted coverage except for Pyroar, and Psyshock/Psychic will hit Pyroar for plenty of damage anyway. Hidden Power Fire is still there to take care of most Steel types. The only Pokemon I can think of that would give the Psyshock, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, HP Fire set some trouble are Heatran and Empoleon. So basically by using Dazzling Gleam over Focus Blast, you're losing the ability to hit two Pokemon hard, but you now have perfect accuracy for all of your moves. A worthy trade in my personal opinion.

Regular Alakazam could be A rank I suppose, but I think Mega Alakazam should be B (maybe C, but I don't know enough about Psychic teams to be sure on that). Not because it's not good, but because of the opportunity cost. If you use Mega Alakazam, then you can't use Mega Medicham or Gardevoir (or pretty soon Slowbro, Metagross, or the Lati@s twins). So I agree with the P.S. statement that you put in at the end.

Also, on all of your sets I strongly believe Dazzling Gleam should be slashed next to Focus Blast instead of the 4th coverage move. Focus Blast is simply too unreliable and in my opinion it shouldn't be used unless you absolutely need it for coverage, which isn't the case for Alakazam. Of course Focus Miss is still an option, but Ghost and Fairy is unresisted coverage except for Pyroar, and Psyshock/Psychic will hit Pyroar for plenty of damage anyway. Hidden Power Fire is still there to take care of most Steel types. The only Pokemon I can think of that would give the Psyshock, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, HP Fire set some trouble are Heatran and Empoleon. So basically by using Dazzling Gleam over Focus Blast, you're losing the ability to hit two Pokemon hard, but you now have perfect accuracy for all of your moves. A worthy trade in my personal opinion.
Fair enough. It's fixed now.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
You see, I think Focus Blast is necessary, especially on the sashed set, as dazzling gleam simply isn't strong enough to reliably revenge some of the targets it's needed to which is a crucial part of Alakazam's niche, being able to revenge slower Pokemon thanks to the great combination of Magic Guard+Sash. You lose out on the ability to reliably take out pokemon such as Tyranitar, as well as being hardwalled by Heatran and any other Steel type that can take a Hidden Power Fire, which is in reality any with recognisable bulk, considering it doesn't even do 70% to skarm. I think dropping Focus Blast, particularly on this set limits the pool of pokemon you can reliably revenge kill too much. Dropping it on the Mega set means you no longer reliably check Sand Rush Excadrill either, as HP Fire needs a decent amount of prior damage to KO. Tbh the changes I would recommend are leave Focus Blast in it's own slot on the sash set, and slash Dazzling Gleam ahead of Taunt, which I don't see as mandatory at all. On the mega set I would slash Dazzling Gleam with HP Fire and on choiced sets I would replace HP Fire completely for Trick. Hope I helped n_n

252 SpA Alakazam Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 180-214 (53.8 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 256-302 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 120-142 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 360-424 (89.3 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

EDIT: Ignore the bit about taunt, got my sets mixed up

Last edited:
Eelektross (Electric) for A rank

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch / Super Fang
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Eelektross takes pressure off of the hard pressed defensive core, and since his slow pivot allows him to take an attack before bringing another mon out, he supports the likes of manetric and thundrus extremely well. Mono teams prefer him to run physical attacks because of their rarity amongst the moajority of the team. He can be an MVP when there is a threat of charizard Y or volcarona in particular. Knock off is excellant utility, both for weakening pokemon with boosting items (especially important if you don't have sticky web) or for hindering defensive pokemon, especially assault vest users. He's been known to throw thunder punch or poison jab on his moveslot, but they aren't as popular as the survivability option, which also hits Sucker punch users that phsyically weak electric monos despise or at the least heals you a bit.

Eelektross (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Coil basically gives the atk and defense boost of bulk up, drain punch provides healing, knock off utility, and tpunch gives STAB. Running speed for base 60s or base 70s and dragontail can give you roar/whirlwind protection versus a couple of defensive threats

A specially based ass vest can pivot as well, and also prevents things setting up on him with acid spray. Grass knot can also go huge against a swampert or gastrodon. His offensive or mixed sets can go hunting for walls with its incredible coverage, but only provide overall greater benefit than the pivot on match ups you already have the advantage on.

