Haxmons (Playable on Aqua)

Natural Cure AV Blissey?
252 SpA Blissey Thunderbolt vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon on a critical hit: 214-254 (47.6 - 56.5%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
respectable
252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Blissey on a critical hit: 372-438 (52.1 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dayum. that is all
252+ SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Blissey on a critical hit: 302-356 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
even better.
-yes, I know Psystrike will demolish Blissey, but what do you expect?

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Uhm, why would you? Blissey is way too slow to do anything in Haxmons. It's just death fodder. Those calcs are meaningless because Vaporeon is not relevant, and ubers are banned. Natural Cure is nice, but Blissey is really shitty.

Meloetta can abuse Ice Punch + Thunderbolt + Relic Song for the ultimate immobilizing strategy. Fourth moveslot is up to you.

Meloetta can abuse Ice Punch + Thunderbolt + Relic Song for the ultimate immobilizing strategy. Fourth moveslot is up to you.
Yeah, but you have to scarf her since she's got no priority. A Meloetta locked into Thunderbolt, Ice Punch - or anything really - does not sound like a great idea.

Edit: My bad, she does actually get Quick Attack. As a sole priority move, that's a bit underwhelming though.

Yeah, but you have to scarf her since she's got no priority. A Meloetta locked into Thunderbolt, Ice Punch - or anything really - does not sound like a great idea.

Edit: My bad, she does actually get Quick Attack. As a sole priority move, that's a bit underwhelming though.
Relic Song does let her change into Pirouette form though, making her one of the fastest Pokemon with 128 base speed and gives it a stronger Quick Attack. Considering she basically gets a free turn with Relic Song on a slower Pokemon, that's pretty good.

Relic Song does let her change into Pirouette form though, making her one of the fastest Pokemon with 128 base speed and gives it a stronger Quick Attack. Considering she basically gets a free turn with Relic Song on a slower Pokemon, that's pretty good.
Yeah, she might not be totally unviable. I think there are a lot of better Pokemon out there though, she's seems a bit predictable. A switch into an appropiate Lum Berry poke and she's rendered useless. But who knows.

I think my Magnitude idea should be implemented.
It means that all users get a ground move stronger than precipice blades.

By the way, does anyone think KyuB is viable here? Ice immunity, alternate mold-breaker, and pretty decently powerful special moves. (It's special attack is nice even in stat switch, the meta overfilled with tanks)

I think my Magnitude idea should be implemented.
It means that all users get a ground move stronger than precipice blades.

By the way, does anyone think KyuB is viable here? Ice immunity, alternate mold-breaker, and pretty decently powerful special moves. (It's special attack is nice even in stat switch, the meta overfilled with tanks)
Yeah, KyuB seems viable. Scarf sets look like the best way to go, though Ancient Power boosting sets might work as well. Avoiding Shell Armor/Battle Armor is really nice.
Kyurem-B @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid/Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Fusion Bolt
- Ancient Power / Iron Head
- Dragon Breath / Iron Head / Dragon Claw

Kyurem-B @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Ancient Power
- Iron Head
- Dragon Claw / Fusion Bolt

This meta needs a revival. It deserves a revival. Since it was OMotM I've had like four battles. That's not good enough.

I don't know how to do this but maybe if I post a couple of sets you people will get the motivation back. Gotta try something. They're obviously not perfect so try to beat them with better ones, harass them, discuss them - just show signs of LIFE!

Alright, this team helped me to end up at #1 when Haxmons was OMotM. Towards the end I felt quite unbeatable, in the last 30 battles or so I lost once or twice. Never posted sets before so please excuse me if I'm doing something wrong. But here we go:

Kabutops @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Naive Nature
- Ancient Power
- Aqua Jet
- Scald
- Waterfall

Straightforward shit. Everybody who has played haxmons ought to know about this guy. Wait for the oppurtunity to boost (which is easy due to Battle Armor and the constant sacrificing of team mates, everything hits superhard you know, why switch out) and just wreck. Usually one boost is enough to outpace, two always is. Waterfall is the main attack as it's mega ultra terra strong and provides flinches. Scald thaws and burns and STABS but is really only used against when you get frozen. Aqua Jet is mandatory to avoid fast flinchers and because priority is amazing.

