Gen 6 Mega Rayquaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try Sableye(Will-O-Wisp) and another poke would be Avalugg as it is a great physically defensive ice type and can retaliate with Avalanche.

Do some calcs on Avalugg surviving a hit please.
252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 302-356 (76.8 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 300-355 (76.3 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Gladly. Also no one got the pun smh

Edit: This is my 400th? ok........Also Mega Aggron is a much better check than Avalugg, as it makes balance or stall somehow playable and does the exact same thing.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
well mega aggron also comes with the oppertunity cost of "you can't use mega rayquaza," so in a sense it's actually a worse check than avalugg is.

...you know it's kind of stupid when not being able to use the mon you're trying to check is considered a major flaw against another mon's ability to check said mon.

well mega aggron also comes with the oppertunity cost of "you can't use mega rayquaza," so in a sense it's actually a worse check than avalugg is.

...you know it's kind of stupid when not being able to use the mon you're trying to check is considered a major flaw against another mon's ability to check said mon.
This is true, but even though Mega Rayquaza is super powerful, most people are not going to use it on full stall or on defensive teams in general (BulkUp RestTalk pls), in which Mega Aggron is an overall better fit in terms of playstyle of said team and traits that make it stand ou (i.e. phazing out most Mega Ray variants but not all), but should be used with other blanket checks such as Lugia to maximize effectiveness of checking Rayquaza. The Mega argument rn is very true for offensive teams (the main Mega choices for HO or offense in general are Ray and Gengar), but on balance or stall, where Rayquaza does not fit in with the team archetype, other Megas can be used to patch up team holes or requirements (i.e. Mega Aggron for Ray check, Diancie for Heal Bell+extra hazard control, etc.). I mean for defensive teams there are very, very few checks to Mega Ray if at all, so Mega Aggron fills that niche while fitting in to defensive team archetypes.

Also, MixQuaza is insane. This thing KOs every bulky Ground in the game and runs over non-Max Speed Arc with DA. If you want a full-on wallbreaker, MixRay is the one to go with.

252 SpA Life Orb Rayquaza Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arceus: 300-355 (67.5 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 242-285 (54.5 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even if you get burned you can still destroy most Arceus variants, which is near tyrannical in proportions.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Would Surf be a viable option to check Primal Groudon? With LO you probably don't even need to invest in SpA unless you want to OHKO bulkier varients.

Reactions: zbr
Mega Rayquaza 252+ +2 Earthquake vs. 252/252+ Primal Groudon: 101% - 119.3% (guaranteed OHKO)
Mega Rayquaza 252+ +2 Dragon Ascent vs. 252/252+ Primal Groudon: 90.6% - 106.9% (guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)

I don't think you need Surf on SD sets just to hit Primal Groudon.

Mega Rayquaza 252+ +2 Earthquake vs. 252/252+ Primal Groudon: 101% - 119.3% (guaranteed OHKO)
Mega Rayquaza 252+ +2 Dragon Ascent vs. 252/252+ Primal Groudon: 90.6% - 106.9% (guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)

I don't think you need Surf on SD sets just to hit Primal Groudon.
Dude how do you insert images on an RMT thread? I went to images and copied the URLs into my RMT but they only show a small piece of paper and not the images.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Besides P-Don, what are the best teammates for Mega-Ray?

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 176 HP / 152 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant nature
- Iron Head
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish
- Trick / Icy Wind(?) / Body Slam(?)

This thing does a lot of work with mega ray by luring in Primal Groudon or another Ground-type, getting off a U-Turn into Rayquaza so it can Mega Evolve against said Ground-type and set up, murder siad Ground-type, or whatever comes in, next turn, and if Mega Rayquaza eats a Dragon Claw from Primal Groudon and is put in E-Killer range, you can bring it back later with Healing Wish to murder the rest of the team. Jirachi is also a Moonblast sponge to help when you mis-predict around a Choice Scarf Xerneas among other things like Draco Meteor from a Scarf Dialga (I assume this will be used in early ORAS at least). It supports Rayquaza well and has phenomenal defensive synergy with it, what more could you want from a teammate.

Last edited:
Dude how do you insert images on an RMT thread? I went to images and copied the URLs into my RMT but they only show a small piece of paper and not the images.
Uh... kinda unrelated but.. u have to make sure that the url ends with the picture file, something like .jpg or .png etc.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 176 HP / 152 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant nature
- Iron Head
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish
- Trick / Icy Wind(?) / Body Slam(?)

