Other ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread - Check post #2359

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omastar B ---> B+
I really wanted to bring this up, with ORAS introducing mega swampert, rain have gotten another tool to play with. In XY most rainteams consisted of the two rain sweepers, kabutops and kingdra, but in ORAS Swampert is almost a stable on rain teams this generation, and this oobviouslymean we have to let go of a slot to fit it in. If we where to let kabutops go, we woI think Omastar is swamperts best partner on rain teams, as it can check talonflame, thanks to its typing and better defence (compared to kingdra) while also being a special attaker (comparing it to kabutops) which means it can still switch into will-oh-wisps from stuff such as mew and sableye, which gives swampert problems.

Omastar is a bit slower than kingdra, however its speed is just enough to outspeed the entire unboosted and almost the whole scarfed meta under the rain, with a timid nature it have just enough speed to outspeed scarfed lando-T. It also have slightly higher special attack than kingdra. I think that is enough positive threats to justify it moving up to the other rain sweepers.

Omastar B ---> B+
I really wanted to bring this up, with ORAS introducing mega swampert, rain have gotten another tool to play with. In XY most rainteams consisted of the two rain sweepers, kabutops and kingdra, but in ORAS Swampert is almost a stable on rain teams this generation, and this oobviouslymean we have to let go of a slot to fit it in. If we where to let kabutops go, we woI think Omastar is swamperts best partner on rain teams, as it can check talonflame, thanks to its typing and better defence (compared to kingdra) while also being a special attaker (comparing it to kabutops) which means it can still switch into will-oh-wisps from stuff such as mew and sableye, which gives swampert problems.

Omastar is a bit slower than kingdra, however its speed is just enough to outspeed the entire unboosted and almost the whole scarfed meta under the rain, with a timid nature it have just enough speed to outspeed scarfed lando-T. It also have slightly higher special attack than kingdra. I think that is enough positive threats to justify it moving up to the other rain sweepers.
I do agree with our Lord Helix moving up, but right now we're only discussing anything currently in A and A- ranks.

A ----> A-

We don't need this thing. Sure, it has a decent Attack and Choice Scarf usability, but what does it REALLY do anymore?
Rapid spin. They lose hazards, you keep hazards. Not saying it shouldn't drop, but last time I checked there were no other rapid spinners with OU usage. If you want to lay spikes you'd better bring this guy, or build a team around Tentacruel.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rapid spin. They lose hazards, you keep hazards. Not saying it shouldn't drop, but last time I checked there were no other rapid spinners with OU usage so if you want to lay spikes you'd better bring this guy, or build a team around Tentacruel.
Don't forget Starmie, who's actually really solid now.

Anyway I've definitely been convinced that thanks to Lopunny + Gallade, Terrakion, Heracross, and Medicham are significantly worse. Medicham was hit the worst, since it really is just a niche variation of Gallade. It isn't bad by any means, but what does it have over Gallade? I guess it 2hkos unaware clefable (gallade can too w/ poison jab...), but that's certainly not enough to keep it A. In my head, I see Medicham:Gallade::Pinsir:Salamence, so if Pinsir really does belong in B, Medicham does as well. Heracross was hit seemingly less hard, since neither Lop nor Gallade directly outclasses it. However, in this current metagame, why would I use a mon with 185 and 75 speed when I could use a mon with 165 attack and 110 Speed OR a mon with 136 attack and 135 Speed? Fighting/Rock/Bug Coverage isn't anything special, since stuff like Doublade 100% walls it. Lopunny doesn't have to worry about this, since with 2 moves it gets unresisted coverage. It is significantly weaker, but atm a) stall is based around Mega Sableye, something Lopunny easily kills, and b) offense is really popular, and Lopunny fairs much better against it thanks to outspeeding everything except Sceptile, Beedrill, Dactyl, and Zam. Then you throw SD Gallade into the mix, and reasons for using Hera further diminish. I'm feeling B+ for it, but I'm not sure, since I'd rather use most stuff over it. Terrakion still has Stealth Rock to boast, as well as the ability to a) hold items, and b) be used with a mega, so it was definitely hit the least hard. However, if you were using it for anything other than a SR Sash lead, it's basically a worse Lopunny/Gallade. This probably fits best in A-, but then again, Manaphy, Jirachi, and Politoed are all a lot better than it.

