ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the fun in playing a game if you know you'll win every time? If you lose, stand back up and build another streak.
Complaining about luck in a Pokemon game is still pathetic, no matter what kind of battle you're doing.
I agree with what you said; but there is nothing in the world that will make me replay the battle palace. Seriously FUCK THAT SHIT. If the BF comes back i want the place that held that hellhole to be a burned down wreckage.

Hey, I pre-ordered Alpha Sapphire. I am wondering if Sharpedo's mega stone will be available in both games?
I think it should be obtainable in Alpha Sapphire as Team Aqua leader is its user and it is the water game after all.

If it ends up being given in Omega Ruby because Archie helps you against Team magma it wouldn't be strange though.

In my case I pre-ordered both as it is even harder than in XY to obtain exclusive Mega stones from the games as with XY and ORAS you can complete the dex, but just this time.

Last edited:
Hey, I pre-ordered Alpha Sapphire. I am wondering if Sharpedo's mega stone will be available in both games?
We don't exactly know which mega-stones will be available in each yet.

Theories range from it being in both, being in Sapphire only, or being in the opposite game Ruby (ala Zekrom in White and Reshiram in Black). But honestly, nobody knows. Yet.

This is the exact reason I haven't pre-ordered a copy.
Edit: and Cainchin sniped me. ;)

Battling people and dealing with that luck is way different from Battle "Hates You Forever" Frontier

Get unlucky in a person battle, what happens? Nothing. You lose. Go fight another.
Get unlucky in a frontier/facility? Your entire streak is down the drain. This was exceptionally awful in Emerald, iirc.

And there are SO MANY ways it can go wrong! Maybe they just send JUST THE RIGHT pokemon to screw your day. Maybe they get that crit when they need it every time. Maybe they hit you with status. Maybe all the coin flips fall the wrong way. Maybe they pull out the OHKO moves.

If there was one thing I liked about the PWT, it was that it was no more than 3 rounds and there was an incredibly limited pool of pokemon/trainers to draw from

e: DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BATTLE POINTS AND THE AWFUL NO GOOD SHOP
It's probabilistic math. Or whatever you want to call it. For you the player, "winning" means winning 100 matches in a row and for the computer "winning" means winning just 1 match before you lose 100. Accomplishing your goal as the player means you need to rely on consistent strategies that will get the job done 100 out of 100 times. But that's not the case for the computer who has nothing to lose from losing, lol. So the format basically allows the computer to abuse all the rng strategies hated in "competitive world." If you have to fight 100 Illumise with Prankster + Swagger, or even just a bunch of Confuse Ray Crobats odds are that over the course of 100 battles all your Pokemon will beat themselves to death one time. Or at least enough so that the two things after Illumise will clean up. You as the player can't go into battles with the same attitude. Your strategy needs to work every time.

Basically all rng luck based strategies are super super obnoxious in battle frontier because even if the rng was actually skewed in the players favor the simple format of how you "win" vs how the computer "wins" means luck based things blow.

Last edited:
It's probabilistic math. Or whatever you want to call it. For you the player, "wining" means wining 100 matches in a row and for the computer "winning" means winning just 1 match before you lose 100. Accomplishing your goal as the player means you need to rely on consistent strategies that will get the job done 100 out of 100 times. But that's not the case for the computer who has nothing to lose from losing, lol. So the format basically allows the computer to abuse all the rng strategies hated in "competitive world." If you have to fight 100 Illumise with Prankster + Swagger, or even just a bunch of Confuse Ray Crobats odds are that over the course of 100 battles all your Pokemon will beat themselves to death one time. Or at least enough so that the two things after Illumise will clean up. You as the player can't go into battles with the same attitude. Your strategy needs to work every time.

Basically all rng luck based strategies are super super obnoxious in battle frontier because even if the rng was actually skewed in the players favor the simple format of how you "win" vs how the computer "wins" means luck based things blow.
I think why we're all hot and bothered about a new Battle Froniter (or lack of) is with all the less frustrating innovations of PWT and the Battle Maison we'd like to see what they could do with the Frontier with the upgrades. As the Battle Maison board can tell you, Triples is really fun because of the 6v6 format minimizing the effects of bad luck, and BP on every match makes the shop rewards less of a burden to get (and being able to stop anytime in a streak is really handy).

