XY OU Need an RMT for my final tweaks

Hey everyone. I was using this team for a while now (actually i started out with playing a few games, and finding checks and counters for threats against my team, and when it was done this was what came out), and i need someone to spot my weaknesses, cause I can no longer spot any. Any feedback would be great!

This team is mainly based off of Volt-Turn

Team Preview​
645.gif 113.gif 205.gif
132.gif 127.gif

Landorus @ Life orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid (+Spe -Atk)​
- Earth Power (Stab)
- Focus Miss (Coverage)
- Sludge Wave (More Coverage)
- HP Ice (EVEN MORE COVERAGE)​

Landorus is the core of the team. This guy can take out dragons setting up on Forretress and Chansey, while being able to OHKO or 2HKO almost everything with the coverage moves it has. After realizing that my team's sweepers are very weak, i decided to use forretress over skarmory and ferrothorn because of the access to volt switch.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold (+Def -Atk)​
- Wish (Medic)
- Protect (Scouting moves)
- Heal Bell (Heals Status)
- Seismic Toss (Prevent taunt bait)​

Just the regular set for chansey. Soft-boiled isn't necessary, as there is Wish, which also helps in healing my other pokemon when people expect protect right after a wish. Protect determines what scarfed users will use, like excadrill, latios, or terrakion, and will be able to safely switch into a more convenient match-up. Heal bell is needed, cause my team absolutely gets torn to pieces when my pinsir is burned, or any status for ditto. Seismic Toss for pokemon with less HP like manetric and Rotom-W

Forretress @ Leftovers (Might need shed shell)
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm (+SpD -Atk)​
- Stealth rock (Breaking Sturdy, and for fire teams)
- Spikes (Entry Hazards for teams without rapid spin/defog)
- Volt Switch (Switch into a sweeper)
- Rapid Spin (Clearing out hazards)​

This guy mainly be the guy switched in for knock off, or any physical attacker (or weak special attackers) in general. Spikes and Stealth rock for the damage, and to prevent my opponent from switching too often (I'm horrible at predicting switches). Volt switch is very helpful in for this team. Because Forretress is the second slowest pokemon in the meta, is great at allowing free switches into greninja, pinsir, landorus, or ditto.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly (+Spe -SpA)​
-Waterfall (Coverage)
-Rock Slide (Counter threats to team)
-U-turn (Switching)
-Shadow Sneak (Breaking breloom's sash, and also to stop OHKO mach punch)​

If you know the regular layout of Greninja, this one is fairly weird. What i find though, is that U-turn and Shadow Sneak is very good at steering momentum into my team. When those two moves are added into greninja's moveset, why not the rest? Rock slide is perfect for countering Charizard. Considering my team is very weak to fire, i need greninja to run Waterfall too. This allows greninja to take out potential threats and allow forretress to volt switch into a sweeper. Since greninja only checks a very narrow amount of pokemon, i usually switch into him when i need my landorus or pinsir to quickly clean up a sweeper.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie/Aerilate
EVs: 120 HP/ 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
-Swords Dance (Set-up on walls)
-Quick Attack (Priority and minor attack boost with moxie)
-Return (Stab attack)
-Earthquake (Great Coverage)

This is the regular Swords dance layout of Pinsir, Return for checks to my teams like Venusaur, and Chansey, and main STAB attack for anything that doesn't resist. With +2 Attack, Pinsir can defeat pokemon like Greninja, Weavile, or any prankster that doesn't resist. Earthquake is used for anything that Return doesn't hit effectively with.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP
Serious​
-Transform (Never even used lol)

Oh man, where to start with this bad boy? Overall, this is the punishment if my opponent sets up too much on my forretress or chansey. This thing doesn't work when a sub is in, which is another reason why i have volt switch, or when an ability (Or paralysis) changes the speed (I.E. Unburden , slow start).Since Hawlucha is in BL, and then hitmonlee is in RU, this guy is a guaranteed revenge killer.

Possible Threats
Charizard Mega X: My only counter for Charizard is Greninja.
Talonflame: Only idea atm is just using chansey as a tank to kill talonflame with recoil.
Ferrothorn: Can only be ended with Lando. Pinsir's gonna lose half its health due to iron barbs and LS

Any feedback is, again appreciated!
EDIT: lol all my attachments are here. Greninja and pinsir wont get uploaded for some reason, and i kept retrying.

EDIT 2: Sorry i didn't notice that lando had attack evs instead of sp attack. i changed it thx alfalfa

3 things i want to mention I put the IVs so that ditto can have HP ice when transformed. This is only for the case of thundurus when carrying hp ice and thunderbolt.

I put Frustration over return on my pinsir because of ditto.

