Aurorus (QC 0/3)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is Amargasaurus. Poor Aurorus got the short end of the stick, though I guess Tyrantrum isn't that much better than it. Oh well, at least this Pokemon isn't unusable!

Overview
########
  • Crippled by really poor defensive typing (it combines the two worst defensive typings in the game)
  • Pretty slow, which worsens the above flaw
  • It's bulky but its typing offsets that mostly
  • Regardless, Aurorus has some things going for it
  • Hits pretty hard, and with Refrigerate it gets some pretty strong Ice-type moves in Nature Power, Return, and Facade
  • Has Rock Polish too, so it can sweep decently
  • Has decent coverage options too, like Thunderbolt
  • Can be decently effective and can be quite a threat, but will need significant support to do so

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Hyper Voice
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Freeze-Dry
move 4: Nature Power
ability: Refrigerate
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Hyper Voice is a very strong and reliable STAB move that hits extremely hard coming off of Aurorus.
  • Earth Power is a great coverage move that hits stuff like Pyroar, Typhlosion, and Magmortar hard along with Klinklang and the like
  • Freeze-Dry allows Aurorus to KO Samurott and also hit other Water-types like Lanturn
  • Nature Power becomes Tri Attack in battle so it's usable for a slightly weaker alternative that can potentially avoid Sucker Punch, but mainly also has side effects

Set Details
========
  • Max Special Attack and Speed is invested to allow Aurorus to wallbreak effectively despite its low Speed
  • Refrigerate makes Hyper Voice and Nature Power into strong STAB moves
  • Timid nature is preferable

Usage Tips
========
  • This set is all about the POWER: click one of Aurorus's Ice moves and proceed to simply hit hard
  • Allow Aurorus to come in safely (though Volt Switch from Rotom and the like), and then proceed to wreck. Make sure it is in on something that can't really take it down
  • Hyper Voice is what you will be clicking most of the time
  • Aurorus is still very slow even with maximum Speed investment, so keep in mind it is still quite easy to revenge kill

Team Options
========
  • Rotom and Scyther can use Volt Switch or U-turn to get Aurorus in safely, and also provide a Fighting resistance which is useful

Stealth Rock
########
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 4: Earth Power
item: Life Orb

Moves
========
  • Stealth Rock is a great move for any team, and Aurorus does a fine job at setting it up
  • Hyper Voice is a strong and reliable STAB move that also bypasses Subs
  • Freeze-Dry is a coverage STAB to hit Water-types like the prominent Feraligatr and Samurott
  • Earth Power hits Steel-types like Probopass hard
Set Details
========
  • Max Speed is needed so Aurorus can set up Rocks before slower mons can
  • Life Orb allows Aurorus to pack a punch after it has set up Rocks and pester teams for a bit
Usage Tips
========
  • Stealth Rock Aurorus is a decent lead, being able to set up Rocks decently well and can pose an offensive threat afterwards
  • With its movepool and decent power, Aurorus is also a decent anti-lead, as with Hyper Voice and Freeze-Dry, it can take down slower popular Stealth Rock users such as Rhydon and Seismitoad, respectively
  • Aurorus is mainly supposed to be used early in the game to set up early game Rocks and pose a threat
  • Note that Aurorus can threaten Defoggers such as Togetic and Mantine to a decent extent, as well as Xatu (who can bounce Rocks back)

Team Options
========
  • Claydol can remove entry hazards that wear down Aurorus really quickly
  • Heliolisk can take on Feraligatr and Samurott decently and also use Volt Switch to get Aurorus in. It stacks Fighting and Ground weaknesses though which can be an issue against Hariyama and Mega Steelix
  • Mesprit or Uxie have good defensive synergy with Aurorus and can take on stuff like Hariyama to a decent degree

Rock Polish
########
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Hyper Voice / Nature Power
move 4: Earth Power

Moves
========
  • Rock Polish patches up Aurorus's poor Speed and gives it enough Speed to sweep decently
  • Hyper Voice is a reliable STAB with Refrigerate that hits hard and bypasses Substitute which is always useful
  • Nature Power becomes Tri Attack in a Wi-Fi environment, so it serves as a powerful and reliable STAB move thanks to Refrigerate, which makes it Ice-type and boosts it by a good 30%, and also dodges Sucker Punch which can be nice against Cacturne
  • Freeze-Dry is useful to hit Feraligatr and Samurott hard
  • Earth Power is there as a second STAB to hit Fire-types like Pyroar, Magmortar, and Typhlosion along with Steel-types

