Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Bullet Punch

Metang is criminally underrated, it's really good. Metang checks most of the Normal-types, checks Grass-types (none of them carry HP Fire nowadays), checks Psychic-types, etc etc. It's the only good Steel-type on offensive teams that has access to SR, but it does a hell of a good job at checking the stuff it needs to. It has no recovery which sucks, but it can still switch into what it needs to most of the time. The EVs ensure that Meteor Mash always breaks standard Bouffalant's Subs if it hits, although you can find a better spread if you want. Bullet Punch lets you pick off stuff like weakened Sneasel, Aurorus, etc. Toxic allows you to punish all the Ground-types that like to switch into you.

tl;dr: use Metang, it beats everything

Why is Golem in PU? As far as I can see, it has the best stats, and with a little bit of boosts from solrock, let me win a 6 v 1 (well 6 v 2 counting solrock, but he has no attacking moves).
My question is can a pokemon be banned even though it is under the 3.4(etc..) mark?

Golem's PU because it faces enormous competition in the higher tiers, primarily from Rhydon (who's amazing) in NU. While Golem fits its role very well, especially in PU, it's very predictable (it has one viable set with flexibility in only its item and maybe one move), and has a bunch of hard counters. Think Tangela, Torterra, Poliwrath, etc. Its speed is poor, with Sucker Punch being easily exploitable.

Pupitar @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Pupitar may be beaten quite easily by Water- or Grass- attacks, but that doesn't prevent it from being good. Unlike Golem, it has access to Dragon Dance, that makes it suited way better than Golem as an offensive attacker, though Golem is better for setting up Stealth Rock. Eviolite also helps it at setting up Dragon Dance with more ease, as well as it allows Pupitar to take hits from both physically offensive and specially offensive Pokemon better. For example, Eviolite helps it by checking Sneasel (Sneasel 2HKOes with Ice Punch when attached to Life Orb, while Pupitar OHKOes back with Stone Edge/Superpower. However, this doesn't mean it can switch in well). It also beats stuff such as Garbodor, and Golem with Earthquake relatively easy, as well as Togetic with Stone Edge, and it beats Ninetales on the switch-in. Its second niche lies in Shed Skin; unlike most pokemon, Pupitar is capable of healing its status by itself, meaning inflicting burn on it isn't a reliable stop to it. Stone Edge and Earthquake are solid STABs, that grant high base power along with great coverage. Superpower most importantly hits Piloswine better than its STAB attacks, as well as it hits Tauros and Bouffalant better, though this move should be used sparingly as Pupitar cannot afford the Attack and Defense drop.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pupitar @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Pupitar may be beaten quite easily by Water- or Grass- attacks, but that doesn't prevent it from being good. Unlike Golem, it has access to Dragon Dance, that makes it suited way better than Golem as an offensive attacker, though Golem is better for setting up Stealth Rock. Eviolite also helps it at setting up Dragon Dance with more ease, as well as it allows Pupitar to take hits from both physically offensive and specially offensive Pokemon better. For example, Eviolite helps it by checking Sneasel (Sneasel 2HKOes with Ice Punch when attached to Life Orb, while Pupitar OHKOes back with Stone Edge/Superpower. However, this doesn't mean it can switch in well). It also beats stuff such as Garbodor and Golem with Earthquake relatively easy, and beats Ninetales on the switch-in. Its second niche lies in Shed Skin; unlike most pokemon, Pupitar is capable of healing its status by itself, meaning inflicting burn on it isn't a reliable stop to it. Stone Edge and Earthquake are solid STABs, that grant high base power along with great coverage. Superpower most importantly hits Piloswine better than its STAB attacks, as well as it hits Tauros and Bouffalant better, though this move should be used sparingly as Pupitar cannot afford the Attack and Defense drop.
Though this sounds pretty nice in theory, I doubt it works as well in practice simply because its typing makes it easy to revenge kill by common Scarfers as well as Rain and Sun. Especially the big weakness to Sun is a huge pain, because of how popular sun is. I would rather use Altaria or Fraxure as a Dragon Dancer. I might try it out though, because it does have nice STAB EdgeQuake, and Shed Skin is cool.