I cut the Attack IVs to limit foul play and confuse damage

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP
Serious Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Sneak

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Happiness: 0
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Attachments

Last edited:
Hiya! I really like this team so far, and I have a few suggestions:
  • The first thing I noticed was that you were using Physical Greninja. Physical Greninja isn't a very viable option, only because pretty much all of its physical attacks are relatively weak and don't provide the same amount of coverage as a special set. If you need a physical sweeper to take care of Pokemon like Charizard-X and Talonflame, try Assault Vest Azumarill:
    Azumarill @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Aqua Jet
    - Play Rough
    - Knock Off
    - Waterfall
    This set aims at tanking hits and dishing out heavy damage. While it may seem strange to have Assault Vest and 240 HP EV's over Defense EVs (because Azumarill will be taking hits from Charizard and Talonflame), the added bulk will allow you to deal with physical attackers much more efficiently. Play Rough and Waterfall are mandatory STABs on Azumarill, Knock Off serving as a great utility and Aqua Jet taking care of weakened threats with priority. Although this set doesn't counter Charizard-X directly, it can switch in on many of its attacks and hit it hard. Here's some calculations:
    [*]252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 163-193 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    [*]252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 420-494 (141.4 - 166.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Unforunately, I can't provide a full rate because I'm on my phone. I'll take a second look at the team later, though! Hope I helped!
Good luck on your team! =)

If Landorus is running just Special Attacks, then why is it running a Jolly Nature and maximum attack investment? This was likely an accident on your part. For now, switch it to Timid Nature and 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe. When I give this a full rate later, I might recommend Knock Off and a Naive nature, I just do not have the time to give you a full rate at the moment.

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
Once I glanced at the team, I immediately noticed a Talonflame weakness (I didn't look at the threatlist beforehand). The suggestion I have to make to pretty much stop Talonflame from sweeping through your team is replacing Forretress with Heatran as your Stealth Rocker, since it counters Talonflame (unless shit HP ground variants and Ground-type Natural Gift smh). Heatran can also help deal with the apparent weakness in your team once CM Clefable sets up and your Chansey is weakened and Ditto is dead, since CM Clef once at +3, takes Landorus' Sludge Wave like a champ, and CM Clef has the ability to set up on Greninja, Chansey and Forretress.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Lava Plume and Stealth Rock are pretty much standard on SR Heatran. Now, let me explain the other two move choices, Taunt and Toxic. Taunt helps stop set-up with mons like CM Clef and SD Talonflame. Toxic helps you wear down walls/tanks like Rotom-W, Landorus-Therian, Chansey, etc, as you predict the switch-in, and you can Taunt Chanseys to stop them from using Heal Bell or any other support moves like Wish.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. +3 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 143-169 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Greninja Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 93-111 (23.6 - 28.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 252 HP Clefable: 100-100 (25.3 - 25.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 4 SpA Clefable Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 365-430 (56.8 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You might be asking, why am I posting a calc of Clefable using Stored Power, since the standard set of CM Clef that is often seen is:
Calm Mind/Moonblast/Flamethrower/Softboiled. Well, Stored Power is sometimes used on CM Clef to beat opposing CM Clefs and walls like Chansey, and therefore becomes relevant to calc for.

Now time to cover hazard removal. With Forretress removed, there is absolutely no way of getting rid of hazards from your side of the field at all. For this, I would like to suggest replacing Chansey for Latias with Defog Support. At this point, you might be questioning this change, since Chansey is your answer to stuff like Mega Manectric and Greninja. Since Mega Manectric can pretty much be handled by Heatran, I will cover how you are going to handle Greninja later. Now, time to move on to the set

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

This spread ensures that you always take less than 40% from Mega Manectric's HP Ice to retaliate with a Draco Meteor to heavily dent/kill it, and you can take an Ice Beam from Greninja at full if need be to kill it off with Draco Meteor.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 108-128 (33.6 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 260-307 (80.9 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Next change that I am going to suggest is Rotom-W over Ditto. The reason why I am suggesting this change is because Ditto is pretty unreliable in my opinion since the opponent is never going to set up if they see a Ditto on your team, simple as that. Rotom-W can help you deal with both Scarf Landorus-Therian and Greninja, both of which are big threats to your team. Rotom-W pretty much does not care about what Landorus-Therian hits it with, although Knock Off can be pesky at times since Rotom-W then loses turn per turn recovery, and Rotom-W can beat Greninja if it isn't weakened since if Greninja runs a Grass-type attack, it is most of the times Grass Knot > HP Grass, for the ability to hit Gyarados-Mega harder, but that does pitiful damage to Rotom-W, since it is pretty light and Grass Knot is a weight-based attack.

Here's the set:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

With all the changes thus far making your team full of special attackers, I would say running AV Azumarill>Greninja as Lunistrius suggested is a good idea, since Azumarill provides physical presence for your team, and it can be another way to go about beating Greninja, since AV Azumarill takes all of Greninja's hits pretty nicely, and can retaliate with a Play Rough.

A move change that I would suggest is running Close Combat > Earthquake on Mega Pinsir. With Aegislash gone from the tier, the only thing that Earthquake hits harder is pretty much Mega Manectric, while Close Combat can hit stuff like BalloonTran and Ferrothorn harder

Test these few changes out, and let me know what you feel/think of them.

