Hardest video game bosses

Those two praying mantises from Jet Force Gemini wrecked the shit out of me for so long. I finally gave up after a few weeks, returning every month or so to get crushed some more. I never even made it to the actual final boss, who's supposed to be crazy difficult from what I've heard.

It's been over a decade since I've touched it, so perhaps the time is right for me to dust off my N64 when I get back home. Might just start from scratch, since I'm sure I missed hidden weapons upgrades along the way as a kid and I'd probably get a kick out of the cutscenes.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Currently having major issues with Kishgal from Ys Origins. You don't actually need to beat him to advance in the game, but if you wear him down to 50% you get an achievement, but even on Normal difficulty I feel incredibly challenged. My biggest concerns are his tornado move and ice borders, and the fact that I need to restart and click through a long conversation each time I lose (since 'winning' isn't mandatory) only serves to salt my wounds. >:V

Shao Khan from the MK reboot is very hard... To win against it you pratically need to use Raiden and resort to his cheap special attacks... Very annoying

Those two praying mantises from Jet Force Gemini wrecked the shit out of me for so long. I finally gave up after a few weeks, returning every month or so to get crushed some more. I never even made it to the actual final boss, who's supposed to be crazy difficult from what I've heard.

It's been over a decade since I've touched it, so perhaps the time is right for me to dust off my N64 when I get back home. Might just start from scratch, since I'm sure I missed hidden weapons upgrades along the way as a kid and I'd probably get a kick out of the cutscenes.
i played jfg a few months back and didn't find the game to be incredibly hard (except for the collect-a-thon bits and a few ambushes). if memory serves you have to play tight against the mantises and spam the rocket launcher. its easier when the controls are turok style.

For me it was either Seperoth from KH or Oristein and Smough from Dark Souls. I actually never beat Speroth(I was young and dont own Kingdom Hearts anymore. But Orstein and smough I insisted on doing to without any help so it was a bitch to beat.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fucking Motaro from Mortal Kombat on the SNES. Seriously fuck that guy. I legit had to get my mum of all people to beat it for me the first time. Although that was many years ago now, my SNES is still in storage. I should try again.

Mfw my mum doesn't even play video games, she's just fucking sick at Mortal Kombat :I

Another one would be the El Gigante gatling gun battle for Resident Evil 5 on Pro difficulty. We beat every level on pro, but were stuck on that for god knows how long.

Trying to fight any boss on any of the Devil May Cry games on the harder difficulty is also a horrible gaming experience.

Has anyone here played Outlast on the PS4? Aside from insane difficulty being a joke, in the sense that why the living hell would you play that as a form of entertainment, the fact that you can't even fight back makes things into something way worse than any horror movie I've ever watched.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could remember a game on the sega megadrive that I believe to be called something along the lines of 'Warden'. The title may be longer but me and my dad used to play it on sega megadrive, and we can't remember or find it online anywhere.

Anyway, there was a boss, and I swear to this day it was one of the hardest and most frustrating things I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Alduin,from Skyrim.I mean holy shit I couldn't even beat him with a full set of daedric armor,flyin in the air an shit what a pussy,come down here and fight me bich

Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls are pretty tough, but I don't have as much trouble with them now that I've been playing the game for a while.

The Four Kings might pass for difficult in regular runs, except they're just a gear check. All you have to do is put on Stone/Havel's, swing at the dudes, and chug estus

They're an entirely different story in SL1

i had to do it alone though

summoning was for weenies to me back then

i still think summoning defeats the purpose of the SL1 run

it took me 10 hours to get to O&S on my SL1 character

it took me another 10 to beat O&S

I'm way too reckless on that game to do a SL1 run. I'd more then likely die multiple times to everything, get frustrated and quit. Also how the hell did you manage to beat them SL1?

I'm way too reckless on that game to do a SL1 run. I'd more then likely die multiple times to everything, get frustrated and quit. Also how the hell did you manage to beat them SL1?
Patience, running in circles throwing fire at Ornstein, and making Smough break the pillars for to cheese with crossbow

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
the bed of chaos from dark souls is the only boss ive hard serious trouble with in a game just because i had no idea what i was doing

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Echoing all the KH bosses people mentioned while adding the bonus one in BBS that isn't Vanitus (which I would haves mentioned if he didn't have 2 exploits that threw the difficulty out the window). Gave you literally no room to attack and his Magnet whip or whatever is complete BS since it stunned you and was pretty much gg unless you got extremly lucky.

Last edited:
Since half the complaints are Dark Souls and Kingdom Hearts, I'll break up the monotony. Personally, I rage quit against the last boss in Persona 3 for the PS2, though that may have been more because of BS mechanics than straight-up difficulty. For those who haven't played it, here it is in a hide tag if you're interested:

it's basically a 13-stage boss fight in a turn-based RPG and only 1 of the 4 party members are directly controlled by the player. If any die and are revived mid-fight, they take turns before you can change the command priorites (i.e. heal, attack, defend, etc.). This is compounded by the boss having 2 stages where he casts spells that can auto-kill. This wouldn't be too bad except when you get to the last stage of the fight, he starts using a BS skill that will basically auto-kill anyone that attacks it like say party members whom you can't tell to stop attacking until they run right into it. To top it off when he stops using the skill (after about 3 turns) he uses an attack that inflicts pretty much any status condition in the game on your characters. My final 2 attempts went as follows: 1. AI character gets Charmed, which in this game means he'll attack allies OR heal your enemies. Nothing like having to fight a final boss using his broken attacks (normally reserved for when he's almost dead) while it's at FULL HEALTH. In the final attempt the RNG basically abused the Knockdown system and robbed me of 3 turns, so I couldn't tell the retarded AI members to START HEALING THEMSELVES BEFORE THEY DIE.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If any die and are revived mid-fight, they take turns before you can change the command priorites (i.e. heal, attack, defend, etc.). In the final attempt the RNG basically abused the Knockdown system and robbed me of 3 turns, so I couldn't tell the retarded AI members to START HEALING THEMSELVES BEFORE THEY DIE.
I honestly have no clue what you are talking about.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
In the console versions of persona 3 you don't actually control your party members, the most you can do is provide super generic guidance commands for their AI.
Uh yeah I played that version. You just don't give them guidance. Pick only party members who are gonna be useful and tailor your personas to the fights in question.

