Mega-Salamence: considering a quick ban (Don't ask for the thread to be closed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We don't use usage in ubers as an argument to keep something OU / ban something to ubers. This means that the next person that takes it upon themselves to say "Hey, I think Mega Mence would suck in Ubers because Mega Rayquaza outclasses it", I will purge you from the site. Furthermore, I'm just going to infract users that make posts in violation of my etiquette thread that's stickied at the top of the forum. Its there, it has big letters saying "READ ME", so if you fail to either read it, or break several of the points I mentioned, I'll just default to an instant infraction.

This is hilarious. I'm sure any argument I could make has been covered earlier in this thread so I won't waste much time. Quickban Megamence. I would rather try to counter Palkia than this thing. Really the only question I have is if Mega Salamence is more broken than Mega Kangaskhan or not. Both require zero skill to use and can bust through their own counters without much effort.

The big reason I support a quickban and not a suspect test is that there's no way it'd pass a suspect test for reasons seriously overstated already. But there are other reasons, and it might be beneficial to vocalize them. If not, it's not like anyone's going to read this specific post out of the hundreds there have been on the subject.

Negative affects on the development off the meta is a big one. Sableye for instance is still high on my list of things to watch out for despite having very little viability or usage, and that's entirely because it was insanely popular for being one of the only ways to deal with mega khan. We don't want similar things happening with ice shard or scarf noivern, so we should get rid of mega menace (even auto correct knows how stupid salamence is) as soon as possible.

There's also the negative impact it'll have on the newb population. All the new people who bought ORAS and decide note is the time they choose to join competitive battling will choose one of two strategies: whatever crappy pokes they happen to like, and whatever everyone else is using. The first group will immediately be turned off by how hard it is to beat salamence, and probably quit right then and there, and the other group will be turned off by how hard it is to win without salamence, because that's all they learned, and they'll probably quit as soon as salamence is banned too. We may hate to admit it, but smogon relies on new members just like every other community, so we don't want people quitting.

And finally, the sooner we get through salamence, the sooner we can get to whatever else ORAS made suspect worthy. Greninja seems to be the first on lots of people's list, and who knows what will be broken in a salamence-less meta. The sooner we're done with this under, the sooner we can get to a balanced meta that everyone likes.

TL;DR: let's not waste any time, quick ban and move on

Eric: forget all that, I just remembered it's thanksgiving break and I might have time to grrr reqs for once, so I now support a suspect test on the condition we do it immediately

Last edited:
It's not banned at the moment. It should be.
Anyways, I think sashed Noivern would actually counter it well.
As soon as you see Salamence, switch into Noivern. Usually one of these three things will occur:
1. Salamence-Mega will hit Noivern on switch in surviving the hit; DeadMence because Noivern is literally a faster Mon.
2. Salamence-Mega will substitute. Noivern will still be faster and Draco Meteor will still hit because of Infiltrator.
3. Salamence-Mega will dragon dance. Next turn both dragons will exchange, resulting 0% Salamence 1% Noivern.
EDIT: NVM. Noivern is UU and hates OU. Too much stealth rocks for it to work.
Quickban MegaMence. Please.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Mega Salamence has the stats and moves to be what it is: the next broken thing.
It's one of those mons who can't be beat by a burn, nor easy to revenge kill(specially if it got an intimidate off on you). It can run even non-invested special attacks for Rhyperior or w/e. It has a fantastic speed stat that makes it one of the fastest dragons. It certainly is over-centralising to the extent that you've to have many checks/counters to it. I say quick ban it(and then go for greninja)

e: for those who may want it
0- SpA Salamence Hydro Pump vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 432-510 (101.8 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm not sure why it's not quickbanned already.

It doesn't matter whether it's quickbanned or whether it's suspect tested; either way, the end result is the same.

GG MegaMence.

Alright I'll do my best to reorganize my thoughts and come up with a more outlined argument. I don't appreciate being called retarded or trolling, when almost everything I say gets chopped up into pieces out of context. Or even better it just comes down to a subjective disagreement "it's overpowered" "no it's not" and immediately get insulted. Come on people

1. Is it overcentralizing?
At the moment it is probably the best offensive megamon to use. But why is it the best? Straightforwardly, because there are no alternatives for offensive teams to use. Therefore most people are running it and everyone needs a counter or multiple checks.

