XY Ubers Liepard & MMence : How to start well in ORAS Ubers (1400+)

upload_2014-11-24_3-44-47.png

Hi there! Here is my 3rd Ubers RMT! And yeah, about the whole new ORAS Ubers metagame. Like a lot of teams played at the moment, mine is an Hyper Offence team. Whole new titans such as Mega-Rayquaza, Groudon-Primal and Kyogre-Primal appear and completely transform the previous XY Ubers meta. The new meta becomes extremely aggressive.

This team has got a very good success. I reached the TOP 10 ladder in 2 evenings from nothing, and I won an Ubers tournament with it (and the only I did yet)

Teambuilding :

First, my idea is to use some classic offensive Ubers pokemon: Darkrai, Geomancy Xerneas, and SD Arceus Normal.

I opted for Groudon-Primal as a powerful offensive Stealth Rock user and a Kyogre check thanks to Desolate Land.

And of course, my last offensive mon is a very powerful new Mega, and has the Dragon and Flying type. Do you guess who is he?

NICE! You're right! Mega Salamence! :)

Alright seriously, I see a lot of people using the POWERFUL Mega-Rayquaza for good reasons, but I decided to use MegaMence instead as it is surprisely strong too, and I always wanted to use it in Ubers since I saw him kicking asses in OU. Aerilate, OP stats, and Intimidate finally make me use this great mon in my Ubers team.

OK OK, the last mon I choose is...
The weirdest poke for some players, the most annoying and hating pokemon to face in Ubers for some others...
The NU pokemon who is a Solrock's good friend...
This is a prankster pokemon, with access to Taunt, STAB Knock Off and Twave.
I'm not gonna Lie... It's a Liepard !

I guess you will say to me, why a NU pokemon in Ubers, who is also exposed to many Extremspeeds ??

The details and the presentation of my team is just below!

upload_2014-11-24_3-49-19.jpeg

Chatroll (Liepard) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

I may be the only one to use it on the ladder. But this pokemon is so good, seriously. Chatroll, the shiny Liepard, give to my offence team great utility. It's excellent against opposing HO teams.
A pokemon who can Thunder Wave threats to revenge kill them? Yes of course, but not only. Liepard is also my main response to Deoxys Leads, who can annoy my team by placing Hazards and Taunt my sweepers to prevent them using boosting moves...
Basically, Fake Out is here to break sashes. But bring me also momentum, guess possible opponent items... and sometimes dealing a bit of damage on pokemon who want to Extremspeed me.
Against opposing HO teams, all I want to do is to Taunt and paralyze threats until Liepard die, which allow me to place a sweeper who can easily setup in the replacement. But if I could, I put Groudon-Primal first and use Stealth Rocks. Groudon's work is easier when the opponent is T-waved by Liepard (ex: Yveltal, Xerneas, Defensive Arceus). He can outspeed with SR and finish the opponent off if he doesn't switch out. And Groudon doesn't have to worry about be Taunted thanks to Liepard's job.
Knock Off is Liepard's main STAB. It KOes Deoxys after Fake Out (and Taunt), removes objects, and hits with honorable power most Ubers pokemon, especially Mewtwo.
Prankster Taunt is extremely useful to prevent Deoxys setting Hazards up, and sweepers like Xerneas using their boosting moves, without fearing the OHKO thanks to the Focus Sash.
Against occasional Stall Teams, Liepard is my trump card for causing great chaos with Knock Off and Taunt.

Ground pokes seems to be annoying against Liepard, but Mega Salamence can come on them. Also, beware of Scolipede who can kill Liepard through its Focus Sash with Pin Missile.

upload_2014-11-24_3-49-43.jpeg

Morphee (Darkrai) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

My sashed special Sweeper. Thanks to Liepard's job, Darkrai can always survive one hit with its intact Focus Sash and can become a real monster once placed. Put something to sleep with Dark Void to gain a free Nasty Plot turn, then hit hard with Stab Dark Pulse. Use Sludge Bomb against main Dark resists: Fairy types. You can also use Darkrai to lead against some leads like Groudon-Primal and Mental Herb Shuckle, who seem to give trouble to Liepard.

