Project ORAS Rarely Used Teambuilding Competition [Week 3 Voting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Going to close this in advance for a couple of reasons, including that The Leprechaun already has a big advantage and that OR/AS is the big thing right now. Also, I'll very likely be dropping the ownership of this thread whenever it reopens. It's been a cute ride though, and I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to make this a (sort of) big hit.

With that said, congratulations to this week's winner and to everyone else as well (edited)!

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
After an one month hiatus, the Teambuilding Competition is finally back on track! Here's ORAS's first core, with two Pokemon which were buffed with ORAS's arrival:

Nomination deadline: December 20th

Voting deadline: December 22th

Don't forget that there's no need to hold back on your contributions. Also, discussing the teams is as appreciated as posting those. With that said, have fun :)

migzoo

new money
Boost & Sweep Hyper Offense

Teambuilding Process:
The first addition to the team was Sub Klinklang, which can set up on Golbat, Alomomola, Amoonguss, and in some situations, Dragalge, all of which can give Sharpedo/Slurpuff trouble in sweeping. Furthermore, I wanted to try it out since it counters/sets up on the increasingly popular Sub CM Cresselia. That said, one could easily replace Klinklang with Sub/Taunt SD Cobalion, which is slightly more standard and less situational, but is not as effective against Cress. Next, I added Gligar, mostly for type synergy purposes. But once I did, I figured, I have a Sharpedo, might as well make it SD BP Gligar, right? At this point my team was looking pretty offensive, and with that pesky rabbit now gone, I decided to go the Hyper Offensive route. So I put in Suicide Lead Accelgor. Spikes support is very helpful, since it helps Sharpedo and Slurpuff net some KO's on threats that would otherwise stop their sweeps. Finally, I added Dragalge because I needed a special attacker. I went with a speedy Assault Vest variant. Assault Vest provides a much-needed answer to Moltres, and the speed allows it to outspeed Gligar and hopefully KO with Hydro Pump before it has a chance to Defog.

I've tested the team a bit on the ladder and in a RU room tourney, and it has served me pretty well thus far.
Try it out yourself:
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Substitute

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Earthquake

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Encore
- Bug Buzz
- Final Gambit

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Reactions: g

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Boost & Sweep Hyper Offense

Teambuilding Process:
The first addition to the team was Sub Klinklang, which can set up on Golbat, Alomomola, Amoonguss, and in some situations, Dragalge, all of which can give Sharpedo/Slurpuff trouble in sweeping. Furthermore, I wanted to try it out since it counters/sets up on the increasingly popular Sub CM Cresselia. That said, one could easily replace Klinklang with Sub/Taunt SD Cobalion, which is slightly more standard and less situational, but is not as effective against Cress. Next, I added Gligar, mostly for type synergy purposes. But once I did, I figured, I have a Sharpedo, might as well make it SD BP Gligar, right? At this point my team was looking pretty offensive, and with that pesky rabbit now gone, I decided to go the Hyper Offensive route. So I put in Suicide Lead Accelgor. Spikes support is very helpful, since it helps Sharpedo and Slurpuff net some KO's on threats that would otherwise stop their sweeps. Finally, I added Dragalge because I needed a special attacker. I went with a speedy Assault Vest variant. Assault Vest provides a much-needed answer to Moltres, and the speed allows it to outspeed Gligar and hopefully KO with Hydro Pump before it has a chance to Defog.

I've tested the team a bit on the ladder and in a RU room tourney, and it has served me pretty well thus far.
Try it out yourself:
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Substitute

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Earthquake

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Encore
- Bug Buzz
- Final Gambit

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Not really a fan of klinklang in this tier for a bunch of reasons, but something else I'd like to point out is that your team doesn't have stealth rock o.o
Maybe fit it on gligar or swap someone out for Rhyperior / Sandslash / Druddigon / etc.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Poison Fang

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Drain Punch

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Mega Sharpedo + Slurpuff is essentially a powerful offensive core that aims to wear down the opposing team for each other to sweep.
However, the core still needs SR support and cleric support. Furthermore, the core cannot perform effective in front of certain threats. This team aims to provide enough support so that the core can work effectively.

Bronzong provides a 'mon that is able to set up Stealth Rock, as well as provide a check to Mega Sceptile, which is quite dangerous. It also provides something that can deal with most of the new Mega Evolutions (Sceptile, Pidgeot, etc.) while also being a special tank. Alomomola provides Wish support, allowing the team to stay healthy while also providing a Pokemon that can deal with most physical attackers thanks to its good bulk and Scald.

Rotom-Mow and Dragalge work together to break down the opposing team with their coverage moves and power. While Rotom-Mow is not extremely powerful, it provides a useful Ground immunity and a secondary check to Mega Sceptile (HP Ice) and Mega Pidgeot (Volt Switch / Thunderbolt). Dragalge, on the other hand, fires off powerful Dragon Pulses and Draco Meteors, weakening the opposing team with ease. The Speed EVs on Dragalge allow it to outspeed 0 Speed (12 Speed, actually) base 50 Speed Pokemon. Rotom-Mow and Dragalge can both be used as late-game cleaners if needed.

Sharpedo and Slurpuff both are extremely powerful, and after their checks are weakened, can effectively sweep. Poison Fang is used on Sharpedo so that Alomomola isn't able to Wish stall you, and the Speed EVs on Slurpuff allow it to outspeed Mega Sceptile and Timid Choice Scarf Moltres while keeping a Belly Drum number after Unburden is activated.

