XY OU Full stall (and my first RMT)

Hey guys! This is my first RMT (and for that matter my first post in these forums), so I would greatly appreciate any constructive criticism.

My team is intended to be completely focused on stall, so most of its members have very limited attacking moves. Without further ado, here it is:

First off, Forretress, my usual lead:

Team Forretress 2 (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

This is my hazard setter, and remover (with Rapid Spin). Forretress's effectiveness is obviously dependent on the team matchup; if the opponent has an obvious fire lead (e.g. MegaZard, and no other lead pokemon like Scolipede, Azelf, TTar, etc.) then leading with Forretress is not the best idea. In these cases, I can often bring it into play later - if the opponent lacks a rapid spinner/defogger, and the game starts to draw out into a stall vs stall battle (e.g. against mixed teams with a penchant towards stalling and status conditions), then setting up even a couple spike layers mid-game can do wonders in accumulated damage through the numerous switches that the opponent is likely to execute.

Often, if the opponent has no poison pokemon and doesn't lead with a fire-type, Forretress's sole role may consist of setting up a layer of toxic spikes as the opponent switches to something that can ohko forretress, then setting up a second layer thanks to sturdy. This alone can be extremely useful.

Finally, once I do set up hazards, my Mew (covered later) can Roar repeatedly if given the opportunity to rack up significant damage and/or spread the poisoning through the opponent's team.

Rapid spin is rapid spin; in practice, Forretress often ends up being a suicide lead, but not always. (If it does die, most of my team shrugs off SR, and I've got Venusaur against toxic spikes). I've tried various moves for the 4th slot, and Rapid Spin seems to be the one I use the most really. (Sticky Web would have been amazing, but oh well.)

tl;dr: sets up hazards, and is kinda suicidal. Also not good against special threats, though can usually survive at least two hits to set up decent spikes or full toxic spikes.

F-ew (Mew) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heal Bell
- Roost

My Mew has been designed to work in conjunction with Forretress. Roar in particular is obviously extremely useful if a lot of hazards are up on the opponent's side.

The reason it's holding Focus Sash (rather than, say, lefties) is also to combat a problem with taking the time to set up hazards with Forretress: the opponent may set up, often to +6 atk/Satk (hoping to sweep my whole team with one pokemon, which isn't really an unrealistic hope with a free setup like that). If that happens, I simply let them kill my Forretress once they're done, then bring in my Mew, survive with Focus Sash and Roar them away. Bam, they have full hazards on their side and are screwed.

WoW-ing my opponents is also an important role of Mew's: most of my team runs Toxic, so a) against Steel/Poison types, and b) against physical attackers I need to cripple, WoW is invaluable. Given, however, that my Mew is specially defensive, care needs to be taken when switching into a physical threat with the intention to burn it. (In fact, perhaps I should change the EV spread to physically defensive for that sole purpose?)

Heal Bell is Heal Bell, duh. Mew is the only pokemon on my team that could learn it, while more than half my team is immune to poisoning, burns can be pretty annoying, especially on Ferrothorn. The only thing to keep in mind is that if my Gliscor's Toxic Orb got knocked off or somehow removed, this move should NOT be used, for obvious reasons.

tl;dr: Roars when hazards are set up. If the opponent sets up on forretress, sack it, bring in mew, then focus sash + roar to phaze out the would-be sweeper. WoW to cripple some physical attackers and to inflict damaging status on Steel/poison types. Heal Bell for support.

Alomomolomolomomolola (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Alomomolomolomomolola serves three main purposes: to tank damage, to provide Wish support, and to check Fire types (like Zard).

Its pretty insane HP lets it tank almost anything not super-effective. Thanks to Regenerator, it can be a huge pain to kill if it only switches in to knock something off or wish, then immediately switches back out.

Knock off is there because nobody else on my team has it, and it's a useful move to cripple item strategies - and if you get lucky, you might knock off a toxic/flame orb off a pokemon that relied on it for something. (Unpoisoned Gliscors with virtually no recovery, yay!) Wish+protect is a pretty standard combination; it can be used to stall out a poisoned pokemon, or to heal another weakened party member by switching out after wishing (while simultaneously restoring 30% of Alomomolomo... fine, I'l stop, Alomomola's HP thanks to Regenerator). Toxic because why not, and there really isn't anything else useful I could put in the last moveslot. (The abysmal attack stats mean Alomomola is pretty much doomed to be a purely support pokemon.)

