ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look how pidgeot is evading attacks even if it s supposed to have no guard
And Pikachu can hit Rhydon with an Electric attack. No matter what, a Pokémon anime will get something wrong, even if it isn't the main series.

And yes, we need a gif of Mega Lopunny vs Mega Sableye.
Also, I forgot to mention: Mudkip is freaking adorable in that video.

Last edited:
Exactly how I feel. With a good Frontier, this game would literally be the best game ever imo. Without, still solid but potential to be so much better :/
Yeah I'll still enjoy the game regardless but it would be nice if it was included and remained true to the original version... Cos while I have emerald version I got it many generations after it had been released so I never got around to seeing the Frontier and I would like to this time. Where exactly is the leaker at in the game anyway? I would have thought that there would be more leaks by now.

I'm impatient for the Battle Frontier confirmation too. It's pretty much the final thing that determines whether or not this game would be the best in the series for me. I just hope they don't pull something like XY and make online battling the only relevant postgame.
Well.
I mean.

Are we going to sit here and pretend Episode Delta and the legendary hunt aren't "relevant postgame"

And Pikachu can hit Rhydon with an Electric attack. No matter what, a Pokémon anime will get something wrong, even if it isn't the main series.
The anime gets a lot of stuff wrong, but a lot of differences are due to simple logic (i.e. a projectile Ground type move like Bone Rush can hit a Flying type because the attack travels through the air). The famous Rhydon scene was way back in the first season, and they got better about Ground type immunity as time passed (or at least provided better excuses when a move did work).

In the anime an ability that makes all moves hit would remove the usual excitement of the pokemon attempting to evade or aim their attacks. Its why the "always hit" and "priority" moves get changed to "usually hits" and "faster than most" moves.

And yes, we need a gif of Mega Lopunny vs Mega Sableye.
Plenty of them on tumblr. The file I tried is too big for me to upload here though.

The anime gets a lot of stuff wrong, but a lot of differences are due to simple logic (i.e. a projectile Ground type move like Bone Rush can hit a Flying type because the attack travels through the air). The famous Rhydon scene was way back in the first season, and they got better about Ground type immunity as time passed (or at least provided better excuses when a move did work).
I don't complain about that kind of logic (I do think that Bone Rush and Bonemerang should be able to hit Flying-types. They don't have the best distribution and aren't the strongest moves, so they won't break the game). It's more of an observation anyway.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well.
I mean.

Are we going to sit here and pretend Episode Delta and the legendary hunt aren't "relevant postgame"
I guess "relevant" wasn't the correct word, more like "full of content". Episode Delta doesn't seem to take more than an hour or two to complete, just like the Looker quests in XY. I wouldn't really consider legendary and mega stone hunting a postgame either. It's in the same category as breeding to me: preparation for online battling.

Battle Frontier, now THAT's a postgame.

I guess "relevant" wasn't the correct word, more like "full of content". Episode Delta doesn't seem to take more than an hour or two to complete, just like the Looker quests in XY. I wouldn't really consider legendary and mega stone hunting a postgame either. It's in the same category as breeding to me: preparation for online battling.

Battle Frontier, now THAT's a postgame.
aw yeah luck based hours of gameplay after hours of preparation for online battling the battle facilities

Omg, those scenes are just amazing.
I'm in the same league as some. I wouldn't really miss miss the Frontier, 'cause I never really played it. I got Sapphire and then college, so there was no extra money to buy Emerald. I did play it on an emulator some years ago, but just when I defeated the elite, I was able to buy my DS and started to catch up with things, playing Pearl, then Platinum, and ultimately, White (3 months before BW2).

So emerald and BW2 are the sole versions I never played fully (bw2 at all). Therefore, the game will still be great for me as Sapphire remake, my very first Pokemon tourney where I knew something I was doing rather than Hyper Beam on everyone and Hitmonchan with all the elemental punches was playing it. Hoenn is this important for me.