Mega Altaria for A+ - The typing and balanced stats simply let it perform whatever role you want it too and co it exceptionally well at the same time. Enough recovery, offensive and defensive options to be an unpredictable nightmare.

Mega Gyarados for A+ - Crunch was all it needed. Gyara was already one of the best anti-stall sweepers we had, but it just so happens that two of Stalls biggest and best assets (MegaBro and MegaEye) are maimed by this beast. In turn, Crunch is a phenomenal STAB to have against the Latis (Mega and non) who bar scarf Latios are screwed against a +1 Gyarados. It also handles Metagross too. Still has great bulk and typing offensively and defensively, able to get by much more with just his STABs alone opposed to STAB and a coverage move. Gyarados is threatened by so little the only thing holding it back is its relatively poor speed without a Dragon Dance.

Excadrill for A- - Sand is not very viable right now, and its Rapid Spin utility is hampered a bit from Mega Sableye and debatably outperformed by Starmie and Tentacruel now. Both of which are faster to boot and can afford to be invested defensively. I don't think it has the chops for solid A by itself.

Mega Heracross for B+ - The rise in offensive teams put Heracross in a tough spot. While it is still particularly great against Stall, even the new Megas, far too many new fast threats have come about to cause Heracross nightmares, and with SE STABs no less including Zen Headbutt Metagross, Zen Headbutt Gallade, Aerialate Salamence and Pixilate Altaria. It is kind of outperformed by Gardevoir as best Stallbreaker now and many set up sweeping megas can fill that role as well while not being weak to offense.

Mega Medicham for B- - Medicham was already worse than Heracross and Gardevoir as it stood in many regards of the three wallbreaking megas at the end of XY. But now it is just worse than ever and offers very literal if anything over the two or Mega Gallade. There's little reason it can realistically be rated the same or higher than Mega Pinsir.

Terrakion for A- - Like Keldeo, 108 speed tier is unfortunately not a great selling point anymore like before. It does have strong STABs however and double dance sets to handle bulky or offensive teams, or set up Stealth Rock. But it's performance is inarguable worsened from numerous ORAS megas.

Mega Lopunny for A - A rank is good for it to stay if you ask me. I think the biggest detriment is the lack of a boosting moves outside Power Up Punch. While it hits hard universally with its great STABs and has really good speed, simple Intimidate shenanigans from Landorus-T, Salamence, Gyarados and Mega Manectric tend to switch it out because if Lopunny doesn't get a kill it tends to die from being revenged. Solid A rank.

Slowbro and Mega Slowbro for A+ - Slowbro as a regular bulky pivot is still amazing and great for handling several new megas like both of Metagross' and Gallade's STAB attacks. With its great defensive typing and Regenerator is can switch in constantly to throw out Thunder Waves or Scalds and get out relatively unscathed. Only reason I think MegaBro is A+ and not S is because of competition from Sableye, who can't be phazed out with Roar/Whirlwind and a few other things.

Mega Venusaur for A- - I'm on the fence on this one. Venusaur's typing is such a mixed bag concerning all the new threats. It's great for Mega Sceptile, Mega Slowbro, Mega Swampert, Mega Diancie and Mega Altaria. It's poor against Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross, Mega Latias, Mega Sableye and Mega Gallade. It's good against the rise in Mega Manectric, but poor against the rise in Mega Aerodactyl. Crunch Mega Gyarados can break through easily. Less sand usage means that Synthesis is more viable at least. If Rain increases then Venusaur will perform admirably. Overall I think Mega Venusaur still provides a huge niche with its defensive typing but I think opportunity cost more than anything should have it drop down a peg to A-. Two of the best things is countered before, Azumarill and Clefable, are now declining thanks to Gunk Shot Geninja, and Stall now has Mega Sableye to use.

Mega Sableye for S - Sableye has the edge over Slowbro in terms of typing and ability. Both abilities actually, as Prankster is SO useful before Megavolving, almost guaranteeing a first WoW or Calm Mind. Sableye is simply threatened by SO little seen in common usage outside of immediate and ridiculously powerful choiced attacks. Its threatened by a few of the new megas like Salamence, Altaria and classics like Char X/Y and Gyarados, hell, even Mega Camerupt outspeeds it and can't be burned. But it is the quintessential Stall mon to use that doubles as a bulky sweeper and spin blocker.

