Mega-Salamence: considering a quick ban (Don't ask for the thread to be closed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I'll do my best to reorganize my thoughts and come up with a more outlined argument. I don't appreciate being called retarded or trolling, when almost everything I say gets chopped up into pieces out of context. Or even better it just comes down to a subjective disagreement "it's overpowered" "no it's not" and immediately get insulted. Come on people

1. Is it overcentralizing?
At the moment it is probably the best offensive megamon to use. But why is it the best? Straightforwardly, because there are no alternatives for offensive teams to use. Therefore most people are running it and everyone needs a counter or multiple checks.

2. Everything at Salamence's level is already in ubers
Kangaskhan's ability adds roughly the same amount of damage to its attacks that Salamences aerialate does. Lucario's adaptability does much the same. And mawile hits even harder. All 4 of those pokemon hit awfully hard even unboosted. Close, but not at the same level, are gallade heracross and pinsir which are the next best things for offense to use (and are actually better in a handful of situations, certainly viable choices) but aren't as immediately threatening as the above four. Blaziken is a bit of a different beast and doesn't hit as hard (immediately) but typically boosts easily and is by no means weak unboosted. Other things like skymin or aegislash have their own reasons to being voted uber before.

3. Therefore Salamence belongs in ubers like the above pokemon
This is where I just completely and fundamentally disagree. I've gotten insulted for saying this but I very strongly believe that all the of the ubers (except cover legends) actually interact with eachother very well and keep eachother at bay. A completely reopened (or almost completely) OU tier would be a complete mixed bag and Salamence would no longer be a centralizing threat

It is completely impossible to foresee the interplay that all the so called "broken" things would have between each other.

Unleashing them would "solve the overcentralized Salamence" problem which is at least one point that I have that can't really be denied. Showdown has never seen what an unlocked ORAS tier would look like. All we have is Salamence alone being the dominant offensive threat. Everything would be completely scrambled around and I can completely guarantee that there would be no single centralizing force.

"We don't drop things from ubers just to balance out one overpowered threat"
This misinterpretation gets posted over and over. The fact that Salamence would get a couple new checks is just completely a side effect of the main point I'm trying to make. I'M NOT ADVOCATING THAT WE NEED OLD UBERS TO HELP FIGHT SALAMENCE.

What I am saying is that we should drop just about everything back into OU to examine it, experience it, and try to redefine our feelings on what "broken" even means anymore. Terms like "overpowered" and "skill-less" get thrown around far too loosely and it's because the prevailing mindset around here is that we need to preserve some sort of defensive balance and recreate a gen3/4/5 meta of easy switch ins and effortless pivoting.

Instead I think the modern pokemon game is supposed to suppress and punish any idea that you can get a rotom/alomola/landorus in for free every time and pivot out for free momentum. Wallbreakers like deoxys and lucario around every corner would kill off that sort of thing. I think that if you actually want a pivot or counter for something in OU then you actually have to dedicate a teamslot to it and have something that is legitimately bulky like slowbro or megascizor.

The fact that Rotom-W can't always break Salamence's subs is a ridiculous complaint. Maybe you should be punished for it? Maybe you're just not supposed to be able to run full HP and defense investment and switch around for free? You have to make a choice now; can break subs but is not bulky, or bulky switches in a lot but can't break subs.

That is just one example of trying to play the old game, but it also applies to things like "I should be able to use specs keldeo" and "I should be able to use landorus and not get set up on" and "I should be able defensively handle Salamence without actually running bulky things on my team"

Why should you be able to do any of those things? Because it worked after everything stronger than Pinsir was banned? Because you want to have a "defensive core" without actually making any sacrifice at all on your offensive capabilities? Now you get punished for running "bulky" crap like Lati@s, Rotom, Mew.

Hilariously, with mence around, stall is actually being well rewarded for making the sacrifice on offense and going safe with skarmories, heatrans, porgyon, slowbro, whatever.

