Pokémon Sharpedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using poison fang just for the 50% badly poisoned chance isn't good. Sharp is still pretty frail, and it can't rely on poison.
Also, even if you snag the poison and protect next turn, poison does more dmg first turn than badly poisoned. And sharp cant stay in for long like that, taking hits.
Has anyone tried out this monster yet?

Sharpedo @ Shapedite
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond
- Protect
For this, if the set is used for Destiny Bond, it's probably better to use normal sharpedo for Destiny bond kills. Unless you want more offensive presence.

On Poison Fang: I'd have to agree. MSharpedo is really only great at cleaning, and you shouldn't be relying on passive damage for that, even if Protect helps a little. Perhaps if a lot of your team runs Protect it might be worth it, though? There was a glue Garchomp set recently in the metagame discussion thread made to partner with MSharpedo (#SharkAttackNewMeta2015??) with EQ/Toxic/Protect/SR. Trying to aid toxic stall with that in support might be useful (though it might also just be redundant). But I'd sooner use Double Edge. ((Related, there's that Stallbreaker TFlame/MSharpedo core in the core thread which looks like a lot of fun to use. Why are Sharpedo's partners in crime all so cool D: ))

What are people's thoughts on running full 252 speed on MSharpedo? Assuming you are using it as a cleaner, you're not gonna want to waste the few turns you have to make use of Speed Boost, so I'm going to assume most people will hold off on Megaevolving until they're at at least +1. With that in mind, is +1 base 105 best at 252? What's so important that requires 252?

For my own benefit I messed around on the calculator with how bulky MSharpedo had to be to survive banded TFlame's Brave Bird (I used Froslass as a stand-in, 70/70 defenses) and the results weren't really reassuring. Lowest spread I could find was either 232 def for a guaranteed 2HKO, or 8 HP and 224 def (same total, but better overall defenses. Oddly, 4 hp requires 232 def to give the same benefit, a total of 236. Weird!). That's WITHOUT Stealth Rock.
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 8 HP / 224 Def Froslass: 238-282 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I also checked some calcs for surviving a Sharp Beak Tflame with rocks... there might have been a local minimum I missed, but what I got was 300 EVs total: 52 HP, 248 Def. Not worth it. All in all? Talonflame = Bad News! But there might be some less ambitious attacks Shark can survive without losing out on too many speed tiers.

so sharpedo will be using a poison move for prediction and hitting things that it can't hit two stages worse with crunch- like fairies and grass/fighting or grass/dark or grass/fairy
also using the bulkiest sets i can think of or in Brelooms case the poison heal stall set.
out of curiosity is damage from status included in the damage calculator

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 174-206 (43 - 50.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 184-218 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
no real difference after stealth rock- but before poison jab guarantees a two hit KO-realy depends on preference here- i think azmarill generally runs less defensive sets then this and will be 2 hit kod by poison fang as well(if you don't hit on the switch you dead from playrough or super power)

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 87-103 (29.8 - 35.3%) -- 21% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 93-110 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 93% chance to 3HKO
basically never going to do much to Alataria- poison fang superior for badly toxic(dead in one hit from fairy)

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 228-270 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 244-288 (75.3 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
I figure this is the most defensive variant you run into on breloom and no real difference besides maybe poisoning before it's toxic orb activates(also if you don't hit it on the switch your dead from grass or fighting move)- this one is neutral

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 120-142 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 128-152 (33.6 - 40%) -- 31.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
you wont live that long any ways(chesnaught will kill you with a fighting or grass move in one shot) - poison fang is better for badly poison

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Togekiss: 156-184 (41.8 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Togekiss: 166-196 (44.5 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
if stealth rocks are up no difference 2HKO for both- other wise it is a three hit KO for both guaranteed-- poison fang superior for higher toxic chance.(3 hit KO means your dead from fairy attack before you kill it)

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 180-212 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
stealth rock clean 2 hit ko for both-other wise poison jab is better for having a decent chance to 2hKo (note that poison fang has a slightly higher chance than shown due to 50 percent toxic on the first turn)-

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ludicolo: 200-236 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ludicolo: 200-236 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
pretty much equal here but crunch would be better for flinch chance and more damage

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 304-360 (93.8 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 324-384 (100 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
poison jab is better here

considering that the poison move is really only useful in a hand full of situations
and poison jab only out classes in two of the 7 situation's it does more than crunch in i would say poison fang is better than poison jab.

my rational is if it's a three hit ko either way badly poison is better(especialy if the other pokemon can 1HKO you. and two hit ko either way is in favor of the higher poison chance move.