Mega Tyranitar for B - Mega Tyranitar has fallen from grace. Biggest detriment is its mega competition and also having the WORST starting speed stat for a Dragon Dancer. It's actually outperformed by regular Tyranitar in all roles due to use of items (Leftovers, Assault Vest, Choice Scarf, Choice Band, even defensive berries) and can be used with other megas, hell, even Mega Steelix if you really wanted (lol Megatar/MegaSteelix "core")

Kyurem B for B - ORAS only brought Kyurem hardships. Several of the new fast megas carry STAB Fairy, Steel, Fighting or Dragon moves which, coupled with a SR weakness and potential Life Orb recoil Kyurem's 125/100/90 defenses are woefully misleading. It doesn't even get Ice Shard to check Sceptile or Salamence, or Icicle Crash to hit Altaria. One of the best sets it could run is Scarf and that's outperformed by Landorus-T with Intimidate and U-Turn. Let it's rank reflect its name, B tier.

Mega Aerodactyl for A - Possibly the most anti-meta pokemon in existence right now. Usurps all the speedcreep and mainstains the fastest OU speed tier at 150 outspeeding even Beedril, Gallade, Lopunny and Sceptile and threatening all with STAB Aerial Ace. EdgeQuake coverage is also great against old and new threats like CharX, Salamence, Metagross, Manectric, and revenging non-scarf Greninja, all while resiting both of Talonflame's STABs. Even Adamant Crunch is a guaranteed 2HKO against fully defensive Mega Latias after rocks! Its natural speed and 135 Atk + Tough Claws and movepool simply give it no peers in terms of a cleaner and revenge killer that can also give Stall fits with Taunt and Roost. It's relative lack of power and good boosting moves keep it from A+ for the moment, and it is still threatened out by Azumarill, Bisharp and Scizor's priority.

Mew for A- - Mew's role as a Stall breaker is made null and void by the very existence of Mega Sableye. Oblivious Mega Slowbro can also set up in its face taking little from Knock off and Resting away the burn. It's also set up bait for the speedier CM Mega Latias. Greninja can afford to run Dark Pulse more often thanks to Psychic overload in the meta. Mew just isn't as good as before.

Those are all the changes I can think of proposing regarding the current A/A- tier.

Last edited:
I think Terrakion does fit best in A-. It might seem worse than some of the other things in that range, but it's lead set is pretty effective in the ORAS meta. Close Combat+Stone Edge+SR+Taunt anti-leads TTar, outspeeds and Taunts lead Garchomp and breaks it's Sash, can hit Shuckle SE, and matches up decent enough against lead Azelf. A fast Taunt (fast in terms of leads and hazard setters at least), access to SR, and two very strong STABs is quite the solid package for a lead. It's also one of the few leads that can mantain offensive presence later in a match, which other leads like Azelf and Shuckle really can't do. Actually, B+ might be better for it. Borderline A-/B+.

This isn't really an argument that I'm bringing up, but I think that MegaZard X shouldn't be compared to Mega Mence. I'd say keep it S for a bit.

Mega Mence is more than likely gone once the game is released. With no Mence around, Zard is once again the best DDancer.

If Mence stays in then by all means, drop him. Mence is obviously the superior Pokemon.

Well Terrakion's problem is that it is really outperformed as a SR lead thanks to Oblivious Mamoswine. Mamoswine has a better match up against other SR leads like Garchomp, Landorus, Heatran and Terrakion with a sash. Ice Shard has become of increased value with Mega Salamence, Mega Sceptile and Landorus-T around, along with the rise in Thundurus-I usage, who Mamoswine outright counters thanks to being immune to Taunt AND Thunder Wave and hitting with Ice Shard.

