XY OU Goodbye X and Y!

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
INTRODUCTION

Hey everyone!! This is my first OU RMT, posting it because I'd been trying to get a bit of a hold on the metagame. This team I built a few weeks ago and it has served me well through all of its testing and fun battles. This was originally built around Swords Dance Talonflame, which is a ton of fun to use.

I started with Swords Dance Talonflame as my sweeper because I like Swords Dance + Priority and spamming priority Swords Dance Brave Bird is a lot of fun :)

Like I said, before making this team, I had little knowledge of the metagame. What do you do then? You go check the analysis and find good teammates. I chose Choice Scarf Excadrill because it could revenge kill, beat Heatran, and spin in a pinch. I chose the Healing Wish + Defog variant of Latias because it could restore one of my Pokemon (mainly Talonflame) if need be.

I added offensive Mega Venusaur because its pretty much the best Pokemon in existence.

I added Clefable mostly to check Greninja and set up Stealth Rock, but it also has a nifty resistance to Knock Off.

I don't really remember why I added Keldeo aside from the fact that it's a fucking badass.

After a bit of time, I replaced Excadrill with Landorus-T because it is a better Choice Scarf user in general and has U-turn. RIP Mold Breaker Earthquake spam. Hello Intimidate and U-turn.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

This is the Pokemon the team was built around. As previously mentioned, I chose it because Swords Dance + Powerful STAB priority = fun for the whole family :) Seriously I love using this thing. It can sweep so easily once its counters are removed. At +2, Brave Bird OHKOes Thundurus after Stealth Rock or a bit of previous damage and OHKOes Mega Manectric at 55% (factoring Intimidate), and Flare Blitz OHKOes Zapdos after a bit of prior damage and Stealth Rock. Most of its counters (Tyranitar, Mega Manectric, and Heatran) are handled nicely by Landorus-T. Speaking of Landorus-T, it OHKOes the Choice Scarf variant after Stealth Rock. TL;DR badass

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Like I said before, this spot originally belonged to Choice Scarf Excadrill, but was replaced with Landorus-T because more Speed, U-turn, and Intimidate (not to mention the bit extra power). The purpose of Landorus-T is to remove certain threats to Talonflame, namely Thundurus, Manectric, Tyranitar, and Heatran, which it does very well :) I chose Knock Off over Superpower because I like knocking off items, especially Leftovers and Choice Scarves. The other moves are relatively standard.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Latias is so much fun to use. It was originally intended to clear away hazards for Talonflame to come in (Stealth Rock sucks), but it also has the added bonus of giving Talonflame or another Pokemon two chances to sweep, so if Talonflame gets hit by a stray Thunder Wave or Toxic that has the potential to stop its sweep, it has another chance to sweep. I've also found myself using it for Landorus-T sometimes because it gets worn down if it keeps switching in and out and taking hits.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SDef/ 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

This is probably my favorite Pokemon to use in OU. It simply has a great defensive typing, good all-around stats, and the ability to absorb Knock Off nicely. It basically just makes an amazing glue while also maintaining offensive pressure with its strong STAB Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain, which also gives it a bit more longevity. Synthesis is awesome because it allows Venusaur to stick around longer, and who doesn't want that?

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

This is the Pokemon I'm most likely to change or make changes to. That said, Clefable does its job well. It sets up Stealth Rock, checks Greninja, absorbs status, and is in general just an annoying Pokemon. However, it is slightly lacking in the offense department, something I don't like in a bulky offense team like this (if any of you have seen my other RMTs, I really like bulky offense). I just wish it would just do a bit more to Dragonite (if anybody can spot some EVs that would be nice).

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

The last Pokemon, Keldeo, is a lot of fun to play with. It just does such an awesome job of breaking down opposing teams and wearing down counters of its own (cough Azumarill cough) with Scald. There's not really much to say here other than it really pressures the opponent. Not even Mega Manectric or Thundurus want to switch in on this things Hydro Pump. It also steamrolls Tyranintar and Heatran. :)

I'm too lazy and this isn't an xk post. You know who you are.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

idk why that font is so large

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team is actually really good, I can't really spot any big weaknesses, at least not any really worth changing anything over. The only actual complaint I have (and this is really minor) is that Talonflame ought to be running a spread of 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Speed on Talonflame, you don't lose out on any important bulk and you're able to outspeed Raikou. I would also personally run Icy Wind over Hidden Power Electric on Keldeo, since you seem weaker to Latis (you do have Clefable but it can lose to chip damage+risks getting tricked) than you are to bulky waters in general (MVenu takes them on generally very well, as does Latios and Clefable to a lesser extent), and Latios+Latias are definitely more common that every HP Electric target combined. As for actual weaknesses in your team, Mega-Aerodactyl could be a problem I guess, it switches in for free on Talonflame and though you do have Landorus-T as a solid check, it can get worn down, and loses to Ice Fang/Aqua Tail. Clefable is an okay switchin I guess but can potentially be 2HKO'd by Stone Edge. There isn't really anything you can do about this without making your team overall worse (I guess Scarf Keldeo could be an option but then you lose your main wallbreaker so it's a pretty bad idea in the long run). The mega wallbreakers can be a bit of a pain too. MMedi not too much, since it can't switch in on anything on your team besides MVenu who does a ton to it with Sludge Bomb, but MHera and especially MGardevoir can both be annoying. MHera comes in on MVeu qute easily, and though Lando-T slows it down, since it's Scarf you still have to let something take a hit as you U-Turn out. I can definitely imagine a scenario where MHera switches into Lando-T EQ or Knock Off and gets free damage on something (you have a switchin to each of MHera's moves after all, so smart play can definitely get you out of there). Easier way to fix this would be I guess Phys def Lando-T, but once again, that would be a bad idea since you'll probably prefer the utility of Scarf overral. MGardevoir is a bigger problem and overral I think it's the biggest threat to you team. Can come in for free on Latias or MGarde and though you do have a switchin to Hyper Voice in Talonflame, it's easy to wear down and it can't switch in on MGarde as many times as i can switch in on Latias+Clef. Once again, this is probably not worth fixing, but the best way to fix this (and I swear I'm not trolling) is running Jirachi over Clefable. Also sets rocks, also counters Latis, gives you some utility in U-Turn, only problem is that it makes you weaker to Greninja (Jirachi is one of the best answers to Greninja, but Dark Pulse, which a lot of Greninajs carry, hurts a lot). Overall I'm not sure it should be used over Clefable, but you could consider it nevertheless. Anyway, this team is solid as heck, this is all I really have to say about it

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-Turn
- Body Slam / Wish

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)