2. Everything at Salamence's level is already in ubers
Kangaskhan's ability adds roughly the same amount of damage to its attacks that Salamences aerialate does. Lucario's adaptability does much the same. And mawile hits even harder. All 4 of those pokemon hit awfully hard even unboosted. Close, but not at the same level, are gallade heracross and pinsir which are the next best things for offense to use (and are actually better in a handful of situations, certainly viable choices) but aren't as immediately threatening as the above four. Blaziken is a bit of a different beast and doesn't hit as hard (immediately) but typically boosts easily and is by no means weak unboosted. Other things like skymin or aegislash have their own reasons to being voted uber before.

3. Therefore Salamence belongs in ubers like the above pokemon
This is where I just completely and fundamentally disagree. I've gotten insulted for saying this but I very strongly believe that all the of the ubers (except cover legends) actually interact with eachother very well and keep eachother at bay. A completely reopened (or almost completely) OU tier would be a complete mixed bag and Salamence would no longer be a centralizing threat

It is completely impossible to foresee the interplay that all the so called "broken" things would have between each other.

Unleashing them would "solve the overcentralized Salamence" problem which is at least one point that I have that can't really be denied. Showdown has never seen what an unlocked ORAS tier would look like. All we have is Salamence alone being the dominant offensive threat. Everything would be completely scrambled around and I can completely guarantee that there would be no single centralizing force.

"We don't drop things from ubers just to balance out one overpowered threat"
This misinterpretation gets posted over and over. The fact that Salamence would get a couple new checks is just completely a side effect of the main point I'm trying to make. I'M NOT ADVOCATING THAT WE NEED OLD UBERS TO HELP FIGHT SALAMENCE.

What I am saying is that we should drop just about everything back into OU to examine it, experience it, and try to redefine our feelings on what "broken" even means anymore. Terms like "overpowered" and "skill-less" get thrown around far too loosely and it's because the prevailing mindset around here is that we need to preserve some sort of defensive balance and recreate a gen3/4/5 meta of easy switch ins and effortless pivoting.

Instead I think the modern pokemon game is supposed to suppress and punish any idea that you can get a rotom/alomola/landorus in for free every time and pivot out for free momentum. Wallbreakers like deoxys and lucario around every corner would kill off that sort of thing. I think that if you actually want a pivot or counter for something in OU then you actually have to dedicate a teamslot to it and have something that is legitimately bulky like slowbro or megascizor.

The fact that Rotom-W can't always break Salamence's subs is a ridiculous complaint. Maybe you should be punished for it? Maybe you're just not supposed to be able to run full HP and defense investment and switch around for free? You have to make a choice now; can break subs but is not bulky, or bulky switches in a lot but can't break subs.

That is just one example of trying to play the old game, but it also applies to things like "I should be able to use specs keldeo" and "I should be able to use landorus and not get set up on" and "I should be able defensively handle Salamence without actually running bulky things on my team"

Why should you be able to do any of those things? Because it worked after everything stronger than Pinsir was banned? Because you want to have a "defensive core" without actually making any sacrifice at all on your offensive capabilities? Now you get punished for running "bulky" crap like Lati@s, Rotom, Mew.

Hilariously, with mence around, stall is actually being well rewarded for making the sacrifice on offense and going safe with skarmories, heatrans, porgyon, slowbro, whatever.

"We could never be covered for everything if ubers was reopened! Stall would die and everything would be 50/50s"
This is just not true at all. Just because a horde of previously uber megas would be running around doesn't mean various defensive staples like heatran, slowbro, chansey, sableye, and ferrothorn would not be doing their jobs. And just because there would be more threats to worry about DOES NOT MEAN you would suddenly have no salamence checks on your team. For example in a completely reoppened tier you might have greninja, scarf genesect, and thundurus all working together to deal with various threats. Those 3 alone have all kinds of CHECK answers to mence, mawile, lucario, and so on. Scarf ninja could even deal with boosted blaziken and mence both too.

Did you notice that mamoswine not only helps against mence but seriously hurts mawile and aegislash both? Did you notice that genesect will always get the sp.atk boost against salamence and it also resists both of mawiles STABs? How about the new sabeleye fucking with some lucario and salamence sets both? Mega slowbro with ice beam/fireblast/scald both does very well against mence and mawile and blaziken. Not to mention all the prankster users that are helpful against everything.

Did you notice that not only has the offensive power level increased but defensive mons have gotten better as well?

Slowbro gets all of calm mind, iron defense, amnesia, and has various EV options. Ghosts like sabeleye and aegislash are fucking great. Charizard-X is amazing at what he does. Altaria is a completey underrated defensive beast. Porygon2 is tracing all kinds of intimdates and proteans. Even sweepers are getting enough "bulk" to survive a hit in a pinch, like gallade and metagross.

Stall wouldn't die lol it'd evolve like it always has. Stall is by far my favorite playstyle and I would still love to see everything from mawile to salamence to genesect back in the tier.