Number 1 (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Groudon in its primal form is a really powerful pokemon, defensively and offensively. Not only by getting great boosts in Attack and Defense, but also by obtaining a new type, Fire, allowing him to hit very hard with Fire Punch, being immune to Will-O-Wisp, and resist Moonblast. To add, Desolate Land makes him a very reliable Kyogre check thanks to its water immunity. All these good points really help my team. Groudon is the chosen mon to put the very needed Stealth Rock. Earthquake and Fire Punch are his main Stabs and both deal great damage, and Dragon Claw is here to hit Mega-Rayquaza and Giratina. I opted for 100% accuracy moves because a miss can make the opponent harder to RK. A Stone Edge miss on SD LO Mega-Ray is something I don't want to see at all, seriously.

EK-47 (Arceus) @ Lum Berry Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Force
- Earthquake

Bulky Lum Berry ExtremKiller Arceus. This version of E-killer can stomach at least one powerful hit, setup very easily Swords Dance, and hit pretty hard on everything who doesn't resist Normal with +2 Priority Extrem Speed. Without considering Liepard's Fake Out, he's my only priority user in my team. Shadow Force destroys Arceus Ghost and Giratina. Earthquake is for Steel and Rock types, and also Groudon-Primal. Lum Berry is chosen just in case the opponent try to send to Arceus a status to cripple it, and to not break the rythm of the Hyper Offence. But I consider Silk Scarf as another good item option to hit harder with Extrem Speed. Repart change to outspeed Mega-Ray and get Speed tie with other Arceus. Silk Scarf to not die quickly by LO recoil.

upload_2014-11-24_3-50-0.jpeg

Curse u tran (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 104 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

XY Ubers God is still here. GeoXern is bulky, and VERY powerful. A Hyper Offence team doesn't have necessary a Xern check. If you Geo and keep Xerneas healthy enough to survive Extrem Speed assaults, that's pretty much gg. Get a huge boost with Power Herb Geomancy. Moonblast is his move of choice boosted by Stab, Fairy Aura, it's OP, nothing to say much. Psyshock hits occasional Poison Types, Blissey and Co, and Ho-Oh after Rocks. Hidden Power Ground destroys Heatran, hits hard Steels like Klefki and is super effective against Groudon-Primal. Oh well, and Victini.

upload_2014-11-24_3-50-20.jpeg

GeoMence (Salamence) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

The Star of my team. This monster is forgotten with the big presence of Mega-Rayquaza. I choose him and I don't regret it. It hits VERY hard, that's insane! Intimidate the opponent, go Mega and setup just one Dragon Dance. You have enough power to KO full HP Xerneas and Arceus, with Aerilate Double-Edge! This move is devastating against everything who doesn't resist it. Main resistances are Rock, Steel and Electric types, that's why Earthquake is here. This move is also useful against blobs to not take huge recoil. With its good bulk, MMence can Roost in certain situations and recover the lost HPs by Double-Edge.

-> Double Edge is here over Return to ensure key OHKOs. Here are some calcs after a DD :

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence (145 base attack) Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 388-457 (87.3 - 102.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 459-540 (109.5 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 271-321 (65.3 - 77.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 301-355 (88 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Sadly I don't have replays yet because of some Smogon crashes :/

Threatlist:

- Mega-Rayquaza. Hmm, may I use Solrock again?
- Stone Edge offensive ground pokemon like Double Dance Groudon-Primal.
- Ditto, but with my two sashed pokemon he's not that problematic. Liepard can T-Wave it.
- Scolipede lead who is nearly guaranteed to put hazards.

Thank you everyone to read my RMT! I would be pleased to have your opinions about my team!
Rate My Team, and enjoy ORAS :)

Last edited:
Pastebin:

Chatroll (Liepard) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

Morphee (Darkrai) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

Number 1 (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

EK-47 (Arceus) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Force
- Earthquake

Curse u tran (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 104 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

GeoMence (Salamence) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

I thought of Sableye instead, but Liepard has got prankster Thunder Wave and fast knock off.
Klefki is good also, but let Deoxys spiking.

I mean Liepard accomplishs work that Sableye and Klefki can't totally

Last edited:
Thank you for your response based n bad.
In fact, liepard's role is to prevent hazards thanks to prankster taunt, so I could take the momentum after I forced my opponent to kill the liepard. Then my game began agressive as much as possible. That's the idea basically.
Nice suggets, Jolly LO Ekiller seems a nice alternative. I should make calcs for Salamence when the calculator will come back. LO Darkrai, why not. But I didn't find too much lack of power without the LO.

Maybe you can Replace Liepard with Klefki.because klefki is bulkier and have recovery via Draining Kiss,which is help you to stay in field.priority hazard also apreciated to help your team.but overall you have a good team.

