Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah i battled you. Spooky!!!
Small world. I'll say this much. The only reason I won is because Little Mac has terrible recovery. 1st life I lost, you were only at 40-ish percent in damage. Otherwise, you pretty much beat me. Little Mac is quite possibly the worst matchup for Lucario, which is part of the reason Shulk is my 2nd main since I can use the Jump and Speed arts to get a decent matchup vs. Little Mac.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yes, that is me. I was playing on the Wii U Pro controller for the first time, and well...it didn't turn out well at all.

Yes, that is me. I was playing on the Wii U Pro controller for the first time, and well...it didn't turn out well at all.
omg, you played with the Wii U Pro Controller? Damn.
I have heard that playing with a 3DS doesn't make input lag show up. I'm sure this doesn't happen with the Pro Controller either.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
omg, you played with the Wii U Pro Controller? Damn.
I have heard that playing with a 3DS doesn't make input lag show up. I'm sure this doesn't happen with the Pro Controller either.
I didn't feel any sort of lag at all when using the controller. The issue with it though is the button placement is a bit different, and it made timing certain maneuvers super tricky.

And once he gets in the air, the opponent is at a major advantage because Little Mac can only effectively do 1 of 3 things: air dodge, Slip Counter, Jolt Haymaker. Newer Little Mac players rely on one of these far too much, thus making it easy to predict and punish.
I think you're forgetting the marvelous N-AIR CHAIN GIMPS

edit: oh my god i didn't even see the last page when I posted; good show even if you weren't playing your best quote!! do you think divekick is actually a good custom? seemed to deal a lot less damage than the default

also, was custom equipment allowed? looks like mario was basically able to do the same combos as normal so i'm gonna guess not?

Last edited:

Camden

Hey, it's me!
I think you're forgetting the marvelous N-AIR CHAIN GIMPS

edit: oh my god i didn't even see the last page when I posted; good show even if you weren't playing your best quote!! do you think divekick is actually a good custom? seemed to deal a lot less damage than the default

also, was custom equipment allowed? looks like mario was basically able to do the same combos as normal so i'm gonna guess not?
Wizard Divekick is amazing. It allows Ganon to have another aerial approach option. Also, it's a great recovery option. Combine it with Dark Vault and Ganon has a great recovery overall.

Also, while our scene allows custom moves, equipment is banned. Equipment is too assorted in its effects and just feels uncompetitive. For example, if you combine the right equipment together, Lucario can reliably kill with F-smash at 0. That's not good at all.

Mario is such a tough match up for Little Mac imo. Cape and water cannon combined with constant grabbing makes it impossible to get back to stage if they're really good. Maybe mac's counter works against cape but i haven't tested

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The most amazing thing just happened to me against Mario, while playing Sheik (my main).

He was a pretty good player, and threw me off stage and caught me with his fair (the one that kinda instantly spikes you and makes you die).. I thought I was 100% dead, but because the stage was.. block-shaped (as in it wasn't a floating stage like FD or Battlefield, it had walls), I managed to cling to a wall, jump, double jump, and recover back to the ledge. At this time Mario was taunting.. I managed to KO him afterwards lol. It was an amazing moment. Too bad I forgot to save it. Sheik was literally probably a few inches away from the KO line.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The most amazing thing just happened to me against Mario, while playing Sheik (my main).

He was a pretty good player, and threw me off stage and caught me with his fair (the one that kinda instantly spikes you and makes you die).. I thought I was 100% dead, but because the stage was.. block-shaped (as in it wasn't a floating stage like FD or Battlefield, it had walls), I managed to cling to a wall, jump, double jump, and recover back to the ledge. At this time Mario was taunting.. I managed to KO him afterwards lol. It was an amazing moment. Too bad I forgot to save it. Sheik was literally probably a few inches away from the KO line.
Yeah, I've had this happen when I use Lucario as well. It's really one of the cool things I like about Lucario that not many people talk about. Since his recovery range is crazy good, spiking is one of the ways opponents try to quick KO me. The wall cling has saved me on more than one occasion.

Minwu, I'm fully aware if the nair gimps for Little Mac. Could have sworn I mentioned that, but I guess I didn't :o

EonX I was being facetious anyways, so don't sweat it. :p

Lucario's recovery is so unpredictable and you can recover high really safely and quickly; people aren't abusing his wide range of options enough!