Just gonna pop in with something I've been using recently:

Rotom-F @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I started using this when I was looking at an old RMT by FLCL the other day for BW NU, and it was the best idea I've seen in a while. He eschewed Trick for Hidden Power Ice because he never found Trick that useful and he hated missing against a 1% Ground-type like Golem or Hippopotas, and I completely agreed. Give it a try imo n_n.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to ORAS! As you know we got cool buffs like Mega Lopunny, Altaria, Camerupt, Glalie, Beedrill, and Pidgeot. We also got goodies like Kecleon + every good move ever, and Aurorus + Earth Power.

Some of my thoughts after a day of laddering:

Ban the Megas imo, if not at least get rid of Mega Lopunny. This shit is just ridiculous; nothing in the tier can avoid getting 2-3HKOed by Return / HJK. Almost every game I've played around the top of the ladder revolved around getting in Mega Lopunny and KOing something. There's no reason not to use Mega Lopunny atm, and it's way too good and has no counters. Besides, it actually has a free moveslot apart from Fake Out / 2 STABs and Lopunny's support movepool is actually pretty awesome so it gets moves like Encore, Baton Pass, Healing Wish, and Protect if you want to mess with other Lopunny.

That said, with Mega Lopunny and Altaria being as broken as they are, I've been using this on my team to take full advantage of the broken Mega spam:

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SpA / 1 Spe
- Transform
-
-
-

In case you didn't know, Ditto can transform into Megas AND get the Choice Scarf boost. This means Ditto can easily come in after something dies on Mega Lopunny / Mega Altaria and simply fire off an extremely powerful and fast hit that wrecks stuff, essentially being a broken Mega on steroids (it's actually safer to use Ditto against opposing Mega Lopunny / Altaria to avoid risking Speed ties). This also gives me the equivalent of two Megas which is really cool so it doesn't matter as much as it would have if my own Mega Lopunny gets KOed. Ditto also has utility outside of that, being a great revenge killer etc but you all know that stuff.

To deal with Mega Lopunny I've also been running Protect on random mons to make them HJK and take a ton of recoil, so that's one way I guess.

tl;dr:
- use Mega Lopunny
- use Ditto

Lupunny is broken at the point than you cannot know what else is broken (well and Altaria). We need to quick ban them. But in the meantime, i have a good reason to use Shedinja and Ditto.
The others have few counters too, for Pidgeot we have Electrode, SpD Carracosta (i cannot runs calcs now, i forget how much him take from HP Grass), some dedicated walls, and i dunno, Pachirisu? His bulk is good, he can take priority not-named Ice Shard (thanks to god Ice type is god tier here).
Beedrill is more easy, you can use either Ghost-Types or Steel-Types, nobody runs both Knock Off and Drill Run in the same set, without Protect him lose to offense.
I have no experience with Glalie in any tier, but with pure therymon is scary, 100 base speed is pretty awesome, and deals tons of damage to pretty much everything, but you can always try with Avalugg, Piloswine or Shedinja. Freeze Dry take most of her checks.
Camerupt have no switch ins, Fire Blast and Earth Power kill pretty much everything, and you have HP Electric/Ancient Power/Rock Slide for Mantine (Fire Blast is enough for Peli), his speed make him manageable if you dont use Stall (stall is dead with this thing in the tier), you dont want to face him under trick room god.

And people need to use Kekcleon before NU take it from our hands :c

Welcome to ORAS! As you know we got cool buffs like Mega Lopunny, Altaria, Camerupt, Glalie, Beedrill, and Pidgeot. We also got goodies like Kecleon + every good move ever, and Aurorus + Earth Power.

Some of my thoughts after a day of laddering:

Ban the Megas imo, if not at least get rid of Mega Lopunny. This shit is just ridiculous; nothing in the tier can avoid getting 2-3HKOed by Return / HJK. Almost every game I've played around the top of the ladder revolved around getting in Mega Lopunny and KOing something. There's no reason not to use Mega Lopunny atm, and it's way too good and has no counters. Besides, it actually has a free moveslot apart from Fake Out / 2 STABs and Lopunny's support movepool is actually pretty awesome so it gets moves like Encore, Baton Pass, Healing Wish, and Protect if you want to mess with other Lopunny.