Question is, is Poison Fang/Jab worth running over Ice Fang, which is still fairly strong (2HKO'ing max bulk Lando-T through Intimidate is fairly decent, and you handle Mence/Dragonite/Garchomp/Gliscor [though not all of those are common]).

I tried M-Sharpedo with heavy offense and it was not good and not bad, just ok. Even though Strong Jaw Crunch is really strong, it stuggles vs some defensive mons, because it just can't get the kill. I'm not saying that's bad, because it wouldn't be the first mon to need support (like Spikes) to sweep, but because of that it doesn't perfectly fit in a heavy offensive team for now, especially if there are a stronger powerhouses right now like M-Gallade, a fully offensive M-Salamence or even Greninja with basically the same typing. It's definitely a good cleaner though and works on bulkier teams with Spikes support, because after that almost nothing can really switch in and live two hits. It also pressures offensive teams thanks to Speed Boost and even stall after it mega evolves by doing crucial damage (with some support).

I'd imagine Ferrothorn and Roserade as a good partners, which do not care too much about fairies, lay some Spikes and put something to sleep (Rose) or support with Leech Seed. Also Heatran is really nice with SR and maybe Roar, because Talonflame will try to switch in on Sharpedo. Also, even though Speed Boost is amazing, it's not that reliable, because I think Sharpedo is a monster which likes to occasionally come in and drop a Strong Jaw Crunch, so you could lose that ability and be forced to switch out. Protect is also somewhat predictable, so I can imagine to drop Protect when using Sharpedo on a bulky team and just go with 4 moves, but I don't really know if that would work. It's definitely nice to have a priority move for offense and Ice Fang for Gliscor or something, though. In the end, I think Sharpedo is really a good mon on paper and fun to build with.

Having a slow Volt/U-turner into Mega-Sharpedo is great simply because that lets you fire off a STAB Strong Jaws Crunch into whatever comes in (or Waterfall/Ice Fang/Poison Fang, but ideally Crunch if they don't have a good switch in for that) and you can then switch out whenever. Bulky Lando-T is good for this, also because it's a decent Talonflame check/counter as well as resisting/halting Volt-Turning itself. It can also set up SR to ensure some OHKOs/2HKOs for Mega Sharpedo, which is very nice.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Ice Fang is basically useless. Use Ice Beam if youre using an ice move. It's better for Lando-T, and Salamence. Lando-i and Chomper are 1 hit regardless, Dragonite dies to Ice Beam and Ice Fang if multiscale is broken, and lives both if it isn't. Chesnaught takes more damage from Ice Beam too. As for Altaria it depends on spread, and it seems like phys def is more popular, based on hearsay.

Also Poison Jab is clearly superior because PSN does way more than Tox over two turns, even still when factoring in the different poison chance rates, and the 5 extra base power is relevant.

Please stop running Poison Fang and Ice Fang on your Sharpedos

Ice Fang is basically useless. Use Ice Beam if youre using an ice move. It's better for Lando-T, and Salamence. Lando-i and Chomper are 1 hit regardless, Dragonite dies to Ice Beam and Ice Fang if multiscale is broken, and lives both if it isn't. Chesnaught takes more damage from Ice Beam too. As for Altaria it depends on spread, and it seems like phys def is more popular, based on hearsay.

Also Poison Jab is clearly superior because PSN does way more than Tox over two turns, even still when factoring in the different poison chance rates, and the 5 extra base power is relevant.