I prefer this spread as speed and bulk feels superior to power as it increases switch in oppurtunities and Waterfall flinches anyway. But the EVs are not written in stone. Also Ice Beam could replace Scald, but I like to be able to thaw myself more than to freeze others (There are more obvious freezers and Lum Berries can screw you over). A Lum Berry instead of the leftovers is also a possiblity. But the Leftovers bulk is really nice in boost wars against other Kabutops and Lapras. Lapras btw, is a potential replacement for Kabutops as they do essentially the same thing (or you could run both), but personally I prefer Kabutops. Idk now why really, BECAUSE I HAVEN'T REALLY BATTLED IN A WHILE, Lapras is good too.

Kyurem-B @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 176 HP / 72 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt

The before mentioned Kyurem-B is the obvious answer to the top tier threats Kabutops and Lapras. It always outspeeds them after a boost and it doesn't really mind the SE Ancient Powers as they don't even 2HKO without boosts. And if they try to stay in and KO - ZAP - dead from Teravolt Fusion Bolt. The other moves are just there really, it's job is to eliminate the Battle/Shell Armor pests. BUT - Ice Beam is nice for freezing switch ins, Iron Head makes it a possible late game sweeper and Dragon Claw hits hard early game. Outrage is an interesting alternative here, man it hits hard. I run it on my team now but haven't gotten the chance to try it out. It should make him a bit more versatile. The EV spread is designed to get as much bulk as possible without standing the chance to miss out on the OHKO from Fusion Bolt, but it's quite arbitrary tbh.

Lucario @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Extremespeed
- Ice Punch
- Vacuum Wave

I don't really have anything to say about how Lucario works in the meta. The last dozen of battles I've had I've tried out a couple of other team setups which Lucario hasn't been a part of. All I know is that it's really good, but not a game changer as the two mentioned above. It mostly revenges with it's priorities (Bullet Punch = STAB, Extremespeed > +1 priority users it faces, Vacuum Wave = x4 effective on stuff) and freezes with Ice Punch. Lum Berry is the perfect item as it makes it an easy in-switcher with the Inner Focus combo. Come to think of it I guess that's Lucarios main selling point. It's a good poke to switch in as it's never a winning condition and has good moves to use when in battle. I ran SpA and Dark Pulse to flinch earlier, but this set was better in every way. For some reason.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

My love. A good lead as the fast U-turn lets it switch out if the opposing poke seems scary. Otherwise it just revenges. Brave Bird hits really hard. Period. Flare Blitz can come in handy when priority isn't needed as it burns and hits steels. Tailwind is mostly filler but if you're gonna die anyways and Brave Bird doesn't KO - why not? Being able to outpace random scarfers is always nice as they can really mess you up. The Item is up to personal preference. I kinda recently fought a Scarfed Talon (Snaquazas I think?). That was unexpected and quite good, especially against my own Talonflame.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Punch
- Ominous Wind
- Sucker Punch

Gengars main selling point is it's typing. Ghost type makes it an amazing answer to Dragonite. How sweet it is to be able to able to switch in on Extremespeed. But it has more than that. Omnious Wind makes it lightning fast and let's it flinch with Dark Pulse. I ran a special set before, with Dazzling Gleam to actually also kill Dragonite. It was ok. But physical with Ice Punch is way better. As priority is power Sucker Punch is the forth move of choice. You don't want to boost and then just be prioritied dead. The Focus Sash tells the same tale. Anywho - with Gengar in the line up Dragonite is seldom a problem at all.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Naive Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Silver Wind

Scizor is great. It's main job is to provide Defog for Talon if that's needed, but a +1 Bullet Punch hits hard. Really fkin hard. It's quite fast (like 377 Speed or something) after a Silver Wind too, so it performs the classical Haxmons flinching role with Iron Head really well too. The Silver Wind is usually not that hard to get up during the game either, due to Scizors great typing and threatening Bullet Punch.

All in all a pretty standard team, the overrated Dragonite and Lapras aside. I ran a scarfed Ecxadrill until the very end though, if that gets me any novelty points. It had Iron Head, EQ, Rapid Spin (that's the main reason I used it, mah Talon don't like rocks) and Stealth Rock (for other Talon). The obvious difficulty with running scarf, which it needs, and Rapid Spin/SR, which I needed, was the reason I dropped it for Scizor. But it worked well, I liked the set. It had utility and sometimes swept surprised foes.

Phew alright. That was exhausting. As the sets are old news I'll post a couple of fresher ideas later, just gotta rest a bit.

So. Signs of Life. Plz.

Last edited:
This meta needs a revival. It deserves a revival. Since it was OMotM I've had like four battles. That's not good enough.

I don't know how to do this but maybe if I post a couple of sets you people will get the motivation back. Gotta try something. They're obviously not perfect so try to beat them with better ones, harass them, discuss them - just show signs of LIFE!

