XY OU Trick Room/Speed Hybrid

I am relatively new to Smogon. Played for maybe a year off and on after X and Y came out. I've been playing a lot of Uber Ladder because of its sense of freedom. For this team, I took a highly successful Trickroom team from Uber and gutted everything except for the setup, Solrock, and the unconventional sweep, Offensive Ferrothorn. I scoured the OU RMT forums and found some of my favorite sets for the Pokemon that I wanted for this team. The team is a mix of slow for the Trick Room abuse and fast sweepers. My spreads are unconventional, I don't know what works best. Please don't forget: I am relatively new to this and have little experience in OU. And Solrock is not gimmicky. It dominates in Ubers if used correctly. Please forgive the lack of images in my post :p

Solrock @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

You might think Solrock is out of his league here, but you'd be wrong. I use him to stop set-up 'mons using Magic Coat, and then either set up hazards, or if he's threatened, I'll use him to set up Trick Room. Trick Room is very important for early round momentum as I have two Pokemon that can abuse TR. If the opposing Pokemon can't hit Solrock super effectively I will keep him in to Will-o-Wisp or keep him in for the first round of Trick Room to set up Stealth Rocks.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Atk / 80 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Power Whip

This is my Ace. After Trick Room is set, he is usually the next to come out. Most opponents expect a defensive or specially defensive set. And unless they can hit super effectively, Ferrothorn can set up with Sword Dance. With SD up, Gyro Ball will kill almost everything I can think of in OU that's faster than it. It kills most of Uber also. It's frankly OP. But even if I don't want to waste a Trick Room turn on SD, I can hurt water 'mons like Rotom-Wash and Azumarill with Power Whip. Toxic is there when I don't have the benefit of Trick Room. And toxic is pretty much the best status move in the game, so that's self explanatory. Ferrothorn is also immune to many hazards. Man I love Ferrothorn.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave

I realized that my team is Attack heavy. I didn't have special power. So I chose the fastest of the hovering weather dogs. It has immunities and resistances that my Azumarill benefits from. This is my final sweeper. After I weaken the enemy team with an assault with offensive Ferrothorn and Azumarill, I send Thunderdog out to destroy. If I am sending it into something that will predictably switch, it allows me to use Nasty Plot and then it's pretty much game over. Thunderbolt is important for flying and water. And at +2 it's pretty destructive to say the least. HP Flying is for Venusaur. Thunderwave can be used for predictable switch-ins, Earthquake users, and fast Pokemon. I bring Thundurus in against defensive walls and sometimes to avoid Earthquake. Or I use him to sweep when I have eliminated his counters. He also counters Skarmory and Togekiss.

Azumarill @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 230 HP / 252 Atk / 26 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Azumarill is my favorite Pokemon of all time. I remember being 10 years old and trying to unlock pikablu on Pokemon Yellow :) And I really love the utility of Belly Drum. I only use it when there is a predictable switch or the first round of Trick Room. Azumarill is my secondary Trick Room abuser. Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is a predicatable, but efficient combo for pretty much everything, especially ground and fire 'mons. Play Rough +4 will 2KO Defensive Ferrothorn. Everything else pretty much dies. Belly Drum and Play Rough can sweep all OU. The key to get Belly Drum up is Rest and Chesto Berry. I use Azumarill when I can't switch in Ferrothorn (e.g. against fighting or fire mons). Essential to the team, his immunities and resistances create synergy with Ferrothorn.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

The other floating dog is another OP OU Pokemon regularly used in Uber Ladders. It's important for Landorus-T on this team to be fast. Choice Scarf makes him fast enough to abuse U-turn for momentum, or Stone Edge to counter any fire-'mons. Earthquake is for predictable switches or when the only thing the opponent has is something that is Specially defensive. Landorus-T can break some walls and he is immune to electric. His most important role is to setup for a Pinsir sweep with Explosion. Explosion will kill anything that isn't defensive and will allow Pinsir to setup Substitute. He also soaks up flying and rock damage. Landorus-T has amazing utility and has some synergy with Thundrus. It also takes electric damage that Azumarill would be taking and fighting damage directed at Ferrothorn.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Return
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

On a whim, I decided on Pinsir as my fast sweeper. I am thinking about replacing him with something with SpDefense and SpAttack, but if I can get him in he is damn near unstoppable. He is my revenge-killer and last-ditch sweeper. If possible (during a prediction), I will set up Sub and then just spam Return. Sub also protects against status. Close Combat is for Ferrothorn and Bisharp. Knock Off is for Gengar and other Ghost 'mons, and can be used to remove the Leftovers from walls. With 252 Atk coupled with one of the highest attacks in OU, Pinsir will sweep entire teams.

I tested the team for a while and won more than I lost, but then Showdown! was hacked and I haven't been able to test since. It's a three tiered sweep design. Solrock sets up hazards and then Trick Room. Then either Ferrothron or Azumarill come in to set-up and sweep or kill at least one. Even if they don't set up, both Pokemon are formidable. When Trick Room disappears I send in the faster Pokemon until I can send Solrock back in to set another TR. When the slow sweep doesn't work I use my faster floating dog-god 'mons, and when both Thundurus and Landorus-T are threatened I send in Pinsir to clean up. I can start with Pinsir against Ferrothorn and Sub + Close Combat and wipe out a few. When Pinsir dies, send in Solrock to Trick Room and follow up with Ferrothorn or Azumarill and setup for a slow sweep.

I am also thinking about switching Pinsir for Charizard-Y or Latias; or possibly even Mega-Scizor to have one more option to abuse Trick Room. Some viable sets for those three Pokemon would also be very much appreciated. Please help me make this a viable OU team.

Thanks for my first RMT!!!

Importable:

Solrock @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Atk / 80 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Power Whip

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave

Azumarill @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 230 HP / 252 Atk / 26 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Return
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Last edited:
This is an extremely well though out team and is very good. I was going to say replace Hyper Cutter with Moxie but I realized that Hyper Cutter was better to send out with. I usually give my Pinsir moxie instead because if I could kill on thing before I Mega'd I'd be unstoppable.

This is an extremely well though out team and is very good. I was going to say replace Hyper Cutter with Moxie but I realized that Hyper Cutter was better to send out with. I usually give my Pinsir moxie instead because if I could kill on thing before I Mega'd I'd be unstoppable.
Thanks Mr. McGreifer for the rate. So do you have any ideas for sets for the 3 aforementioned Pokemon that I might replace Mega-Pinsir with?

Also, how do I bump this thread so I can get more feedback? I like my team, but hell it's not perfect. Anybody else have any ideas?

+bump

I replaced Mega-Pinsir with Offensive Heatran. Works much better because he has SpDef bulk and resists Ice, which the two GodDogs are weak against.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

It's been the most successful team I've used that I created. I've lost only once today after switching to Heatran.

Hello, interesting team, just some quick nitpicks.

On Solrock you'd want max atk and a Brave Nature with Explosion over wow, trick room is important for your team, you don't want to waste too much turns by switching or using status moves such as wow, and explosion from a base 95 atk still has a relatively good output.
I'd also give Life Orb on Thundurus, you'd want all the possible power in order to weaken stuff like Mega Venusaur for Azumarill or Ferrothorn.

Speaking of it, I would suggest you to give Return over Rest on Azumarill, in order to ohko both venusaur and pdef amoonguss after a belly drum.
I would also consider Superpower over Play Rough, this way you gain a way to kill opposing Ferrothorn, whom may be able to stop you.

Hope it helped, good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)