Please stop running Poison Fang and Ice Fang on your Sharpedos
you are wrong at least on the average damage from poison- and please offer proof that those 5 BP are relevant.
factoring chance here are the numbers
.5(3/16)+.25*(1/16)=10.9% the average extra damage from chance of badly toxic on poison fang(assuming divisible by sixteen)
.3(1/4)+.7*.3(1/8)=10.1% the average extra damage from poison factoring the chance on poison jab(assuming divisible by eight)
as you can see considering you made you post with out actually bothering to do the math, on average the poison from poison fang does more damage than the poison from poison jab

the difence is even greater if we only count a trigger on the first turn
3/32=.9375 on poison fang vs 3/40=.075 on poison jab

like i showed above on the things you might hit with a poison move the extra damage from there are only 7.
based on the criteria
3HKO you are going to die any ways so the badly toxic chance is better
2HKO on both the move with a better chance to toxic is going to be better
1HKO either way is also better for poison fang
now if there is a decent chance(2.3% is not descent) chance of missing a 1 or 2 HKO that is in favor of poison jab
that gives poison fang 5 to 2 in its favor

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Basically what Tarontos is saying is that Poison Fang has a (marginally) better chance of dealing more damage than Poison Jab over the course of 2 turns, which is usually the opponent getting poisoned on the switch + additional poison damage as they stay in. That said, Poison Jab can deal more damage than Poison Fang in the course of one turn, aka on the switch.

Poison Fang: 50% chance of dealing 1/16 damage = average of 3.75
Poison Jab: 30% chance of dealing 1/8 damage = average of 3.125

This means that the harsh poison from Poison Fang would only be a net gain if Mega Sharpedo has teammates that are solid switch-ins to its opponents, otherwise the possible extra damage gained from Poison Jab on the immediate switch may be more useful, especially against things like Magic Guard Clefable, Sylveon, and Mega Altaria (all physically defensive). It does come down to team structure, whether Poison Fang's harsh poison can be properly taken advantage of to whittle down the opponent (better fit on bulkier / balanced teams), or Poison Jab's better immediate damage, poison included, can be used to allow Mega Shark a slight chance of breaking through Fairy-types by itself (better fit on offensive teams).

don't forget you also have protect on most mega shaped sets so it is two turns of damage gained.
and i forgot about clefable

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 168-198 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
you will probably never two HKo this thing but it never takes damage from toxic any ways-poison jabs favor
5 to 3 in poison fangs favor.

you never do much to altaria any ways- at best a three HKO the other two yeah.
and on ice fang vs/beam that comes down to what you need to hit(ie physical or special) and a bonus chance to flinch vs 5 accuracy.

and does any one know if there is a way to turn on damage from secondary effects on the damage calculator.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sharpedo is too frail to try to abuse the residual damage; it needs things dead ASAP. Letting your target live with even a sliver of health can cost you Sharpedo, which isn't worth it even if they have been badly poisoned since you've lost a wincon. There's also the issue that if you want to abuse Speed Boost pre-Mega that switching out to teammates like Punchshroom suggested means you're not getting that speed back and are going to miss out on outspeeding some things (especially if you're not running a +Speed nature).

Well, technically Sharpedo can abuse at least one round of residual damage. Like Tarontos said, they run Protect and if the opponent is poisoned you're going to want to use it a lot of the time, purely for the added damage. Protect screws with the maths a bit. After seeing those calcs, I think it's a judgment call - don't use Fang on a team that abuses other forms of status, and even then it's a trade-off. But your point about switching completely defines Mega Sharpedo IMO, more so than his powerful Crunch, and it should be the title sentence of the eventual analysis. Once he's in and mega Evolved, you really cannot afford to switch out. Waaaaaaay too much opportunity lost and no chance to get any of it back. Without Speed Boost, Mega Shark's kind of meh :/

Anybody been messing around with hazard setters to buddy up with Sharpedo? Ferrothorn's got Spikes, SR, Thunder Wave (not sure when this would really help Sharpedo out though) and causes chip damage to Brave Birds/Mach Punches - though again, these should never really be thrown at a Sharpedo, since their users should have been removed before megaEvolving. So maybe that's moot. On that topic, good lures for Talonflame/Breloom/Conkeldurr?