Set Details
========
  • Max Special Attack and Speed along with Timid nature to sweep effectively
  • Life Orb gives Aurorus that extra power
  • Refrigerate is its only usable ability atm but it's useful to make Tri Attack strong

Usage Tips
========
  • This is a sweeper that intends to operate mid-late game to take out opposing teams
  • Set up when it can, possibly on something that can't hit it super effectively
  • Be wary of priority, as Aurorus is quite vulnerable to it

Team Options
========
  • Wallbreakers like Sawk and Pyroar are useful teammates to weaken counters to allow Aurorus to sweep, such as Mega Audino and Hariyama
  • Entry hazard support from the likes of Accelgor, Crustle, Mesprit, or Ferroseed is nice
  • Volt Switch or U-turn is nice to get Aurorus in safely-Heliolisk or Scyther can provide this very well
  • Dual Screens support may be useful as well, Uxie provides it quite nicely and has Memento as well
Physical Rock Polish
########
name: Physical Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Return
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Earthquake
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
########
  • Rock Polish again patches up Aurorus's poor Speed
  • Return is nice and reliable STAB thanks to Refrigerate, and it hits pretty hard even off of 77 Attack
  • Stone Edge is secondary STAB to hit Pyroar and Typhlosion as well as Cryogonal
  • Earthquake is nice to hit occasional Steel-type like Probopass and Metang

Set Details
########
  • Max Speed and Attack are needed
  • Life Orb gives a needed power boost
  • Jolly Nature since Aurorus is rather slow so extra speed for Rock Polish is nice
  • Adamant nature though is usable if you need that power

Usage Tips
########
  • Quite a nice lure for common answers to the special set such as Cryogonal
  • Can sweep somewhat decently in general thanks to good coverage and a passable (but not great) Attack
  • Functions as a sweeper with surprise factor
  • Again, this set is best used late-game

Team Options
########
  • Entry hazard support is advised, Mesprit, Ferroseed, and Crustle are good examples of this
  • Wallbreakers such as Pyroar, Mega Camerupt, and Sawk are nice to weaken teams for Aurorus to sweep, dampering down counters such as Cryogo and Hariyama

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Hyper Voice
move 2: Freeze-Dry
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Nature Power
item: Choice Scarf

Moves
========
  • Hyper Voice bypasses Subs and hits hard
  • Nature Power calls in Tri Attack, Refrigerate Tri Attack will hurt and it dodges Sucker Punch
  • Freeze-Dry hurts Feraligatr and Seismitoad
  • Earth Power hits Typhlosion and Pyroar hard and provides great complementary coverage with Aurorus's Ice-type moves.

Set Details
========
  • Maximum Speed is needed for Scarf, serves best as a revenge killer
  • Refrigerate allows Hyper Voice and Nature Power to become strong STAB

Usage Tips
========
  • This set serves as a revenge killer, taking down unboosted Lilligant, Vivillon, and Archeops
  • With three Ice-type moves it still does relatively well mostly using STAB to dent anything
  • Also serves as a good late-game sweeper after teams are weakened due to being reasonably fast after a Scarf boost and hitting fairly hard without having to set up with Rock Polish
Team Options
========
  • Entry hazard removal from the likes of Kabutops, Cryogonal, and Togetic can be useful since this set will be switching in and out multiple times, and Aurorus is vulnerable to all hazards, especially Stealth Rock
  • Mesprit can provide SR support and handle Hariyama decently
  • Wallbreakers like Sawk are again useful to take on counters such as Cryogonal

Other Options
########
  • Choice Scarf (might make this a set)
  • Physical Attacker
  • Toxic Orb+Facade (this is fun)
  • Thunderbolt but inferior to Freeze-Dry overall
  • Calm Mind
  • Thunder Wave

Checks and Counters
########

**Faster Pokemon** Due to Aurorus's poor defensive typing, it is quite easy to revenge kill prior to having set up a Rock Polish. Pokemon such as Sawk, Virizion, Feraligatr, and Samurott can all revenge kill Aurorus and hit it super effectively.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon** Cryogonal shrugs off anything Aurorus has to offer from most sets barring Stone Edge from the physical set, and can stall it out with Recover and Toxic. Likewise, Mega Audino can shrug off many of Aurorus's attacks well. Thick Fat Hariyama can take on many of Aurorus's moves and hit it with either Bullet Punch or Close Combat.

