Gen 6 Mega Rayquaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
imo best set is double dance (dd / sd / dragon ascent / eq)

choosing which checks to be able to outpower from the turn its sent out is pretty valuable. espeed isn't that useful since it only is used against ekiller if it's already weakened and it outspeeds all scarfers anyway. rays inherently bulky enough to withstand almost any prio, so i see almost no reason not to run double dance

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
imo best set is double dance (dd / sd / dragon ascent / eq)

choosing which checks to be able to outpower from the turn its sent out is pretty valuable. espeed isn't that useful since it only is used against ekiller if it's already weakened and it outspeeds all scarfers anyway. rays inherently bulky enough to withstand almost any prio, so i see almost no reason not to run double dance
I'm going to assume it should run Adamant for that set?

I used a jolly sd set (sd / dragon ascent / eq / espeed) with life orb and it's arguably one of the if not the most threatening mons I've ever seen. I don't think there even is a thing which can switch in its stab move after some hazard. A +2 dragon ascent knocks out groudon and it's faster than adamant arceus and most defensiv variants (also lives any attack by jolly arceus or unboosted espeed). Obviously, you don't really need espeed as dice said and can run dd instead, but it was always nice to have in my case.

Also the only reason I used jolly is to not straight out lose to other m-rayquaza, because arceus uses espeed in most cases anyway. Though I think a +2 espeed from m-ray does knock out opposing rayquazas, but I'm not sure because I wasn't in that situation yet and the showdown calc is down right now.

Been playing a lot of battles and Lugia is the closest thing to a counter for both PGroudon and Mega Rayquaza if you can play smart with it. Reflect is mandatory but with it, it can handle Mega Ray 1 on 1 or just try to pressure it into not getting an SD up if switching into this thing and it also handles PGroudon pretty well as longest you don't play stupidly like switching into Fire Punches with SR up. Max/max EVs too of course (duh).

This doesn't sound right. According to this damage calculator here:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 273-321 (86.11 - 101.26%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I'm not certain how accurate that calculator is (it hasn't been updated since Gen V; using it since Showdown's is down and it's what Showdown's is based on). That being said, I was also running damage calculations in Showdown's calc shortly after it was revealed Mega Ray can hold items and coming to the conclusion that almost nothing* in the game avoids a 2HKO from +2 LO Dragon Ascent from Adamant Mega Rayquaza. In particular, fully physically defensive Skarmory took around 60-70% if I remember correctly, so somehow I doubt Klefki would be able to avoid it as well.

*The exceptions being Aggron, Bastiodon, and physically defensive Magnezone/Eviolite Magneton, but I seriously doubt any of those are viable in Ubers and they get mauled by Earthquake anyway
Am I missing something here? I thought Klefki was Fairy type, and thus immune to Mega Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent? Dragon Ascent's Flying type >.<

This doesn't sound right. According to this damage calculator here:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 273-321 (86.11 - 101.26%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I'm not certain how accurate that calculator is (it hasn't been updated since Gen V; using it since Showdown's is down and it's what Showdown's is based on). That being said, I was also running damage calculations in Showdown's calc shortly after it was revealed Mega Ray can hold items and coming to the conclusion that almost nothing* in the game avoids a 2HKO from +2 LO Dragon Ascent from Adamant Mega Rayquaza. In particular, fully physically defensive Skarmory took around 60-70% if I remember correctly, so somehow I doubt Klefki would be able to avoid it as well.

*The exceptions being Aggron, Bastiodon, and physically defensive Magnezone/Eviolite Magneton, but I seriously doubt any of those are viable in Ubers and they get mauled by Earthquake anyway
That calculator is Showdown's, just on a different host. Your klefki isn't holding leftovers, my calc wasn't wrong.

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
At the moment, I'm using xatu + lugia, as the only way lugia can somewhat check rayquaza is by multiscale and if SR is up, then its probably over. Xatu is fine vs sr users like dialga, deo-s etc but groudon with fire punch is a problem. I used xatu + lugia in a tour yesterday which was held in the ubers room and won that, xatu + lugia were fine at checking ray.