Actually, now that I think about it, Mamoswine is devastating for those reasons and more could rise to A+, being exceptionally anti-meta come to think of it, as its STABs hit all the new Dragons as well as Metagross, Diancie and even the popular new Metagross/Hydreigon core. Terrakion should be A-/B+

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mega Sableye should be at least A, if not higher. While it loses Prankster, and consequently can not status opponents before they get the chance to attack, its ability, Magic Bounce, affords it the ability to set up on stall teams; additionally, it walls a great deal of offensive threats. I'm particularly thinking about the Wisp-CM set, which makes uses of Sableye-Mega's 50-125-115 defenses. Between burn and Calm Mind, Sableye-Mega's already strong defense become incredible. Additionally, after a few Calm Minds, it has a strong chance of sweeping. (I've seen entire teams destroyed by Mega-Sableye.) Frankly, if it weren't for its terrible Speed, I'd argue making Sableye-Mega S-rank. Nonetheless, this flaw is easily compensated for by Sableye-Mega's ability, bulk, and sweeping capabilities.

Definitely think Magnezone should go up to A or A+. So many new Megas appreciate having steels out of the way.

I think Ziggy Stardust Kyurem-B should be considered for A as well. The AV set is one of the few things that can deal with Greninja reasonably well if its not running Low Kick.

Rotom-W seems a lot better in ORAS, like it was in early XY, but it doesn't really seem to me to be on the same level as the other A+ ranked mons so its fine where its at.

I see no reason why Latias is A+ but M-Latias is only A, other than opportunity cost, but I don't think the fact that the standard stored power set loses to darks should stop it from being a higher rank.

Well Terrakion's problem is that it is really outperformed as a SR lead thanks to Oblivious Mamoswine. Mamoswine has a better match up against other SR leads like Garchomp, Landorus, Heatran and Terrakion with a sash. Ice Shard has become of increased value with Mega Salamence, Mega Sceptile and Landorus-T around, along with the rise in Thundurus-I usage, who Mamoswine outright counters thanks to being immune to Taunt AND Thunder Wave and hitting with Ice Shard.

Actually, now that I think about it, Mamoswine is devastating for those reasons and more could rise to A+, being exceptionally anti-meta come to think of it, as its STABs hit all the new Dragons as well as Metagross, Diancie and even the popular new Metagross/Hydreigon core. Terrakion should be A-/B+
Mamoswine doesn't have Taunt though which does come into play against stuff like Skarmory or Mew. If you want to keep rocks away at all costs then Terrakion is the optimal choice. Justified is another thing that comes into play with Knock Off being so common. So I wouldn't say that Terrakion is necessarily outclassed. But it's true that it's not as good as it could be with everybody using scarfed Landorus-T and what not.

As for Mega Sableye I do want to add something as I've used the set that people are using now before in XY so I'm very familiar with it. Basically CM, W-o-W, Recover and Dark Pulse. Once you use it you realize soon enough why it's by far the best set despite being walled by Fairies. Something a lot of people don't seem to take into account though is that you don't need to Mega Evolve straight away, and that you have Prankster on Calm Mind (nobody ever takes advantage of that for some reason). Pretty much you can stay in regular form and burn physical attackers, Calm Mind + Recover on special attackers, all thanks to Prankster. The only time you should Mega Evolve is when you need Magic Bounce for stuff like Toxic, Taunt or hazards. Prankster is by far Sableye's biggest asset, use it to setup first and Mega Evolve when you're ready to sweep. It's a very effective tactic but I've seen few people use Mega Sableye correctly strangely enough.

Finally I believe Jirachi deserves to be in A rank. Not only can it use multiple sets effectively (Scarf, SubToxic, Defensive) they all work really well in the current metagame. Scarf Jirachi is a great member on VoltTurn teams with its SR resistance and fast speed. But its main asset has to be Healing Wish. It's so good that nowadays it's even a win condition in many scenarios. You can weaken your opponents team at the cost of letting your sweeper get crippled (e.g. Mega Salamence/Slowbro), and then Healing Wish it up lategame to sweep their weakened team. Rachi also checks dangerous mons like Greninja (if weakened slightly), Mega Sceptile, Kyurem-B, CM Clefable and many others. It's just a really solid pick on many offensive teams which is like the main playstyle atm.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess I agree with Terrakion and MHera for A- since they just gained a bunch of new checks and are quite a bit worse vs offense now. However, I'm kinda on the fence about MHera since it does have one thing going for it in ORAS, and that's the fact that it's actually a bit better against Stall than it used to be (Gliscor isn't really used, at least I haven't seen it used, and Doubalde isn't anywhere near as common on Stall as it used to be, and though MAltaria exists it's not common on Stall either afaik), so although it's uncommon it can still put in a lot of work vs more defensive teams which are pretty dominant atm.

