The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, kinda funny Peterson was at least being paid before on an exempt list, whereas now he's suspended without pay.

I dunno, on the one hand, I wouldn't disagree with some punishment. But you can tell this is just a knee jerk reaction by Goodell in light of trying to save face over the whole Ray Rice situation, which I hate because Goodell is pretty much the devil.

So, kinda funny Peterson was at least being paid before on an exempt list, whereas now he's suspended without pay.

I dunno, on the one hand, I wouldn't disagree with some punishment. But you can tell this is just a knee jerk reaction by Goodell in light of trying to save face over the whole Ray Rice situation, which I hate because Goodell is pretty much the devil.
Neither should have been suspended. The way the NFL is destroying these guys lives is sickening. I've always been neutral about Goodell(as long as the NFL is being successful I don't care what he does) but the player suspensions is over the top. That's a no no for me. The Gordon suspension was easily the worst of them this year.

Quit complaining about the crappy redskins, if you want to know pain become a Peyton Manning fan. Litterally the greatest QB ever, with otherworldly accomplishments and idiots always point out how his crappy teams do poorly against good teams(playoff record). All I want is 600 TDs, 6 MVPs, 80,000 career yds and maybe a 6000 yd season. And most of those will never happen. The guy will end his career with nothing.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'm sorry but ap is destroying his own fucking life. He chose to beat his kid, he chose to skip his NFL meeting, and he chose to smoke weed before coming to court.

How about Greg Hardy, guys? Coach Rivera doesn't think that Hardy will be reinstated this season and has pretty much given up hope. Hell, the guy probably won't even play in a Panthers shirt again. Losing him really hurt us I feel. Yea sure, there are a shit ton of other gaping holes in our team. But his presence on the field was valuable.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying but 90% of jobs will fire you if they know you smoke weed. Might change in 10 years but atm organizations consider weed a liability.

Hardy would be fired from most jobs. AP would be in JAIL right now imo if he weren't a superstar RB.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
"90%" (more like 99.9%) don't give a shit. Car Parts Inc doesn't give a flying fuck what Joe Blow does on his own time so long as he shows up to work and runs his machine 8+ hours daily. As long as he isn't high on the job, and thus endangering others, nobody cares. Even if he goes to jail, they'd only care insofar as it makes him miss work. Felony charges and prison time are different but misdemeanors, fines, jail are nothing.

Goodell is shit but I can only have so much sympathy for a guy whose career sets him for life finanically after a few months of work, so "boo-fucking-hoo." Yes, you're being wronged, but it's hardly threatening your livelihood so don't get your panties too twisted if things don't work out. Derrick Rose would be thrilled he gets to attend his son's graduation without having sore knees because he didn't have to play anymore!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
That's the flaw in this entire argument, saying "in your face, my team is trash now but we won a shitload of titles during the Reagan years so fuck yeaaaaaah" doesn't really help.
So essentially, we are all able to complain, yet at the same time can't. Lions fans sure can't complain at the moment, nor can Bengals fans. Jets fans can THIS year, but Rex Ryan recently took them to two AFC Championship games with MARK FUCKING SANCHEZ at quarterback, so I don't feel sorry for them either. (By the way, 9-7 records both times.)

In my estimation, teams that currently are allowed to complain: Bills, PROBABLY Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, Washington, PROBABLY Buccaneers, Rams.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'm sorry but ap is destroying his own fucking life. He chose to beat his kid, he chose to skip his NFL meeting, and he chose to smoke weed before coming to court.
Nice misinformation, the NFLPA advised him not to attend the meeting due to it being outside the pre-arranged agreement for how his hearing would go.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So essentially, we are all able to complain, yet at the same time can't. Lions fans sure can't complain at the moment, nor can Bengals fans. Jets fans can THIS year, but Rex Ryan recently took them to two AFC Championship games with MARK FUCKING SANCHEZ at quarterback, so I don't feel sorry for them either. (By the way, 9-7 records both times.)

In my estimation, teams that currently are allowed to complain: Bills, PROBABLY Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, Washington, PROBABLY Buccaneers, Rams.
Rams can't complain they beat broncos seahawks and 9ers!

You forgot vikings doe

Browns waive Ben Tate and the Vikings snatch him up because of the AP situation. Thoughts? I need someone to fill me in as to why Tate was even waived, he's a pretty decent running back in my book.

relatively expensive contract ($6+ million) with minimal cap hit upon release, two less expensive backups who have had better results (Crowell/West), and whining about his role in the team caused him to get released. Alone, the first two aren't that bad, but I'd guess that it's the third one that did him in.

Vikings picked him up because AP probably won't play another down in Minnesota, if the stories are to be believed.

Yeah, I can't imagine how rough it is having only $5 million in the bank instead of $100 million. So destroyed...
Having their names dragged through mud, publicly humiliated and have the job they love(and the one they can only perform in for a stupid short amount of time) taken away is "destroyed' imo. Every game AJ Green, Josh Gordon, Megatron, Arian Foster etc miss is a huge loss for everyone that is in any way involved with this game. Game suspensions should be used as a last resort. In extreme cases. Most of these could be solved with big fines.

