Pokémon Salamence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think that Mega-Salamence is the worlds greatest mega but it is defineatly good! The problems with this mega are getting bodied by too many of the other megas. Mega-Altaria is definealty an issue because of typing and defense stat. Mega Sharpedo is a problem because if normal sharpedo gets enogh speed boosts off then mega evolves, it can OHKO with an ice fang. Other that that I dont see anything wrong with this mega!

How would a double bird core consisting of DdMence and CB Staraptor fare?
Hmm... well on paper it's really similar to classic XY double bird Pinsir and Talonflame. But while both of those had priority your core has neither. DbMence might work with Talonflame though. What's the purpose/role of CB Staraptor?

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
How would a double bird core consisting of DdMence and CB Staraptor fare?
Every core with a mega mence in it is awesome lol. Speaking seriously this is just an extension of the already existing birdspam, gamefreak felt that it wasn't strong enough so added to it a fucking monster

I dont think that Mega-Salamence is the worlds greatest mega but it is defineatly good! The problems with this mega are getting bodied by too many of the other megas. Mega-Altaria is definealty an issue because of typing and defense stat. Mega Sharpedo is a problem because if normal sharpedo gets enogh speed boosts off then mega evolves, it can OHKO with an ice fang. Other that that I dont see anything wrong with this mega!
Lol, except maybe the fact it shits on both of those after it's set up. Especially Sharpedo, it HAS to protect the turn it comes in, so, a competent player would simply DD that turn, outspeed, and continue to bend your team over.

The thing that's wrong with it is honestly. . . that it's broken beyond belief.

silver97

Mega altaria and mega sharpedo definitely are not threat ti mega mence, or at least they are not that Much of an issue. Mega altaria struggles to switch in on mega mence moves and if it has the bulk to do it, it will probably lack offensive power to KO back. Mega sharpedo won't be very used in OU, it is a sort of one-time-sweeper and there are Many pokemon that do or more effectively (hawlucha). Personally i don't see Antonio other mega that is not beated by mence. Yes it is the world's greatest mega, at least in OU

Hmm... well on paper it's really similar to classic XY double bird Pinsir and Talonflame. But while both of those had priority your core has neither. DbMence might work with Talonflame though. What's the purpose/role of CB Staraptor?
CB Staraptor functions more as an early game kamikaze/wall breaker to soften up targets for Salamence later on

This mon is amazing, there are so many moves combinations that can get past through any wana'be wall...

Some of the sets i've run into are:
- Running a physical/mix set with Facade to bait will-o-wisp
- Bulky mono attacker that forces to go all offensive or carry 2 checks
- DD + 3 attacks (not very original but certainly effective)

I tried to run a Bird spam team with a Magnezone+M Mence+Talonflame core to let Talon clean late game but M Mence almost always ends up sweeping on its own.

My set:
Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Frustration
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Stone Edge allows me to hit Thundurus and accelerates Rotom-W K.O. (Zapdos aswell, if it happens to appear). Since I'm running Magnezon I don´t really have to worry about metal types:

* 252 Atk Salamence Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 316-372 (105.6 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

* 252 Atk Salamence Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 206-244 (53.6 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

* 252 Atk Salamence Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 85-100 (27.9 - 32.8%) -- 84.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
* 4 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 154-183 (50.6 - 60.1%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Is Aerial Ace Mega Salamence viable? I've been testing it out and it lets you use your Flying STAB even if you don't mega evolve so you can keep intimidate or moxie.

Is Aerial Ace Mega Salamence viable? I've been testing it out and it lets you use your Flying STAB even if you don't mega evolve so you can keep intimidate or moxie.
Thing is, with how outclassed Mence is in base form, there's no reason not to Mega evolve immediately for the bulk and speed.

Moxie isn't worth it when you can feasibly set up multiple DD's as a Mega, and Intimidate isn't a big enough boon when the Mega's defenses almost replicate that boost anyway.

This mon is amazing, there are so many moves combinations that can get past through any wana'be wall...

Some of the sets i've run into are:
- Running a physical/mix set with Facade to bait will-o-wisp
- Bulky mono attacker that forces to go all offensive or carry 2 checks
- DD + 3 attacks (not very original but certainly effective)

I tried to run a Bird spam team with a Magnezone+M Mence+Talonflame core to let Talon clean late game but M Mence almost always ends up sweeping on its own.