Last edited:
o yeah, in addition to the ORAS Megas, some mons get a ton of new tutor moves as well.
Tutor Moves by Pokemon: http://pastebin.com/8rbu6Fmp

Notable Mons + Their new moves:

Greninja (Water / Dark, S Rank): Gunk Shot, Low Kick

Greninja just got better. Gunk Shot anhilates bulky fairies like Azumarill and Clefable. Gunk Shot does a good amount to standard Chansey as well. (Good thing it didn't get Knock Off) Low Kick destroys stuff like AV Tyranitar and Cradily who used to check / wall it respectively.

Chansey

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 218-257 (30.9 - 36.5%) -- 60.1% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 214-253 (30.3 - 35.9%) -- 43.5% chance to 3HKO

Clefable

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 283-338 (71.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Cradily

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 221-265 (58.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Assault Vest Tyranitar

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 179-213 (44.3 - 52.7%) -- 20.3% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 598-707 (148 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO (RIP)

How will this affect Greninja viability wise? Obviously it's not going down, but a majority of the new megas will outspeed it, and it's frail as ever. Greninja still has that 4 move syndrome so what will Water and Dark Monotypes run?

Mega Gyarados (Water / Flying -> Water / Dark, Water = , Flying = A): Crunch

People now have a better STAB to use outside of Bite. Most notably, you can now hit Slowbro and Bulky Psychics for heavy damage instead of subbing and spamming Dragon Dance + Earthquake. However, you lose a coverage move. What will it be? Without Earthquake, you can't hit Electrics for SE damage (notably bulky Rotom), and no Ice Fang will lose a lot of 1KOs on a majority of Dragons.

Slowbro

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Yeah, it's over)

Mew

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 216-254 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Assuming you don't run speed)

Which type will run this more often? Flying or Water? Will people still run sub or will they do the Dragon Dance + 3 attacks set? And most notably, will Mega Gyarados move up because of its new STAB?

Diggersby (Normal = A, Ground = B): Knock Off, Ice Punch, and Superpower

Knock Off lets it do a ton of damage against Taunt Mew who'd wreck its respective teams otherwise. Ice Punch lets it deal 4x damage to Lando-T switchins (and a plethora of Dragons), and Superpower lets it deal a shit ton of damage to Ferrothorn.

Mew

252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lando-T

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 260-307 (68 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn

252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 239-283 (67.8 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Slowbro

252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 221-260 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Like Greninja, I can see it having the 4 move syndrome as well. If you don't run Wild Charge, Skarmory hopelessly walls you. No Knock Off will let Slowbros + Mews wall you etc. However, I can see a Swords Dance set being popular. Will these new moves change Diggersby's rank?

Other changes that may or may not be as good (In other words, I'm not writing them unless if someone wants me to)

Hawlucha (Flying = C Rank, Fighting A Rank): Elemental Punches, Drain Punch

Aurorus (Rock = C Rank, Ice = Unranked): Hyper Voice, Earth Power

Slurpuff (Fairy = C Rank): Drain Punch (!!!!!!!!!!)

Diance (Fairy = B Rank, Rock = Unranked ~C Rank): Heal Bell, Earth Power
Note: Rock as no Heal Beller until now

Volcanion (Fire / Water, Water Absorb, Unrealeased), Superpower, Earth Power

Shiftry (Unranked for both, ~C Rank for Grass): Hurricane (Fuck bugs)

Flygon (Ground = Unranked, Dragon = C Rank): Boomburst (I guess this is Gamefreak's way of saying sorry but not sorry, trololol)

Everything gets Magic Coat now, so status only sets may or may not be as viable now. Suicide leads w/ Stealth Rock may go down in ranks as well.