You forgot vikings doe
The Broncos were on the road, lost their second best wr and 2nd best offensive player during the game facing a coach who knows Peyton better than anyone else with a young talented defense. The loss isn't that big a deal tbh. Rams still suck. Peyton is still Peyton. Plus like I said before, the 2011 Saints(one of the best teams in the past decade) lost to a 2-14 Rams team that was beyond terrible. These losses are just flukes, and will happen every year/week. It means mothing most of the time.

Last edited:

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
Also reflecting on the past few years:

I'm honestly starting to think that taking QBs high is flat out uneconomical, as is paying them big salaries. Look at the contracts that Tony Romo, Joe Flacco and Jay Cutler got. Romo is the only guy even somewhat approaching elite and he's hurt and the Cowboys have done better by having him throw the ball LESS. Obviously the RGIII trade was a disaster (that I repeatedly justified based on the flawed quarterback uber alles thinking). Look at the Lions winning with Matt Stafford throwing the ball way less and throwing way less TDs. Cardinals are 9-1 platooning Stafford and old man Palmer. Even guys like Drew Brees are 4-6. Sure a few teams are riding great QB play to glory but is that really viable for every team? Even Brady lost 2 Super Bowls to a running and defense team in the Giants.

You're also seeing this in the draft - guys like E.J Manuel and Blaine Gabbert get taken in the first round by teams that NEED a QB, and are thrown to the wolves despite needing to be rebuilt to make the most of their talent. In hindsight, this probably needed to happen with RGIII as well. Even some of the current greats needed a lot of polishing to actually be good, like Brees and Rodgers (it's generally accepted that Rodgers was a complete mess his first year). Until more teams go back to pro-style concept in college, you have to expect that you're going to need to fix your quarterback before you actually put him in a game and ruin him (whether by having him take a billion hits year 1 or putting him in a system that doesn't actually teach him anything).

I think me and a lot of other people have fundamentally misundersood the game and assumed that football is somehow fundamentally different from what it was 10 years ago. Running and defense teams continue to be the teams that win titles and have strong year to year consistency, despite a lot of hype suggesting otherwise. It's probably time to just treat QB like any other position and strive to build balanced teams with talent across the roster.

it's generally accepted that Rodgers was a complete mess his first year
63.6% for 4038 yards, 28/13 TDs to picks is a complete mess?

I'd mostly agree with the rest of your post though. Teams just need a quarterback who they can win with, rather than one who can take over games. I still think great O/D lines are more important than any other position.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

You forgot vikings doe
Rams CAN complain, because ever since the Greatest Show on Turf ended they've been a doormat. Who cares who you beat when you're 4-6 and nowhere at QB?

Vikings were borderline in my head, I almost included them as a "PROBABLY", but they went to the playoffs very recently and AP almost broke the rushing record, so they had a very exciting season that year. The Bills' seasons are effectively over before Thanksgiving every single goddamn year.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
63.6% for 4038 yards, 28/13 TDs to picks is a complete mess?

I'd mostly agree with the rest of your post though. Teams just need a quarterback who they can win with, rather than one who can take over games. I still think great O/D lines are more important than any other position.
His first true rookie year, not his first year after having McCarthy work on him for 3 seasons, he was a mess.

Steve Young is actually a good model for what I'm talking about. DREADFUL on the Bucs, and it wasn't just how bad the Bucs were, if you can watch the old games, he was clearly talented but he was lost in terms of QB fundamentals. He goes to San Fran, gets coached up for 2 years, then gets a chance and lights it up.

The Raiders are on Primetime TV Tonight?

Hide the women and children.
Oh shut up about the Raiders already, jesus. We all know they're bad.
But right now we're up 14-0 so suck it chefs! Latavius Murray with 3 carries for 107 and 2 TDs!!!

raiders fans already thinking of alternate universes where latavius murray becomes a premier back in the NFL. in 2 years time he, along with the all-star cast of derek "i'm better than david" carr, mychal "i'm better than naya" rivera, and the ferocious andre holmes take the AFC by storm. after narrowly escaping against the 78 year old peyton manning-led broncos in the AFC championship, the raiders advance to Super Bowl LI (i know what you're thinking, that roman numeral looks horrible, but get used to it) LATAVIUS MURRAY will encounter his greatest nemesis, which will prove to be a bigger family affair than the Jim/John Harbowl. Murray will face off in the super bowl against his jerk older brother, DeMarco. the raiders will squeak away with an onside kick recovered by James Jones. in the final 2 minutes Carr and the raiders will orchestrate a 12-play, 8 penalty, 28 yard drive into FG range (just how the coaches drew it up) and SEABASS janikowski will step in to kick his final (and most important) field goal EVER for the raiders. after the game, latavius will be interviewed and will thank god but most importantly he will thank the kansas city chiefs for allowing him the breakout game that kickstarted his career. al davis will turn in his grave (right side up) and will give the raiders a thumbs up.

the raider fan wakes up from his nap during halftime, and sighs heavily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)