Other Smogon Doubles: Sunshine's Presence

Which Of My RMT Looks Stronger?

• Rain Sweep Team ( http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-doubles-rain-sweep-team.3510143/ )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunshine's Presence

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
For a long time I had a rain sweep team ( http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-doubles-rain-sweep-team.3510143/ ) which I had tampered with off and on for quite some time, and although it did fairly well in the ranks, I thought I'd try something that I truly wanted to do, a sun team! At first I thought I'd be too difficult to develop a team that would really make a good presence against the competition of Smogon/Showdown. But somehow, some way, I developed a sun team that did phenomenally better than my rain sweep team! (As this team peaked at 1500 in the ladder)

So my team goes as follows...

"Morning Sunrise"
Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam

Now this Ninetales features quite a classic set with its Drought ability. But of course how can you have a Ninetales without Drought? Speed Evs combined with Sunny Day help provide against weather threats such as Politoed or Tyrannitar is on the field, so the Ninetales can out-speed opposing weather threats right off before they become too much of a nuisance. What you may notice with Ninetales and some others on my team is that Heat Wave is heavily present for the obvious reason of its additional power with Sunny Day and its ability to hit both opponents as well as the small hax chance that it burns, all of which tend to only move the team along quite nicely

"Sunny Sweeping Delight"
Charizard / Mega Charizard Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power / Drought
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- SolarBeam

This is the most obvious of any successful sun team, a bad-A Charizard / Mega Charizard Y! And of course why wouldn't one choose this flaming monster? With its sheer power in addition to sun and drought ability, it makes it such an offensive threat that the opponent is only thinking of when I'll be summoning this beast. It's a pretty classic set, however you may notice that I placed it with a timid nature. And why you ask? Well basically I tend to use this guy towards the end of the battle when Ninetale's sun summoning has ended, and what's most essential towards the end of the battle when it comes down to getting that last shot? Speed, or at least I think so. hahaha

"Smash 'Em and Leave No Remains"
Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Two things. Dim out the opponents physical attack presence with Intimidate, and up your own with a Life Orb. This Arcanine handles various threats with its physical attacks, and smashes out typical problems by either out-speeding it with an Extreme speed, using Close Combat for expanded coverage, or Flare Blitz for a real fire type physical attack. Arcanine takes care of things that falter with for rest of the team, and it performs well to show it.

"Completely Filled With Nonsense"
Jumpluff @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam / Helping Hand
- Synthesis

Of all the Pokemon I could have used as the "Chlorophyll" Pokemon. Jumpluff somehow latched out as the supreme of all of them, even if Jumpluff is typically underestimated. With its already high base stat speed, Chlorophyll brings Jumpluff's to ridiculously high levels, making it commonly faster than the majority of Pokemon (Its 26th-33rd Fastest Pokemon of all Pokemon by base speed and that's BEFORE Chlorophyll!) Because of this, Jumpluff's Sleep Powder can make quite the mess out of the opponent's plans. Synthesis helps greatly when Jumpluff can manage to bulk out an attack, and plus Synthesis makes quite a good recovery in the sun. Giga Drain helps for some good STAB. Focus Sash goes in hand quite well with Jumpluff because of how easily a Jumpluff can be OHKO'd, but because of Focus Sash, priority moves won't wreck Jumpluff's holiday. Dazzling Gleam and Helping Hand are almost a filler move, Dazzling Gleam can knick the opponents just enough for its partner to finish them off and Helping Hand can also go for going straight to supporting it's teammate.

"Rampaging On!"
Donphan @ Leftovers/Expert Belt
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot
- Protect

The most basic question this guy answers is "Well how are you gonna face Rock Type Pokemon?" However this Donphan can handle much more than that, its Ice Shard keeps Dragons wary, its Earthquake makes for a strong presense. Donphan's job is quite simple, and is simply Heatran's other half in offensive presence. Basically Donphan gives the right kind of support at the right time and is surprisingly effective at just the right times.

"The Oven"
Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Heat Wave

The Oven? YES THE OVEN! This Heatran is the Sun's best friend, and all it takes for this guy is to lay on some heat, and all his opponents go frying away. Heat Wave is the true essential in this moveset, giving all the Sunny Days a threat it truly deserves. Flash Cannon and Earth Power make for some good coverage against a variety of 'Mons, however with how invested this guy is in his SpA, its nothing to ignore. And when it comes to damaging the opponent down, this one surely knows how to do it right.

Could improvements be made? More than likely. Although as is, this team makes to be quite the threat! :D

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm a little bit confused. This team is tagged as a VGC team, although it uses Pokemon only legal in Smogon Doubles, so I'm going to assume it is a team for the latter. First off, your team has 4 Fire-types. Not only does this stack unnecessary weaknesses, it also gives you very narrow type coverage on the offensive front. There are a lot of changes I would make to your team, including switching out nearly every 'mon because some are quite outclassed like Arcanine, Donphan (outclassed by Mamoswine), and Jumpluff (somewhat outclassed by Venusaur), but I don't want to really change your entire team. I'll refer you to this thread, which has a "framework" for building successful sun teams. Good luck with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)