Besides this, from what I've seen, there are only two ways of dealing with ray till now.

1: ditto can save your team from the opposing rayquaza but will get damaged badly during that because opposing ray can still hit ditto with espeed.

2:"There is no viable counterplay as far as I have seen. Make sure your own mega Ray wins before your opponent's" ~ hack

Alright now that we've had fun with mega Ray for a good day or so, I was wondering what people use to supposedly play around it or deal with mega Ray. Someone enlighten please
Right now, running max HP max SPE Arcues with Light Clay and duel screens, Dragons Ascent Hurts like a bitch, but with Return you can cripple Rayquaza who is at -1 defenses. Also the duel screens allow other pokemon to switch in on Mega Rayquaza or the screens allow you to set up easier with your own Mega Rayquaza.

Even with adamant, Mega Rayquaza outspeeds base 100s like Palkia. Play with webs and most revenge killing scarfers are outsped and destroyed by SD boosted Dragon Ascents.

Mega Aggron can handle purely physical sets. Toxic is mandatory for the inevitable P-Groudon switch-in, and Metal Burst can be used to secure an OHKO against it.

Has anybody thought of a good weakness policy set?

Set name: Bulky Offense

Rayquaza Weakness Policy
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk/SpA, 252 Spe
Any nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Acent
- Fire Blast/V-create

Rayquaza has no 4x weaknesses and alot of bulk. In one turn a +3 mega rayquaza on the physical side and +2 on the special side is no joke.

Last edited:
people have been dissing base ray just because this exist but i think those lines of thought stupid unless ray is the only mega capable mon on a team because the way it megas it can be kept in base and saved until needed or not used at all if mega ray isn't needed allowing tactics that aren't possible with other megas.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
I think the weakness policy set should run at least enough to KO Ekiller after SR Damage at +1, since Ekiller is just about one of the only things able to take it out with a neutral attack (Extreme Speed). Sounds gimmicky as hell but the set could work.

IMO All I have to say is, screw V-Create. STAB makes Dragon Ascent just as powerful without lowering Speed.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who is aware of how much potential Mega Ray has by being able to Mega Evolve WITHOUT a Mega Stone.

Last edited:
IMO All I have to say is, screw V-Create. STAB makes Dragon Ascent more powerful at 180.
Then it's not stronger and actually both have the same power :P

But Dragon Ascent is obviously more useful for two reasons: 180 base Special Attack means it does not really need to use a physical Fire-type move for coverage (And that most targets of Fire-type moves are specially weaker), and that V-Create lowers Speed, Mega-Ray's likely most important stat.

Then it's not stronger and actually both have the same power :P

But Dragon Ascent is obviously more useful for two reasons: 180 base Special Attack means it does not really need to use a physical Fire-type move for coverage (And that most targets of Fire-type moves are specially weaker), and that V-Create lowers Speed, Mega-Ray's likely most important stat.
I just checked, and you're right. Stupid memory made me think it had a Base Power of 140.

And I actually would have pointed out the Speed part, but again, stupid memory.

Edited my previous post accordingly.

I think ExtremeSpeed deserves a place in the All-Out-Attacking set. In my opinion, the utility offered by priority warrants a slash.

I was looking forward to using things like mega sableye and mega diancie but now that mega ray can hold items why would i not use the single strongest mon in the game that not using it will almost be a disadvantage for me?
r.i.p a diverse metagame
I think until after you've cleared the Delta Episode, which comes after you beat the Pokemon League once, you actually might want to use one of those Mons until then.

If my calcs are correct, 0/0 neutral Xern just barely lives +2 ES from Adamant LO M-Ray w/o SR. 128 Def EVs allows you to survive either way.

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
128 Def/?SpA/?Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- who cares

Might actually be worth using to revenge this damn thing. Provided your opponent's P-Don is dead, of course. X_X

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)