Smogon Fantasy Basketball '14-'15

I decided to keep it random for now, never really got any feedback on the change. But yes, next year the change will happen. So now everyone has that in mind during this year.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I decided to keep it random for now, never really got any feedback on the change. But yes, next year the change will happen. So now everyone has that in mind during this year.
That's stupid. It encourages tanking just like in the real NBA if you can't make the playoffs lol.

I agree, if you are losing you can just get Paul George at pick 13 and then just suck for top pick. Can we ban Paul George as a keeper for next year btw? Otherwise that's a bit unfair.

Also Stallion you kept stealing my picks :(

wtf how did I end up taking Dwight first overall? He was supposed to be my retained player lol

Edit: oh wait yeah I get it now. Overall, not bad.

Wasn't really in a position to get all the players I wanted without doing some major reaching, so I'm okay with how my team turned out ultimately.

Aaaand that's exactly the feedback I wanted! Heheh, alright, we can keep random draft then. Not sure what to do about Paul George though. I guess we can give it some thought and decide a bit later, but I see the point.

My team...I feel weird about it. It's not bad, but something about it seems off to me.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Aaaand that's exactly the feedback I wanted! Heheh, alright, we can keep random draft then. Not sure what to do about Paul George though. I guess we can give it some thought and decide a bit later, but I see the point.

My team...I feel weird about it. It's not bad, but something about it seems off to me.
Your team is pretty solid, quite top heavy but I don't really like your depth options. In my honest opinion, your team looks like a killer roto squad cause of guys like Leonard, Hayward and Parsons - literally the three posterboys for statistical versatility. Your biggest question mark seems to be blocked shots, if Noel starts strong you'll be fine but if not, then unless Drummond goes nuts this season you'll probably lose that category most weeks. You've got a pretty balanced squad though.

Some of my thoughts on a couple of the other rosters:

The Pinas (last year - first place) - hasn't gone for any upside picks, having filled his team full of established veterans. I can't really judge though as he's the guy who beat me out in the finals last year. LeBron + Curry is dangerous as fuck, he definitely lucked into a great draft position this year. Should be solid in most cats and is going to absolutely annihilate everyone in 3 pointers on a weekly basis, has quite a few elite rebounders too. He has only one guy averaging over 1.1 blocks per game though and the guy is on the wrong side of 30, so that could potentially be a weakness.

Me (last year - second place) - I'm pretty happy with my draft as a whole. Having Davis, Thompson and Rubio as keepers was a strong foundation that allowed me to go in any direction with my draft. Nabbing Wall, Walker and Parker with my first three picks gives me a strong scoring, assists and steals foundation. I was also very happy with some of my upside picks (Sullinger, Wroten), and my late round blocks (Hibbert, Valanciunas). A weakness seems to be my reliance on Klay Thompson to remain competitive in threes, but I did go get Teletovic with my last pick to fill that need so that shouldn't be an issue. I am however, going to almost definitely lose FG% each and every week. My fourth most accurate shooter from last season shot 44% lol so consider that category effectively punted.

Swag City Thunder (last year - third place) - Ahh my sworn fantasy rival across every sport. He has a dangerous dangerous lineup, probably one of the best drafts out of anyone. Conley, Harden and Holiday is a strong assists/steals foundation, and he'll have Beal coming back from injury later in the season. Payton was one of my favourite picks in the draft and I'm spewing that he got him before I had a chance to draft him, I think he's a real talent who'll have a big chance to shine with the magic. Being forced to start bigs like Mozgov and Hill who are in danger of losing rotation minutes for their respective teams is his weak point of his lineup, but his strong guards should mitigate that for sure.

I was gonna do Chaser and a few others but I'm too lazy/have assignments!

How does claiming players off waivers work? I removed and added several players from the roster and they're still in the queue.

Stallion

Tree Young
How does claiming players off waivers work? I removed and added several players from the roster and they're still in the queue.
If a player is on waivers (usually happens only right after the draft or right after they're dropped - otherwise they're normally free agents), you have to wait in a "queue" before your transaction is processed. You have a waiver wire priority based off the reverse of the draft order to start the season. If two players try and claim the same player, the player with the higher waiver priority gets to make the transaction. They then move down to the last position in the Waivers queue, remaining there until someone else makes a claim after them.