So anything important? Dicuss my friends :)

Acast

Eelektross (Electric) for B rank

Careful Nature
- Super Fang
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Eelektross takes pressure off of the hard pressed defensive core, and since his slow pivot allows him to take an attack before bringing another mon out, he supports the likes of manetric and thundrus extremely well. Mono teams prefer him to run physical attacks because of their rarity amongst the moajority of the team. He can be an MVP when there is a threat of charizard Y or volcarona in particular. Knock off is excellant utility, both for weakening pokemon with boosting items (especially important if you don't have sticky web) or for hindering defensive pokemon, especially assault vest users. He's been known to throw thunder punch or poison jab over super fang.

He should not run coil sets in mono. A specially based ass vest can pivot as well, and also prevents things setting up on him with acid spray. Grass knot can also go huge against a swampert or gastrodon. His offensive or mixed sets can go hunting for walls with its incredible coverage, but only provide overall greater benefit than the pivot on match ups you already have the advantage on.
"He should not run coil sets in mono." I strongly disagree. I'm sorry but I don't see any reasoning behind that statement. I've been running a coil set on my Electric team for months and it has worked beautifully. I wouldn't say it's the best set, but you cannot say it shouldn't be used. I recommend adding this set into your analysis:

Careful Nature
- Coil
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Eelektross (Electric) for B rank

Careful Nature
- Super Fang
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Eelektross takes pressure off of the hard pressed defensive core, and since his slow pivot allows him to take an attack before bringing another mon out, he supports the likes of manetric and thundrus extremely well. Mono teams prefer him to run physical attacks because of their rarity amongst the moajority of the team. He can be an MVP when there is a threat of charizard Y or volcarona in particular. Knock off is excellant utility, both for weakening pokemon with boosting items (especially important if you don't have sticky web) or for hindering defensive pokemon, especially assault vest users. He's been known to throw thunder punch or poison jab over super fang.

He should not run coil sets in mono. A specially based ass vest can pivot as well, and also prevents things setting up on him with acid spray. Grass knot can also go huge against a swampert or gastrodon. His offensive or mixed sets can go hunting for walls with its incredible coverage, but only provide overall greater benefit than the pivot on match ups you already have the advantage on.
This is another set that Eelektross can run:

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- U-turn / Fire Punch

As one of Electric's most verstaille physical mons, it can easily run a 4 move attacking set. Iirc, this is the set that Tesla uses. (A very good haxy and experienced Electric user.)
Drain Punch hits steels while recovering health. Knock Off removes Eviolites from stuff like Chansey and Porygon2, making them a lot easier to deal with. Rock Slide hits Flying types such as Charizard-Y. U-turn gains momentum, while Fire Punch hits stuff like Ferrothorn even harder than Drain Punch.

"He should not run coil sets in mono." I strongly disagree. I'm sorry but I don't see any reasoning behind that statement. I've been running a coil set on my Electric team for months and it has worked beautifully. I wouldn't say it's the best set, but you cannot say it shouldn't be used. I recommend adding this set into your analysis:

Careful Nature
- Coil
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
It gets Dragon Tail as well :D

upload_2014-11-14_17-15-8.png
Tropius for D Rank (Grass) / Tropius for E Rank/Unranked (Flying)
Tropius @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Substitute
- Air Slash
- Toxic

it allows Tropius to be able to take a hit get the health back with the berry, then toxic or defog dependent on the situation then air slash if there is no hazards or the enemy has been toxiced and no hazards on your side of the field. To be honest Tropius Sucks, you shouldnt use it only for getting rid of hazards on Grass.