MTTar drop makes sense because it's just not very good lol. As a DD sweeper it just has a harder and harder time differentiating itself from its competitors, since it has a more difficult time both setting up and sweeping than them despite its bulk.

Support MGyara rise, only thing that really counts against it is the fact that it's walled by Chesnaught who is very good in this meta, otherwise it's a really good sweeper, and being one of the only physical attackers that can get past MSlowbro is always nice (can also set up all over post-mega MSableye with a Sub set and obviously walls MLatias, so yeah this thing can beat 3 of the 4 big Stall Megas atm which is pretty good for a sweeper)

I'm honestly not quite sure where the idea of dropping Excadrill came from... If anything it benefited from the introduction of faster Megas (who are otherwise massive problems for Offense), rise in usage of Thundurus, popularity of MMence (which Sand has great synergy with and can actually check, or teh offensive sets at least) and Greninja (who terrorizes sandless offense) and virtual nonexistence of YZard and MHera who were major annoyances for Sand. I man yeah it's useless vs stall but it's not really supposed to beat stall, it's mainly a tool for beating offense and is great at that. I guess the huge popularity of Lando-T/Rotom-W and of Rain is a problem, but these were still pretty common back in XY, so I don't see how it's changed for the worse exactly. That being said, I guess there's a case for it dropping given that the playstyle which Excadrill was the most effect against, HO, is pretty uncommon right now, but I still don't feel like that's enough for it to drop to A-. (Oh and it isn't completely spinblocked by Sableye btw, since EQ 2HKOs in Sand. Exca isn't primarily a spinner anyway, it's a sweeper who can, on occasion, spin, so I don't see why we're focusing so much on Rapid Spin)

oh yeah also I don't know why DNite was A in the first place and it's certainly worse now so drop plz

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I don't think Magnezone should rise if I'm going to be perfectly honest. Sure we can use the logic that these new megas want steel types out of the way. Then you look at most of them and they all have a way to threaten these steel types. HP Fire/Earth Power M-Diancie, Focus Blast/HP Fire M-Sceptile, Fire Blast/EQ/Hydro Pump M-Salamence, Scald/Hydro Pump/Low Kick M-Swampert, Hammer Arm M-Metagross, etc. Also let's consider the usage of Shed Shell Skarmory and Ferrothorn who the trapping would mostly apply to, as things such as Bisharp and M-Scizor can potentially threaten Magnezone. It's an ok asset on offensive teams but it's not some sort of necessity to remove steel types. In my eyes Magnezone really hasn't benefitted nor has it been hurt by the ORAS meta. Its offensive and defensive synergy that it provides remains the same in terms of value when compared to XY and ORAS meta and I think A- is perfectly suitable for it.

raise magnezone to a rank
magnezone has always been a solid "niche" pokemon, namely "steel trapping". its ability to efficiently ko common steel type pokemon such as skarmory, ferrothorn and scizor make it a worthwhile pokemon on any team. no other pokemon can do magnezone's job which is why i personally praise magnezone as an amazing "niche" pokemon.
however, oras ou hasn't changed for the better for our three eyed magnet since it still struggles to be a staple pokemon. the metagame doesn't favor its trapping abilities anymore than it did back in xy. magnezone hasn't picked up any new toys in oras either, which only exacerbates the issue of suffering from prior flaws in past generations. choice variants are arguably its best variants and with pokemon such as landorus-t and mega mence running around, it becomes a liability. sure it comes in and kos the steel type pokemon, but after that, the opponent gains all the offensive momentum which is definitely not favorable for any team.
all in all, magnezone's unique and ever so helpful niche in oras ou is much deserving of a rank ; however its flaws hold it back greatly and a rank seems fair enough.