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 278-328 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 260-308 (93.8 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon: 184-218 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 214-254 (54.3 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 136-162 (38.4 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 128-152 (36.1 - 42.9%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 258-304 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 240-284 (82.4 - 97.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Audino: 168-198 (40.9 - 48.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Audino: 158-186 (38.5 - 45.3%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Yes, ik that you can run IB for Sceptile&Altaria, but since you must take Waterfall, Crunch and Protect, you cant take both.
EVen if you can toxic"stall" with Protect, all of the 6 can OHKO you. But since M-Sharpedos defenses are not very good and you should use Protect only one time (and you cant toxicstall Clef), i think, that Poison Jap is better.

Karxrida

Well, technically Sharpedo can abuse at least one round of residual damage. Like Tarontos said, they run Protect and if the opponent is poisoned you're going to want to use it a lot of the time, purely for the added damage. Protect screws with the maths a bit. After seeing those calcs, I think it's a judgment call - don't use Fang on a team that abuses other forms of status, and even then it's a trade-off. But your point about switching completely defines Mega Sharpedo IMO, more so than his powerful Crunch, and it should be the title sentence of the eventual analysis. Once he's in and mega Evolved, you really cannot afford to switch out. Waaaaaaay too much opportunity lost and no chance to get any of it back. Without Speed Boost, Mega Shark's kind of meh :/

Anybody been messing around with hazard setters to buddy up with Sharpedo? Ferrothorn's got Spikes, SR, Thunder Wave (not sure when this would really help Sharpedo out though) and causes chip damage to Brave Birds/Mach Punches - though again, these should never really be thrown at a Sharpedo, since their users should have been removed before megaEvolving. So maybe that's moot. On that topic, good lures for Talonflame/Breloom/Conkeldurr?
Except you cannot afford to do that when cleaning since they get to attack you the same turn they've been Poisoned, which can lead to you taking a huge amount of damage due to Sharpedo's bad bulk (if not getting OHKO'd outright since the Mons you need Poison Fang/Jab for are Fairies). You could only really afford to Protect on Pokemon that are Poisoned the turn they switch into you to check/counter you, and even then some of them like Keldeo you can't beat without a specific coverage move that Poison Fang/Jab has more than likely replaced since you need both STABs.

Ooooh. You're right, I was thinking of poisoning the switch the whole time. But that's a one-time scenario and in the Gardevoir case it's enough to make or break the match. If Sharpedo wasn't such a late-game mon, where its teammates could make use of the Toxic damage, then I'd be all for Fang... but yeah now I'm falling on the side of Poison Jab again :|

Personally I still prefer Double-Edge over either, the recoil's not a big deal on a Pokemon like Sharpedo anyway and I appreciate the reliable damage. But that's really just me!

Are there any decent Talonflame lures that partner well with MSharp? I know Tangrowth sometimes runs Rock Slide specifically for Talon but if you mispredict it's completely pointless and anyway what else does Tangrowth provide that's so useful. :/ Sharpedo won't function well if there's a Talonflame waiting in the... wings im so sorry and it's common enough to worry about. Rocks can't be relied on and Aqua Jet is just too situational to run. There's a lure Breloom that foregoes Spore to take out Grass types (maybe even other Breloom sometimes?) and it runs Rock Slide. So there's that.
CP'd from the Smog heheheh i r so creativ

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

What it does
This set forgoes Spore for sheer power and improved coverage, making it almost impossible to wall, with a few exceptions. Common answers to Breloom, such as Mandibuzz, Mega Venusaur, Psychic-lacking physically defensive Celebi, Amonguss, physically defensive Ferrothorn, Chesnaught, and Flying-type move-lacking defensive Gliscor, are all seriously crippled or outright beaten by this set, making it a great lure for any bulky Grass-type. Even without setting up, this set is very potent and packs a lot of power, great coverage, and revenge killing utility in Mach Punch, making it useful against offensive teams too.