(piñas) Considering I was drafting during a wedding I did alright. Stallion, your assessment is spot on. I wasn't really in a position to plan or reach for players. Besides the automatic grab LeBron, every other move was me trying to fill in the slots.

But yeah got lucky on the draft order and picking curry on a bad year has reap its rewards. But dont worry guys next year he will be free from his 3yr contract. :-)

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
(piñas) Considering I was drafting during a wedding I did alright. Stallion, your assessment is spot on. I wasn't really in a position to plan or reach for players. Besides the automatic grab LeBron, every other move was me trying to fill in the slots.

But yeah got lucky on the draft order and picking curry on a bad year has reap its rewards. But dont worry guys next year he will be free from his 3yr contract. :-)
And to think, I could have had keepers of DeMarcus, Curry and Davis this year....*sigh*

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought the draft was being delayed? Also the team 'Chris Kaman Ya Face' definitely used to be mine lol.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
can we use this thread to also discuss fantasy bball in general for those of us in other leagues?

for me, first year playing for money in a league with buy-in of $20, 14 team league 9-cat so good waiver wire pickups are important. thoughts on dj augustin vs garrett temple for short term? also just dropped john henson for alex len since their playing times seem to be going in reverse trends

current team btw, we do weekly lineups so after first game every monday lineups are set in stone for the week (idk why commish did this option): http://puu.sh/cF1vK/13e0675310.jpg

very points heavy, punting fg% and TOs usually. could use some more ast out of the pg spot and rebs out of my forwards since I have two heavy duty scorers in derozan/gay that don't offer too much utility, not even 3pm =[

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
In the Smogon keeper league, I benched a few players by accident that had big days and I'm still up 7-2. Barring injuries, I'm super confident of going one better this year and winning. John Wall + Anthony Davis + Klay Thompson may very well give me the best real life PG/SG/PF trio, all in the one fantasy team.

I have a 10 team roto league team as well that's stacked but has a bunch of niggling injuries so I'm only 6th out of 10 at the moment, but I'm really confident of rising up the standings in a hurry.

I also have a 16 team H2H money league team that's 0-1 at the moment and up in the current matchup. Deep leagues are tough as fuck because we're fighting over the Shawne Williams' of the world lol, which could make the difference between winning and losing. I have Conley/Stephenson/LeBron/Horford/Noel as my best 5 though off my head and a bunch of solid support players (Copeland, Bogut, Payton) that should give me a very strong chance of making the playoffs, and who knows what'll happen from there.

In short, I know everyone loves their fantasy teams, but due to my prep for the nightmare that is 16 team, I've managed to become a much stronger 10 team player as a result. I doubt I'll run the table (I've never won every league I've been in during the same year), but at least I'm in the position to give it a red hot go :D

Stallion

Tree Young
can we use this thread to also discuss fantasy bball in general for those of us in other leagues?

for me, first year playing for money in a league with buy-in of $20, 14 team league 9-cat so good waiver wire pickups are important. thoughts on dj augustin vs garrett temple for short term? also just dropped john henson for alex len since their playing times seem to be going in reverse trends

current team btw, we do weekly lineups so after first game every monday lineups are set in stone for the week (idk why commish did this option): http://puu.sh/cF1vK/13e0675310.jpg

very points heavy, punting fg% and TOs usually. could use some more ast out of the pg spot and rebs out of my forwards since I have two heavy duty scorers in derozan/gay that don't offer too much utility, not even 3pm =[
Temple is a better play at the moment. He's starting till Beal is back and he's been a great source of points/3's/steals. I have him in my 16 teamer right now

Terrible day for me in both the leagues. Important players in Dwight, Fournier, Courtney Lee, Terrence Jones, Gasol injured. 5-4 from 7-2 in the 1st and 3-5 from 6-2 in the 2nd, damn.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
Lineup changes I make keep not saving in the smogon yahoo league...this is really starting to irritate me...

Stallion

Tree Young
Just wasn't my year. Losing guys like Rubio, Sullinger, Wroten and Parker really weakened my team, not to mention the numerous injuries to Davis and Wall. All in all, gg everyone.

Just wasn't my year. Losing guys like Rubio, Sullinger, Wroten and Parker really weakened my team, not to mention the numerous injuries to Davis and Wall. All in all, gg everyone.
Rubes and AD starting to seem injury prone bruh, but tough luck on losing Parker I will agree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)