Hi, Antacool!

Nice team you've got there! Really solid stuff. I can't really come up with much stuff to change, but the one thing that I think your team can really benefit from would be a poke with Toxic, specifcily to beat Lugia. It would be hard to fit it onto your team, but I suppose removing Groudon's Fire Punch for it can be an option, as Groudon can lure Lugia in and easily Toxic him and put a timer on him.

Thks xDesch!
Toxic is an interesting suggest for Lugia, especially for Reflect variants. However he's not that threatening with Darkrai and even Liepard (Knock off, Taunt and Twave shuts Lugia down easily). Fire Punch is my only fire move in my team, so to remove it might be problematic if I face Ferrothorn or a Skarmbliss core, I don't know!

First, congratulations on making a team that shows originality (especially when pretty much everyone's running PDon and MRay, myself included...). There are some things that I'd like to point out:

1. Too much set up. I think even for hyper offense teams, you really shouldn't have more than 2 set-up sweepers. The pace of the meta right now is very tight and fast (duh) and it's pretty hard to set up freely. With one set-up you can abuse the free turns that do show up. With two you can brute force your way through after one falls. Three however... You now have three mons that you want to keep healthy as much as possible and that severely limits your wriggle room.

So here is my first suggestion: Change Geomancy Xerneas to Choice Scarf Xerneas. With max Sp. Atk investment, Xerneas can still sweep by spamming Moonblast once its counters are removed. It also outspeeds SD MRay to nail it with Moonblast. I think Xerneas at this point can barely survive +2 Espeed from MRay. I don't know if the spread can be worked to make surviving +2 Espeed a bit more reliable. Been wanting to do it for a while but haven't gotten around to do it >.<

2. Scolipede wrecks you pretty hard. You either lose your Liepard (haven't done the math but I think 3 hits will do it) or Darkrai (four hits will do it, especially if he runs Protect to block Dark Void), or you are gonna concede hazards which completely wrecks Sash. So I'm gonna suggest changing Liepard to Prankster Thundurus with Volt Switch. You still get Prankster Taunt and Thunder Wave. Against Scolipede you can Taunt it, resisting its Pin Missile, Switch out to break Sash and Espeed it to death (or T-Wave and Switch to something faster to avoid the devastating 1 HP Endeavor, you get the idea). Against Deoxys leads, you do have access to Crunch coming off of base 115 Atk (in fact I think it might be worth it to run a Sp. Atk hindering nature here to reduce the damage you take from Endeavor).

3. Defog support. I think it's important for any team that doesn't rely on laying multiple layers of Spikes to have Defog (you cud use Rapid Spin too but Spinners are generally bad in Ubers). Not sure how you would fit that in without making drastic changes, but here's a little food for thought: instead of going all out offensive on Ekiller, you could consider a semi support, perhaps with SD | Espeed | Defog | Recover/Refresh/Shadow Claw/Force/EQ with perhaps Leftovers or Silk Scarf (or even Shed Shell if you don't have coverage, but that's pretty gimmicky). I am not certain about this one at all, although with everyone running MRay, Mega Gengar has taken a backseat, so it's not as bad as before to run mono attack Espeed. Just food for thought.

4. If you can keep your side free of hazards, Sash Darkrai can check MRay. Your current set must wait for MRay to show itself first. OR, you can run T-Wave so you can Dark Void a little more liberally. Thundurus also has Prankster T-Wave that could come in handy in a pinch. None of these are definite suggestions.

5. MegaMence. MegaMence is actually a good check to SD MRay (DD MRay wrecks it, but it's actually doable for your team to T-wave it), because it outspeeds MRay, can live an E-speed, and KOs with Dragon Claw. If you want to take advantage of its Intimidate, it might be worth it to run Protect over Roost, to safely Mega Evolve (before you Mega Evolve, MRay outspeeds and will KO you with DA). I would also suggest Return over Double-Edge, but it might miss out on key KOs and I don't wanna suggest that without doing some math first.