Last edited:
Once I glanced at the team, I immediately noticed a Talonflame weakness (I didn't look at the threatlist beforehand). The suggestion I have to make to pretty much stop Talonflame from sweeping through your team is replacing Forretress with Heatran as your Stealth Rocker, since it counters Talonflame (unless shit HP ground variants and Ground-type Natural Gift smh). Heatran can also help deal with the apparent weakness in your team once CM Clefable sets up and your Chansey is weakened and Ditto is dead, since CM Clef once at +3, takes Landorus' Sludge Wave like a champ, and CM Clef has the ability to set up on Greninja, Chansey and Forretress.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Lava Plume and Stealth Rock are pretty much standard on SR Heatran. Now, let me explain the other two move choices, Taunt and Toxic. Taunt helps stop set-up with mons like CM Clef and SD Talonflame. Toxic helps you wear down walls/tanks like Rotom-W, Landorus-Therian, Chansey, etc, as you predict the switch-in, and you can Taunt Chanseys to stop them from using Heal Bell or any other support moves like Wish.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. +3 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 143-169 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Greninja Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 93-111 (23.6 - 28.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 252 HP Clefable: 100-100 (25.3 - 25.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 4 SpA Clefable Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 365-430 (56.8 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You might be asking, why am I posting a calc of Clefable using Stored Power, since the standard set of CM Clef that is often seen is:
Calm Mind/Moonblast/Flamethrower/Softboiled. Well, Stored Power is sometimes used on CM Clef to beat opposing CM Clefs and walls like Chansey, and therefore becomes relevant to calc for.

Now time to cover hazard removal. With Forretress removed, there is absolutely no way of getting rid of hazards from your side of the field at all. For this, I would like to suggest replacing Chansey for Latias with Defog Support. At this point, you might be questioning this change, since Chansey is your answer to stuff like Mega Manectric and Greninja. Since Mega Manectric can pretty much be handled by Heatran, I will cover how you are going to handle Greninja later. Now, time to move on to the set

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

This spread ensures that you always take less than 40% from Mega Manectric's HP Ice to retaliate with a Draco Meteor to heavily dent/kill it, and you can take an Ice Beam from Greninja at full if need be to kill it off with Draco Meteor.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 108-128 (33.6 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 260-307 (80.9 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Next change that I am going to suggest is Rotom-W over Ditto. The reason why I am suggesting this change is because Ditto is pretty unreliable in my opinion since the opponent is never going to set up if they see a Ditto on your team, simple as that. Rotom-W can help you deal with both Scarf Landorus-Therian and Greninja, both of which are big threats to your team. Rotom-W pretty much does not care about what Landorus-Therian hits it with, although Knock Off can be pesky at times since Rotom-W then loses turn per turn recovery, and Rotom-W can beat Greninja if it isn't weakened since if Greninja runs a Grass-type attack, it is most of the times Grass Knot > HP Grass, for the ability to hit Gyarados-Mega harder, but that does pitiful damage to Rotom-W, since it is pretty light and Grass Knot is a weight-based attack.

Here's the set:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

With all the changes thus far making your team full of special attackers, I would say running AV Azumarill>Greninja as Lunistrius suggested is a good idea, since Azumarill provides physical presence for your team, and it can be another way to go about beating Greninja, since AV Azumarill takes all of Greninja's hits pretty nicely, and can retaliate with a Play Rough.

A move change that I would suggest is running Close Combat > Earthquake on Mega Pinsir. With Aegislash gone from the tier, the only thing that Earthquake hits harder is pretty much Mega Manectric, while Close Combat can hit stuff like BalloonTran and Ferrothorn harder

Test these few changes out, and let me know what you feel/think of them.
Actually, I think the spread is 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe on Rotom-W. Instead of the recommended Latias spread, I recommend 144 HP / 172 SpA / 252 Spe with Recover > Healing Wish, which allows you to avoid an OHKO from Life Orb Landorus-I's Knock Off after Stealth Rock, as well as allowing you to take hits much better.

I am not a fan of Ditto, I usually find trying to fit it in a waste of a teamslot, but if it works for you, then go ahead.

thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm gonna try out these suggestions, but unfortunately, the server is pretty glitchy right now.

Rotom imo is just another physical tank with some special defense evs. I think forretress does the job better. I also tried assault vest azumarill before and that didn't work out too much. Ill see if i can use heatran somehow on my team, because magnezone also wrecks havoc on my team (forgot to include him).

The physical greninja is something im gonna keep unless people keep telling me. but currently, the rock slide can catch people off guard.

ill switch ditto with rotom-W, cause thats a good counter to talonflame :)

Ill run close combat on pinsir, and switch forretress with heatran.

EDIT: i realized how useless greninja now once i got rid of forretress. ill try-out azumarill

Last edited:

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
micmacaroni The thing is, with Forretress gone from the team, you need Defog Support to support your team, mainly Mega Pinsir, by getting rid of Stealth Rock. I suggest switching Chansey up for Latias as suggested above since it can provide nice Defog Support and can provide more offensive presence for the team, which is always nice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)