There are two reasons I chose Alomomola over Chansey: the first one being Regenerator, but the main one being its type. Half my team is weak to Fire, of which two pokemon are 4x weak; Venusaur has Thick Fat, but is very vulnerable if MegaZard is brought in early game and my Saur isn't mega-evolved yet. Gliscor can stall out MegaZard, but may not be able to afford the turn required to toxic it, making PP-stalling its only effective strategy; the best Mew can do is Roar the threat out, losing a good amount of health in the process. Alomomola is my check to Fire-types, and MegaZard in particular.

Stall, lel (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Now we move on to the actual stall core of my team. Mega Venusaur's main strategy is putting opponents to sleep, setting up Leech Seed, then stalling with Giga Drain + Synthesis. It helps if the opponent is already either burned or poisoned, or it can work the other way around - setting up Leech Seed then switching into, say, Gliscor, who will provide poisoning and Sub+Protect stalling, while the opponent is still sleeping.

Not much else to say about this, other than stall, lel. Of course it's weak to psychic and flying, so that's something to keep in mind - and it's completely ineffective against Grass types, forcing it to switch out.

Pet me! (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Ah yes, your usual stall Ferrothorn. With Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet, inflicts about 25% recoil damage onto anybody making contact.

Unfortunately, his only form of recovery is through Leech Seed. Protect is there to allow Thorn to stall out an additional turn and recover a bit more HP; it also works great if the opposing pokemon has already been poisoned/burned by somebody else on my team (or by toxic spikes).

Curse+Gyro Ball: I don't think I need to explain that. Even one or two curses are enough to guarantee max 150 power GB against nearly every other pokemon, and +2 atk stab 150 power is a force to be reckoned with.

The reason the EV spread and nature favour mixed physical and special defense is that Thorn's SpD stat is actually quite high, and has the potential to, say, survive a focus blast to retaliate with a Gyro Ball if near full health. Besides, the barbs and helmet combo punish most physical attackers quite a bit already, so most will hesitate to simply attack all-out. (Also, the current defense is enough to survive a superpower from mega-scizor with a decent amount of health, and that's saying something.)

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
- Ice Fang

And last but not least, SubProtect Gliscor. The one pokemon that has made opponents ragequit simply upon switch-in. (Granted, that wasn't high up in the ladder, but still.)

I don't think I need to say much about him. Except perhaps Ice Fang: I chose that over EQ because nothing is immune to Ice Fang, whereas something like Skarmory might render EQ Gliscor completely useless and forced to switch out. Another important reason is the 10% chance to freeze: this has allowed me to deal pretty well with things like Scolipede, who sets up for a thousand turns without me risking any damage. Provided the hax are on my side. Also, the coverage seems better suited to my team - things like opposing gliscors and dragonites can be hit with 4x effectiveness.

The speed EVs are there to outspeed a decent amount of pokemon when using Substitute, which makes indefinite sub+protect stalling that much easier.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my OU stall team. I think I may have gone overboard with the descriptions: do tell me if that's the case, and I may shorten it. Of course this team is vulnerable to Taunt carriers, but dealing with that would require more of a mixed approach; the whole point of this team is all-out stall, which is inherently weak to Taunt. Still, facing a taunter is not an automatic loss in this case - I've had a few pretty close battles, even against teams with two taunters.

Finally, I might mention two candidates I used for a time on my team: Clefable (Magic Guard + cosmic power + stored power) and SpD Umbreon (Wish+Protect, Heal Bell, Foul Play/Toxic).
The former got replaced for two reasons: 1) I came to dislike the strategy, seeing as it can mean an automatic win if your opponent is nor prepared OR a waste of time and a huge hassle if they are. And 2), it's more of a setup pokemon than a true staller. Both of these reasons meant that most of the battles, I'd go without really using Clefable, only to sack it in a tight spot for the benefit of some other pokemon or strategy.
The latter got replaced simply because Alomomola does the same job, and better. Heal Bell was moved to Mew, replacing Substitute which I never used anyway.