"They were banned for a reason why bring them back? It's backward progress."
Because many of the people who voted for banning the original suspects like lucario and deoxys were doing so with a gen5 mentality still fresh in their minds. By now everyone has experienced just how offensive gen6 has become and it's been shocking, much the same as the original gen4 power up. I think everyone was trying to preserve a game where things as questionably weak as zapdos and latias should actually be able to get free switch ins. Players want to have speed AND power AND pivot ability AND enough bulk to handle the meta. Lol that's so screwy, if you want to have any defensive answers at all to the meta then you have to pay a price somewhere. You use skarm instead of landorus and you use sylveon instead of clefable and you use defensive ttar instead of terrakion.

Meanwhile, not only would defense go through its own evolutions but offense would be completely revitalized and have all kinds of toys to use instead of just 1.

This:

That is infinitely better than whatever stale OU game you're trying to preserve by banning things:

tl;dr

1. Mence is overcentralizing because there are no other good options and his teammates don't need to worry about previous ubers.
2. Switching in should be difficult to do. You shouldn't be able to run something that is barely bulky enough against the meta and is also powerful and fast.
3. Only stall teams should be capable of switching against the top threats.
4. Stall and even bulky offense would have defensive answers in a reopened OU
5. No one can say what the meta would even look like. It might surprise everyone and be better than you expect
6. "Nothing can switch into kangaskhan/deoxys/xxxxx" -- this is part of the game. Stall teams scout the moves or status and offense teams pressure it.
7. Please re-evaluate everything. It's not a waste of time if it's exciting, challenging, fun, and certainly worthwhile

If nothing will ever be retested then just ban mence because it is better than everything else by too large of a margin. But I very strongly think that completely (or almost completely) reopening ubers is a better choice.
So basically, what you're trying to say is that unbanning all Ubers is better than banning Salamence? Yeah, no...

3. Therefore Salamence belongs in ubers like the above pokemon
This is where I just completely and fundamentally disagree. I've gotten insulted for saying this but I very strongly believe that all the of the ubers (except cover legends) actually interact with eachother very well and keep eachother at bay. A completely reopened (or almost completely) OU tier would be a complete mixed bag and Salamence would no longer be a centralizing threat
Banning Mega Salamence would have a similar effect to unbanning all Ubers into OU; Salamence would no longer be centralizing and OU can have a healthy development.

7. Please re-evaluate everything. It's not a waste of time if it's exciting, challenging, fun, and certainly worthwhile
Yes, fighting Mega Mence is challenging, but it's not fun nor worthwhile; therefore it would be a waste of time.

Hilariously, with mence around, stall is actually being well rewarded for making the sacrifice on offense and going safe with skarmories, heatrans, porgyon, slowbro, whatever.
Mence sets up on all those mons, bar P2 (and Skarm if it carries Whirlwind, which it most likely will be running nowadays).

In other words, I highly disagree with "reopening" Ubers/unbanning all Uber mons; it's a waste of time imo.

Anyways, I think sashed Noivern would actually counter it well.
As soon as you see Salamence, switch into Noivern. Usually one of these three things will occur:
1. Salamence-Mega will hit Noivern on switch in surviving the hit; DeadMence because Noivern is literally a faster Mon.
2. Salamence-Mega will substitute. Noivern will still be faster and Draco Meteor will still hit because of Infiltrator.
3. Salamence-Mega will dragon dance. Next turn both dragons will exchange, resulting 0% Salamence 1% Noivern.
Noivern certainly isn't a counter, since sashes are so easy to break. However, Scarf Noivern at least checks Mega Mence, even after a DD and past a sub. Draco Meteor is a OHKO unless Mence has 252 EVs in HP and at least 20 in SpD.

But if that's not a bizarre, little-use-against-anything-else solution, I don't know what is. And those things people are packing to slow down Mega Mence, like Weavile and Mamoswine, kill Noivern deader than disco.

Mega salamence is beast! Not only does it have outrageous attack it has great bulk and speed! This thing has enough bulk to easily set up a sweep without thinking. just add a little dual screen support and call gg. It is counter able but it instantly makes you take caution because one slip up and this thing can take out your team..

I'm actually scared of killing things without U-Turn or Volt Switch, because my opponent's Mega-Mence then gets a free turn to Sub/DDance.
I know this is a one liner, but this is what I find most broken about Megamence, simply the fact that I don't know any physical mon with -1 it can't setup on. I mean MMawile Play Rough can't OHKO Mence with -1 lol

A lot of reasons are stated, considering above and the general idea of what Mega Mence is all about, a quick ban seems like a good solution.

