Gen 6 Mega Rayquaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Rayquaza himself

Type: Dragon/Flying
Stats: 105 HP/180 Attack/100 Defense/180 Special Attack/100 Special Defense/115 Speed

Ability: Delta Stream
When a Pokémon with Delta Stream enters battle, the Ability creates strong winds, a unique weather condition. The strong winds last as long as the Pokémon with Delta Stream is in battle. Strong winds cause the moves Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail and Sandstorm to fail and cause the Abilities Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream and Snow Warning to fail to activate. They also cause moves that are super-effective against Flying-type Pokémon to only deal normal damage to Flying types.

Notable Moves:
Dragon Ascent
Dragon Dance
Draco Meteor
Swords Dance
Earthquake
V-create
Extremespeed
Dragon Claw
Overheat
Fire Blast
Flamethrower

Overview:
Mega Rayquaza being the only Mega that can hold any item and receiving a new toy in Dragon Ascent combined with dual 180 attack stats, 115 base speed and improved defenses make for the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier. So yeah go nuts with all the different items it can use!

Potential Movesets:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
EVs: 4 Def/252 Atk/252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance/Swords Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extremespeed

Rayquaza @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf/Focus Sash/Choice Band
EVs: 4 Def/252 Atk/252 Spe
Adamant/Naughty Nature
- V-create/Overheat
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor/Extremespeed
- Dragon Ascent

Discuss!

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
to bad smogon's gonna immediately drop the banhammer.
IMO Rayquaza is an amazing offensive threat who's mega evolution requirement is a move it would use anyways with or without the requirement for it. The most dangerous set is probably the swords dance set because of the immediate power provided by the set.

Imo Jolly will probably the best option for DD and SD sets in order to Speed tie opposing Rays. The meta is shifting a lot more towards HO from what it seems, and LO Jolly hits super hard anyway.

I used old damage calc to figure this out. Apologies if there's a different formula but +2 neutral lo DA to max HP/def groudon:

82.7% - 97.5%

0 dclaw from normal groudon to -1 mray

70.1% - 82.6%

Welp. Time to never play ubers again. or use skarm on every team skarm isn't safe

Outrage Scarf Groudon new meta/ scarf DM ray new meta

Last edited:
Let's see... it has the best offences in the game bar Mewtwo and Hera, it's at an extremely good speed tier, two very good spammable STABs, it can use a hold item, and it can be used with Primal Groudon.
RIP Ubers.

I was thinking a Dragon resist berry might be useful on DD that way you can set up on things like Palkia or Dialga. Seems good on paper but tbh with this thing's crazy attack stats it's probably good with any item.

Game just came out, sim hasn't even implemented mega Ray, so it's too soon to be saying anything like meta shifts or whatnot and running jolly just to speed tie with other rayquazas is pointless for both dd and sd since you're not setting up DD on Ray in the first place and after a DD you outspeed and ko (unless scarf Ray vecomes a thing I suppose) and sd sets outright ko opposing mega Rays with a +2 252+ LO espeed making tying irrelevant
This.

Game just came out, sim hasn't even implemented mega Ray, so it's too soon to be saying anything like meta shifts or whatnot and running jolly just to speed tie with other rayquazas is pointless for both dd and sd since you're not setting up DD on Ray in the first place and after a DD you outspeed and ko (unless scarf Ray vecomes a thing I suppose) and sd sets outright ko opposing mega Rays with a +2 252+ LO espeed making tying irrelevant
lol what if you r in really close game and force into speed tie to win the game?

lol what if you r in really close game and force into speed tie to win the game?
It depends on what you're thinking. Is it worth it to minimize the damage you could be doing for the whole battle with a +atk nature for something as circumstantial as a hypothetical speed tie of M Ray vs M Ray that decides the battle?