Thank you for reading this (unexpectedly, even for me) lengthy RMT, and I look forward to hearing your feedback!

EDIT: crud, the attached files are showing up. The in-built file upload was acting up and consistently failing for the Gliscor, Alomomola and Ferrothorn sprites for no apparent reason, then the three that did work showed up wonky in the preview, so I switched to imgur for all six... Any advice?

Attachments

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why does it seem like almost every RMT needs to be bumped once before somebody rates it?
I know your pain man

I suggest replacing Ice Fang on Gliscor with Knock Off to help it stall out pokemon with Leftovers faster than if you use Ice Fang. Also, Curse Ferrothorn is poorly suited for the team. I suggest using a more defensive set, I suggest this one:

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

I have gone with Shed Shell and Spikes as they aid Ferrothorn and stall teams a lot, the former stopping Magnezone from trapping and KOing Ferrothorn with HP Fire and the latter letting chip damage rack up fast. This means that the team has an easier job setting up Spikes multiple times throughout the match. You could use Stealth Rock if you feel that it is more important to get Volcarona and Flying-types such as Talonflame, Staraptor and Charizard, but Spikes are generally better for their general utility.

As you are using Forretress as a suicide lead, may I suggest using Mental Herb over Leftovers so that it isn't prevented from setting up hazzards by Taunt. Additionally, as you are now using Spikes Ferrothorn may I suggest using Volt Switch over Spikes as the momentum is really nice for forcing switches by going into a check for their switch-in, increasing the damage they take from entry hazzards.

Aside from that, this team is very solid. Good job, and I hope you find my suggestions useful :]

Why does it seem like almost every RMT needs to be bumped once before somebody rates it?
I know your pain man
See? Nothing for several days, I bump and bam! A reply withing a few hours. XD

Anyway, you are probably right about knock off. Having two mons know that move might help quite a bit with vandalising the opponent's held items.

Regarding Ferrothorn, I haven't yet had a single problematic encounter with Magnezone. Perhaps it is more prevalent higher up in the ladder (I mostly hover around 1300 or so), but I feel like protection against losing my Ferrothorn once every (very long) while to a stray magnezone would be less beneficial than all the damage inflicted by Rocky Helmet. The current setup makes using contact moves against my Ferro really crippling, whereas Iron Barbs alone is more of an annoyance.

I think Spikes is actually a pretty good idea; however, could you please elaborate why exactly is the Curse set not well suited for my team? Regardless, in practice, Forretress would often die after setting up a couple layers of Toxic Spikes and maybe rocks or a single spike layer, during which time the opponent would have switched to a special sweeper and killed it off. So having a backup Spike setter would probably be a big help.
(SR, being a single layer hazard, is much easier to set up with Forretress and also only really useful against a few select threats - like Zard or Talonflame. So yeah, Spikes would probably be better.)

Now about the Mental Herb: that sounds like a really good idea... Except I've never used one in practice before. I feel kinda stupid for that. XP But that brings me to ask the question, is it really that useful? Being single-use, wouldn't the opponent just Taunt me again on the next turn? Although perhaps even the single extra turn would be useful.
Don't most Taunters run Defog/Rapid Spin anyway? I have Mandibuzz in mind mostly (defogger), perhaps most Sableyes/Gengars/Random unusual taunters don't.

And finally, regarding Volt Switch: Forretress being a really slow pokemon, would it really be beneficial? If they switch into a hard counter like Talonflame, then I'll either die before getting to move at all, or - if I was at full health - survive with one HP, in which case setting up an extra hazard layer would seem to be more beneficial than saving a really slow pokemon with 1 HP. The only way for it to be useful later on in the battle is if I used Wish and sacked my Alomomola to safely bring in and heal my forretress, which just wouldn't be worth it the vast majority of the time.
If they bring in something like special Greninja, who would deal a lot of damage by bypassing my physical defences, the same argument still stands - the choice is between dealing some extra damage after taking a lot of damage myself, then switching out, or setting up an extra hazard layer then dying (or switching out manually). Most of the time I'd chose the latter, or simply switching out by hand into something that can resist the opponent's most likely attack (usually Alomomola).