I didn't feel any sort of lag at all when using the controller. The issue with it though is the button placement is a bit different, and it made timing certain maneuvers super tricky.
I see lol. That's nice. I suppose people got used to the 3DS controls, and that is why some players are going to use it. The Wii U Pro Controller could work too.
And... http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2mehoo/rosalina_nerf_3ds_104wii_u_luma_can_no_longer/
Luma can no longer attack while Rosalina is being grabbed. Yes, that.
Ver. 1.0.4 (3DS) and Wii U version fixes said:
Wario blast-off is out.
Item canceling is out.
Peach's aerials now stale.
Turnip Canceling is out.
Greninja side-B aerial lag cancel is out.
Robin Thunder Triple jump is out.
Rush canceling is still IN.
Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/update-1-0-4-releasing-this-month.377281/page-7#post-17963055

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
NightSoul that post says "List of **** I've (we've, Nova Scotia players) confirmed is not in the Wii U version (which presumably is already on 1.04):" so its a bit confusing. are those things present in the game or not?

Camden

Hey, it's me!
NightSoul that post says "List of **** I've (we've, Nova Scotia players) confirmed is not in the Wii U version (which presumably is already on 1.04):" so its a bit confusing. are those things present in the game or not?
They're out. We (Nova Scotian players) tested last week and discovered this shit.

EonX

Battle Soul
I see lol. That's nice. I suppose people got used to the 3DS controls, and that is why some players are going to use it. The Wii U Pro Controller could work too.
And... http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2mehoo/rosalina_nerf_3ds_104wii_u_luma_can_no_longer/
Luma can no longer attack while Rosalina is being grabbed. Yes, that.
This will make Rosalina a little more managable I guess. She's still kinda fucked up since it's an essential 2v1 fight against her. They just need to take Luma Shot out of her arsenal tbh. That's really the kicker that makes her break the game imo. It would be fine if it was just her and Luma always together. But it's not. Any good Rosalina player will keep Luma and Rosalina apart (to a certain extent) to cover more of the stage and make it harder to approach.

That's really the kicker that makes her break the game imo. It would be fine if it was just her and Luma always together. But it's not. Any good Rosalina player will keep Luma and Rosalina apart (to a certain extent) to cover more of the stage and make it harder to approach.
So what you're saying is, Rosalina would be more manageable if they took away the entire point of her gimmick?

Anyway, I personally prefer when they are apart, when they're together Luma gets in the way of my attacks.

EonX

Battle Soul
So what you're saying is, Rosalina would be more manageable if they took away the entire point of her gimmick?

Anyway, I personally prefer when they are apart, when they're together Luma gets in the way of my attacks.
Not really. Make her more like Ice Climbers in respect to her pros and cons. As it is, she can battle on her own even if you manage to get past / KO Luma, whereas Ice Climbers really struggled if you KOed the AI one. Not only that, but the AI Ice Climber wouldn't respawn until the one you're controlling was KOed, whereas Luma comes back in 10 (well, 13 with the new patch) seconds. I just don't feel there's enough cons to come close to balancing out Rosalina's pros in the game. But maybe that's just me.

As someone who has played Smash on a competitive level, I really find Smash 4 to be very boring. Matches end up be very long, taking a long time to close out stocks, and there being no real movement options except for the basics. It is, however, quite a bit faster than Brawl, which is nice.

EonX

Battle Soul
As someone who has played Smash on a competitive level, I really find Smash 4 to be very boring. Matches end up be very long, taking a long time to close out stocks, and there being no real movement options except for the basics. It is, however, quite a bit faster than Brawl, which is nice.
Yeah, I went back and played Brawl earlier today to prepare for a local tournament I"m competing in next weekend, and the pace of Smash 4 is much faster. That said, I feel you don't have as restricted movement in Brawl as you do in Smash 4. For example, it's much easier to use an air dodge + roll dodge to get back in a decent position in Brawl than it is in Smash 4. Overall, I feel like they tried to take the pace of Melee but restrict the movement a bit to prevent all the wavedashes / shines that Melee is (in)famous for, but maybe overdid it a fair bit.

Yeah, I went back and played Brawl earlier today to prepare for a local tournament I"m competing in next weekend, and the pace of Smash 4 is much faster. That said, I feel you don't have as restricted movement in Brawl as you do in Smash 4. For example, it's much easier to use an air dodge + roll dodge to get back in a decent position in Brawl than it is in Smash 4. Overall, I feel like they tried to take the pace of Melee but restrict the movement a bit to prevent all the wavedashes / shines that Melee is (in)famous for, but maybe overdid it a fair bit.
I mean, in Melee with all the wavedashes and stuff there are a lot more ways to move around. Combos are faster, and to be honest a lot cooler in Melee and PM

I'm sure more movement options will open up on the Wii-U version with better controls.

I ran across someone online using a GC mod playing fox and they were doing melee style dash dancing. I'm sure the 3ds controls are vastly limiting things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)