Summary:
Xerneas @ Choice Scarf | Fairy Aura
Timid Nature | 128 Def / 248 SpA / 132 Spe (this spread makes sure that Xerneas survives Adamant MRay +2 Espeed after SR while faster than max speed Deoxys-A)
Moonblast | Focus Blast | HP Ground | Psyshock

Thundurus @ Leftovers | Prankster
Impish Nature | 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def (Never dies to neutral nature Deoxys-A Psycho Boost)
Taunt / Thunder Wave / Crunch / Volt Switch

Thank you for your message CallMeSerious.
Excellent suggets there, I didn't think about using Thundurus instead of Liepard.
I will definitely try the suggests for Thundy and ScarfXern. I may be well prepared for MegaRay now, I don't know if it's necessary to change MegaMence set just for him. Roost helps me sponge Pdon hits, as he might be now a bit more threatening with ScarfXerneas.
I will also replace EQ by Defog.
Oh and Knock Off isn't better than Crunch ?

Thank you for your message CallMeSerious.
Excellent suggets there, I didn't think about using Thundurus instead of Liepard.
I will definitely try the suggests for Thundy and ScarfXern. I may be well prepared for MegaRay now, I don't know if it's necessary to change MegaMence set just for him. Roost helps me sponge Pdon hits, as he might be now a bit more threatening with ScarfXerneas.
I will also replace EQ by Defog.
Oh and Knock Off isn't better than Crunch ?
Oops, I didn't see Knock Off on the list of moves that Thundurus learns. Yeah go for Knock Off.

And yeah, the only two changes I'm pretty confident about are Xern and Thundurus. The rest are just suggestions, cuz I'm not sure of those either.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Antacool,

This is a pretty cool team. I think Liepard is an interesting choice, as Klefki tends to do much better at everything regarding Paralysis spam (especially given the fact that you can't even para Ray and stuff because of Extreme Speed, though I'd have to calc it). The only main thing it has going for it is anti-leading Deoxys, which is not bad I guess. Regarding Thundurus, I think it's an interesting choice. The main problem is that Primal Groudon has a free day against it, which is kind of annoying. I also strongly disagree with Crunch/Knock Off. As for the team overall, it seems pretty standard with Mence>Ray which I'm not sure has quite a distinct enough niche to warrant usage on this team, but it's not bad. I don't see any major holes at least; Ray is just so good to be honest, but you do have ways of checking it, especially playing well with Ekiller to revenge it. I don't enjoy the ground weakness though.

Also, a few more notes on the above rate- I don't think protect on Mence is really effective, since Roost is a pretty essential niche in being less susceptible to priority. Also, the offensive nature of this team coupled with Liepard's anti-leading abilities make defog kind of inefficient on this team.

Regarding changes, I guess you could try Thundurus or Klefki, over Liepard, the former of which is more effective as an anti-lead (run GK or something to at least hit grounds, you get to 2HKO Primal Groudon which is super helpful, a LO timid set is probably best suited for this team), and the latter of which can stop Ray and other stuff much better. You also get to punish with your own spikes. I'm not a huge fan of Sashed Darkrai; this team can kind of limit hazards but honestly Sash is not helping you with much especially since you just get hit with priority anyways. Life Orb would be more effective here, since it can hit a lot of offensive threats quite hard, notably you can OHKO Ray at +2 (you don't get KO'd by espeed btw). I'd keep Geoxern by the way, as otherwise you give Primal Don a lot of room, especially dangerous with SE or dragon claw.

Good luck!

Thank you Haxiom !

Great comments, nothing to say more! You resumed well the pros and cons of my team.

Thundurus is very cool, but I may change the set presented just before (Volt Switch/Knock Off combo is kind of uneffective with the omnipresence of Pdon).
Something like Taunt, T-wave, Grass Knot, Volt Switch/Thunderbolt. Timid LO max Speed SpAttack.
And yes about Xerneas, I prefer Geomancy since Pdon can come on locked Moonblast and threaten my team. Honestly ScarfXern is only good for Mega-Ray (who is correctly countered with the other pokemon) and maybe opposing Darkrai.
I don't have any problem at all to setup with every pokes because I just need in everycase only 1 turn to hit effectively, and I force switches a lot of time.
Even if I don't really need Defog 3/4 of the time thanks to Liepard, Defog over EQ is nice on Ekiller. It's great when I face a team leaded by Scolipede.

IMO at least one Sashed pokemon is needed for my team. Otherwise Ditto seems scary because it prevents my team to boost up. I just go to Sashed Darkrai and Dark Void it (and I'm thinking of using T-wave on it but I don't know). Liepard is also great to stop Ditto.

so I may have two good choices:

- LO Darkrai + sashed Liepard + Defog Ekiller
- Sashed Darkrai + LO Thundurus + EQ Ekiller !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)