"We could never be covered for everything if ubers was reopened! Stall would die and everything would be 50/50s"
This is just not true at all. Just because a horde of previously uber megas would be running around doesn't mean various defensive staples like heatran, slowbro, chansey, sableye, and ferrothorn would not be doing their jobs. And just because there would be more threats to worry about DOES NOT MEAN you would suddenly have no salamence checks on your team. For example in a completely reoppened tier you might have greninja, scarf genesect, and thundurus all working together to deal with various threats. Those 3 alone have all kinds of CHECK answers to mence, mawile, lucario, and so on. Scarf ninja could even deal with boosted blaziken and mence both too.

Did you notice that mamoswine not only helps against mence but seriously hurts mawile and aegislash both? Did you notice that genesect will always get the sp.atk boost against salamence and it also resists both of mawiles STABs? How about the new sabeleye fucking with some lucario and salamence sets both? Mega slowbro with ice beam/fireblast/scald both does very well against mence and mawile and blaziken. Not to mention all the prankster users that are helpful against everything.

Did you notice that not only has the offensive power level increased but defensive mons have gotten better as well?

Slowbro gets all of calm mind, iron defense, amnesia, and has various EV options. Ghosts like sabeleye and aegislash are fucking great. Charizard-X is amazing at what he does. Altaria is a completey underrated defensive beast. Porygon2 is tracing all kinds of intimdates and proteans. Even sweepers are getting enough "bulk" to survive a hit in a pinch, like gallade and metagross.

Stall wouldn't die lol it'd evolve like it always has. Stall is by far my favorite playstyle and I would still love to see everything from mawile to salamence to genesect back in the tier.

"They were banned for a reason why bring them back? It's backward progress."
Because many of the people who voted for banning the original suspects like lucario and deoxys were doing so with a gen5 mentality still fresh in their minds. By now everyone has experienced just how offensive gen6 has become and it's been shocking, much the same as the original gen4 power up. I think everyone was trying to preserve a game where things as questionably weak as zapdos and latias should actually be able to get free switch ins. Players want to have speed AND power AND pivot ability AND enough bulk to handle the meta. Lol that's so screwy, if you want to have any defensive answers at all to the meta then you have to pay a price somewhere. You use skarm instead of landorus and you use sylveon instead of clefable and you use defensive ttar instead of terrakion.

Meanwhile, not only would defense go through its own evolutions but offense would be completely revitalized and have all kinds of toys to use instead of just 1.

This:

That is infinitely better than whatever stale OU game you're trying to preserve by banning things:

tl;dr

1. Mence is overcentralizing because there are no other good options and his teammates don't need to worry about previous ubers.
2. Switching in should be difficult to do. You shouldn't be able to run something that is barely bulky enough against the meta and is also powerful and fast.
3. Only stall teams should be capable of switching against the top threats.
4. Stall and even bulky offense would have defensive answers in a reopened OU
5. No one can say what the meta would even look like. It might surprise everyone and be better than you expect
6. "Nothing can switch into kangaskhan/deoxys/xxxxx" -- this is part of the game. Stall teams scout the moves or status and offense teams pressure it.
7. Please re-evaluate everything. It's not a waste of time if it's exciting, challenging, fun, and certainly worthwhile

If nothing will ever be retested then just ban mence because it is better than everything else by too large of a margin. But I very strongly think that completely (or almost completely) reopening ubers is a better choice.
Sorry for the short response, but your whole argument is just simply out of place. This thread is to determine if Mega Salamence should be banned in the CURRENT meta, as you said yourself he obviously should. You could bring up this argument elsewhere I suppose or just talk to the council directly, but what you are proposing isnt even being discussed, and certainly isnt the point of this thread.

I don't mean to insult you, but this makes no sense whatsoever. There is no point in moving all the Ubers to OU to make OU balanced because there is already a playable banlist-turned-tier, Ubers. If we assume arguendo that there is merit to moving borked things down to check other borked things, we end up finding ourselves in an endless cycle of moving borked Pokemon down in tiers in order to check other borked (within each respective tier) Pokemon.
Everything else that I could respond was already covered beforehand in previous posts, so I don't wish to repeat what everyone here said 300 times.
Ubers has primal groudon and rayquaza and is completely different from OU. I explicitly said that nothing is being brought down to check/counter other broken things, there is other reasons entirely

Everything else that I could respond was already covered beforehand in previous posts, so I don't wish to repeat what everyone here said 300 times.
I think no one in their right mind is going to repeat himself since the content of that whole post was already covered during 2 or 3 pages. And I don't know how is possible for someone to say that we don't need old ubers for checking/countering Mega Mence and in the next sentence say that we should drop ubers.