Farewell MegaMence. I love you because you finally deserved your god-status, but the weaker mons can't be compared to you. Time to ascent to your big brother Quaza.

The arguments have been made, this is a centralizing poke (almost feels like RBY Ubers in that your team is Salamence and then pokes that handle Salamence) that has no place in OU.

Quickban this so we can stop wasting time and start getting an actual ranking thread discussion going.

Well, just two get my two cents in before a decision is made, I also say quick ban. There is very little Mega Mence can't do, for example its special movepool is large enough to lure each of its counters, after a DD I can't think of a single thing that outspeeds it allowing it to sweep better than Zard X and Mega Gyarados could ever hope for while giving itself extra physical bulk before mega evolving with intimidate. Like wise, I find it hard to justify using another mega when mega Salamence is around and can beat everyone of its counters and sweep more or less effortlessly. This mon is not something like Aegi which deserved the suspect test (and was banned narrowly iirc), if it was suspected I'd expect the vote to be near unanimous or completely unanimous. Honestly, quick ban it now so that the meta can develop further.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rhyperior isn't even a good check anymore because I've seen more and more mences running Hydro Pump to take out Rhype.
Hydro Pump honestly isnt that great on mega mence, the main reason why Rhyperior isnt a good check anymore is because it has a poor defensive typing and gets overwhelmed by powerful attackers due to its lack of recovery. Yeah, its great to handle bird spam, but even solid rock cant save it from its 4x weakness to water and grass attacks.

Hydro Pump honestly isnt that great on mega mence, the main reason why Rhyperior isnt a good check anymore is because it has a poor defensive typing and gets overwhelmed by powerful attackers due to its lack of recovery. Yeah, its great to handle bird spam, but even solid rock cant save it from its 4x weakness to water and grass attacks.
Hydro Pump is on one of Mence's viable sets; a good check/counter should be able to take on all of a 'mon's sets.
Also Rhyperior's job isn't taking special water/grass attacks just like Heatran's job isn't taking earthquakes; it makes a great physical wall otherwise to take on Garchomp, Mega Charizard X, Bisharp, Diggersby, Terrakion etc. while also being a great stop to choice-locked volt switches.
But it can't handle Mence. Dear god it cannot handle Mence; nothing can. I'm not even sure why we're still posting anything here anymore; I think pretty much everyone except two people with a bad misunderstanding of the metagame agreed that this thing is far too broken for OU. Best we just sit back and wait for the council do it's thing.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hydro Pump is on one of Mence's viable sets; a good check/counter should be able to take on all of a 'mon's sets.
Also Rhyperior's job isn't taking special water/grass attacks just like Heatran's job isn't taking earthquakes; it makes a great physical wall otherwise to take on Garchomp, Mega Charizard X, Bisharp, Diggersby, Terrakion etc. while also being a great stop to choice-locked volt switches.
But it can't handle Mence. Dear god it cannot handle Mence; nothing can. I'm not even sure why we're still posting anything here anymore; I think pretty much everyone except two people with a bad misunderstanding of the metagame agreed that this thing is far too broken for OU. Best we just sit back and wait for the council do it's thing.
The reason why I think that Hydro Pump isnt great on mence is because its targeting just one Pokemon, while you could run Draco Meteor to do 60-70% to Rhyperior and also heavily dent Rotom-W, Zapdos, and others.

I just feel like there will be one guy in the council that disagrees and then we wait for another few months before we ban it. Pls just QUICK BAN!!!!!!!
lol anyone who manages to be part of the council has to know what they are doing so to even seriously considering to keep Mega Salamence in the tier would put their reputation in jeopardy xD

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Please try not to post stupid one-liners, especially if they aren't even relevant to this thread. Thank you
>tells him not to post one-liners
>your post is a one-liner
I'm sorry, I had to :P
In all seriousness, there is no need to mini-mod this discussion, as we should just let the forum moderators do their job. Tbh, just about everything that can be said about mege mence has been said so far, there really isnt much else to discuss.

Ok I know wat it says on the top of the thread but, I don't see any defense for it anymore so please just close the thread. Almost 97% of the people in this thread are all in favor of the quick ban and we are only going in circles right now. Judging from the arguments made here, I see no reason as to why this thing wasn't banned from the start. Close the thread so we can discuss about more controversial things like if greninja should be banned or if aegislash should be unbanned. I know what the title says, but I still dont see a valid claim as to why this thread hasn't been closed.

