The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Looked like he flung Carr down by his arm, even though the flag was on Carr for DPI.

High quality but definitely not the best catch I've ever seen though.

some guy on twitter was calling beckham's catch "identical" to the interception by brent grimes against the lions. no matter what i did to explain to him that ODB's catch was one of the greatest ever.... he argued that because grimes is a cornerback, his catch was a lot more difficult and much more impressive. am i wrong to think he's a fucking idiot?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The big difference between Beckham and Grimes' catches is that Grimes was able to get his whole hand behind the ball on his, making the catch considerably easier (but still amazing). Beckham literally caught the ball with his thumb and two front fingers as it was passing through his hand. The two catches looked similar at first glance, but if you see how each catch was actually made there's a subtle but pretty important difference.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Please share the greatest catch you've ever seen :)
Well for one, it's not even the best catch by a Giants WR in recent memory: the Tyree catch.

I would have to think harder and do some Googling I'm not willing to do to consider more, since it's not like I actively keep track of "greatest football receptions of all-time I've seen" or anything.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
nfc south OP

edit: this isnt even the worst as apparently there are scenarios where a 12-4 team misses the playoffs and a 5-11 team wins the nfc south

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Holy fuck these refs are beyond atrocious....worst I've seen this season. Doing their best to keep the Saints alive

nfc south OP

edit: this isnt even the worst as apparently there are scenarios where a 12-4 team misses the playoffs and a 5-11 team wins the nfc south
Like this, as an example. GB goes 12-4 and misses the playoffs. I wish I could get a better example where teams I actually like go 12-4 and hit the playoffs, while SF or Seattle get screwed over, but whatever.

Ravens>Saints tonight

Basically:
  • Lions win out
  • 49ers win out
  • GB wins out, except wk 17 vs Lions
  • Cardinals win out, except wk 17 vs 49ers (I like the rams so I made them win out too, that's how the cards ended up 12-4, GB would still be screwed if the cards went 13-3 though)
  • Cowboys and Eagles win out, splitting their 2 games against each other
  • The entire NFC South loses if they aren't playing each other. Right now the NFC South has combined for 13.5 wins (with the panthers' tie, also goddamn that's terrible for an entire division) and have 5 games against each other, so they will combine for 18.5 wins at least, meaning at least one team will have 5 or more wins (if they each had 4 wins and a tie, that would total only 18.0 wins). Out of the NFC South teams playing each other:
    • wk 15: Bucs vs Panthers
    • wk 17: Saints vs Bucs
      • Bucs can win both because they only have 2 wins and will only get to 4 by winning out.
    • wk 14: Panthers vs Saints
    • wk 16: Falcons vs Saints
    • wk 17: Panthers vs Falcons
      • This is just a round-robin trio of games. Have each team win one of the two to minimize their records. Or just have all 3 of them tie for the lulz.
    • Seems like no matter how I do it, if I want a 5-11 team to win, it ends up being the Falcons.

Edit: You can also make an 11-5 team miss the playoffs in the AFC just by stacking up all of the wins in the AFC North, potentially all four teams in the AFC North could be 11-5 (with the Bengals 11-4-1). You can do that by having those teams win every game outside of their division, then have the Bengals and Steelers split their 2 matches weeks 14 and 17, Browns beat Ravens week 17, and Bengals beat Browns week 15. In this case, the Ravens lose the tiebreaker and are screwed. You can then have the Chiefs beat the Broncos next week, and have both teams win every remaining game not against the AFC North, making another 11-5 team get screwed (the Browns).

Last edited:
any real nfl fan should be rooting for a 5-11 NFC South winner, so the NFL will finally be forced to at least change the rule where division winners host playoff games!!!

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Beckham's catch was a lot more difficult than Tyree's. Tyree's was more memorable because of the moment, the opponent, etc.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Was it? I think Tyree's is more impressive. It's less acrobatic but he was draped by the defender, where Beckham "only" had to worry about holding onto the ball. Regardless, you don't get to tell me which one is better to me. >:o You're free to find the Beckham catch superior if you want. I just think people are living in the moment a bit too much though, like yeah okay it was an amazing catch but I think it's a bit hasty to be calling it the GOAT catch minutes after it happened.

Since the NFL decided to do some work for us, looking at the video I also think #2 is more impressive than the Beckham catch (and obviously I disagree about the Tyree placement). Randy Moss's "generic one-handed grab in stride" at #5 can get the fuck out though.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Randy Moss's "generic one-handed grab in stride" at #5 can get the fuck out though.
I agree with you here. Most one handed catches I think get overhyped simply because it's more a matter of angle and ball placement, but Beckham's I can see was a much more difficult one than most. He didn't just have to cradle or cushion it like a lot of one handers, he had to physically grab and grip it.

I think that Packers vs Vikings OT one was most ridiculous, personally. Context matters a lot in my opinion.

Also not to take anything away from Beckham but gloves these days are pretty insane too. It just makes drops even more inexcusable...

If a team is under .500, they should be forced to give up their playoff spot to a wildcard unless their record is top 6. Also home field should be done on record.
This, last thing we need is another situation like the 7-9 Seahawks winning a playoff game just because they forced the Saints to go to the most hostile stadium out there...

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Don't worry, whatever 5-11/6-10 team that wins the NFC South won't be beating the 10-6/11-5 wild card team, not this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)