Anyway, thank you very much for the rating! It certainly helped a lot. Also glad to know someone actually approves of my team, since in practice I never managed to rise too high on the ladder. (I blame Taunt. XD)

EDIT: Also, I just realised. Why invest that much into Ferro's SpD? Sassy nature and 168 EVs is quite a bit more than what I have currently.

Last edited:
I'll see what I can do
Hello there, welcome to Smogon and great team.

Unfortunately I can see you struggling against Taunt 3 attacks Gengar, Venusaur and Gliscor do not have many useful moves against him, neither Gliscor ev Spread allows him to take two shadow balls from him, Mega Heracross can also easily kill your entire team after a swords dance, while sadly, he has many chances to set up
Mega Gardevoir is also another threat for you, you don't have any answers for it, and the only two pokemon that can take an Hyper Voice are weak to psyshock and Focus Blast respectively.

So, where does that take us.
The first step I'd suggest you is to change Ferrothorn for Doublade, you don't really need Ferrothorn here since you already have Forretress and Venusaur in it, while Doublade allows you to keep rapid spin Starmie in check, while also checking a great deal of stuff that can give you problems such as megaheracross, terrakion, hp fire latios (hp fire fails to 2hko), mega gardevoir, mega pinsir and so on, it should also be noted that doublade cannot be trapped by magnet pull or shadow tag.

The next step I'd suggest you is change Gliscor's current set to a Special Defensive one this allows you to have a great answer against both taunt 3 attacks gengar and landorus-incarnate, two of the biggest threat a stall can have.

Also, you don't really need Heal Bell on Mew with all these recoveries and Poison Heal Gliscor on it, you may find Taunt and Leftovers more useful, this way you act as an okay stallbreaker, who may also taunt slower taunt users like Mandibuzz, Skarmory etc.

The last change I'd suggest you is to change Forretress and give Stealth Rocks to Gliscor, now, with the buffed defog, stall teams have a very hard time keeping up all these layers, and it's not really worth it in high level play, especially if you're using something that cannot scare away lati@s ou premier defoggers (basically spikes greninja, which, for obvious reasons has no place in stall teams).

Your team also have some troubles against Charizard Y, nothing can take a boosed Fire Blast from it, Alomomola is 2hked by fire blast, or straight up ohkoed by Solar Beam, that's why I would suggest you Defensive Latias, whom may seem as a strange choice but it allows you to gain an additional check to Landorus-incarnate, Charizard-y, Keldeo and so on while still having a way to clear hazards on the field.

Sets:

Doublade (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Sleep Talk

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Hope it helped, good luck!

Last edited:
You're playing Subprotectoxic Gliscor, you don't deserve any comment. You deserve to be left alone in a dark room until you die of thirst.

Hmm, yeah. i do believe that this team is rather hard to play with.

Enki has some good points though. Doublade and latias are great walls, but you also need some sweepers.

Knock off/taunt on mew>heal bell, and maybe switch ferrothorn to azumarill or cloyster, as they both are strong against fire and ice.