Good partners
Any Pokémon that appreciates Grass-types gone works well with this set. Keldeo, Azumarill, especially Belly Drum variants, Mega Gyarados, double dance Landorus-T, and Sand Rush Excadrill are some of the most threatening Pokémon that are hard to stop after Breloom has done its job. In general, this set works great with multiple other physical sweepers checked by Grass-types.

Karxrida

Ooooh. You're right, I was thinking of poisoning the switch the whole time. But that's a one-time scenario and in the Gardevoir case it's enough to make or break the match. If Sharpedo wasn't such a late-game mon, where its teammates could make use of the Toxic damage, then I'd be all for Fang... but yeah now I'm falling on the side of Poison Jab again :|

Personally I still prefer Double-Edge over either, the recoil's not a big deal on a Pokemon like Sharpedo anyway and I appreciate the reliable damage. But that's really just me!

Are there any decent Talonflame lures that partner well with MSharp? I know Tangrowth sometimes runs Rock Slide specifically for Talon but if you mispredict it's completely pointless and anyway what else does Tangrowth provide that's so useful. :/ Sharpedo won't function well if there's a Talonflame waiting in the... wings im so sorry and it's common enough to worry about. Rocks can't be relied on and Aqua Jet is just too situational to run. There's a lure Breloom that foregoes Spore to take out Grass types (maybe even other Breloom sometimes?) and it runs Rock Slide. So there's that.
CP'd from the Smog heheheh i r so creativ

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

What it does
This set forgoes Spore for sheer power and improved coverage, making it almost impossible to wall, with a few exceptions. Common answers to Breloom, such as Mandibuzz, Mega Venusaur, Psychic-lacking physically defensive Celebi, Amonguss, physically defensive Ferrothorn, Chesnaught, and Flying-type move-lacking defensive Gliscor, are all seriously crippled or outright beaten by this set, making it a great lure for any bulky Grass-type. Even without setting up, this set is very potent and packs a lot of power, great coverage, and revenge killing utility in Mach Punch, making it useful against offensive teams too.

Good partners

Any Pokémon that appreciates Grass-types gone works well with this set. Keldeo, Azumarill, especially Belly Drum variants, Mega Gyarados, double dance Landorus-T, and Sand Rush Excadrill are some of the most threatening Pokémon that are hard to stop after Breloom has done its job. In general, this set works great with multiple other physical sweepers checked by Grass-types.
Mega Gardevoir is actually hit harder by Crunch regardless (180 BP vs. 160), but you should still run Jab because it means you don't need your targets as weak to KO them plus Clefable (one of the main reasons Sharpedo would run Poison coverage) is immune to the residual damage anyway. Also, Clefable is always 2HKO'd by Jab if running the Calm set and has a small chance of being 2HKO'd if Physically Defensive Calm Mind.

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 214-254 (54.3 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 168-198 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

so sharpedo will be using a poison move for prediction and hitting things that it can't hit two stages worse with crunch- like fairies and grass/fighting or grass/dark or grass/fairy
also using the bulkiest sets i can think of or in Brelooms case the poison heal stall set.
out of curiosity is damage from status included in the damage calculator

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 174-206 (43 - 50.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 184-218 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
no real difference after stealth rock- but before poison jab guarantees a two hit KO-realy depends on preference here- i think azmarill generally runs less defensive sets then this and will be 2 hit kod by poison fang as well(if you don't hit on the switch you dead from playrough or super power)

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 87-103 (29.8 - 35.3%) -- 21% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 93-110 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 93% chance to 3HKO
basically never going to do much to Alataria- poison fang superior for badly toxic(dead in one hit from fairy)

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 228-270 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 244-288 (75.3 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
I figure this is the most defensive variant you run into on breloom and no real difference besides maybe poisoning before it's toxic orb activates(also if you don't hit it on the switch your dead from grass or fighting move)- this one is neutral

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 120-142 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 128-152 (33.6 - 40%) -- 31.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
you wont live that long any ways(chesnaught will kill you with a fighting or grass move in one shot) - poison fang is better for badly poison