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nitpick I think you only need 136 Speed (stat 214) to be faster than Mega Scep (427)

But related would ppl say that's the best benchmark? XY at 204 was Scarf Delphox but idk how relevant that is

200 is faster than Timid Scarf Moltres not sure if that's a thing, Modest is covered by 136

Oh yeah and also HP should be even so Sitrus activates, 52 HP works but you need to run 116 and not 120 if using 136 Spe

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fuck pictures I'm on mobile boi.

For those too lazy to read the team, it's Mega Shark/Slurpuff/Meloetta/Gligar/Eelektross/Durant

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Drain Punch

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower

So I don't think I need to explain the core. Mega Shark and Slurpuff are two potent sweepers that effectively weaken teams so the other can sweep. Specs Meloetta hits like an absolute truck, hitting things hard right off the bat to create holes where Slurpuff or Sharpedo can go to work. Gligar is the physical wall, rock setter, and Defogger. It's rising up to UU soon, so I'm enjoying it while I can (it's just that damn good) AVest Eelektross is one of my favorite pokemon, hitting decently hard, taking a good deal of special hits, and it has a slow enough Volt Switch (in comparison to the other volt switchers: Cobalion, Jolteon, Helioisk etc) to get in one of the sweepers unharmed. Home Claws Durant is another potent sweeper that serves as the antithesis to Specs Meloetta: hitting like a truck on the physical side. It's also amazing at taking out Cresselia, who often causes trouble to the rest of the team.

Hi, I hope this team isn't complete crap but i guess i'll give it a try since i guess i can learn a bit from positive criticism.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Sharedo's normal set. I thought about changing a couple of things on this set but tbh its main set is so solid that i preferred going for it given that the only change i could have made (or wanted to) is to add Supah Fang.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Frustration/Substitute

Puff here has max speed just because 204 EVs in speed is outsped by max speed Pangoro, modest Exploud, Adamant CB Tyrantrum just to name a couple and adamant to maximize its power. In the last slot you can go for sub if you hate statuses or frustration for poison types that resist D punch and PR.

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpA / 116 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Thunder Wave/Pain Split

Now, ths EV spread allows to outspeed max speed Pango/Modest Exploud. I know pango goes for adamant 99% of the time so you can change that if you want, or add a few more to outspeed base 70 or 71/72. Def/HP EVS allow you to survive a +2 acrobatics from adamant fletch after rocks and you can almost KO with V switch or KO if rocks are up, force the switch and set up sub or T wave it or incoming pokes. Given that rotom is a magnet for M scept, HP ice allows you to have a solid chance of 1HKO after rocks (+50%).

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Slowking is here mostly cuz of its "pivot capabilities" forcing switches, taking resisted and neutral hits like a boss and hitting hard with its large movepool. Flame T for Excavalier and other steel types (fire blast has shaky accuracy imo but you can go for it), Ice beam for gligar and/or M scept on the switch and Dual STABS.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

Scarf Lee deals with faster threats like Jolteon, Rock Slide for M pidgeot, Moltres etc, Knock off cuz its always good (again u can go for Stone Edge but that shit always misses when it matters the most), and P Jab cuz hitmonlee lures the few fairies on the tier, maybe it wont 2HKO but it gets a solid amount of dmg on them and can poison them.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

This is mostly a "wall"/utility set. Speed EVs are to outspeed max speed base 95 pokes, mostly Doom; the rest go to HP and def for bulk so it can take a couple of hits lighter. V switch for momentum, SR for hazards and taunt to avoid slower hazards setters to put those pesky rocks on your side or for CM/SleepTalk users to setup or Cress to properly heal off damage.

So this team has a lot of speed cripping but its mostly for annoying stuff like Pango or houndoom. Also this team handles Specs Dragalge pretty well with all the momentum and playing around Cobalion and Puffs immunity and letting it take damage from hazards if its forced out.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn
- Memento

I didn't test this or make any changes, just built it on a whim, so it might have some errors here and there. It's a really basic build built around the idea that Whimsicott could provide Memento support for Slurpuff to easily set up and sweep. I used Gligar and Cobalion for hazard control. The former can pretty much always defog while Cobalion is a fast stealth rock setter that can check some threatening Pokemon a la Sharpedo among others. I chose Fletchinder because it can lure in some steel-types and soften them so that Slurpuff won't have any trouble bypassing them as it can struggle against Bronzong sometimes, seeing as +6 Drain Punch doesn't KO. It also fairs decently well against offensive teams and revenge kills Pokemon like Sceptile, Virizion, etc.

I had Dugtrio over Whimsicott first but I felt like the team was too weak to water-types especially mola and slowking, so I was hoping Whimsicott could help fix that problem. The spread is weird but I didn't want neither the support spread nor the offensive one, I wanted something in-between, so I went with a simple max hp/max spa with Modest. It handles Alomomola fairly well but could struggle against Slowking a bit. CM Virizion could also fit in that slot but then Slurpuff can have a bit of trouble without Memento. I feel like between sharpedo, slurpuff, and fletchinder, the team should fair well against stall despite having no stall/wallbreakers, as they all can be very dangerous given the opportunity to set-up and share some checks/counters. Then there's Cobalion's Taunt and Whimsicott's encore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)