**Priority** Bullet Punch from Hariyama and Mach Punch from Gurdurr can remove Aurorus from play relatively easily. Aqua Jet from Feraligatr and Samurott can also threaten Aurorus.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ik this is a work in progress, but I feel like there should probably be a band/specs set cuz I've faced a couple of those, underestimated them and got rekt. Now I give this thing healthy respect even though it has shitty typing.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
physical aurorus is definitely viable and is a good lure for the counters to the speicla set so i would support either a band or rock polish set

rock polish would look similar to the special one with return stone edge earthquake while the band would run facade in the last slot

What i'll say is that you got the nature correct, rock polish set is great, but i don't think that Life Orb should be the item given to Aurorus. You can use Band/Specs, since i've seen a few battles, and usually Aurorus gets the job done. Physical Aurorus is not a great set, but you can definitely use it to lure enemies or revenge kill (frailty) to either try and KO the Pokemon your opponent used to defeat your last, or just simply damage it enough to defeat it against your next Poke (if you have one). Overall, i think Aurorus can be used as a mixed sweeper if it doesn't have a significant role in the team. But i'll say that it's best to focus on its speed, so that you get the chance to outspeed. Life Orb is only good for a suggestion; as a result of it's recoil damage, you will not last long with Auroru's poor defense.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I don't know how in hell Thunderbolt made it through 3 people; it's literally worthless on Aurorus due to Freeze Dry being STAB and hitting Water-types harder.
252+ SpA Life Orb Aurorus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 273-322 (87.5 - 103.2%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Aurorus Freeze Dry vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 315-374 (100.9 - 119.8%)

Also I'd suggest taking Physical Rock Polish out of OO and making it a set. You'd have a very hard time trying to combine and slash a physical+special RP set into one, and I think physical RP Aurorus is just as good if not better. Rock Polish / Return,Frustration / Stone Edge / Earthquake hits pretty much everything hard, only missing out on water types due to lack of Freeze Dry. Infact Return out damages Tri-Attack, and EQ coverage is amazing. Very underrated and imo worthy of it's own set.

Agreeing with montsegur and flcl, a specs/band set should get a very strong mention in OO, maybe its own set depending on how the rest of QC feels. It's super powerful, and has all the coverage it needs to succeed.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Feraligatr, Samurott, and Seismitoad should not be in C&C, as none of them switch in safely to a life orb freeze dry.

A few nitpicks :
  • On the special attacking set, HP Fighting is better than HP Fire. You already hit Ferroseed pretty hard with Nature Power and HP Fighting can 2HKO Probopass and OHKO Pawniard.
  • Thick Fat Hariyama is one of the few things that walls both Physical and Special Aurorus so it probably deserves the top mention in C&C.
  • SubCalmMind is a set that you should mention in OO imo, it can set up on Licky/Audino and the Substitute helps with revenge killers in general

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A few nitpicks :
  • On the special attacking set, HP Fighting is better than HP Fire. You already hit Ferroseed pretty hard with Nature Power and HP Fighting can 2HKO Probopass and OHKO Pawniard.
  • Thick Fat Hariyama is one of the few things that walls both Physical and Special Aurorus so it probably deserves the top mention in C&C.
  • SubCalmMind is a set that you should mention in OO imo, it can set up on Licky/Audino and the Substitute helps with revenge killers in general
I agree with all these changes. Please add them.

I'm not sure what the best way to incorporate this is, especially since it seems silly for such an average-at-best Pokemon to have so many sets, but I think Scarf, Band, and Specs are all good enough for sets. I'd probably be willing to settle for Band and Specs having heavy OO mentions and Scarf getting a set. But Scarf is a really solid late-game cleaner that doesn't need to set up. It just spams strong Refrigerate-boosted attacks and calls it a day. QC thoughts?

