Beer Thread

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

i'm too lazy to find a pic with all nine, but yeah baltika is one of my favorites. it's a little on the expensive side, but god damn its worth it. each one has a different flavor profile--ranging from really strong and hoppy to lightly bitter--, number 7 and 8 are my favorites.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
I prefer the darker ale/malt/stout beers that have a heavier body and taste. But I'm generally stuck in with Pilsener (aka Pissener) because that's what every beer is and it's cheaper.

Such is life.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, with a new season there's new seasonal beers. I just picked up a six pack of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, though I've also heard Sierra Nevada Celebration is very good.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
stuff in aus that's fairly available and isn't too bad

sierra nevada pale ale
karl strauss tower 10
weihenstephaner hefe
la trappe quadrupel
franziskaner hefe
feral hop hog ipa
bling ipa
grand ridge moonshine scotch ale
holgate mt macedon ipa
little creatures pale ale
wicked elf witbier
coopers best extra stout
chimay blue
rogue chocolate stout
pilsner urquell

i'd kill to try pliny the {younger,elder} and a ton of other american micros but it's ludicrously expensive to ship across the pacific :(

My mom got me a large assortment of beers to try at Christmas time last year. One that has really stuck with me is Crabbies Ginger Beer. It's a light beer but I can't get enough of it. Comes in regular, raspberry (the only beer my girlfriend will drink), and orange (may be delisted).

I like Belgian beers in general. Like Hoegaarden, Jupiler and Duvel. Also like Belgian style such as Rickard's White.

Although not the easiest to obtain back in the states, my personal favorite is by far Erdinger (Dunkel if you can some how find it). You can find it at select Specs it's just regulated so it doesn't have as much alcohol content, but nonetheless it's delicious. Another, much easier one is Stella Artois. And naturally Pilsner is always good. Basically, Europe knows how to make its beers.

stuff in aus that's fairly available and isn't too bad

sierra nevada pale ale
karl strauss tower 10
weihenstephaner hefe
la trappe quadrupel
franziskaner hefe
feral hop hog ipa
bling ipa
grand ridge moonshine scotch ale
holgate mt macedon ipa
little creatures pale ale
wicked elf witbier
coopers best extra stout
chimay blue
rogue chocolate stout
pilsner urquell

i'd kill to try pliny the {younger,elder} and a ton of other american micros but it's ludicrously expensive to ship across the pacific :(
I guess I should count myself blessed by the beer gods for only being an hour and a half's drive away from where Pliny is brewed. It definitely doesn't disappoint that's for sure. The place that brews Pliny also brews some really nice sours as well. However, the best IPA I think I have ever had is the Stone Enjoy By. The hop aroma coming off it is simply orgasmic.

Not too sure if you can get it in other countries apart from England but Boddingtons draught bitter and pub ale is pretty nice.

best japanese beer? getting ramen with friends soon. i like sapporo but i feel like there's a hidden gem i may not have discovered yet

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I seem to recall a couple of good Japanese beers, but the only thing that is coming to mind is Baird brewing.

Suruga Bay is pretty amazing.

They tend to do pretty outrageous beers though, if you want something a little more subtle I cant help you.

There's a lot more Australian beers around too mikel.. I tend to prefer NZ beers but I expect that is at least partially down to the fact that I know them better.

But one of my favourite NZ brewers recently became the new brewing team leader or something at Murray's so I thought I should give a special mention to them.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
x2

German beer is the best( i'm not german, btw)
*bavarian

I personally like Augustiner and Tegernseer as Lager, Hacker Pschorr Radler and the fabulous Pater Simon Pils. If you can ever get your hand on this, try one :)

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Canada, England, Mexico, and the US are all great beer nations as well, though Belgium and Germany are far ahead. Between the two of them, I'd have to give the slight edge to Belgium though.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier Choklat to take home. A lil pricey but it's supposedly very good, so I can't wait to try it.

I also bought a bottle of 120 Minute IPA but I'm probably gonna age that.

best Japanese beer? getting ramen with friends soon. i like sapporo but i feel like there's a hidden gem i may not have discovered yet
Sapporo is one my favorites, but Asahi and Kirin are great as well. Which brand of Sapporo did you have?

Others beers I've had that I would recommend asides from the aforementioned Nihonjin beers:

Tiger (Singapore)
Singha (Thai)
Chang (Thai)
Hoegaarden (Belgium)
Tsing Tao (Hong Kong)
Red Horse (Philippines, probably my favorite by far)
San Miguel (Philippines)
Dos Equis (Mexican)
Carlsberg (?)
Guinness (Irish, second favorite)
Kilkenny (Irish, third favorite)

I worked as a bartender for quite awhile and it really expanded my horizons drink-wise but even after that, I'm still not in love with beer; I really much prefer cider when it comes to low alcohol content drinks. If liquor, wine, cider etc are not on the menu, I favor stout.

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but it's worth repeating a million times: drinkware is important when you're drinking just about anything, at least if you're trying to savor and enjoy whatever it is. The aroma of a beverage can make a huge difference in the way it tastes, and the shape of a glass can help focus the scent towards your nose. Try pouring your favorite beer into a glass with a tulip shape next time you crack open a bottle. I know it seems like horseshit. Try it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)