Acast

Porygon-Z (Normal) for A rank

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability/Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball / Psyshock / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground

Porygon-Z @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability/Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Agility / Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt / Discharge / Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fighting

Porygon-Z is probably one of Normal's best special sweepers, if not the best. Great abilities, good stats, awesome move pool; it has everything it needs to be a successful sweeper. The only Normal type that rivals it is Meloetta. They have the same speed stat (base 90), but Meloetta has far superior bulk and a better typing while Porygon-Z has a higher special attack stat. Because of these differences, it's perfectly acceptable to run both pokemon on the same team without them filling the same role, therefore, there is little reason to not run Porygon-Z if you want a special sweeper on your team. What's so nice about Pory-Z is that it has a fairly wide variety of sets that it can use, but all of the sets are very straightforward, simple, and effective. It never has to rely on a gimmick to be useful. There are only two things Porygon-Z really wishes it had access to: priority (Vacuum Wave would be amazing) and a higher speed stat. 90 base speed isn't awful. In fact it's actually quite good if you just want a wallbreaker, but it won't be outspeeding any of the most threatening offensive Pokemon out there such as Keldeo and Terrakion.

When deciding how to use Porygon-Z, you simply need to ask yourself two questions:
1. Do I want a sweeper or a wallbreaker?
2. Would I rather have a choice user or a setup attacker?

If your answers were...
-sweeper and choice user, go with Choice Scarf.
-sweeper and setup attacker, go with Agility.
-wallbreaker and choice user, go with Choice Specs.
-wallbreaker and setup attacker, go with Nasty Plot.

o yeah, in addition to the ORAS Megas, some mons get a ton of new tutor moves as well.
Tutor Moves by Pokemon: http://pastebin.com/8rbu6Fmp

Notable Mons + Their new moves:

Greninja (Water / Dark, S Rank): Gunk Shot, Low Kick

Greninja just got better. Gunk Shot anhilates bulky fairies like Azumarill and Clefable. Gunk Shot does a good amount to standard Chansey as well. (Good thing it didn't get Knock Off) Low Kick destroys stuff like AV Tyranitar and Cradily who used to check / wall it respectively.

Chansey

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 218-257 (30.9 - 36.5%) -- 60.1% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 214-253 (30.3 - 35.9%) -- 43.5% chance to 3HKO

Clefable

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 283-338 (71.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Cradily

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 221-265 (58.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Assault Vest Tyranitar

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 179-213 (44.3 - 52.7%) -- 20.3% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 598-707 (148 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO (RIP)

How will this affect Greninja viability wise? Obviously it's not going down, but a majority of the new megas will outspeed it, and it's frail as ever. Greninja still has that 4 move syndrome so what will Water and Dark Monotypes run?

Mega Gyarados (Water / Flying -> Water / Dark, Water = , Flying = A): Crunch

People now have a better STAB to use outside of Bite. Most notably, you can now hit Slowbro and Bulky Psychics for heavy damage instead of subbing and spamming Dragon Dance + Earthquake. However, you lose a coverage move. What will it be? Without Earthquake, you can't hit Electrics for SE damage (notably bulky Rotom), and no Ice Fang will lose a lot of 1KOs on a majority of Dragons.

Slowbro

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Yeah, it's over)

Mew

252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 216-254 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Assuming you don't run speed)

Which type will run this more often? Flying or Water? Will people still run sub or will they do the Dragon Dance + 3 attacks set? And most notably, will Mega Gyarados move up because of its new STAB?

Diggersby (Normal = A, Ground = B): Knock Off, Ice Punch, and Superpower

Knock Off lets it do a ton of damage against Taunt Mew who'd wreck its respective teams otherwise. Ice Punch lets it deal 4x damage to Lando-T switchins (and a plethora of Dragons), and Superpower lets it deal a shit ton of damage to Ferrothorn.

Mew

252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lando-T

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 260-307 (68 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn

252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 239-283 (67.8 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Slowbro

252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 221-260 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Like Greninja, I can see it having the 4 move syndrome as well. If you don't run Wild Charge, Skarmory hopelessly walls you. No Knock Off will let Slowbros + Mews wall you etc. However, I can see a Swords Dance set being popular. Will these new moves change Diggersby's rank?

Other changes that may or may not be as good (In other words, I'm not writing them unless if someone wants me to)

Hawlucha (Flying = C Rank, Fighting A Rank): Elemental Punches, Drain Punch

Aurorus (Rock = C Rank, Ice = Unranked): Hyper Voice, Earth Power

Slurpuff (Fairy = C Rank): Drain Punch (!!!!!!!!!!)