This thing does a lot of work with mega ray by luring in Primal Groudon or another Ground-type, getting off a U-Turn into Rayquaza so it can Mega Evolve against said Ground-type and set up, murder siad Ground-type, or whatever comes in, next turn, and if Mega Rayquaza eats a Dragon Claw from Primal Groudon and is put in E-Killer range, you can bring it back later with Healing Wish to murder the rest of the team. Jirachi is also a Moonblast sponge to help when you mis-predict around a Choice Scarf Xerneas among other things like Draco Meteor from a Scarf Dialga (I assume this will be used in early ORAS at least). It supports Rayquaza well and has phenomenal defensive synergy with it, what more could you want from a teammate.
This set is pretty cool, but have you thought about ice beam in the last slot? It does a clean 40-48% which isn't bad at all, since it now turns jirachi into something that can check mega ray in a pinch. While it isnt reliable at all, it is pretty likely for ray to be down to around half health already if it is a life orb variant. Even if it has more health, I think it is worth it to help check the best pokemon we have. As for the spread, it might be cool to run enough to outspeed deo-a, which is pretty common with all the hyper offence spam. 228 ev's/293 do the job, having a 60% chance to make its endeavours useless is pretty neat. You could make up for the lost bulk by hitting an atk jump point at 136 ev's. If you want to keep it a bulkier, then I don't really see a purpose for all this speed. While edgar was right in that it is worth it to outspeed scarf kyogre, this is not the case anymore (unless you really want to outspeed 252 pogre on webs N_n). 168 ev's is enough to outspeed mm2y, but lol wait oops never mind thats not a thing people rle use with megamence around xD. 108 outspeeds regular mewtwo. You can then invest 176 atk ev's, which hits a jumpoint, and have more leftover bulk which helps in taking random hits from megaray. tldr; 176/176+/48/108

Btw I'm being super 'nitpicky' because I think this set is really cool :]

how about relaxed Diancie? Don't want to resort to something gimmicky as Shuca but should be able to come in into an unboosted Mega Ray

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jirachi does not learn Ice Beam, so... Release the draco meteor!

There is also no way that Diancie could take earthquake better than Primal Groudon without berry or air balloon. 50 BS in HP hurts

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 96-113 (31.5 - 37.1%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 216-255 (71 - 83.8%)

It can't take both hits in a row

Is bulky Mega Aerodactyl a reliable answer to Mega Rayquaza? It resists Flying, Normal and Fire and it's immune to Ground. I don't think Mega Ray has room for its Dragon STAB on its sets (except the all-out attacking one), so Mega Aero can take a hit, is faster even before mega evolving, has reliable recovery in the form of Roost and can hit back with a Tough Claw-boosted Dragon Claw. However its bulk is rather mediocre by ubers standards with just 80/85/95 defenses.
By virtue of its typing, it also resists PDon's STABs (though it can't really do anything back other than use Toxic a weak unboosted EQ).
Then again, it suffers from the same issue as Mega Aggron: by mega evolving Aerodacty you forfeit the chance to Mega evolve your own Rayquaza, meaning its opportunity cost is excessive.

Is bulky Mega Aerodactyl a reliable answer to Mega Rayquaza? It resists Flying, Normal and Fire and it's immune to Ground. I don't think Mega Ray has room for its Dragon STAB on its sets (except the all-out attacking one), so Mega Aero can take a hit, is faster even before mega evolving, has reliable recovery in the form of Roost and can hit back with a Tough Claw-boosted Dragon Claw. However its bulk is rather mediocre by ubers standards with just 80/85/95 defenses.
By virtue of its typing, it also resists PDon's STABs (though it can't really do anything back other than use Toxic a weak unboosted EQ).
Then again, it suffers from the same issue as Mega Aggron: by mega evolving Aerodacty you forfeit the chance to Mega evolve your own Rayquaza, meaning its opportunity cost is excessive.
Just did some calcs. If you run some HP EV's, it can take a Dragon Ascent + Extremespeed. Also unrelated but if anyone is missing the PS damage calculator: http://gamut-was-taken.github.io/ and:

0 Atk Tough Claws Dragon Claw does 92.8-109.4% to -1 Mega Ray.

Last edited:
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Aerodactyl: 143-169 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Aerodactyl: 64-75 (17.5 - 20.6%) -- 71.2% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Tough Claws Dragon Claw does 92.8-109.4% to -1 Mega Ray.
You forgot to take Mega Ray's boosted defense in account:

0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Dragon Claw vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 296-350 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

It should also be noted that 252 EV Adamant Mega Rayquaza reaches 329 speed, while Impish Mega Aero has 336 with no speed investiment.

Been said that:

Aerodactyl@Aerodactylite
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Impish nature
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Roost
-Taunt/Roar/Toxic

It can check some of the most dangerous physical sweepers in ubers such as Arceus, Mega Ray, Ho-oh and PDon so it's not entirely useless aside from checking Mega Ray.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)