XY OU Like a Mega Pinsir

Team Building Process

I decided that I wanted to use a Mega Pinsir and a Breloom. These things straight up die to Talonflame so I added Rotom-W to balance it out. Rotom-W doesn't do anything to Excadrill and grass types so Skarmory came in (it defogs so that was a plus). Then came Magnezone because of the Ferrothorn and Skarmory weakness. Lastly, came Garchomp because it is a monster and its weaknesses are covered.

Team

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Return

This is a standard Pinsir set. I chose earthquake over close combat because with a Magnezone it does not really matter. Jolly and max speed to outspeed threats like Garchomp and Victini and base 100 speed pokemon. Max attack for obvious reasons and no hp evs to take less damage from stealth rocks. I gave it moxie so that I could come in on a pokemon with little health and get a nice moxie boost.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone is a powerhouse with an amazing ability in magnet pull. Skarmory, Ferro, and Scizor can't do anything. I made it scarfed for the switch initiative of volt switch and to boost the mediocre speed. A standard ev spread and moveset for this thing.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Rock Tomb

Good ol' Breloom comes through every time. An amazing lead for almost every opposing team. If the team has Ferro, switch to Magnezone. No Ferro and switch to Talonflame, rock tomb. Switch to anything faster, rock tomb. Talonflame lead, catch a rock tomb. Technician focus sash on this thing is amazing. Spore is for putting things to sleep (because I can). Bullet seed for Rotom-W and the uncommon water/ground types. Rock tomb to catch a Charizard or Talonflame on the switch.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is my defogger and whirlwinder (is that a word) which works well with the sturdy. 248 hp to take less damage from stealth rocks. Roost for obvious reasons. Brave bird for sableye and other taunters. Max defense to eat up everything. I used to have toxic but whirlwind seems to work better.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 104 Def / 152 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

The most used wall in OU is back again with the lefties pain split set. Max special defense is for the fact that skarmory can't take any special hit whatsoever. 104/152 to have a lot of damage dished out and a physical hit get taken before the will o.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Who doesn't love a good scarfchomp? Garchomp is already a threat that kills everything with this powerful moveset. Outrage and earthquake for obvious reasons. Stone edge and iron head to catch things on the switch. Rough skin is for talonflames that do not appreciate recoil+rough skin+maybe life orb.

This team works well as it got me to 1500+ on showdown. It may need some edits as I have no real OHKO to specially bulky fairy types like clefable and sylveon. I appreciate all help to make this team better. I could also use suggestions for new teams because I am fresh out of ideas.

FIX SHOWDOWN!​

To be honest, I do not think Skarmory fits on this team. This team appears to be more offensive in nature, so Skarmory would not be the best fit. For a more offensive team, I would say Defensive Landorus-T would be a better fit. Landorus-T can provide into threats like Terrakion and Zard, and while lacking in investment, can still hit them decently hard.

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Since you lack a hazard remover for Pinsir, I would recommend switching Garchomp to a Scarf Excadrill so you can not only remove hazards but beat Clefable and Sylveon, like you asked for.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Your team is a bit Keldeo weak. While I do not consider Rotom-W to be a reliable Keldeo check, since you have no intent on removing Breloom, you will have to make do for now. I would recommend changing to a spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe Impish Nature on Rotom-W so you can take Specs Secret Swords from Keldeo much more easily.

I may have been a little brief, so if you need more explanation on why I did what I did, just ask. Again, I feel this team is a bit unprotected against Keldeo and also Greninja, so I would normally gut Breloom and run an Azumarill, but since you seem to have no intent on changing Breloom, I guess if they become a serious problem, then you may want to consider replacing Breloom with Azumarill.

Make these changes for now, and you should be good. Good luck!

I just checked the damage calc and Mega Pinsir does 180% to a Keldeo with quick attack so I think I'm covered for that. I might try using the scarfed Excadrill although I do like Garchomp. I don't get why Skarmory would not fit so can you please reiterate that.

I was looking around, and could a curse Ferrothorn work for this more offensive team. I might change breloom to an Azumarill though because the fire type weakness is ridiculous. A set and ev spread would be nice too.

I was looking around, and could a curse Ferrothorn work for this more offensive team. I might change breloom to an Azumarill though because the fire type weakness is ridiculous. A set and ev spread would be nice too.
Curse Ferrothorn is not a very good set because a Ferro check can still beat it the next turn, and Ferrothorn is too slow for most offensive teams anyways.

If you want an Azumarill, here is the set:

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

I agree with Alfalfa completely.

In relation to keldeo the issue is not your abillity to revenge kill it, ( as you said in your post about mega pinsir) but having a reliable switchin for when it comes in on a poke that it forces out. This is also an issue with greninja.

Make all the changes Alfalfa said, test the team and see how it goes.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO change Moxie on Pinsir to Hyper Cutter so Intimidate users don't reduce its attack if it were to to double switch in. Additionally, it is so slow that Moxie is really, REALLY unreliable, and it makes Pinsir reliant on 3 non-STAB attacks to deal all of its damage, not to mention how weak an un-STAB Quick Attack is, making it hard to get the boost from revenge killing.

IMO change Moxie on Pinsir to Hyper Cutter so Intimidate users don't reduce its attack if it were to to double switch in. Additionally, it is so slow that Moxie is really, REALLY unreliable, and it makes Pinsir reliant on 3 non-STAB attacks to deal all of its damage, not to mention how weak an un-STAB Quick Attack is, making it hard to get the boost from revenge killing.
Hyper Cutter is no more useful the moxie (or even mold breaker). Blocking intimidate ONCE (unless you don't mega but then why does it matter) is not superior to getting a boost 1 in 10 times or hitting rotom-w with EQ. Hyper Cutter is the last abilllity you should be using on pinsir.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hyper Cutter is no more useful the moxie (or even mold breaker). Blocking intimidate ONCE (unless you don't mega but then why does it matter) is not superior to getting a boost 1 in 10 times or hitting rotom-w with EQ. Hyper Cutter is the last abilllity you should be using on pinsir.
I beg to differ. Landorus-T is a common switch-in to Pinsir, and mega evolution occurs after switching. This means that Pinsir would block Intimidate and then mega evolve on the same turn, set up a Swords Dance and then proceed to OHKO with Return on the following turn. The ability to ignore the attack drop and Swords Dance up to +2 attack is actually the difference between OHKOing defensive Landorus-T and missing out on it as Mega Pinsir fails to OHKO at just +1, which I feel is far more useful than hitting Rotom-W with Earthquake despite Close Combat being an infinitely better option now that Aegislash is gone (both a non-mega Earthquake and a mega Close Combat 2HKO defensive anyway), or a miniscule chance to get a +1 boost (which, FYI, is FAR less likely than 1 in 10), which is less than +2 and fails to OHKO defensive Landorus-T with Return, while being stuck with an underwhelming speed stat for an extra turn. That is why Hyper Cutter is more useful than the other two effectively useless abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)