Alright, Kyurem-B shouldn't drop. I have a few problems with it dropping:

1) Kyurem-B's Substitute set became much more threatening in the ORAS transition, since it most teams rely on faster frail 'mons on beating it. For example, you bring Kyurem-B on Rotom-W, something it naturally forces out. Your opponent predicts an Earth Power and switches off too something, and your coverage takes care of X 'mon as they break the Substitute. Kyurem-B's typing itself forces out crap like Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, Greninja (!), Defensive Landorus-T, Thundurus-I without Focus Blast, [Mega] Slowbro, Magnezone, Heatran, aforementioned Rotom-W, Mega Manectric, etc. and with HO teams in every corner, Kyurem-B has found a way to wreck havoc with its coverage. The prevalence of Mega Sableye stall means that Kyurem-B can wreck havoc easily.

2) The Choice Scarf set is even more threatening with all these HO teams running Mega Lopunny, Mega Beedrill, Mega Gallade, Mega Charizard X, Mega Manectric,...and other frail non-MEvos (huge list) meaning it has plenty of oppurtunities to SPAM Outrage, even more, considering the falling usage of Azumarill and Clefable. Choice Scarf Keldeo was the go to go ORAS revenge killer and tanking the hit with your amazing bulk allows you to open a sweep with an opponent losing a revenge killer. Kyurem-B is improving as the metagame progresses, and is adapting. And speaking of that, the Assault Vest's effectiveness is even greater at the moment.

These themselves means that Kyurem-B is perfectly fine in A-. It is a very anti-metagame 'mon

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't forget Starmie, who's actually really solid now.

Anyway I've definitely been convinced that thanks to Lopunny + Gallade, Terrakion, Heracross, and Medicham are significantly worse. Medicham was hit the worst, since it really is just a niche variation of Gallade. It isn't bad by any means, but what does it have over Gallade? I guess it 2hkos unaware clefable (gallade can too w/ poison jab...), but that's certainly not enough to keep it A. In my head, I see Medicham:Gallade::Pinsir:Salamence, so if Pinsir really does belong in B, Medicham does as well. Heracross was hit seemingly less hard, since neither Lop nor Gallade directly outclasses it. However, in this current metagame, why would I use a mon with 185 and 75 speed when I could use a mon with 165 attack and 110 Speed OR a mon with 136 attack and 135 Speed? Fighting/Rock/Bug Coverage isn't anything special, since stuff like Doublade 100% walls it. Lopunny doesn't have to worry about this, since with 2 moves it gets unresisted coverage. It is significantly weaker, but atm a) stall is based around Mega Sableye, something Lopunny easily kills, and b) offense is really popular, and Lopunny fairs much better against it thanks to outspeeding everything except Sceptile, Beedrill, Dactyl, and Zam. Then you throw SD Gallade into the mix, and reasons for using Hera further diminish. I'm feeling B+ for it, but I'm not sure, since I'd rather use most stuff over it. Terrakion still has Stealth Rock to boast, as well as the ability to a) hold items, and b) be used with a mega, so it was definitely hit the least hard. However, if you were using it for anything other than a SR Sash lead, it's basically a worse Lopunny/Gallade. This probably fits best in A-, but then again, Manaphy, Jirachi, and Politoed are all a lot better than it.
Terrakion and Mega Heracross are fine for A-, but not any lower. As others mentioned, Mega Heracross is more effective than ever against stall teams, with Doublade and Gliscor dropping in usage, and it by far outperforms the new Fighting MEvos when it comes to stallbreaking, namely Mega Gallade and Mega Lopunny. Even if the stall team is using Mega Altaria with max HP / max Def+, +2 Adamant Heracross deals 75% damage minimum with Rock Blast, an OHKO with a tiny bit of previous damage or two SR rounds.

As for Terrakion, it is still a good wallbreaker and a fast SR setter with Taunt, and unlike Mamoswine it can get past Mega Sableye, thanks to SD. A simple set of SD / dual STABs / SR with LO does work against every single playstyle, and although it is outsped by way more offensive Pokemon, it still checks and threatens important Pokemon such as Bisharp, Heatran, Chansey, and Tyranitar.