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Togekiss: 156-184 (41.8 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Togekiss: 166-196 (44.5 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
if stealth rocks are up no difference 2HKO for both- other wise it is a three hit KO for both guaranteed-- poison fang superior for higher toxic chance.(3 hit KO means your dead from fairy attack before you kill it)

252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 180-212 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
stealth rock clean 2 hit ko for both-other wise poison jab is better for having a decent chance to 2hKo (note that poison fang has a slightly higher chance than shown due to 50 percent toxic on the first turn)-

pretty much equal here but crunch would be better for flinch chance and more damage

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Poison Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 304-360 (93.8 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 324-384 (100 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
poison jab is better here

considering that the poison move is really only useful in a hand full of situations
and poison jab only out classes in two of the 7 situation's it does more than crunch in i would say poison fang is better than poison jab.

my rational is if it's a three hit ko either way badly poison is better(especialy if the other pokemon can 1HKO you. and two hit ko either way is in favor of the higher poison chance move.
I would pick Poison Jab 100% of the time. Poisoning a switch in followed by Protect then attacking nets 25% poison damage which is a bit more than Poison Fang not to mention the base power difference whuch is very important on something as defensively competent as a Metapod.

Also Ice Fang / Beam > Poison moves. Every single thing you listed is hit harder by Crunch / Waterfall / Ice move except Azumarill and he doesn't even have recovery.

Ash Borer

Tarontos

The only relevant scenario where Poison Fang and Poison Jab's poison damage are used is when: An opposing pokemon switches into the poison move, then, they become poisoned, and you protect on the second turn. However, we must factor in that all relevant targets are using leftovers. So, the total damage that toxic poison will do over two turns is 1/16, while Poison's damage will be 2/16. Therefore toxic's average damage in this scenario is 3.125%, while poison's is 3.75%.

Never will a poison attack on something that lives it be relevant as Sharpedo will immediately die thereafter, meaning it has failed to clean, which is its only purpose.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
On that topic, good lures for Talonflame/Breloom/Conkeldurr?
Blanking right now but I know flying STAB Thundurus beats all of them 1v1.
IDK honestly the meta isn't really as prepared for birdspam as it was early XY so a ton of teams are really weak to stuff like SD Talon, etc.

Anyways Magnezone is probably required for everything because it removes Ferro, Skarm, etc. Other good partners are pretty much any other mon that likes to weaken other mons before cleaning. Talonflame kind of stands out, as does CBDnite. Hazards are good(it says so in like literally every mon's analysis that spikes and SR are appreciated) so Spiker Greninja ftw. BTW Ice Beam is better than Ice Fang.

Ash Borer

Ferrothorn and Skarm aren't really that much of a hurdle for Sharp. Crunch does a clean ~48% to standard spread Ferrothorn, this is a reasonable HP number for it to have late game if your team at all pressures it. As for Skarm, Hydro Pump is a good move on Sharpedo because it always 2HKOs skarm, and OHKOs Lando-T, while still retaining pretty much all of the uses that Waterfall has. Add in the fact that Skarmory can do little back ("skarmory used counter!" stupid bird lmfao) and it's really no problem for it.

As for Talonflame, early game hazards with sufficient pressure to keep them on is the best way to play around it. Force the opponent to use Talonflame by setting up with a sweeper, then switch out to your Rotom-W or something.

Last edited:
As for Skarm, Hydro Pump is a good move on Sharpedo because it always 2HKOs skarm, and OHKOs Lando-T, while still retaining pretty much all of the uses that Waterfall has. Add in the fact that Skarmory can do little back ("skarmory used counter!" stupid bird lmfao) and it's really no problem for it.
Hydro Pump dicks with Skarmory but you need 80 SA EVs and a Naughty nature to OHKO Landorus after Rocks 100% of the time (which also guarantees the 2HKO on Chesnaught with Ice Beam). Not a big deal considering Sharpedo doesn't need max speed nor does it care about its defenses.