But hey, I think we should just drop everything and erase Ubers. That would make the OU meta more "fun, exciting & challenging" for sure!

I don't know how is possible for someone to say that we don't need old ubers for checking/countering Mega Mence and in the next sentence say that we should drop ubers.
Uban things that were previously banned, because [reasons], and them being able to check salamence has nothing to do with it. We already have counters.

Ubers has primal groudon and rayquaza and is completely different from OU. I explicitly said that nothing is being brought down to check/counter other broken things, there is other reasons entirely
Then it makes even less sense. First, you say that Mence is the best of the best in the OU atm (that is true), then that things that are banned from OU successfully keep each other at bay (that they do, true), and then say that you do not advocate bringing anything down (which completely contradicts the first two statements). Bringing everything down to check each other does make sense (albeit in a perverted sort of way), banning things up to Ubers makes sense, but not doing anything and keeping a single overpowered threat that can punish 90% of the meta for absolutely anything and the other 10% (the supposed checks) for wrongly guessing your set or losing a 50/50 between Sub and DD makes zero sense.

Addendum:

Uban things that were previously banned, because [reasons], and them being able to check salamence has nothing to do with it. We already have counters.
None of them would be an answer to MMence. Genesect dies, Kangaskhan dies, Deo-S would check it only as much as Greninja does right now, Deo-D dies, Luke dies, Aegislash and Mawile die (Fire Blast or EQ), Mega Gengar is outsped after a DD and dies without even a double down through DBond

Last edited:
There is not one single mon that can counter effectively all Mega Mence sets. Specialized mons (HP Ice Rotom-W/168 Spe Atk/Specs Rotom-W, Scarf Greninja, etc etc) are not the answer since they cannot do crap/lose bulk/lose power against other mon.

Reactions: pj
Ok, I think you need to stop. You haven't made a single good argument in this entire thread. I want to assume that you're a Salamence fanboy. There is no such thing as a true counter to Mega Mence. If somebody is saying we have to drop Ubers to even check Mega Mence, it NEEDS TO BE BANNED, and there is no more discussion about this.

Too much bulk and raw power for the OU meta. Not to mention the unpredictability. Could be the common sub+dd set, could be dd with return and EQ, could be jolly with double edge/thrash, could be a special attacking variant. All are unpredictable and all are very strong. Basically if he gets matched up against a mon without ice beam its gg. Being able to 6-0 a team because of one bad matchup for the opponent is not fair in any way.

OK, don't fall for this guy bait. Honestly his idea is terrible to the core, as stated several times by several users.

This is plain and painfully obvious bait to derail the Salamence discussion bringing up threats that don't belong at all to the OU tier and where rightfully tested and quick banned at their time.

Let's focus on the talk of megamence qualities despite the fact that we are beating the dead dog with them rather than the irrelevant mumbo jumbo about bringing down ubers to OU.

TLDR, ignore any uber qualms and wet dreams spit randomly around here and focus on what OU has.

Can the posting rights of someone be restricted on this thread be restricted d if all its arguments were nothing but a bunch of illogical fallacies that derailed this thread on repeated occasions? I'm not trying to minimod but Damm it's painful to read users with good arguments being baited by this baseless and wishful speculation.

Last edited:
We already have counters.
No. We. Don't.

There may be shaky counters to it's sets but there isn't a single reliable counter that can put on a team and call it a day and you said it yourself (highlighted it even).
Salamence belongs in ubers
Your proposal to unban all the previous banned pokemon violates what Smogon is trying to achieve with it's metagame. Instead of making 50 to 100 pokemon viable you'd make only around 20 viable on any serious teams. The power-creep is real and goes up no matter how much we try to ban the broken shit but we are aiming to make them reasonably manageable, we already have a tier for all the pokemon OU can't handle and it sounds like your ideal metagame so please just let it go and stop trying to make this ridiculous argument. You used the term stale to describe this:
I'd take on the team on the second page any day over the first one. Why? Cause everything would be ten times more stale if we had to worry about the Deoxys forms, mega kanga, luke, mence, maw, genesect and aegislash. It would be a ladder where only either stall or hyper-offense would exist and that would be a optimistic look. In fact it wouldn't matter if we'd brought majority of the ubers or even Mega Gengar cause I see no reason why we should favor your favorite playstyle when every other play-style becomes non-existent.