Since this seems to keep coming up and people need a reason to keep the thread open, I can come up with one. For starters, this thread has only been open for about 4 days including Friday. It's important to keep the thread open for a long enough time that anyone with a good counter argument for why we shouldn't quick ban Mega Salamence has enough time to hear about this thread and post their argument for the council to see and consider. Now, do I think there is a good counter argument right now? Not really, but I'm also pretty bias and want to see it gone just as much as about 95% of the people posting here, so I may not have the needed mindset to come up with one myself. However, if we close this thread too quickly just because of the current consensus, then down the line people may begin to complain that we didn't give enough time for those against the quick ban to actually respond to it in this thread. Keeping the thread open for the proposed 7-10 days (which I believe one of the mods said was the time range for keeping the thread open) helps to quash this argument, since if you didn't here about this thread and come up with a counter-argument in 7 days, you probably didn't care enough and/or couldn't really come up with a decent counterargument in 7 days. We can say that we don't care about public image, but at the very least it's important to give people a chance to voice their opinions so that down the line, no one can complain that we didn't give them a chance. Are we going to get trolly 1 liners and terrible "I can kill Mega Mence, therefore he's not broken"-esque arguments? Without a doubt, but if the mods couldn't handle it they wouldn't let the thread be open for 7 days. As such, the least we, as responsible members of the community, can help mods by not posting dumb 1 liners and by not responding to the more obvious trolls.

If the mods are keeping this thread open for reasons other than what I've said, feel free to delete this so I don't lead people astray.

I) Quick bans will be made when a certain aspect (be it a Pokémon, an ability, a move, an item or a combination of the aforementioned) of the metagame becomes so blatantly broken that passing it through a formal suspect test would be a waste of time and effort for everyone. From now on, quick bans will be made according to the following circumstances:
  1. Before the council makes the final decision, a thread will be posted in Policy Review, so that everyone who has posting privileges in that forum will get the chance to weigh in and potentially influence the decision. The thread will stay open for approximately one week;
  2. When the decision is made, the council will post a thread in Uncharted Territory. The post will provide the reasons behind the ban.
Ok, so the reasons have been stated, and mence is obviously broken. We've provided enough information to back up the claims.

Because it's so broken, obviously, a suspect test is useless. The council knows this.

Everyone, stop asking for the thread to be closed, it will be closed more or less Friday! Reason because, the council lets the thread run for ONE WEEK. Friday we should honestly get a decision.

His checks or counters don't justify a suspect test because he easily can run FIRE BLAST!

He has teammates to handle Greninja, Weavile, etc.

Stop trying to make this meta centralize around him. That's not how it's suppose to be!!!

Last edited:
While Mega Salamence is obviously a force to be reckoned with, I don't think it warrants a quick ban for a few simple reasons. 1: Greninja is a very commonly used Pokemon in OU and a standard timid protean Greninja with ice beam outspeeds and 1 hits mega mence if it doesn't have a dragon dance under its belt. And even if it has a d dance, both of its stabs are easily walled by the common ou tanks/hazard setters that are Ferrothorn and Skarmory. If Mence is packing EQ, then one of those two steel types are immune and the other takes neutral damage, and Ferrothorn can EASILY heal from that if it's packing leech seed, and most do. I saw Mega Mence a fair bit in the ORAS OU format prior to the game's official release, and a few times since as well. It has given me no hassle except in random battle when I either was given no counter or my counter was beat before my opponent revealed their mega mence. Why did it give me no trouble? Because of the counters I named. So many people use those Pokemon even since before mega Mence was announced and while those are the most common, there are others as well. Here's an example from UU: Skill link Cloyster with focus sash and shell smash. If it gets the smash before Mence gets sent out, it outspeeds it easily. Otherwise just smash and spear; that's what the sash is there for, to make sure it gets the shell smash in without getting 1 shot. That's been a pretty standard Cloyster set for a long time. Mega Lopunny can fake out on the turn it mega evolves, then ice punch once it has its mega speed on turn 2. Mega Sceptile can hit with a STAB dragon move, mega sharpedo if it got a speed boost or two before mega evolving then strong jaw ice fang, etc. There are plenty of counters to Mega Mence that are plenty useful all around so that they aren't on one's team JUST to counter Salamence, both pre-existing and new, and the pre-existing ones I've named aren't being changed up for the sake of dealing with one new Mega. I say suspect test Mega Salamence since so many people think it's so OP, but I don't think a quick ban is necessary.

TL;DR: Greninja, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Mega Lopunny, Mega Sharpedo, Mega Sceptile, Cloyster, Weavile, anything with ice shard, etc. Plenty of defensive steel types to check Mence's STABs and some fast counters that can take it out with a strong ice attack, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. All of which are commonly used, not just required on a team to deal with 1 new Mega. Suspect test, but don't quick ban Mega Salamence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)