Yeah, the original Frontier was a mixed bag first attempt. Some were really fun (Pyramid, Pike, Dome, Castle, Hall) but some were really really frustrating (the Palace overall, why why WHY make an entire zone with zero player control?!).

I just thought of something that I think would be really cool, but forgive me if I might be misunderstanding the mechanics of the dark clouds.

What if those clouds you enter (to battle the lengendaries) actually take you to their respective region, but ONLY to capture that legendary? For example, what if Reshiram/Zekrom's clouds took you to N's castle, but you were restricted only to the castle? For Dialga/Palkia, what if you were taken to the Spear Pillar, but could only stay there?

I think that'd be a great way to give the fans who want to visit multiple regions at least a little bit of that wish (and imagine those places mentioned above in 3D!). Plus, it means that the legendaries you capture will have their respective "native" region in their summary AND still keep the pentagon for battle spot purposes. :)

Tory

Banned deucer.
I think why we're all hot and bothered about a new Battle Froniter (or lack of) is with all the less frustrating innovations of PWT and the Battle Maison we'd like to see what they could do with the Frontier with the upgrades. As the Battle Maison board can tell you, Triples is really fun because of the 6v6 format minimizing the effects of bad luck, and BP on every match makes the shop rewards less of a burden to get (and being able to stop anytime in a streak is really handy).

Yeah, the original Frontier was a mixed bag first attempt. Some were really fun (Pyramid, Pike, Dome, Castle, Hall) but some were really really frustrating (the Palace overall, why why WHY make an entire zone with zero player control?!).
Honestly, I would like them to remove the Battle Palace and replace it with 2 - 4 different battle buildings :)

2 questions,

1. it says for 3DS AND 2DS but I heard it was only for 3DS, which is true?
2. is a secret base kind of like pokemon diamond amd pearls underground house where other people can come to your base?

2 questions,

1. it says for 3DS AND 2DS but I heard it was only for 3DS, which is true?
2. is a secret base kind of like pokemon diamond amd pearls underground house where other people can come to your base?
1. The 2DS is part of the 3DS family of systems. You can play it on either one. You can't, however, play it on an original Nintendo DS or DSi.
2. Yes! The Secret Bases from Diamond and Pearl were based off of the ones from Ruby and Sapphire. ORAS is combining the Ruby and Sapphire-style secret bases with the Diamond and Pearl-style capture the flag gimmick to create the Super Secret Bases.

Hope I helped!

Believe it or not, that's the glory and challenge of the Frontier, and it gives us countless hours of intense gameplay.
What's the fun in playing a game if you know you'll win every time? If you lose, stand back up and build another streak.
Complaining about luck in a Pokemon game is still pathetic, no matter what kind of battle you're doing.
There's a difference between "challenging" and baby easy i know i'm going to win

I'll bring up the PWT again because I like that one.
It's short, to the point. It's somewhat predictable, but not completely. Luck is still a huge factor BUT it's easier to plan a team and try to work against the themed trainers. Those teams all have pretty solid movesets, items, IVs, etc, so they are on their own pretyt challenging. If I lose it's frustrating but the short period makes it not as bad.

Compare getting to streak 7 and WOOPS everything went awful on trainer #4. Now go spend the several hours doing that again. Where is the fun in that. Yeah you can't prepare for everything, and you shouldn't, but the facilities have the "Cheating Asshole" banner burned into them for a reason.
If I ever win it's less "ah yes, i've formed a solid team and overcame all [possibly by the skin of my teeth] through solid play. How fun!" its "God damn I hate these computers and the only reason I won was because the rng shined on me"
The time you put into it isn't worth the result. It's why I loathe the bulk of the frontier unless they drastically change things up (I also enjoyed the Battle...Hall, I think. Short 1 on 1 bouts and you have some form of control over what you fight) or reigned in the scope. How about streaks of 5? How about specific sets of trainers for assorted streaks?