Last edited:
So, we should Drop Ubers, so that we can have other Pokemon that are on par with Mega Mence. . . You're saying, there are Pokemon, that were banned to ubers, that are as capable of tearing OU apart as Menace is. You've admitted to Mence being overcentralizing, you've admitted to it having insane power, up there with the Ubers that have already been booted. So, because of this, we should bring these Ubers down to "balance" what the meta is now. Instead of just moving Mence up with its broken counter parts.

How does this not sound ridiculous even to you?

My thoughts on all this: I honestly don't think MegaMence should be quick banned. While i agree it is super strong and can rip holes through teams, it does have reliable checks. Even if you have to sacrifice one of your pokes to get your check in safely, thats just a part of playing pokemon. If you don't want to deal with OP stuff then don't play pokemon! Also, most of your regular birdspam counters work here as well.

Itl probably get banned anyway tho because like 95 percent of the posts in here say quick-ban..

So, we should Drop Ubers, so that we can have other Pokemon that are on par with Mega Mence. . . You're saying, there are Pokemon, that were banned to ubers, that are as capable of tearing OU apart as Menace is. You've admitted to Mence being overcentralizing, you've admitted to it having insane power, up there with the Ubers that have already been booted. So, because of this, we should bring these Ubers down to "balance" what the meta is now. Instead of just moving Mence up with its broken counter parts?

How does this not sound ridiculous to even you?
As far as I can tell he wants a everything goes OU test ladder(Wich is called UBERS already) so he can use whatever he wants and disguise it with the excuse of us wasting time and resources on balancing that (Witch will end up going back to be OU as all of the above will be banned again) instead of using what we already worked hard to balance for a desired OU meta.

Just ignore his bait. Not even a magikarp would bite that old rod.

Last edited:
tl;dr

1. Mence is overcentralizing because there are no other good options and his teammates don't need to worry about previous ubers.
2. Switching in should be difficult to do. You shouldn't be able to run something that is barely bulky enough against the meta and is also powerful and fast.
5. No one can say what the meta would even look like. It might surprise everyone and be better than you expect
6. "Nothing can switch into kangaskhan/deoxys/xxxxx" -- this is part of the game. Stall teams scout the moves or status and offense teams pressure it.
7. Please re-evaluate everything. It's not a waste of time if it's exciting, challenging, fun, and certainly worthwhile

If nothing will ever be retested then just ban mence because it is better than everything else by too large of a margin. But I very strongly think that completely (or almost completely) reopening ubers is a better choice.
Ok, so I do get your point, (although I disagree with it), but it is completely irrelevant. This is not a discussion about whether there are mons in Ubers that need to be retested in OU. Perhaps there are, I don't know. Nonetheless, "reopening OU"(/Ubers, as you've referred to it elsewhere, idk) is not on the table here. Stop arguing for it, it's off topic. It's a discussion for a different day and different thread.

So nothing is getting brought down from Ubers to 'balance' OU, and in which case you're agreeing with us that Mence should be banned in the current OU meta (you bolded that sentence, not me). End of discussion.

EDIT: Edited to reflect Haunter's post below! :)

Last edited:

haunter

Banned deucer.
So nothing is getting retested, and in which case you're agreeing with us that Mence should be banned in the current OU meta (you bolded that sentence, not me). End of discussion.
This is not necessarily true. We might retest a few things once the metagame stabilizes, however, we're not going to drop any Uber just in the hope it balances out Mega Salamence.

Bottom line is: unbanning broken things to check other broken things has never been our policy and will never be.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
My thoughts on all this: I honestly don't think MegaMence should be quick banned. While i agree it is super strong and can rip holes through teams, it does have reliable checks. Even if you have to sacrifice one of your pokes to get your check in safely, thats just a part of playing pokemon. If you don't want to deal with OP stuff then don't play pokemon! Also, most of your regular birdspam counters work here as well.