It depends on what you're thinking. Is it worth it to minimize the damage you could be doing for the whole battle with a +atk nature for something as circumstantial as a hypothetical speed tie of M Ray vs M Ray that decides the battle?
In all likelihood, it won't use Haban on DD, but you can be sure as hell it'll see use on SD sets

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
I was thinking a Dragon resist berry might be useful on DD that way you can set up on things like Palkia or Dialga. Seems good on paper but tbh with this thing's crazy attack stats it's probably good with any item.
Or Weakness Policy, since it doesn't have any x4 weakness and 105/100/100 bulk can probably take one SE hit.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave

Me and ApplepieFTW just found this set and it seems like it will just be an awesome check to megaray, saying check cuz lol nothing counters it because of ol overheat etc. Klefki gets magnet rise in oras, and it basically makes it a cool pdon check as well if it doesn't run a fire move while also checking megamence, just thought we should throw this set out there!

Umm, why do you give Mega Rayquaza items? Doesn't he, like every single other Mega Evolution, need the corresponding mega stone to mega evolve, or am I missing out on something?
EDIT: Apperantly he don't need the mega stone, interesting (and slightly broken)

Also, that Klefki set will usually only get off a T-Wave, but it might actually be pretty good in this meta, due to all those HO mons that hates T-Wave.

Umm, why do you give Mega Rayquaza items? Doesn't he, like every single other Mega Evolution, need the corresponding mega stone to mega evolve, or am I missing out on something? ._.

Also, that Klefki set will usually only get off a T-Wave, but it might actually be pretty good in this meta, due to all those HO mons that hates T-Wave.
It can mevo by knowing dragons ascend. You still need to click the box (no auto-mevo) and it takes up the mega spot, but it doesn't need an item so you can use life orb/lum/etc

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave

Me and ApplepieFTW just found this set and it seems like it will just be an awesome check to megaray, saying check cuz lol nothing counters it because of ol overheat etc. Klefki gets magnet rise in oras, and it basically makes it a cool pdon check as well if it doesn't run a fire move while also checking megamence, just thought we should throw this set out there!
Well, how much damage does V-Create do to it?

Does this thing have any counters at all? What about checks? You aren't even afforded the luxury of outrunning this thing with a scarfer because it can use a scarf itself. I'm totally stumped as to what to do about this thing.

V-Create form Life Orb Mega Rayquaza will kill that Klefki set.
From what I've tested V-create isn't that great as it was previously since Dragon Ascent exists, but Fire Blast would probably be very solid on mixed sets (if Espeed is somehow not needed) giving Ray essentially outrageous coverage combined with EQ, Draco and Dragon Ascent. Also, the set posted was a check to Ray, so V-create/Fire Blast will obviously destroy it.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Does this thing have any counters at all? What about checks? You aren't even afforded the luxury of outrunning this thing with a scarfer because it can use a scarf itself. I'm totally stumped as to what to do about this thing.
Right now Shuca/Air Balloon Dialga and Magnet Rise Klefki seem to be the best things I've seen to check it. Otherwise offensive pressure is the only thing I can think of. Attacking it as it sets up and then going into LO EKiller can possibly kill it depending on what it tried to set up on.

I really dont understand the reason to play the sd-set. It dont needs the extra power...i think an all-out attacker with like draco meteor / dragon ascent / v-create / erthquake is way better. A dd-set with dd / dragon ascent / earthquake / dragon claw could be good too cause it kinda laks on speed.

Last edited:
Umm, why do you give Mega Rayquaza items? Doesn't he, like every single other Mega Evolution, need the corresponding mega stone to mega evolve, or am I missing out on something?
EDIT: Apperantly he don't need the mega stone, interesting (and slightly broken)

It actually never gets 2hkod by +2 ascend (after rocks its like a 7% chance or smth) from life orb mega ray. It can then magnet rise on the earthquake, or foul play on the attack (a 50/50). This seems unreliable, but its not supposed to be a counter; it is a check. It's however a more reliable counter than air balloon dialga, which cant switch in if mega ray goes for anything that isnt sd/dd. It can check it really really well, the worst scenario is a dead klefki and a paralysed mega ray. Don't forget spikes are really good as (most) offensive teams forgo a defog/rapid spin user!