Talpr0ne said:
I'm not sold at all about Slowbro-Mega being placed in A+, expecially not basing on the merits of its Calm Mind set, which is actually really easy to pierce through, even at +1, since it has 5 weakness, all common types, expecially on the special side. It is really difficult to find a team that doesn't carry at least one beetween Substitute Mega-Salamence, Mega-Manectric, Greninja with Dark Pulse or Grass Knot, Mega-Sceptile, Magnezone, Gengar, Breloom, Mega-Charizard Y Mega-Gardevoir, stallbreaker Mew, Substitute Mega Gyarados, Mega-Heracross, Scizor, Thundurus, Mega-Beedrill, Mega-Venusaur, CB Tyranitar, SubCm Mega_Latias, Calm Mind Clef(both Magic Guard and Unaware) and CroCune. All these Pokémon can threaten Mega Slowbro in some way even after a Calm Mind, by outright blasting through it or engaging it in a boosting war it has no chance to win. What's worse it that most of these Pokémon care very little about a Scald burn.
I feel that other possible sets such as Slack Off+Thunder Wave, Offensive Trick Room, Modest Slack Off+3 atks etc, are too unexplored to talk about them because everyone is psyched about CM for some reason.
Most of those Pokemon you mentioned outright lose to Iron Defense / Calm Mind / Scald / Slack Off with max HP / max SpD. Not to mention that any physical attacker is crippled if Scald burns on the switch. There are very few hard counters to this set and if you don't bring in the right checks quickly enough you have a very good chance to get outright swept by it. Plus all the defensive utility it bring to a team, which make me think it's worthy of A+ rank.

Last edited:
Terrakion and Mega Heracross are fine for A-, but not any lower. As others mentioned, Mega Heracross is more effective than ever against stall teams, with Doublade and Gliscor dropping in usage, and it by far outperforms the new Fighting MEvos when it comes to stallbreaking, namely Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny. Even if the stall team is using Mega Altaria with max HP / max Def+, +2 Adamant Heracross deals 75% damage minimum with Rock Blast, an OHKO with a tiny bit of previous damage or two SR rounds.

As for Terrakion, it is still a good wallbreaker and a fast SR setter with Taunt, and unlike Mamoswine it can get past Mega Sableye, thanks to SD. A simple set of SD / dual STABs / SR with LO does work against every single playstyle, and although it is outsped by way more offensive Pokemon, it still checks and threatens important Pokemon such as Bisharp, Heatran, Chansey, and Tyranitar.

Most of those Pokemon you mentioned outright lose to Iron Defense / Calm Mind / Scald / Slack Off with max HP / max SpD. Not to mention that any physical attacker is crippled if Scald burns on the switch. There are very few hard counters to this set and if you don't bring in the right checks quickly enough you have a very good chance to get outright swept by it. Plus all the defensive utility it bring to a team, which make me think it's worthy of A+ rank.
Small nitpick, but do you mean Mega Gallade and Mega Lopunny, since Mega Medicham has been here for the entirety of XY?

I don't think Magnezone should rise if I'm going to be perfectly honest. Sure we can use the logic that these new megas want steel types out of the way. Then you look at most of them and they all have a way to threaten these steel types. HP Fire/Earth Power M-Diancie, Focus Blast/HP Fire M-Sceptile, Fire Blast/EQ/Hydro Pump M-Salamence, Scald/Hydro Pump/Low Kick M-Swampert, Hammer Arm M-Metagross, etc. Also let's consider the usage of Shed Shell Skarmory and Ferrothorn who the trapping would mostly apply to, as things such as Bisharp and M-Scizor can potentially threaten Magnezone. It's an ok asset on offensive teams but it's not some sort of necessity to remove steel types. In my eyes Magnezone really hasn't benefitted nor has it been hurt by the ORAS meta. Its offensive and defensive synergy that it provides remains the same in terms of value when compared to XY and ORAS meta and I think A- is perfectly suitable for it.
The fact that you have Magnezone means that those megas don't have to run otherwise inferior moves just to beat steels. If the standard Mence for example set wants to run EQ or FB over sub, it leaves itself more vulnerable to status. It's not that they can't beat steels, it's that if they let Mag do it for them they can run better sets. Having Mag on your team is like giving something on your team an extra moveslot, and it's not like it's only useful as a trapper. It has great special attack, reasonable bulk, and the scarf set is a good pivot. And being able to force two of the best defensive Pokes in the tier to run shed shell over leftovers or rocky helmet is pretty nifty too. Magnezone makes things on yor team better, and it makes things that wall things on your team worse. Magnezone isn't some all powerful god that beats all steel types and lets you automatically win with your mega, but it's absolutely something that makes most offensive teams better and I think that makes it worthy of A.