Itl probably get banned anyway tho because like 95 percent of the posts in here say quick-ban..
These checks are far from reliable as most are either OHKO'd or 2HKO'd easily with little to no effort. Sacrificing pokemon to get a check in safely is not part of the game. That isn't a standard and shouldn't be a standard on any archetype played on any given day. So the logic you're describing is that the game should revolve around one extremely strong powerful central figure and nothing else and if we don't agree with this we should stop playing? That's just shunning a community that wants to play this game without the burden of dealing with something that is obviously unhealthy and way too strong in the tier in a metagame that isn't Ubers. There's strong stuff in OU but a majority of them have enough flaws present for many to consider that it won't be a huge constraint on teambuilding. Most of your regular birdspam counters don't work here as well. As mentioned they are either OHKO'd or 2HKO'd on various sets. Too many sets to account for, too many variations within those sets on top of the bulk and power M-Mence provides.

More like 99%. If you're going to suggest keeping it in OU at least give a decent argument as to why instead of saying you just have to sack something or that if you don't want to deal with broken mence then don't play pokemon.

Also, yesterday when you were liking all of the posts about keeping mega salamence your profile picture was a shiny mega salamence. I noticed you changed it before posting that. Totally not biased at all. lol.

I think the way XY handled bans last year shows an indication to how it will be handled again in ORAS:

Quickban: M-Gengar, M-Kangaskan
These Pokemon were just ridiculous, had very few flaws and led to crazy over-centralisation.

Suspect test with overwhelming majority: M-Lucario (99% ban lol), (Genesect)
After the 'obviously broken' Pokemon were banned, these ran rampant. They had flaws, but were overshadowed by it's ability to wreck things too easily.

Somewhat 'controversial' bans: Aegislash, M-Mawille
These bans were handled more carefully (a 'no Aegislash' ladder) and were more controversial since they were 'more overpowered' in the upper ladder leading to other players questioning the ban.

I believe that the existence of scarf Greninja and that every Ferrothorn and Skarmory is running shed shell (to escape from the M-Salamence + Magnezone core) is an indication of the 'crazy over-centralisation' that the 'Quickban' Pokemon showed. Unlike XY, we have had more than enough time to experience M-Salamence's demolition and I think many people can agree that the metagame is very unhealthy right now due to its presence.

TL;DR: Quickban M-Salamence

More like 99%. If you're going to suggest keeping it in OU at least give a decent argument as to why instead of saying you just have to sack something or that if you don't want to deal with broken mence then don't play pokemon.

Also, yesterday when you were liking all of the posts about keeping mega salamence your profile picture was a shiny mega salamence. I noticed you changed it before posting that. Totally not biased at all. lol.
This hydreigon moves. So its more awesome. Anyway, I wouldn't mind it getting banned (i play battle spot more anyway), but that i would be happy to have it stay in OU and that it is actually a game thing to have to sacrifice a poke to get i safely. You have to make risks to play pokemon, and thats just part of it.(EDIT: Apparently CB Adamant Mamo can OHKO Non-bulky variants with Ice Shard)

Last edited:
Alright I'll do my best to reorganize my thoughts and come up with a more outlined argument. I don't appreciate being called retarded or trolling, when almost everything I say gets chopped up into pieces out of context. Or even better it just comes down to a subjective disagreement "it's overpowered" "no it's not" and immediately get insulted. Come on people
Unless I was mistaken, what was causing people to give you grief was your general denial of objective proof. Also, I guarantee that if you try and make yourself out to be a victim your point will never get across.

1. Is it overcentralizing?
At the moment it is probably the best offensive megamon to use. But why is it the best? Straightforwardly, because there are no alternatives for offensive teams to use. Therefore most people are running it and everyone needs a counter or multiple checks.
What? there are COUNTLESS alternatives. Mega Zard X, Mega Lopunny, Mega Sceptile are just the first 3 to come to mind. Throw in wallbreakers and the list gets longer. Why aren't they used? Because the opportunity cost is NOT being able to use Mega Salamence. That's usually a huge sign of overcentralization.