The Delta Episode will probably be easy, but at least it will be interesting; same logic as the 40 hours i spent on the main game. The legendary hunt will at least get me to explore & find a team set up to weather the storm even if the legendary battles themselves have a wide assortment of problems that the series desperately needs to fix.

There's a difference between "challenging" and baby easy i know i'm going to win

I'll bring up the PWT again because I like that one.
It's short, to the point. It's somewhat predictable, but not completely. Luck is still a huge factor BUT it's easier to plan a team and try to work against the themed trainers. Those teams all have pretty solid movesets, items, IVs, etc, so they are on their own pretyt challenging. If I lose it's frustrating but the short period makes it not as bad.

Compare getting to streak 7 and WOOPS everything went awful on trainer #4. Now go spend the several hours doing that again. Where is the fun in that. Yeah you can't prepare for everything, and you shouldn't, but the facilities have the "Cheating Asshole" banner burned into them for a reason.
If I ever win it's less "ah yes, i've formed a solid team and overcame all [possibly by the skin of my teeth] through solid play. How fun!" its "God damn I hate these computers and the only reason I won was because the rng shined on me"
The time you put into it isn't worth the result. It's why I loathe the bulk of the frontier unless they drastically change things up (I also enjoyed the Battle...Hall, I think. Short 1 on 1 bouts and you have some form of control over what you fight) or reigned in the scope. How about streaks of 5? How about specific sets of trainers for assorted streaks?

The Delta Episode will probably be easy, but at least it will be interesting; same logic as the 40 hours i spent on the main game. The legendary hunt will at least get me to explore & find a team set up to weather the storm even if the legendary battles themselves have a wide assortment of problems that the series desperately needs to fix.
At the very least, I'd expect they'll still maintain the idea of being able to interrupt your streak after every battle, and not have to go for 5/7/however many for that facility you have to without a break. Sadly, I still expect that the rewards will be handed out after every battle, making the whole thing take a little longer.

I wonder if mega lati@s brother will be the only pokemon for fly manual of all hoenn...it make me wonder if someone decide to trade it .
Good point, given that Gamefreak takes many steps to prevent locking the player out of content (or trapping themselves), you'd figure either the Lati@s will be untradable+unreleasable or because 'soaring' seems to be triggered by an item, if you release your lati@s, they'll still come by to give you rides.

...and if that's the case, what a good friend.

Good point, given that Gamefreak takes many steps to prevent locking the player out of content (or trapping themselves), you'd figure either the Lati@s will be untradable+unreleasable or because 'soaring' seems to be triggered by an item, if you release your lati@s, they'll still come by to give you rides.

...and if that's the case, what a good friend.
It's likely that Lati@s isn't actually required to soar, just the eon flute...thing. After all, you'll likely need to trade for the one you don't get given like Latias in Omega Ruby to complete even the Hoenn dex, and you can't do that if they can't be traded. (unless you somehow get the Eon Ticket once that goes live)

Meh, i dont think than the delta episode would be good, GF is bad with arguments and the likes (and the dificult is always very low). And legendarys hunt sounds boring to me, i already complete the dex many times, i have no reasons to catch them again. I only want the game because the nostalgia and competitive things. The battle frontier is the only decent challange than the game can give, and you cannot know when you can lose, making everything better, when i lose i want to feel the lose, not like the games of this days than make you start from the last step. I not even have much hate agaisnt the RNG, the battle palace is manageable when you know how it works, and is one of my favourites parts of the Battle Frontier, that make you feel than a bit is a life form.

We don't exactly know which mega-stones will be available in each yet.

Theories range from it being in both, being in Sapphire only, or being in the opposite game Ruby (ala Zekrom in White and Reshiram in Black). But honestly, nobody knows. Yet.

This is the exact reason I haven't pre-ordered a copy.
Edit: and Cainchin sniped me. ;)
Thanks. I went with Sapphire, and told a friend who pre-ordered Ruby that we would make a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)