2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like Colback, i think he's a reasonable footballer, even if he is ginger. Does a pretty good job in central midfield

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
England started well and dominated possession throughout the first half but struggled to finish their chances. They were quite casual in the early stages of the second half but that own goal was a real wake up call and they finally got their act together. Milner probably should've started instead of Henderson.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Lol just as predicted. Boring game, only 4 shots on goal, tons of possession but no real danger against a poor Belarus side. However a 3-0 win (nailed it) looks convincing. Match review: Isco is brilliant and Spain played tons of useless backward passes. Can't help but wonder what will happen if we play like this against Ukraine or Slovakia again.

Also watched Switzerland-Lithuania simultaneously, and while the 1st half was boring, Switzerland's second half was excellent. Drmic and Shaqiri have great understanding, and Shaqiri's performance was simply amazing. Really reminded of Ronaldinho at some points, and both of his goals were brilliant. I hope he leaves Bayern because his career is stagnating there and he has the quality to be on the main lineup of any team in the world.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
germany finally stepping up where everyone one else was being bitches. i hope uefa quits fifa, regardless, sad thing is this may just be a power move to get new people in power at fifa (and new world cup locations) once the report reveals the awful truth about the corruption and bribery involved. There may not be much behind the threat, but fifa is a terrible organization, uefa is probably terrible too but at least some entity is finally doing some shit

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sepp Blatter is Human Trash lol.

It is not physically possible to play football in Qatar during the summers lol. And they keep skirting around it with some vague prototype "cooling innovations" or a Winter World Cup which will pretty much screw up the entire calender season cycles.

I'm digging the new Dutch forward line up, and it looks to be paying off quite handsomely. Now let's see how it carrys outside of the Arena.

We in the Gulf have this cup thing where neighboring countries play each other, and after a disappointing start against Qatar we (edit: Saudi Arabia) are doing great against Bahrain while Yemen strangely held Qatar to a tie on the second day.

Last edited:
But Qatar are so good with all the world class players they produce.
Sepp Blatter is Human Trash lol.

It is not physically possible to play football in Qatar during the summers lol. And they keep skirting around it with some vague prototype "cooling innovations" or a Winter World Cup which will pretty much screw up the entire calender season cycles.
But Qatar are so good with all the world class players they produce...lol. Anyway, after 2002, Blatter thought he could just host World Cups in any country regardless of footballing culture. But 2010 showed that it doesn't work, because the success of the host nation is largely important to a major tournament. Qatar 2022 will be even worse since Qatar will probably get rekt in the group stage; most of the Qataris will lose interest in the tournament and will struggle to fill up the stadiums. They hosted the AFC Asian cup in 2011, and the stadiums were massively empty except for games involving Qatar, but even then the stadiums were still hardly filled up. I know AFC Asian Cup is not even close to as popular as the World Cup, but still...

Where's everyone thinking Manchester United could reach on the table by the end?

As a born and raised United fan I know with the form that we've been on this year and last year its highly unlikely that we reach top 3.

I can see Manchester United hopefully 4th or 5th, and that's with a push of better performance hopefully in the near future.
Where's everyone thinking Manchester United could reach on the table by the end?

As a born and raised United fan I know with the form that we've been on this year and last year its highly unlikely that we reach top 3.

I can see Manchester United hopefully 4th or 5th, and that's with a push of better performance hopefully in the near future.
United has what it takes to get into the top 4 positions or at the very least get Europa League. But even so, I don't think their recent injury and defense troubles is really helping them and they face Arsenal this coming week.

Arsenal vs United is gonna be a great game. First time in a while that i have no clue which team's got the best chance of winning

Arsenal vs United is gonna be a great game. First time in a while that i have no clue which team's got the best chance of winning
It's basically gonna be "Let's watch and see if Alexis Sanchez can carry Arsenal or if Manchester United's stacked offensive will actually accomplish something against Arsenal's injury riddled team". It will be a great and interesting game, but man, this can really throw the table into an interesting loop depending on who comes out victorious (or if neither emerge victorious and end up drawing).

It's basically gonna be "Let's watch and see if Alexis Sanchez can carry Arsenal or if Manchester United's stacked offensive will actually accomplish something against Arsenal's injury riddled team". It will be a great and interesting game, but man, this can really throw the table into an interesting loop depending on who comes out victorious (or if neither emerge victorious and end up drawing).
Well Arsenal will finish no higher than 4th regardless, so if Arsenal win then it puts Man Utd. in a larger hole. If Man Utd. win they can get momentum to get in the top 4 while Arsenal fall

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
if arsenal is finishing 4th who is finishing 3rd? there is no reason to think arsenal cannot finish 3rd at this point in the season, in fact, almost everything atm indicates that 3rd is precisely where they will end up. so yah united could finish 3rd, but i really don't see anything against arsenal finishing 4th even with all the injuries, at this point in the season, since only city and chelsea have more points amongst the teams that are supposed to have the best chance of finishing in the top 4.

I'm going to stick with my prediction that Southampton will finish 3rd. Arsenal 4th, United 5th, Liverpool 6th

Well I mean I'm sure we've seen before that Arsenal in the first half of the season look pretty good (like last season) or above Average, but still finish 4th. While of course it's possible they get 3rd, indications don't mean much here.

I'm going to stick with my prediction that Southampton will finish 3rd. Arsenal 4th, United 5th, Liverpool 6th
We honestly still have a long ways to go before the end of the season, so I don't really know if we can place all the teams where they are at (except Chelsea, they are probably gonna stay at 1st unless something really bad happens late-season).

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
We'll see where Southampton really stands after the string of hard matches they will play now vs city/chelsea/utd etc. Kind of a vague thing to say but considering they lost to spurs and pool it will be interesting to see if they can beat the rivals for top4.

If they get good results they can pretty much wrap up a CL spot right now though.

Southampton might make it into 6th but no more. I reckon top 8 probably. They have a very tough run coming up shortly and they have a small first team squad which will be tested in the second half of the season. All this talk of top 4 is very premature and what surprises me every year are the so called pundits and 'experts' that get paid a fat wage to jump on the bandwagon.

Last season was the same, Southampton were doing great around this time and then they dropped off dramatically when the tough matches came. Another example: Arsenal this time last year were 5 points clear and pundits were saying they're looking good for the title despite the fact we had played easy matches. Fast forward 2 months and the same pundits were saying Arsenal never had a chance. Football journalism is a joke. You don't see this sort of thing with F1 or even rugby.

The Utd match this weekend will be huge. If Utd lose then Van Gaal might come under serious pressure for the first time (and about time). But a Utd win would make it Wenger's worst start ever or something. Basically, Mourinho is watching and laughing and Wenger should have bought Cesc back and why is he so retarded and i don't even

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)