2. Everything at Salamence's level is already in ubers
Kangaskhan's ability adds roughly the same amount of damage to its attacks that Salamences aerialate does. Lucario's adaptability does much the same. And mawile hits even harder. All 4 of those pokemon hit awfully hard even unboosted. Close, but not at the same level, are gallade heracross and pinsir which are the next best things for offense to use (and are actually better in a handful of situations, certainly viable choices) but aren't as immediately threatening as the above four. Blaziken is a bit of a different beast and doesn't hit as hard (immediately) but typically boosts easily and is by no means weak unboosted. Other things like skymin or aegislash have their own reasons to being voted uber before.
Raw power and speed aren't the only thing that determine whether or not something is broken and ban-worthy. Heck if Mega Salamence's only viable set was Return / Earthquake / Substitute / Dragon Dance, we might honestly not have a problem. However, like Mega Lucario, it's the fact that it has multiple, viable sets with very few good overlapping checks causing problems for anyone trying to deal with MegaMence.

3. Therefore Salamence belongs in ubers like the above pokemon
This is where I just completely and fundamentally disagree. I've gotten insulted for saying this but I very strongly believe that all the of the ubers (except cover legends) actually interact with eachother very well and keep eachother at bay. A completely reopened (or almost completely) OU tier would be a complete mixed bag and Salamence would no longer be a centralizing threat

It is completely impossible to foresee the interplay that all the so called "broken" things would have between each other.

Unleashing them would "solve the overcentralized Salamence" problem which is at least one point that I have that can't really be denied. Showdown has never seen what an unlocked ORAS tier would look like. All we have is Salamence alone being the dominant offensive threat. Everything would be completely scrambled around and I can completely guarantee that there would be no single centralizing force.
The reason why people give you grief for this is because Smogon has historically had something exactly like you proposed. When the XY ladder first came out, you could use Mega Khan, Mega Luke, Mega Gengar, heck I think even Mega Blaze was allowed (it was a little before my time so I may be wrong about Mega Chicken). Sound familiar? It's pretty much what you've been constantly proposing. So, what happened? They did not interact the way you think they would, and we ended up in a stale tier where an incredibly small number of threats ruled the tier. Adding that list to ORAS would be almost identical because ORAS isn't enough of a shift. All we really got are some new megas, Megas that, with the exception of 2 Stall megas, are pretty much always inferior choices to the ones we've already banned, so they'd be swapped out for the previously banned Megas, and BOOM: we revert back to an almost exact replica of the original XY tier with the addition of 1 more offensive Mega. You say that you can't be denied this, but if anything this is the one point you've made where we have historical evidence can be used to show what your proposal would cause. What I'm stating isn't an just an opinion. It's a conclusion based on historical evidence, something strong enough where if you can't back up your counterargument with historical evidence of your own, you will look like a fool. I say this for your own sake: unless you can back up this claim with real evidence, stop saying that an "unlocked ORAS" would fix the overcentralization problem. Also remember that you can have an overcentralized tier consisting of MULTIPLE overcentralizing threats. Ubers is an example of this.

"We don't drop things from ubers just to balance out one overpowered threat"
This misinterpretation gets posted over and over. The fact that Salamence would get a couple new checks is just completely a side effect of the main point I'm trying to make. I'M NOT ADVOCATING THAT WE NEED OLD UBERS TO HELP FIGHT SALAMENCE.

What I am saying is that we should drop just about everything back into OU to examine it, experience it, and try to redefine our feelings on what "broken" even means anymore. Terms like "overpowered" and "skill-less" get thrown around far too loosely and it's because the prevailing mindset around here is that we need to preserve some sort of defensive balance and recreate a gen3/4/5 meta of easy switch ins and effortless pivoting.

Instead I think the modern pokemon game is supposed to suppress and punish any idea that you can get a rotom/alomola/landorus in for free every time and pivot out for free momentum. Wallbreakers like deoxys and lucario around every corner would kill off that sort of thing. I think that if you actually want a pivot or counter for something in OU then you actually have to dedicate a teamslot to it and have something that is legitimately bulky like slowbro or megascizor.

