ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried breeding an H/A Ditto with a non H/A pokemon?

It could be that breeding mechanics have changed and this is the way we get our Gen 5 H/A starters?

Oh my god.

Best part about the new games == my Mega Charizard Y doll.
Suck it, Gamestop/Lamestop/Gamefop

Also the gameplay is pretty kewl so far, having only made it to the first battle with neighbor/rival. I started the game up while I was at a dog park, I was distracted.

Has anyone tried breeding an H/A Ditto with a non H/A pokemon?

It could be that breeding mechanics have changed and this is the way we get our Gen 5 H/A starters?
The breeding mechanics were changed in XY to allow for something like this.
On rare occasions, the father could pass its ability slot onto the child instead of the mother doing so.
Not saying yes or no to the concern of breeding HAs with an Imposter Ditto, but if it isn't possible with Ditto, it's certainly possible using Ditto as a first step either way.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh my god.

Best part about the new games == my Mega Charizard Y doll.
Suck it, Gamestop/Lamestop/Gamefop

Also the gameplay is pretty kewl so far, having only made it to the first battle with neighbor/rival. I started the game up while I was at a dog park, I was distracted.

The breeding mechanics were changed in XY to allow for something like this.
On rare occasions, the father could pass its ability slot onto the child instead of the mother doing so.
Not saying yes or no to the concern of breeding HAs with an Imposter Ditto, but if it isn't possible with Ditto, it's certainly possible using Ditto as a first step either way.
Not sure where you heard this, but it's totally false. The only scenario in which a father can pass down a hidden ability is when it is breeding with Ditto (i.e., the offspring is the same species as the father).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
SO, spent my first day playing Alpha Sapphire and it's great so far! Some initial thoughts since there's no point in telling every step of my journey:

1. Liked the intro, a nice nod to the original games and also pretty neat way of opening up the game. I kind of wish they do this for the other games as you get a better feel of the Pokemon world seeing it then being told about it from the Professor. Also this saves them from having to make a high quality Professor Birch model.
2. Surprised to see they remembered/releazed the Badges needed a button in the back in order to pin onto something, it actually makes them feel like real items somehow.
3. Music is MARVELOUS! From what I heard so far they hit it out of the park, and I only just finished up Mauville City.
4. The DexNav is a neat little gadget. I've gotten some "good" things from it, but nothing I've using on my team right now. Actually no, I'm using a Vigor0th with Crush Claw, but I'm debating whether to keep him or not. I think once I beat the game I'll go around raising the levels of my searches.
5. Participated in a Pokemon Contest. I was glad to see them come back, but the game was so kind to remind me why I didn't participate in them in the original games...
6. What in the world did they do to the Item Finder/Dowsing Machine? It's now this weird antenna hat thing which is annoying to use since it doesn't point me in the direction of the hidden item! I have to run around like a fool until it decides to alert me where the hidden item is. Also why can't I sneak in it? If it was like in XY I could understand why, but the thing is attached to your head and in no way hampering your movement.
7. Hint to make easy money early: In the marketplace in Slateport there's a lady selling the Incenses. The Luck Incense is pretty much the Amulet Coin. That should solve your money problems right there. However if you still want to make more money then I suggest rebattling the Rich Boy and Lady on Route 104 over and over again, They give you 3k each time you beat them with the Luck Incense. If they don't want to battle just go around and battle the other trainer on Route 104, Route 102, in Petalburg Woods, and Route 116. Sooner or later they'll want to battle again.
8. Speaking of which, boy do trainers like to rebattle! Originally wen I saw some trainers wanting to rebattle I thought it was because I just beat Roxanne thus they have a new battle ready. As it turns out, if you beat a few trainers they'll want to rebattle soon again and they don't raise the levels of their Pokemon. It's pretty much easy money and experience. By the time I realized that I was a bit overleveled and had tons of money.
9. There's a lot of references to Kalos. There's also references to the other regions, but there's moreso for Kalos. Market wise it makes sense, this is a Gen VI game, but in-game wise it kind of feels odd. Birch has a book that's specifically just for Hoenn & Kalos Pokemon, Mauville City is apparently connected to Lumiose City, it just seems strange.
10. Can't think of anything else. My team is coming along... nicely? I don't know, my team is weird. My main 2 is my starter (Treecho who's a Grovyle (and yes, he has Giga Drain)) and Kirlia (who I'm gonna let evolve into a Gardevoir since it has a nature which increases Speed but decreases Attack). As for my other party members? First is a Hariyama who was the Makuhita you got in a trade in Rustboro, then there's a Breloom who's my False Swiper (though he does have Mach Punch too), I then have a Tentacool I'm training up to be my Surfer, and finally that Vigoroth. Odd team to be sure, but really haven't found anything that I can replace someone with. We'll see what happens, I have plenty of other boxed mons so I do have others to fall back on it need be. In addition I'm not too shy about using a Legendary against the Elite Four & Champion (because if you give it to me it means you're giving me permission to use it, and these are suppose to be Elite Trainers so they should be able to handle a Legendary anyway, right?).