My set:
Salamence @ Salamencite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Frustration
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Stone Edge allows me to hit Thundurus and accelerates Rotom-W K.O. (Zapdos aswell, if it happens to appear). Since I'm running Magnezon I don´t really have to worry about metal types:

* 252 Atk Salamence Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 316-372 (105.6 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

* 252 Atk Salamence Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 206-244 (53.6 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

* 252 Atk Salamence Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 85-100 (27.9 - 32.8%) -- 84.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
* 4 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 154-183 (50.6 - 60.1%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
That is what I've been toying with. Magnezone/Gothitelle to trap, then DDMegaMence (setup sweeper)+Talonflame (Revenge killer/Wall breaker)

The core is rather formidable as While Magnezone is better for momentum, Gothitelle traps a wider variety of targets.

silver97

That is what I've been toying with. Magnezone/Gothitelle to trap, then DDMegaMence (setup sweeper)+Talonflame (Revenge killer/Wall breaker)

The core is rather formidable as While Magnezone is better for momentum, Gothitelle traps a wider variety of targets.
I feel that stone edge is quite unnecessary because thundurus has a chance of being KOed by d meteor after rocks and zapdos is 2HKOed by a combination of rocks, frustration and dmeteor, so i'd suggest to replace it with fire blast to hit skarm and ferro harder. Oh and talonflame is not a wallbreaker O.o

I feel that stone edge is quite unnecessary because thundurus has a chance of being KOed by d meteor after rocks and zapdos is 2HKOed by a combination of rocks, frustration and dmeteor, so i'd suggest to replace it with fire blast to hit skarm and ferro harder. Oh and talonflame is not a wallbreaker O.o
Stone Edge hits common Birdspam checks while Ferro and Skarm are taken care by Magnezone. If you are using Magnezone, carrying FB on your Salamence is redundant imo and you would do better on using DD or even Hydro pump.

Edit: besides, with such a good movepool, if you can break walls with another teamate you can afford to use a niche move and get past through wathever it's left.

silver97

Stone Edge hits common Birdspam checks while Ferro and Skarm are taken care by Magnezone. If you are using Magnezone, carrying FB on your Salamence is redundant imo and you would do better on using DD or even Hydro pump.
Yeah sure, but it's not that every team with mega mence must run also magnezone and skarm and ferro can have shed shell

I've been having more success with a more offensive oriented mence for some reason.
Maybe it's because everyone and their friends and dogs are prep'ing for the (in)famous subDD mega mence and/or because there are way too many mences and it's solely due to speed ties. I don;t know. But, at this point, offensive mixed DD, for instance, has been serving me well.

(well...what mega mence doesn't serve anyone well though?)

I've been lurking around but can't seem to get a consensus on Sharp Beak/CB Talonflame vs CB reckless Staraptor

I've been having more success with a more offensive oriented mence for some reason.
Maybe it's because everyone and their friends and dogs are prep'ing for the (in)famous subDD mega mence and/or because there are way too many mences and it's solely due to speed ties. I don;t know. But, at this point, offensive mixed DD, for instance, has been serving me well.

(well...what mega mence doesn't serve anyone well though?)
As you said, with subDD being the most dominant mega mence set, everyone is over preparing for the beast.
It still wrecks faces but it's not as easy with everyone freaking out about it and carrying an entire team of mega mence checks (sort of).
Offensive dd has always been on par with it imho.

Has anyone thought of Cress as a check/counter?
Cresselia as check/counter seems a bit difficult due to dragon dance, which he can use it to setup in most of times and makes cresselia a lot more vulnerable to his powerful Frustration. Moreover for cresselia is difficult to damage seriously mega salamence with that defenses , and can avoid status moves with substitute. I would have thought someone like Rhyperior which can resist pretty well to his moves.

except cress gets ice beam, and can tank mence's moves forcing it to set up and take at least one ice beam with a second one coming.

silver97

Yes cress can be a good answer because of ice beam and possibly twave, the problem here is that cresselia is kinda difficult to fit in a team, you can't just slap it everywhere

I'm not sure if anyone's tried running this set with mence.
Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Speed IV's and Nature are to outspeed base 100's with positive nature. 252 EVs in HP to make it hella bulky and the rest dumped into attack. DDance and Return are obvious moves and rest talk wraps refresh and roost into one set. Now that I think about it would running refresh and roost over rest and sleep talk be more effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)