The fact that Rotom-W can't always break Salamence's subs is a ridiculous complaint. Maybe you should be punished for it? Maybe you're just not supposed to be able to run full HP and defense investment and switch around for free? You have to make a choice now; can break subs but is not bulky, or bulky switches in a lot but can't break subs.

That is just one example of trying to play the old game, but it also applies to things like "I should be able to use specs keldeo" and "I should be able to use landorus and not get set up on" and "I should be able defensively handle Salamence without actually running bulky things on my team"

Why should you be able to do any of those things? Because it worked after everything stronger than Pinsir was banned? Because you want to have a "defensive core" without actually making any sacrifice at all on your offensive capabilities? Now you get punished for running "bulky" crap like Lati@s, Rotom, Mew.

Hilariously, with mence around, stall is actually being well rewarded for making the sacrifice on offense and going safe with skarmories, heatrans, porgyon, slowbro, whatever.
I've already said what needs to be said about dropping old threats back into OU. As for the rest of your argument, I honestly have no idea what you're complaining about. The game has always been about trying to produce free turns for yourself in order to gain momentum. Even Stall does this by forcing switches and deterring attacks. Our issue with Mega Salamence, and many other threats that were banned, is that the user only needs 1 free turn to lay waste to a team. No one should be able to have that much of an advantage for one free turn. Not only that, Salamence can break most of his checks, which is what causes so many issues in teambuilding. Now, is Mega Salamence unbeatable? No, nothing is. GeoXern could be handled with a Scizor / Klefki core. That's not the point. The point is that Mega Sal forces us to either run the same few mons or mons that are considered gimmicks so that we might have a chance of recovering if we lose 1 free turn. In any tier not named Ubers, this is exactly what we are trying to avoid. Also, you think that Lando-T, a bulky mon used in UBERS, isn't bulky? We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

"We could never be covered for everything if ubers was reopened! Stall would die and everything would be 50/50s"
This is just not true at all. Just because a horde of previously uber megas would be running around doesn't mean various defensive staples like heatran, slowbro, chansey, sableye, and ferrothorn would not be doing their jobs. And just because there would be more threats to worry about DOES NOT MEAN you would suddenly have no salamence checks on your team. For example in a completely reoppened tier you might have greninja, scarf genesect, and thundurus all working together to deal with various threats. Those 3 alone have all kinds of CHECK answers to mence, mawile, lucario, and so on. Scarf ninja could even deal with boosted blaziken and mence both too.

Did you notice that mamoswine not only helps against mence but seriously hurts mawile and aegislash both? Did you notice that genesect will always get the sp.atk boost against salamence and it also resists both of mawiles STABs? How about the new sabeleye fucking with some lucario and salamence sets both? Mega slowbro with ice beam/fireblast/scald both does very well against mence and mawile and blaziken. Not to mention all the prankster users that are helpful against everything.

Did you notice that not only has the offensive power level increased but defensive mons have gotten better as well?

Slowbro gets all of calm mind, iron defense, amnesia, and has various EV options. Ghosts like sabeleye and aegislash are fucking great. Charizard-X is amazing at what he does. Altaria is a completey underrated defensive beast. Porygon2 is tracing all kinds of intimdates and proteans. Even sweepers are getting enough "bulk" to survive a hit in a pinch, like gallade and metagross.

Stall wouldn't die lol it'd evolve like it always has. Stall is by far my favorite playstyle and I would still love to see everything from mawile to salamence to genesect back in the tier.
The meta may adapt, but it would still be heavily centralized, and anyone not running stall who lets Mega Lucario get off 1 buff move would still be heavily punished for giving up just 1 free turn. Just because your pet style may thrive doesn't mean the rest of us who use balance or offense should have to suffer. Also, the issue isn't developing decent cores to deal with 3 individual threats that can't show up in 1 team, it's coming up with good cores that can deal with those threats and their other 5 team members that would strain teambuilding.

"They were banned for a reason why bring them back? It's backward progress."
Because many of the people who voted for banning the original suspects like lucario and deoxys were doing so with a gen5 mentality still fresh in their minds. By now everyone has experienced just how offensive gen6 has become and it's been shocking, much the same as the original gen4 power up. I think everyone was trying to preserve a game where things as questionably weak as zapdos and latias should actually be able to get free switch ins. Players want to have speed AND power AND pivot ability AND enough bulk to handle the meta. Lol that's so screwy, if you want to have any defensive answers at all to the meta then you have to pay a price somewhere. You use skarm instead of landorus and you use sylveon instead of clefable and you use defensive ttar instead of terrakion.