The damage calculations seem kinda of "meh" though. Unless it's hitting Super-effective or smashing something frail like Thundurus / Excadrill it isn't really capable of OHKOing much. I know it is a "late game sweeper" but it literally does that one thing. It uses up a Mega slot that could be used on something like Gyarados who is actually useful pre-mega or Salamence who is... well, Salamence.

LO Sharpedo isn't amazing either lol but hits harder with all its moves except Crunch and doesn't have to sacrifice Speed Boost to do so. Mega Sharpedo seems to follow Mega Garchomp and Mega Latios in simply being not enough of an improvement over its non-mega to be good enough in OU.

Here's a M-Sharpedo set I've been running to some great success.

Sharpedo @Sharpedite
Adamant Nature
Speed Boost --> Strong Jaw
100 Hp / 252 Att / 156 Spe
-Aqua Jet
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall

You must be thinking I smelled too much lax incense, but a Mega Shark with HP evs allows him to take resisted hits more casually (shadow ball/sneak, bullet punch, Rotom-W's Hydro Pump). Many things to say, lets start with his speed EVs. Its built to outspeed max positive base 80 pokemon, and because of speed boosts prior to mega evolving, it will reach accelgor's max positive speed (427?) This is more than enough to clean through the unboosted pokemon. Yes, you will lose speed boost upon mega evolving, making switching almost suicidal. But this is where smart playing really comes in, and you bring regular sharpedo on opponents you can KO as regular sharpedo (so no need to protect), and mega evolve only if you know it will dent the rest of the opposition (there were times I switched sharpedo out, but it didn't mega evolve yet). As for the moveset, aqua jet is an interesting move that mauls talonflame, and infernape. It will also prove useful for lando-I if the shark is at +0. Crunch is its strongest move, and waterfall is a stronger water move that is greatly appreciated against fairies and heatran. The reason I use ice fang over ice beam is 1: it can flinch and or freeze. 2: it doesn't make me have to sacrifice bulk by changing the nature/evs 3: Ice beam is only better on pokemon x4 weak to ice. M-Sharpedo can beat more healthy M-pidgeots and breloom(on the switch in) with ice fang when compared to beam-check a damage calculator.
The team I tested with this sharpedo is so far undefeated... but that was only like 7 battles. Mega Sharpedo can be a star, but he definitely needs support and careful playing. The only thing I'm thinking of rearranging is its speed so that it can outspeed Adamant garchomp at +0

Karxrida

Hydro Pump dicks with Skarmory but you need 80 SA EVs and a Naughty nature to OHKO Landorus after Rocks 100% of the time (which also guarantees the 2HKO on Chesnaught with Ice Beam). Not a big deal considering Sharpedo doesn't need max speed nor does it care about its defenses.

The damage calculations seem kinda of "meh" though. Unless it's hitting Super-effective or smashing something frail like Thundurus / Excadrill it isn't really capable of OHKOing much. I know it is a "late game sweeper" but it literally does that one thing. It uses up a Mega slot that could be used on something like Gyarados who is actually useful pre-mega or Salamence who is... well, Salamence.

LO Sharpedo isn't amazing either lol but hits harder with all its moves except Crunch and doesn't have to sacrifice Speed Boost to do so. Mega Sharpedo seems to follow Mega Garchomp and Mega Latios in simply being not enough of an improvement over its non-mega to be good enough in OU.
Not running a +Speed nature means that Scarf Lando (who's extremely popular right now) can now outspeed you and can OHKO after SR with U-turn or Earthquake.

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 237-280 (84.3 - 99.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 222-262 (79 - 93.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

U-turn lets your opponent preserve momentum on top of ruining your sweep. You also have to deal with the rise of Scarf Keldeo's usage, which always checks because Zen Headbutt can't OHKO without like 3 switch-ins to SR.

252+ Atk Sharpedo Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 222-262 (68.7 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

But Mega Sharpedo really wants the power from a +Attack nature since it's weaker than Life Orb Sharpedo by a decent amount when it's not using Crunch (LO Zen Headbutt has a small chance to OHKO Keldeo). Mega Sharpedo's kind of between a rock and a hard place atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)