Halcyon. Arceus fairy is a pretty good answer too, and ditto isn't completely trash because of the offense spam that is everywhere. Ditto is actually pretty good when facing mega ray/ekiller/etc so it gives you an edge vs setup spam. Arceus fairy takes 54-64% from +2 espeed and ohko's back (this is assuming a 248/40 spread, which runs 216 timid to outspeed jolly (standard) rayq). It has a ~50% chance to get ohko'd from full by +1 ascend though, so it does worse versus dragon dance variants, but sd is more common and also better imo.

Aurious I actually don't see a lot of reason why you wouldn't run sd. You say that an all-out attacking set has "extra power", however the +2 boost (which is pretty easy to set up) is the thing that makes it so threatening, being able to sweep really easily with +2 life orb espeed. The things it can't kill with espeed get wrecked by ascend, and earthquake is for dialga/klefki/diancie etc. +2 espeed does most of the things the dragon dance set does, albeit slightly worse, but it does so much more at the same time. Dragon claw is also not that great as it doesn't hit anything at all. I don't really get the idea behind draco/vcreate, because in most, if not all, cases it would be better to just set up an sd and sweep.

It actually never gets 2hkod by +2 ascend (after rocks its like a 7% chance or smth) from life orb mega ray....
This doesn't sound right. According to this damage calculator here:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 273-321 (86.11 - 101.26%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I'm not certain how accurate that calculator is (it hasn't been updated since Gen V; using it since Showdown's is down and it's what Showdown's is based on). That being said, I was also running damage calculations in Showdown's calc shortly after it was revealed Mega Ray can hold items and coming to the conclusion that almost nothing* in the game avoids a 2HKO from +2 LO Dragon Ascent from Adamant Mega Rayquaza. In particular, fully physically defensive Skarmory took around 60-70% if I remember correctly, so somehow I doubt Klefki would be able to avoid it as well.

*The exceptions being Aggron, Bastiodon, and physically defensive Magnezone/Eviolite Magneton, but I seriously doubt any of those are viable in Ubers and they get mauled by Earthquake anyway

Last edited:
It actually never gets 2hkod by +2 ascend (after rocks its like a 7% chance or smth) from life orb mega ray. It can then magnet rise on the earthquake, or foul play on the attack (a 50/50). This seems unreliable, but its not supposed to be a counter; it is a check. It's however a more reliable counter than air balloon dialga, which cant switch in if mega ray goes for anything that isnt sd/dd. It can check it really really well, the worst scenario is a dead klefki and a paralysed mega ray. Don't forget spikes are really good as (most) offensive teams forgo a defog/rapid spin user!

Halcyon. Arceus fairy is a pretty good answer too, and ditto isn't completely trash because of the offense spam that is everywhere. Ditto is actually pretty good when facing mega ray/ekiller/etc so it gives you an edge vs setup spam. Arceus fairy takes 54-64% from +2 espeed and ohko's back (this is assuming a 248/40 spread, which runs 216 timid to outspeed jolly (standard) rayq). It has a ~50% chance to get ohko'd from full by +1 ascend though, so it does worse versus dragon dance variants, but sd is more common and also better imo.

Aurious I actually don't see a lot of reason why you wouldn't run sd. You say that an all-out attacking set has "extra power", however the +2 boost (which is pretty easy to set up) is the thing that makes it so threatening, being able to sweep really easily with +2 life orb espeed. The things it can't kill with espeed get wrecked by ascend, and earthquake is for dialga/klefki/diancie etc. +2 espeed does most of the things the dragon dance set does, albeit slightly worse, but it does so much more at the same time. Dragon claw is also not that great as it doesn't hit anything at all. I don't really get the idea behind draco/vcreate, because in most, if not all, cases it would be better to just set up an sd and sweep.
Does adding a boosting move in an all-offense moveset count as all-out offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)