Meanwhile, not only would defense go through its own evolutions but offense would be completely revitalized and have all kinds of toys to use instead of just 1.

This:

That is infinitely better than whatever stale OU game you're trying to preserve by banning things:
How can you claim there was Gen 5 bias? I read the Mega Luke and Genesect thread and I didn't see any of this so-called bias. I know no one who wants them back in the tier more than half a year after they were banned, so you can't say there's somehow some magic bias that keeps them banned. I honestly think you need to play more offense because you seem to be incredibly subjective. Latias and Zapdos aren't bulky? LATIAS is not bulky? You're proposing that we need to use only pure offense or pure defense mons? This is something deep-rooted that I know I can't convince you of otherwise. Also, offense has like 10 new toys already. The issue is that 1 is a PS4, and the other 10 are Atari 2600 units in comparison. As for the pics, congrats you found a pic with two teams with 3 matching mons. This shows absolutely nothing.
tl;dr

I think I've said enough addressing your points. I've only kept this up because I don't think you're trolling which others might be convinced of other wise.
Given that Haunter has just stated the Council's opinion on retesting at this point, I think we can close this argument. As for reopening ubers, drop the subject. This isn't the place and your only arguments are weak hypothetical arguments that don't address real historical evidence. Any hate you've received has been based on this subject, so for your own sake, don't bring it up.

Yes fuckin please! Mega Mence is easily one of the most broken mons to have ever been in OU throughout the generations. You have an offensive pokemon that can forego investing in its offenses for added bulk to set up right into oblivion on pokemon it has no business setting up on and rek your entire team. I would go into more detail but everything has already been touched on.

Quickban this mofo

I'm likely going to repeat what has been said here, but I'm gonna go for it anyway.

Mega Salamence is a horribly detrimental force to ORAS OU. Due to its combination of insane power, brutal physical bulk on turn 1 and great Speed even when unboosted, as well as possessing the stats to take on a huge variety of offensive roles that royally fuck up counters to one set and access to both HP- and status recovery, this dragon literally is the metagame right now. Its mere presence renders a whole slew of Pokémon less or simply unviable and that makes the metagame stale, boring and sometimes devoid of clever strategy. When you have to run extremely obscure and/or specific builds that teammates can take care of with the greatest ease to take Mega Salamence down, you KNOW this reptile should just get the boot as quickly as possible. Nothing can deal it with reliably and there's so much stuff it partners with that can handle its checks; it's simply uncounterable.

Quickban Mega Salamence, for the love of all that is good.

This hydreigon moves. So its more awesome. Anyway, I wouldn't mind it getting banned (i play battle spot more anyway), but that i would be happy to have it stay in OU and that it is actually a game thing to have to sacrifice a poke to get i safely. You have to make risks to play pokemon, and thats just part of it.(EDIT: Apparently CB Adamant Mamo can OHKO Non-bulky variants with Ice Shard)
Did I just do a timewarp backward into the Mega Khan thread or am I still in the Mega Mence one?

Doesn't matter either way. When thats your only reliable option there is something wrong.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. We aren't banning Rayquaza (or anything) from ubers.
2. We aren't bringing down Aegislash (or anything) from ubers. More broken Pokemon means a more unbalanced metagame. I don't see why you idiots can't fathom this.
They indeed have functioning brains, but I don't know what went through their heads to even consider to suspect test and open a thread (did someone even asked about this?) about something that was deemed broken from the start. And it's not like we need anymore days to test this blitzkrieg...
3. Mind your tone? Or we'll just end the discussion and pin the Facebook backlash on you. You're not helping end the circle jerk with this post, only furthering it.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
People keep bringing up how you shouldn't have to sack things to deal with Mega Mence, but I'd like to point out that this is occasionally the only option heavily offensive playstyles have when it comes to checking things in general.

Still think it's a broken piece of shit, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)