That said, I'd be delighted to play the Frontier. I'm earning to do it since I first saw that Frontier thing on the form of a Seviper.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
aw yeah luck based hours of gameplay after hours of preparation for online battling the battle facilities
Honestly gimmicks like DexNav, boring softresetting, and Delta Episode don't inspire hours upon hours of replayability. That's really what they need to keep players in because the storyline is a complete joke difficulty-wise. That's why people are clamoring for Battle Frontier, besides the fact that it's fun. Also there's nothing wrong with online battling coming from your neighborhood Battle Spot mod

I still open up HG from time to time to play Battle Frontier (I have long since lost my Emerald). Does anyone remember half of the other gimmicks? How much do you play Join Avenue or Pokemon Amie? Don't even remember all the other gimmicks honestly

Treecko vs Zigzagoon was the best fight, i need the gif of Treecko breking his tail bone.

And Battle Frontier is pure love, was unbeatable when i was a kid, and that make me want to be better and start to learn how complicated can be pokemon. Have the original battle frontier with all the new stuff would make this thing my favourite game for life.
And also, i want to see the guy from the dome using his masculine dress in 3D (i didnt get that him was male until the anime lol).

Treecko vs Zigzagoon was the best fight, i need the gif of Treecko breking his tail bone.

And Battle Frontier is pure love, was unbeatable when i was a kid, and that make me want to be better and start to learn how complicated can be pokemon. Have the original battle frontier with all the new stuff would make this thing my favourite game for life.
And also, i want to see the guy from the dome using his masculine dress in 3D (i didnt get that him was male until the anime lol).

Honestly gimmicks like DexNav, boring softresetting, and Delta Episode don't inspire hours upon hours of replayability. That's really what they need to keep players in because the storyline is a complete joke difficulty-wise. That's why people are clamoring for Battle Frontier, besides the fact that it's fun. Also there's nothing wrong with online battling coming from your neighborhood Battle Spot mod

I still open up HG from time to time to play Battle Frontier (I have long since lost my Emerald). Does anyone remember half of the other gimmicks? How much do you play Join Avenue or Pokemon Amie? Don't even remember all the other gimmicks honestly
But...in my Join Avenue, they called me "Lord Vader"...and I named mine "Darth Mall"...

In a more serious tone, I fully agree. The Battle Frontier is a lot of fun and the large variety, making you adapt and train different Pokémon for different challenges, is awesome. The sad thing for me is that I never played Emerald's (I don't own it, sadly), never really attempted anything outside of the Battle Tower in Platinum, and I've only focused on one facility in SoulSilver (Battle Hall). And I actually really enjoyed Battle Hall since it was the easiest way for an average casual to earn BP besides the Trainer House and I managed to get the Silver Print with my Charizard (a terrible thing with Flamethrower/Earthquake/Fly/Blast Burn, a Flame Plate, and a Docile Nature. EVs? Ha!). And I felt pride with that, but I was too intimidated to try any more cause I knew my Pokémon weren't the strongest and it was difficult to build a good team from my perspective + Gen IV mechanics. Now, on the other hand, with Gen V under my belt and four teams I'm rather proud of this gen, I would love a new shot at the Frontier.

I would look forward to the Battle Frontier, but only because I absolutely despised it back in Gen 3/4. However, now that it's actually possible to breed good IV Pokémon, I'd be more than happy to, y'know, face them on equal ground.

I would look forward to the Battle Frontier, but only because I absolutely despised it back in Gen 3/4. However, now that it's actually possible to breed good IV Pokémon, I'd be more than happy to, y'know, face them on equal ground.
Pretty much. As long as they took out the gimmicks where I don't have control over my pokemon I should be fine.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks like Treecko has big green balls hehe

If we're doing gif. requests, Slowbro's reaction to Sharpedo was funny as hell so would love one of those

Seriously though, that trailer was pretty damn epic! I agree it wasn't as good as the BW2 one, but it was nice and short so it was just action 100% of the time. Beedrill vs Camerupt seemed a bit weird but I can't think of any other combo for either of them rip Beedrill tho.

You're on a pokemon forum, and complaining about luck? Classic.
Battling people and dealing with that luck is way different from Battle "Hates You Forever" Frontier

Get unlucky in a person battle, what happens? Nothing. You lose. Go fight another.
Get unlucky in a frontier/facility? Your entire streak is down the drain. This was exceptionally awful in Emerald, iirc.

And there are SO MANY ways it can go wrong! Maybe they just send JUST THE RIGHT pokemon to screw your day. Maybe they get that crit when they need it every time. Maybe they hit you with status. Maybe all the coin flips fall the wrong way. Maybe they pull out the OHKO moves.