Diance (Fairy = B Rank, Rock = Unranked ~C Rank): Heal Bell, Earth Power
Note: Rock as no Heal Beller until now

Volcanion (Fire / Water, Water Absorb, Unrealeased), Superpower, Earth Power

Shiftry (Unranked for both, ~C Rank for Grass): Hurricane (Fuck bugs), Leaf Blade

Flygon (Ground = Unranked, Dragon = C Rank): Boomburst (I guess this is Gamefreak's way of saying sorry but not sorry, trololol)

Everything gets Magic Coat now, so status only sets may or may not be as viable now. Suicide leads w/ Stealth Rock may go down in ranks as well.

So anything important? Dicuss my friends :)
I guess I should answer my own questions. Feel free to use this as a template. You don't need to write as much as me, I'm just bored.

Greninja:

How will ORAS affect Greninja viability wise?

I feel like it's going to be an even bigger threat than it was before. Dark Monotypes are obviously going to run Gunk Shot for Fairies, and paired with Bisharp, they can 1-2HKO every Fairy mon since Bisharp deals with the slower ones while Greninja beats the faster ones. As for Water, Gunk Shot lets Greninja hit Grass Types. Unfortuntely, Extrasensory and Ice Beam do a better job with this while maintaining good overall coverage. Dark will definitely benefit more than Water with these new moves.

How does Greninja / their respective type deal with the new megas?

Dark types have access to Mandibuzz who can single handedly wall a majority of physical megas with Roost and Foul Play. Taunt stops slower set up mons like Sableye, Slowbro and Audino before they get unstoppable. Unfortunately, Greninja has a bad matchup vs these new megas (speed, priority etc), but once they're gone, Greninja can dominate whatever's left. (Greninja outspeeds Mega Diancie which is nice)

As for Water, Greninja will have a much harder time trying to get free switches. Once again, Greninja has a hard team with these megas in 1v1 situations, but Water has access to Mega Slowbro who can wall everything while hitting hard. I can see Mega Sceptile being a problem, so Sap Sipper Azumarill may become popular again. Greninja has the support to beat the new megas, and it'll clean up nicely afterwards.

Mega Gyarados:

How will ORAS affect Mega Gyarados viability wise?

I feel like it might push it up to S rank for Flying teams. It still resists Ice, and it has a nice STAB to deal with the evergrowing Psychic Monotypes. The same goes for Water, but Crunch doesn't benefit it as much. So possibly S rank for Flying teams and A rank for Water?

How does Gyarados / their respective type deal with the new megas?

It can set up on a lot of the new megas by playing Mega Evolution mindgames with the opponent. One example would be Gallade. Close Combat hits normal Gyara NE, but mega Gyara SE, while Psycho Cut does nothing to Mega. Once at +1, it pretty much sweep if given the right coverage move. However, some stuff like Audino, and Sableye may live and hit back with a Dazzling Gleam / Will-o-Wisp respectively. The good thing is that Water / Flying can somewhat deal with these two before they set up. Status moves cripple Audino while subbing on a Mega Sableye will protect you from burns. Strong special attackers like Thundurus can take the burn then retaliate with a Thunderbolt / Taunt. Water can spam Azumarill and Keldeo.

Diggersby:

How will ORAS affect Diggersby viability wise?

I feel like Sticky Web teams will go up in usage so people can abuse Diggersby better. I feel like it'd stay the same in Normal (Unless Offensive Normal's going to be the new trend), but it'd move up in Ground since the Swords Dance set can kill stuff like Skarmory and Mew.

How does Diggersby / their respective type deal with the new megas?