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've had experience with both Specs and Band and both are really good viable sets. I have not had experience with Scarf, but even though Aurorus is an average mon I think it should get 3 sets.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • Has decent coverage options too, like Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt but inferior to Freeze-Dry overall
IDK why T-bolt is in either the overview or OO as it hits nothing that Freeze Dry doesn't hit harder tbh. Freeze Dry is literally a BoltBeam that only takes up one moveslot and hits Seismitoad super effectively.

Aside from that, I have a few points:
  • I agree that Scarf should definitely be moved up from OO rather than just being listed as a possibility for moving up. The set is a great cleaner.
  • There is a way that you could have Band and Specs both on the main analysis without having 5 sets, and I think that it could work in this case. You slash an attack (HP Fighting for special (for the reasons listed by Koinzel) and Rock Slide for physical (for cases where you need a more reliable STAB than Stone Edge)) with Rock Polish on the Rock Polish sets, rename them Physical Attacker and Special Attacker and slash Specs or Band on alongside Life Orb on the set, respectively.

Ares

ScraftyIsTheBest what is going on with this analysis ?.? It hasnt been updated in over a month.

You need to fix the sets, this doesnt look completed atm.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like Band and Specs a lot more than the Rock Polish sets, honestly. They're a ton stronger so they put in a lot more work midgame, and I also really hate how priority weak Aurorus is due to its typing, which combined with LO + more than likely SR is pretty bad for a cleaner. I'd support adding Band / Specs as slashes for the physical and special sets and slashing Rock Polish with something else (might even get a primary slash if no one can vouch for them).

No opinion on Scarf, but Ice Beam should at least be replaced with like Toxic or w/e since IB is completely useless lol

edit @ below: but Nature Power is stronger after Refrigerate :(

Last edited:
I like Band and Specs a lot more than the Rock Polish sets, honestly. They're a ton stronger so they put in a lot more work midgame, and I also really hate how priority weak Aurorus is due to its typing, which combined with LO + more than likely SR is pretty bad for a cleaner. I'd support adding Band / Specs as slashes for the physical and special sets and slashing Rock Polish with something else (might even get a primary slash if no one can vouch for them).