The fact that you have Magnezone means that those megas don't have to run otherwise inferior moves just to beat steels. If the standard Mence for example set wants to run EQ or FB over sub, it leaves itself more vulnerable to status. It's not that they can't beat steels, it's that if they let Mag do it for them they can run better sets. Having Mag on your team is like giving something on your team an extra moveslot, and it's not like it's only useful as a trapper. It has great special attack, reasonable bulk, and the scarf set is a good pivot. And being able to force two of the best defensive Pokes in the tier to run shed shell over leftovers or rocky helmet is pretty nifty too. Magnezone makes things on yor team better, and it makes things that wall things on your team worse. Magnezone isn't some all powerful god that beats all steel types and lets you automatically win with your mega, but it's absolutely something that makes most offensive teams better and I think that makes it worthy of A.
My problem with Magenzone is that I find it slightly underwhelming when my opponent doesnt have a steel I want to trap, not a complete dead weight, but close. I get that it can be a nice pivot and decent answer to bird spam, but its note quite on the level of other A rank pokemon. Also, Ferrothorn and Skarmory running a shed shell isn't a good thing for mag, its bad because it means they have adapted.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't call Magnezone useless if there's nothing to trap. It still has 130 Special Attack, lots of switch in opportunities thanks to its bulk + resists, can check/revenge some stuff like Fairies, and makes a decent Volt Switch user. With a Scarf it's outspeeding most of the unboosted meta and can even clean up late game sometimes. There's also the fact that forcing Skarmory and Ferrothorn to run Shed Shell shows just how it's influencing the meta right now, even if it's detrimental to Magnezone to a degree. I think it deserves A (maybe A+?).

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
I wouldn't call Magnezone useless if there's nothing to trap. It still has 130 Special Attack, lots of switch in opportunities thanks to its bulk + resists, can check/revenge some stuff like Fairies, and makes a decent Volt Switch user. With a Scarf it's outspeeding most of the unboosted meta and can even clean up late game sometimes. There's also the fact that forcing Skarmory and Ferrothorn to run Shed Shell shows just how it's influencing the meta right now, even if it's detrimental to Magnezone to a degree. I think it deserves A (maybe A+?).
This is definitely true. I've used Magnezone frequently on teams that don't even necessarily need Steels gone just for its set of resistances and bulk. Just because its main purpose is trapping Steels doesn't mean that it can't have utility outside of that role.

The amount of pressure that Magnezone puts on even Shed Shell Steels is impressive, too. As Sgt. Stardust said, Skarm and Ferro are more wary of switching into certain things in fear of getting their item knocked off. If you run Magnezone with a powerful Pokemon running Knock Off, Magnezone is still fulfilling its purpose of discouraging Steel types from coming in on your sweeper. Magnezone+a potential Knock Off user adds a level of psychological warfare that can give you the upper hand. I still believe that it ought to be A+ ranked.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The problem with this first statement, is that the moves I mentioned are standards amongst them. They're not lures to hit what Magnezone is intended to take out by any extent and are common variants you see in the meta right now so no Magnezone doesn't actually provide any real sort of relief in terms of teambuilding constraints. That's the thing with the Shed Shell Variant. If the meta is adapting more towards it that's not necessarily grounds that it's more viable. Shed Shell Ferrothorn is the perfect example of how Magnezone can just lose momentum with a simple protect for scouting, switch into immunity, which are commonly found on defensive and balanced builds pair with Ferrothorn. Magnezone has to rely on prediction games to successfully pull off and to me I don't find that very consistent when your average team has a resist to every single one of its moves and viable ground types such as Lando-T to just stop Volt Switching in its track. As far as the Knock Off thing you mentioned right before this goes, that's generally true, but why are you building a team with just these as your answer to Knock Off? I'm not saying Magnezone is bad I'm just saying when you compare it, at least in my eyes, to mons such as Ferrothorn and Mamoswine, these mons have much more consistency on the archetypes they are found on. Every positive trait is justifiable to keep it at A- I can agree and accept those positive traits but moving Magnezone based on the notion that it always provides momentum and somehow puts an extreme pressure on teambuilds I can't agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)