It's not like AI isn't an issue in Persona 3, I just don't understand how it's a unique issue in that boss fight.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
This is probably really subjective and can probably be overcome with skill/OP items but...

ONLY ON FLOOR 1/2

This thing is one of the most broken first floor bosses in the history of existence and I wish it would die/be nerfed. Seriously, most anyone who has played the binding of isaac: rebirth can tell you how literally awful this boss is to face early-game if you have any plans of tryna get a deal with the devil (something that gives usually great items but has a small chance of being accessed if you take red heart damage).

Now to the boss

Fittingly named The Haunt, this boss will give you nightmares.

1st phase: Arguably the more tame phase of the two, the haunt kinda floats around the room while he sends 3 Lil' Haunts (one of the fastest and most accurate enemies from my experiences, earlygame.) At first he sends one, which is okay but not super hard, and then he sends 2 after you when you kill the 1st one which for some reason is leagues harder than just one if you have no speed/damage upgrades, which isn't an unlikely situation, considering how early this thing spawns.

2nd phase: After killing the Lil' Haunts, this happens:

This thing flies up to the wall and proceeds to become one of the most annoying pieces of crap ever, moving left and right on the top wall. The haunt in his 2nd phase has many potent attacks, that all do good damage. It's moderately fast, arriving about the same speed as Isaac's base speed, and that isn't even the fastest thing about it. I've gotten slightly better at this boss fight ever since I first fought him but i still find this thing extremely unfair for the basement unless you use azazel.

Other things i hate about The Haunt:

- One of two bosses who has access to brimstone shots on floor 1
- He can quickly reverse his direction without telegraphing in a lightning-fast charge attack whih is very, very hard to avoid.
- You HAVE to have either a ton of skill or a select few items to reliably stomp this thing; otherwise I find it unfair

Uh yeah I played that version. You just don't give them guidance. Pick only party members who are gonna be useful and tailor your personas to the fights in question.

It's not like AI isn't an issue in Persona 3, I just don't understand how it's a unique issue in that boss fight.
Personally, at the time it felt more annoying because if the turn priority got messed up in any way (i.e. boss makes move, then AI then you) then the last quarter of the last stage becomes rather annoying since if it puts up the shield, you end up with dead party members without really getting a say in the matter and what free turns I get are largely spent wasting items and MP over applying offensive pressure in what few turns I have prior to the shield going back up. I wouldn't mind this so much if it didn't go through 2 stages where it decides it's going to try Horn Drilling your party members. 20/20 it's not nearly as hard as some of the stuff listed (then again comparing a turn-based RPG to Dark Souls in terms of difficulty is ludicrous unto itself) and I probably could get around the AI part now that I think back (reflects and what not). I just don't particularly like getting haxed by random status ailments after like an hour into a battle causing my imminent death (said a guy on a competitive Pokemon site).

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Storywise, the boss that I probably had the most issues with was the Shadow Queen from Paper Mario TTYD, I actually had to have a friend beat it for me. When we get into the fun that is post game bosses, the list suddenly becomes very final fantasy. The worst that I've seen in a game, albeit not actually fought, would be the ninetales gang from megaman x command mission. It's a 9 boss fight (healing in between enabled, I think I got to like twotales). The preferable strategy for beating ninetales is getting lucky when he uses his area of affect 60% ohko move and hoping that he uses his one person insta kill attack on Axl when he has temporary invincibility enabled.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Personally, at the time it felt more annoying because if the turn priority got messed up in any way (i.e. boss makes move, then AI then you) then the last quarter of the last stage becomes rather annoying since if it puts up the shield, you end up with dead party members without really getting a say in the matter and what free turns I get are largely spent wasting items and MP over applying offensive pressure in what few turns I have prior to the shield going back up. I wouldn't mind this so much if it didn't go through 2 stages where it decides it's going to try Horn Drilling your party members. 20/20 it's not nearly as hard as some of the stuff listed (then again comparing a turn-based RPG to Dark Souls in terms of difficulty is ludicrous unto itself) and I probably could get around the AI part now that I think back (reflects and what not). I just don't particularly like getting haxed by random status ailments after like an hour into a battle causing my imminent death (said a guy on a competitive Pokemon site).
Persona 3 is a very hard game. Just mostly not for unfair reasons. You should be using Personas that are immune to certain status ailments. Breeding Personas is the entire strategic basis of that game.

Persona 3 is a very hard game. Just mostly not for unfair reasons. You should be using Personas that are immune to certain status ailments. Breeding Personas is the entire strategic basis of that game.
Probably a fair argument. I honestly can't remember what Persona I had at the time anymore. Also what horrible game emphasizes breeding monsters just to gain a strategic advantage over other monsters that use certain types of attacks :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)