If there was one thing I liked about the PWT, it was that it was no more than 3 rounds and there was an incredibly limited pool of pokemon/trainers to draw from

e: DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BATTLE POINTS AND THE AWFUL NO GOOD SHOP

On Route 120, there's a trainer called Bug Maniac Brandon but his name was changed to Jeffrey in Emerald due to the Frontier Brain. According to the datamine, it is Brandon again. So the Emerald Battle Frontier is pretty much deconfirmed now.
It's most likely going to be completely different from Emerald. And thank goodness. I don't have to deal with that Battle Palace crap ever again!

Looks like Treecko has big green balls hehe

If we're doing gif. requests, Slowbro's reaction to Sharpedo was funny as hell so would love one of those

Seriously though, that trailer was pretty damn epic! I agree it wasn't as good as the BW2 one, but it was nice and short so it was just action 100% of the time. Beedrill vs Camerupt seemed a bit weird but I can't think of any other combo for either of them rip Beedrill tho.

On Route 120, there's a trainer called Bug Maniac Brandon but his name was changed to Jeffrey in Emerald due to the Frontier Brain. According to the datamine, it is Brandon again. So the Emerald Battle Frontier is pretty much deconfirmed now.
It's most likely going to be completely different from Emerald. And thank goodness. I don't have to deal with that Battle Palace crap ever again!
Or it could be them not paying attention the second time around. An example of this is in FireRed and LeafGreen. On Route 3, Bug Catcher Colton claims to have seen you in Viridian Forest and when you win, he says that you have beaten him once again. There is no Bug Catcher Colton in Viridian Forest. In Generation I, only Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, and Blue have actual names in battles. Every one else just has their trainer class, making it impossible to tell individual NPC trainers apart. In those games, that Bug Catcher could very well be any of the previous ones. In the remakes, however, it is impossible.
Long story short, maybe they screwed up. Or maybe there are new Frontier Brains. Or a brand new type of multi-facility battle area (I've heard Battle Resort from the demo dumps). Long story short, we don't know until Friday (or sooner depending on the leaker).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Maybe since they can't advertise battles in 3D as a selling point anymore they're going to expand on the Battle Frontier and make it into the next Stadium/Battle Revolution game. If they can't get us with 3D they'll get us with nostalgia.

Or it could be them not paying attention the second time around. An example of this is in FireRed and LeafGreen. On Route 3, Bug Catcher Colton claims to have seen you in Viridian Forest and when you win, he says that you have beaten him once again. There is no Bug Catcher Colton in Viridian Forest. In Generation I, only Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, and Blue have actual names in battles. Every one else just has their trainer class, making it impossible to tell individual NPC trainers apart. In those games, that Bug Catcher could very well be any of the previous ones. In the remakes, however, it is impossible.
Long story short, maybe they screwed up. Or maybe there are new Frontier Brains. Or a brand new type of multi-facility battle area (I've heard Battle Resort from the demo dumps). Long story short, we don't know until Friday (or sooner depending on the leaker).
HGSS also changed trainer names that matched Gym Leaders and other important trainers in past games.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Battling people and dealing with that luck is way different from Battle "Hates You Forever" Frontier

Get unlucky in a person battle, what happens? Nothing. You lose. Go fight another.
Get unlucky in a frontier/facility? Your entire streak is down the drain. This was exceptionally awful in Emerald, iirc.

And there are SO MANY ways it can go wrong! Maybe they just send JUST THE RIGHT pokemon to screw your day. Maybe they get that crit when they need it every time. Maybe they hit you with status. Maybe all the coin flips fall the wrong way. Maybe they pull out the OHKO moves.

If there was one thing I liked about the PWT, it was that it was no more than 3 rounds and there was an incredibly limited pool of pokemon/trainers to draw from

e: DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BATTLE POINTS AND THE AWFUL NO GOOD SHOP
Believe it or not, that's the glory and challenge of the Frontier, and it gives us countless hours of intense gameplay.
What's the fun in playing a game if you know you'll win every time? If you lose, stand back up and build another streak.
Complaining about luck in a Pokemon game is still pathetic, no matter what kind of battle you're doing.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Every time I see trailers like this one and the Origins series, I get disappointed because it reminds me how much better they could make the anime if they would just stop following Ash...
Longer anime series like Pokemon require a lot of budget.

The shorter stuff like The Origin and this ORAS can have higher quality only because they are short term anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)