No opinion on Scarf, but Ice Beam should at least be replaced with like Toxic or w/e since IB is completely useless lol
Not necessarily saying this makes Ice Beam set worthy, but I just wanted to point out that Ice Beam's higher Base Power can make it more helpful in cleaning late-game / netting a specific KO.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-Overview-
  • I honestly don't see why everyone thinks rock is such a shitty defensive typing, its actually really good in NU resisting Normal, Flying and Ice-type attacks is really cool.
  • I see where you're coming from with it being weak to the other common attacking types, but its bulk is far from mediocre and I think you're understating that a bit.
  • Weakness Policy should be slashed on both Rock Polish sets, Aurorus' nice bulk allows a ton of opportunities to receive this boost, it also pairs well with Rock Polish.
-Movesets-
  • In general when you're talking about specific pokemon moves hit I'd like to see you phrase it like this "freeze dry hits water types such as ludicolo seismitoad and feraligatr" because you're missing out on a lot of great targets by limiting yourself to listing 2-3 mons.
  • Unless theres something specific you can think of that Aurorus needs a +Spe nature for, I a neutral nature should be fine on the RP sets. you still outspeed positive scarf 80s and everything up to accelgor at +2. Not to mention the only relevant things that boost or hold a scarf that you would even come close to with timid/jolly already beat you or cant touch you (examples of this speed tier are rotom and rotom formes, QD Liligant with a boost, etc)
  • In general I feel like set details and usage tips are lacking and don't really give me an idea of what aurorus does or how to use it, you're basically listing off standard things like "life orb boosts attack" "refrigerate does this" etc. I'd like to see you inform the reader on the what when where and hows of aurorus a little more.
  • Ice beam shouldn't be mentioned anywhere on here ever lol, nature power is always stronger and just as accurate. Maybe mention EQ on scarf over it with a naive nature.
-Other Options-
  • Remove Scarf and Physical Attacker from OO if it's already a set lol.
  • I doubt Toxic Orb+Facade is even OO worthy, the boost isn't that great and I'd like to think Life Orb boosting all attacks is better rather than the item only benefiting one.
  • Cut mentions of Thunderbolt, it's literally inferior to Freeze-Dry in every way, not just 'overall' unless I'm not seeing something. Mention Specs + Band.
-Checks and Counters-
  • C&C needs to be formatted properly if you want this to be QC ready, most of what you have can be generalized and right now you mainly have offensive checks before a rock polish so I'd like to see counters and checks to already set up variants in here.
Let me know when this is updated please ScraftyIsTheBest.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
-Overview-
  • I honestly don't see why everyone thinks rock is such a shitty defensive typing, its actually really good in NU resisting Normal, Flying and Ice-type attacks is really cool.
  • I see where you're coming from with it being weak to the other common attacking types, but its bulk is far from mediocre and I think you're understating that a bit.
  • Weakness Policy should be slashed on both Rock Polish sets, Aurorus' nice bulk allows a ton of opportunities to receive this boost, it also pairs well with Rock Polish.
-Movesets-
  • In general when you're talking about specific pokemon moves hit I'd like to see you phrase it like this "freeze dry hits water types such as ludicolo seismitoad and feraligatr" because you're missing out on a lot of great targets by limiting yourself to listing 2-3 mons.
  • Unless theres something specific you can think of that Aurorus needs a +Spe nature for, I a neutral nature should be fine on the RP sets. you still outspeed positive scarf 80s and everything up to accelgor at +2. Not to mention the only relevant things that boost or hold a scarf that you would even come close to with timid/jolly already beat you or cant touch you (examples of this speed tier are rotom and rotom formes, QD Liligant with a boost, etc)
  • In general I feel like set details and usage tips are lacking and don't really give me an idea of what aurorus does or how to use it, you're basically listing off standard things like "life orb boosts attack" "refrigerate does this" etc. I'd like to see you inform the reader on the what when where and hows of aurorus a little more.
  • Ice beam shouldn't be mentioned anywhere on here ever lol, nature power is always stronger and just as accurate. Maybe mention EQ on scarf over it with a naive nature.
-Other Options-
  • Remove Scarf and Physical Attacker from OO if it's already a set lol.
  • I doubt Toxic Orb+Facade is even OO worthy, the boost isn't that great and I'd like to think Life Orb boosting all attacks is better rather than the item only benefiting one.
  • Cut mentions of Thunderbolt, it's literally inferior to Freeze-Dry in every way, not just 'overall' unless I'm not seeing something. Mention Specs + Band.
-Checks and Counters-
  • C&C needs to be formatted properly if you want this to be QC ready, most of what you have can be generalized and right now you mainly have offensive checks before a rock polish so I'd like to see counters and checks to already set up variants in here.
Let me know when this is updated please ScraftyIsTheBest.
Small nitpick, rock doesnt resist ice :P

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Mention that Scarf Aurorus resists Fake Out and that Nature Power renders opposing Sucker Punches ineffective, which are a few reasons to consider it over Jynx. Also Scarf Aurorus has zero reason to bother with Ice Beam; at the very least Hasty Earthquake 2HKOes max HP Probopass all of the time.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Should sets with the new tutor moves, ie stealth rock, hyper voice, earth power, etc be implemented? Just curious.
This analysis isnt too far in progress, so I dont think it would hurt.

Edit: I was told not to mention mega glalie in my current archeops analysis, but I really don't see why we can't just add the new stuff to this.

Last edited:
EDIT:

Mention that Scarf Aurorus resists Fake Out and that Nature Power renders opposing Sucker Punches ineffective, which are a few reasons to consider it over Jynx. Also Scarf Aurorus has zero reason to bother with Ice Beam; at the very least Hasty Earthquake 2HKOes max HP Probopass all of the time.
Hyper Voice does hit harder though, which boltsandbombers said Aurorus does get. Is avoiding Sucker Punch that necessary for all of Aurorus' Specially-based sets?

Ares

EDIT:

Hyper Voice does hit harder though, which boltsandbombers said Aurorus does get. Is avoiding Sucker Punch that necessary for all of Aurorus' Specially-based sets?
You should mention the pros and cons of each one, 10bp more isn't that much when you get about a 30% chance to status and avoid sucker punch priority. While hyper voice can hit behind subs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)