imo dont run sub+protect. use Protect, Earthquake, Knock off/Ice fang, Toxic

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think Spikes is actually a pretty good idea; however, could you please elaborate why exactly is the Curse set not well suited for my team?
Curse Ferrothorn is better suited to more offensive teams rather than stall. Ferrothorn's niche on stall is the ability
Now about the Mental Herb: that sounds like a really good idea... Except I've never used one in practice before. I feel kinda stupid for that. XP But that brings me to ask the question, is it really that useful? Being single-use, wouldn't the opponent just Taunt me again on the next turn? Although perhaps even the single extra turn would be useful.
Its better to get up one layer of hazards vs Taunt leads than being immediately taunted on a team like yours IMO. Additionally, the lack of an offensive move makes Forretress complete Taunt bait, making the item that much more useful. You're using it in a very Shuckle-esque way, which is why Mental Herb is so valuable on this particular set.
Don't most Taunters run Defog/Rapid Spin anyway? I have Mandibuzz in mind mostly (defogger), perhaps most Sableyes/Gengars/Random unusual
taunters don't.
I've been seeing an increase in the usage of Taunt Gyarados on the ladder recently, as well as a rise in the number of Azelf users, so Forretress is going to greatly benefit from an extra turn before being taunted.
And finally, regarding Volt Switch: Forretress being a really slow pokemon, would it really be beneficial? If they switch into a hard counter like Talonflame, then I'll either die before getting to move at all, or - if I was at full health - survive with one HP, in which case setting up an extra hazard layer would seem to be more beneficial than saving a really slow pokemon with 1 HP. The only way for it to be useful later on in the battle is if I used Wish and sacked my Alomomola to safely bring in and heal my forretress, which just wouldn't be worth it the vast majority of the time.
If they bring in something like special Greninja, who would deal a lot of damage by bypassing my physical defences, the same argument still stands - the choice is between dealing some extra damage after taking a lot of damage myself, then switching out, or setting up an extra hazard layer then dying (or switching out manually). Most of the time I'd chose the latter, or simply switching out by hand into something that can resist the opponent's most likely attack (usually Alomomola).
A slow Volt Switch is a really great asset on a team like this as it is good to go into something and cause your opponent to make another switch, taking more chip damage from entry hazzards in the process. Additionally, I tried out the team and I often had Forretress at around half health mid-game, and it isn't only going to be healed by Wish form Alomomola. It is also going to be healing from Leech Seed, which will be up most of the time, and Forretress has a rather easy time coming in multiple times throughout the match if you preserve it instead of suiciding. I think playing it a little differently will actually get you higher on the ladder as Forretress has so much potential to come in multiple times to check physical attackers, most notably Ice-types - especially special attacking ones which Alomomola fails to check. Due to this, I am accually going to suggest that you change Forretress' spread to 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD to let you check them a little better.
Anyway, thank you very much for the rating! It certainly helped a lot. Also glad to know someone actually approves of my team, since in practice I never managed to rise too high on the ladder. (I blame Taunt. XD)
#MentalHerbFTW
EDIT: Also, I just realised. Why invest that much into Ferro's SpD? Sassy nature and 168 EVs is quite a bit more than what I have currently.
It allows you to live 2 Ice Beams from +3 Manaphy, who otherwise rips through the team.

You're playing Subprotectoxic Gliscor, you don't deserve any comment. You deserve to be left alone in a dark room until you die of thirst.
I'll take that as a compliment.
Why does it seem like almost every RMT needs to be tested before somebody rates it?
Damn nigga are you really using FOCUS FUCKING SASH on MEW???
I did test it. I've used this team for quite some time now.
The reason I have focus sash, as I explained above, is against people who set up while my Forretress takes its time doing its job. I've had to face +6 Atk/Spe charizards before, and it wasn't pretty. If I can survive with 1HP and Roar them away (which works through substitute, too), then they now have full hazards and lost all their set up. If I didn't have the sash, then they would just 6-0 my whole team without even having to switch once.
Also there's Roost for recovery. Base 100 speed, even with no EVs, comfortably outspeeds most slower mons, who usually don't invest in speed EVs anyway, so I can often recover - especially after getting a lucky phaze-in, e.g. a bulky special attacking mon with no supper-effective moves.

To everybody who made suggestions for changes: thank you for your feedback! I don't have time to test the changes respond to you right now, but hopefully tomorrow I will manage. (Life is kinda hectic atm ._.)

LOL. Seriously who let a Charizard set up 6 DD ? Man, you're playing stall, that's the playstyle which requires the greatest amount of skill (and intelligence). Take this like the best advice for your team: NEVER PLAY A FUCKING SASH ON A STALL MEW.

Btw, the additionnal speed is used to outspeed Jolly Breloom and taunt it before he spores you. It also allows you to outspeed jolly bisharp and adamant gyarados and burn them before all they could do.

Listen to the man upstairs. He's sad because of that Sash Mew.
If you let zard set up 6 DDs you've played it completely wrong. You phaze him out, and Mew's basically useless because he's at 1%, and will either die right after he roar'd, or on the next SRs. And what do you do against any Taunt set up sweeper ? You get 6-0 by them. Talonflame SD(/Bulk Up) + Taunt for instance can set up on everything and just 6-0's you. I'm not gonna mention every threat to your team, there are far too many.
Also, you're based on entry hazards and have no anti spin, no Defiant. Even if you somehow manage to set up everything, any hazard remover can safely remove them. Your team just doesn't work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)