Chansey / Porygon2 / Bulkyraptor still walls everything... In fact, lets throw a Ditto in there so things can't even set up w/o being killed right after :) Sticky Web cripples a majority of Megas as well.
Ground's going to have a harder time since it lacks a lot of Recovery. Mamoswine's going to be important since Ice Shard kills Mence / Sceptile and can revenge kill a majority of them at low health. Gastrodon can not wall Mega Sharpedo w/o a ton of Defense investment so that's going to be a big threat. It even has ok defenses now... Another big threat would be Mega Slowbro since nothing likes Scalds, and it's stupidly bulky.

Other Stuff:

Hawlucha will most likely move up in Flying since it has a lot more coverage now. Sitrus / Red Cards sets are probs going to rise up in usage since people want to use the Sky Attack slot for something else.

Aurorus will have something for Heatran (Earth Power), but that's not really imporant. Ice STAB + Rocks will apply a lot of pressure against most Defoggers so you can keep rocks up if used right.

Slurpuff might go back up to B because Game Freak has acknowledged Arifeen's nub decision of moving it down to C. Once Skarmory / Scizor's gone, +6 Drain Punch can sweep Steel teams while getting all of your lost health back.

Diancie can have 2 roles: A bulky Heal Beller / Supporter, or a fast sweeper. I feel like the Sweeper's going to be more popular but who knows?

Volc will screw over Water monos, and with those 2 new moves, it's pretty much anti-heatran.

Shiftry's still just as bad, and a 70 acc move w/ no STAB won't help it.

Flygon may become a specs user now? Ehh, Gamefreak why ._.

Magic Coat's a troll. Lets run it on Mega Mence because who needs Refresh when you can bounce it back :]

I write too much ;;

Last edited:
I guess I should answer my own questions. Feel free to use this as a template. You don't need to write as much as me, I'm just bored.

Greninja:

How will ORAS affect Greninja viability wise?

I feel like it's going to be an even bigger threat than it was before. Dark Monotypes are obviously going to run Gunk Shot for Fairies, and paired with Bisharp, they can 1-2HKO every Fairy mon since Bisharp deals with the slower ones while Greninja beats the faster ones. As for Water, Gunk Shot lets Greninja hit Grass Types. Unfortuntely, Extrasensory and Ice Beam do a better job with this while maintaining good overall coverage. Dark will definitely benefit more than Water with these new moves.

How does Greninja / their respective type deal with the new megas?

Dark types have access to Mandibuzz who can single handedly wall a majority of physical megas with Roost and Foul Play. Taunt stops slower set up mons like Sableye, Slowbro and Audino before they get unstoppable. Unfortunately, Greninja has a bad matchup vs these new megas (speed, priority etc), but once they're gone, Greninja can dominate whatever's left. (Greninja outspeeds Mega Diancie which is nice)

As for Water, Greninja will have a much harder time trying to get free switches. Once again, Greninja has a hard team with these megas in 1v1 situations, but Water has access to Mega Slowbro who can wall everything while hitting hard. I can see Mega Sceptile being a problem, so Sap Sipper Azumarill may become popular again. Greninja has the support to beat the new megas, and it'll clean up nicely afterwards.

Mega Gyarados:

How will ORAS affect Mega Gyarados viability wise?

I feel like it might push it up to S rank for Flying teams. It still resists Ice, and it has a nice STAB to deal with the evergrowing Psychic Monotypes. The same goes for Water, but Crunch doesn't benefit it as much. So possibly S rank for Flying teams and A rank for Water?

How does Gyarados / their respective type deal with the new megas?

It can set up on a lot of the new megas by playing Mega Evolution mindgames with the opponent. One example would be Gallade. Close Combat hits normal Gyara NE, but mega Gyara SE, while Psycho Cut does nothing to Mega. Once at +1, it pretty much sweep if given the right coverage move. However, some stuff like Audino, and Sableye may live and hit back with a Dazzling Gleam / Will-o-Wisp respectively. The good thing is that Water / Flying can somewhat deal with these two before they set up. Status moves cripple Audino while subbing on a Mega Sableye will protect you from burns. Strong special attackers like Thundurus can take the burn then retaliate with a Thunderbolt / Taunt. Water can spam Azumarill and Keldeo.