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, now that the way to obtain legendaries in ORAS are slowly coming to light, is there a possibility for a SR'd legendary thread where people can distribute/obtain decent battle spot legendaries? Something like the one EnGarde has over at the wifi section.

Speaking of SR-ing, apparently the story Latis and Cosplaychu have a 100% synchronize rate. It's a shame it doesn't apply for all legendaries though :/

Something I just noticed. Legendary Pokemon in ORAS always have at least 4 perfect IVs! My Groudon and Latios both have 4 perfect ones.

EDIT: Seems only certain legendaries will have 4 perfect IVs. Or I got lucky.

Last edited:
Actually I just tested with Uxie and Tornadus. They only had 3 perfect IVs. Either I got extremely lucky, or only certain Legendary Pokemon will have 4 perfect IVs such as Latios and Groudon. I have to look more into this.

I don't suppose anyone has checked Parental Bond for a nerf? IIRC someone at game freak mentioned they were thinking about it ages ago, and ORAS makes the most sense for the change.

Not that it matters when we're still dealing with MLuc and MMence and all the rest, great job there GF :D

Also an SR'd legendary thread would be really helpful. It'll divert all the "Diancie: Keep or Toss" posts that have been cluttering up the wifi simple questions and answers thread. Plus a reminder that the Genies you catch won't have their HAs would be appreciated...

EDIT: odds of 4 perfect IVs isn't all that rare actually. If I haven't forgotten my probability maths, it's P(chance of at least 1 31 out of 3), so P(1) - P(no 31s in those three), => 1-(31/32*31/32*31/32) is about 0.09, or one in ten, ish. Which isn't bad odds, for an "at least" an extra 31.

Last edited:
I was right, you do Surf faster if you use Sharpedo! Well, when I get the game I will use Sharpedo as a Surf slave.
I'm reading through the rest of the script and text to see other things like this.The text for Sea Mauville is... interesting. Did not expect to see the word "unionization" in a Pokemon game...

I was right, you do Surf faster if you use Sharpedo! Well, when I get the game I will use Sharpedo as a Surf slave.
I'm reading through the rest of the script and text to see other things like this.The text for Sea Mauville is... interesting. Did not expect to see the word "unionization" in a Pokemon game...
I wonder if a Pokémon's base Speed determines it's surfing speed. The fastest Surf user is Greninja (unless I'm missing something). But I think Floatzel should be worth a try, at least to see if Swift Swim affects surfing.

I picked up a copy of Alpha Sapphire this morning.

What I've done today:
Picked up Treecko as my starter
Caught a Thunder Famg Poochyena
Currently SRing for a decent Beldum.
Pokebank'd all of my pokemon from pokemon Y after many hours of trying to get through the server.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm thoroughly enjoying the game so far. I spent a long time messing around with the Dex Nav before finally resetting the game and playing normally. I'm currently on the route above Mauville with a Lv24 Gallade and a Lv24 Marshtomp. I'm planning to pick up a couple more Pokémon on the next few routes.

I've actually had really great luck. I ran into a shiny Zigzagoon on the route east of Rustboro and a shiny Volbeat on the route between Mauville and Verdanturf. Neither of them have great natures or abilities (Modest/Gluttony and Careful/Illuminate, respectively), but they're cool nonetheless.

Picked Treecko as my starter, ran into a Seedot that I wanted to train (but decided not to), and then DevNav'd a Shroomish with Drain Punch. Too much grass types.

Also DexNav'd an Electrike with Flame Burst. DexNav is wonderful.

Any word also on whether you can trigger the Regigigas/Landorus catch events with NON-ORAS legends? I want to get straight to catching Landorus without having to catch a Tornadus first.

Given how much of this game you spend Surfing, I'm sorely tempted to try and push for Sharpedo in S-rank due to unique utility as soon as the in-game tiers thread appears.

Because god damn that's a timesaver. You could easily justify an amount of babying that'd be ridiculous for other Pokémon, because Sharpedo would still save you time in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)