So. Signs of Life. Plz.
Signs of life I shall show you.

So, with the ORAS tutors and new megas, there are a bunch of new potential threats.

also LOOK WHO HAS A USEFUL ABILITY. IT'S ALMOST LIKE IT WAS MADE FOR THIS META.
jokes aside, look who's useful now:

gallade@ galladite
252 Atk/ 252Spd/ 4 def
jolly nature
Swords Dance/taunt/headbutt
shadow Sneak/Coverage
close combat/drain punch
fire punch/ice punch/thunder punch/knock off

Has priority of its own that can potentially hit hard after the crit, a strong STAB option, status options,knock off, a flinch option, and is a potential Kabutops/Lapras check. What more could you ask for?

Metagross@ Metagrossite
252 Atk/252Spd/4SpDef
jolly nature
Iron Head
Bullet punch
Thunder punch/ice punch
earthquake/rock polish/pursuit

Metagross remains very similar to how it performs in OU, it just has no psychic STAB anymore. It does however have reasonably solid typing and a flinch move.

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Knock Off
Fire Punch/ice punch/ thunder punch
U-turn/quick attack
Return/earthquake

Thanks to new tutor moves, and the ability to outspeed most things with a scarf, diggersby has some real potential.

That's all I have for now, but I will try to think of some more stuff.

There we go! Now if we could just transfer this flash flood of Haxmons hysteria to Aqua and actually do some battles we'll be alright after all!

Gallade and MegaGross are interesting! Gallade suffers from lack of great priority but Inner Focus sure is nice. MegaGross should hit pretty damn hard, and its bulk is handy. I think its niche would primarily be as a Stealth Rocker though. There aren't too many good setters in Haxmons.

As I promised more sets I'll post my Dragonite (DAMN, that's an interesting pokemon - does it fare well in Haxmons. Do people use it!!?!?). I can give you the Mega-Pinsir I used when I started playing Haxmons too, but sadly it's better in theory than in practice.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Jolly Nature
- Extremespeed
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Ok. So when I started playing the meta I thought that I didn't want to use the obvious ones so Dragonite was left aside. After OMotM I thought "hey, let's try it out" and I came up with this. The thing that makes this post worthy is Multiscale + Lum Berry. EVERYBODY expects Inner Focus so they won't try to flinch you anyways. Instead they will hit you hard/status you. The surprise factor when it survives an Ice Punch and retaliates with the Elemental Punch of choice or Extremespeed is really fun to abuse. And that's about it. Of course it's not better than standard Inner Focus sets in the long run but it's fun and anti meta in a nice way.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker/Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Feint
- Stealth Rock/Substitute/Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Quick Attack

This is an invention that's completely my own. My thought was that Mega Pinsir would be good. Quick attack hits hard. Feint hits kinda hard and beats all other priority. A Stealth Rock setter is great to have to mess with common pokes like Talonflame, Dragonite, Lapras and so on. AND - most importantly - it kills Kabutops/Lapras with Mold Breaker Superpower pre-mega. How versatile is that!? The answer is very versatile. But in practice it's a bit too unreliable (sometimes it worked fantastic, but not always). It's often crippled or KOed when leading and setting rocks, it can't switch in on Kabutops/Lapras at all and the priority attacks aren't amazingly strong. But it's still underrated. I think I've faced it one measly time.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam

This is a little Slowbro set I thought of. When the ability got revealed people were screaming it'd be amazing in Haxmons. Well it isn't that good but can counter a few Pokemon which is always great in Haxmons! Switch in on something that can't hurt you with their lower than OU attack usually (esp as everything runs speed) and set up a Substitute. Scald and Ice Beam are used to for the effects while still being powerful moves. Protect allows you to PP stall flinchers, so that you win against them or at least waste all of their PP. Max Defense as physical offense is way more common, though you can put the EV's in certain ways to survive stuff. It's ability is great as Shell Armor protects against crits. This causes it to be weak to freezing and flinching though, as well as other common effects due to its extremely low speed stat. Luckily Scald thaws if you get frozen. If you use it right, it can be great though. You can run Slack Off in any slot but Substitute (is needed for switches in my opinion), but recovery is not that useful in this metagame.

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 102-120 (25.8 - 30.4%) -- 1.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 40-48 (10.1 - 12.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 58-70 (14.7 - 17.7%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see, it forces a few big threats out, can set up a sub, and put a lot of pressure on the opponent. Requires pretty good use as if used incorrectly it can easily be dead weight due to its low speed and special defense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)