Diggersby:

How will ORAS affect Diggersby viability wise?

I feel like Sticky Web teams will go up in usage so people can abuse Diggersby better. I feel like it'd stay the same in Normal (Unless Offensive Normal's going to be the new trend), but it'd move up in Ground since the Swords Dance set can kill stuff like Skarmory and Mew.

How does Diggersby / their respective type deal with the new megas?

Chansey / Porygon2 / Bulkyraptor still walls everything... In fact, lets throw a Ditto in there so things can't even set up w/o being killed right after :) Sticky Web cripples a majority of Megas as well.
Ground's going to have a harder time since it lacks a lot of Recovery. Mamoswine's going to be important since Ice Shard kills Mence / Sceptile and can revenge kill a majority of them at low health. Gastrodon can not wall Mega Sharpedo w/o a ton of Defense investment so that's going to be a big threat. It even has ok defenses now... Another big threat would be Mega Slowbro since nothing likes Scalds, and it's stupidly bulky.

Other Stuff:

Hawlucha will most likely move up in Flying since it has a lot more coverage now. Sitrus / Red Cards sets are probs going to rise up in usage since people want to use the Sky Attack slot for something else.

Aurorus will have something for Heatran (Earth Power), but that's not really imporant. Ice STAB + Rocks will apply a lot of pressure against most Defoggers so you can keep rocks up if used right.

Slurpuff might go back up to B because Game Freak has acknowledged Arifeen's nub decision of moving it down to C. Once Skarmory / Scizor's gone, +6 Drain Punch can sweep Steel teams while getting all of your lost health back.

Diancie can have 2 roles: A bulky Heal Beller / Supporter, or a fast sweeper. I feel like the Sweeper's going to be more popular but who knows?

Volc will screw over Water monos, and with those 2 new moves, it's pretty much anti-heatran.

Shiftry's still just as bad, and a 70 acc move w/ no STAB won't help it.

Flygon may become a specs user now? Ehh, Gamefreak why ._.

Magic Coat's a troll. Lets run it on Mega Mence because who needs Refresh when you can bounce it back :]

I write too much ;;
Idk, Diggers had the capability to do that to mew and skarm already (via return and Wild charge) so I don't think its really gonna be much impact if any for Ground. It never could find a spot on most cause yah it hit hard physically, but that's not something ground is really hurting for. Its frailty and speed stat also make it not as reliable at breaking said walls as say Mega Gar or Lando for most teams (or f your like me, just Yeah!!! em). I mean, its bout the same spot it was before.

EDIT: Its also worth mentioning that at the least Shiftry had gotten leaf blade through level up moves.

Idk, Diggers had the capability to do that to mew and skarm already (via return and Wild charge) so I don't think its really gonna be much impact if any for Ground. It never could find a spot on most cause yah it hit hard physically, but that's not something ground is really hurting for. Its frailty and speed stat also make it not as reliable at breaking said walls as say Mega Gar or Lando for most teams (or f your like me, just Yeah!!! em). I mean, its bout the same spot it was before.

EDIT: Its also worth mentioning that at the least Shiftry had gotten leaf blade through level up moves.
That's true, the biggest downer is that Ground lacks Sticky Web unlike Normal, and I can see why Diggers would stay in B rank for Ground.

Fixed, thanks for pointing it out :)

That's true, the biggest downer is that Ground lacks Sticky Web unlike Normal, and I can see why Diggers would stay in B rank for Ground.

Fixed, thanks for pointing it out :)
Tis fine. Gren imo is just gonna be a bit more of a bitch as if you take the spread most use in ORAS OU orf 44 Atk / 212 Sp Atk / 252 Speed then it can OHKO Clefable and the usual Azumarill. Idk if it will be enough to push it out of regular OU but it could be much worse for some types as stated earlier in conversation that it can now potential steamroll some more types given the proper adjustment (I mean, 4mss is both a blessing and curse. I don't want to switch something in knowing it might just get fucked...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)