That said, with Mega Lopunny and Altaria being as broken as they are, I've been using this on my team to take full advantage of the broken Mega spam:

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SpA / 1 Spe
- Transform
-
-
-

In case you didn't know, Ditto can transform into Megas AND get the Choice Scarf boost. This means Ditto can easily come in after something dies on Mega Lopunny / Mega Altaria and simply fire off an extremely powerful and fast hit that wrecks stuff, essentially being a broken Mega on steroids (it's actually safer to use Ditto against opposing Mega Lopunny / Altaria to avoid risking Speed ties). This also gives me the equivalent of two Megas which is really cool so it doesn't matter as much as it would have if my own Mega Lopunny gets KOed. Ditto also has utility outside of that, being a great revenge killer etc but you all know that stuff.

To deal with Mega Lopunny I've also been running Protect on random mons to make them HJK and take a ton of recoil, so that's one way I guess.

tl;dr:
- use Mega Lopunny
- use Ditto
Aurorus doesn't just get earth power, it also gets hyper voice and sr. It's actually a pretty solid mon now tbh, I used a simple LO set which makes a great sr setter and I rekt user: TRC with it.

Other moves include:

-Foul Play and Synthesis Gourgeist
-Magic Coat Carbink
-Knock Off + Icicle Crash Sneasel (lol gg)
-Stealth Rock Barbaracle
-Heal Bell Meowstic
-probably other stuff I'm forgetting

Also all of the megas are really stupid, this tier can't handle any of them and we'll be banning them rather quickly (pidgeot is walked by lickilicky and glalie and beedrill are walled by avalugg though @_@)

Also kecleon will be a god now

Last edited:
Aurorus doesn't just get earth power, it also gets hyper voice and sr. It's actually a pretty solid mon now tbh, I used a simple LO set which makes a great sr setter and I rekt user: TRC with it.

Other moves include:

-Foul Play and Synthesis Gourgeist
-Magic Coat Carbink
-Knock Off + Icicle Crash Sneasel (lol gg)
-Stealth Rock Barbaracle
-Heal Bell Meowstic
-probably other stuff I'm forgetting

Also all of the megas are really stupid, this tier can't handle any of them and we'll be banning them rather quickly (pidgeot is walked by lickilicky and glalie and beedrill are walled by avalugg though @_@)

Also kecleon will be a god now
That's a shaky wall. If Pidgeot gets Confusion hax, it can proceed to steamroll Lickilicky and the rest of the team. I'm more than in favor of a ban to the megas. OU is a perfect testament to how bad centralization like that can be.

Grim

The Ghost
That's a shaky wall. If Pidgeot gets Confusion hax, it can proceed to steamroll Lickilicky and the rest of the team. I'm more than in favor of a ban to the megas. OU is a perfect testament to how bad centralization like that can be.
Lickylicky gets Own Tempo, so it's not going to get Confusion haxed.

Grim

The Ghost
True, but that ability carries the opportunity cost of Oblivious, which lets you dodge Taunt. So you can either wall Pidgeot, or not be shut down by anything carrying Taunt.
I would not say that Lickylicky gets shut down by anything carrying Taunt, since it has a decent (in PU) attack stat of 85. Oblivious is definitely the better ability though if Pidgeot is no issue.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Something else that gets a small, but yet cool toy:

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
Im really hyped for this because currently i have used taunt lead monferno, which is cool, outspeeds glalie, but lacks an offensive presence. This poke now gets stealth rock, and sits at a cool, base 68 speed, which not only outspeeds kircket, but also speed creepers, such as missy who creep jolly 65. I also cannot see glalie in this tier much longer, which is the main other suicide lead. Water STAB is also cool, hitting pokes like golem and piloswine who also lead (damage calc is dead but iirc it can live ice shard + eq).

Also with the new megas they are still broken even with walls (pideyot and beedrill have easily enough speed to sweep through offensive teams, or simply uturn out from switchins)

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the double post. Now that i have more experience with the megas, ill post properly now:

Lopunny is the mega i have used first, and so far has been amazing. Due to scrappy, it only needs its dual STAB, hjk and frustration to hit the entier tier neutrally (mah shedinja), so has two free moves. I decided to opt for fake out, as it allows a safe mega and can revenge kill faster pokes such as scarf haunter. Coverage wise i have seen ice punch but that only really hits torterra "/. Quick attack could work to RK mega beedrill easier, but i prefer its great support movepool. Baton pass allows it to pivot out from bad situations, eg portect beedrill, whilst encore is nice for annoying bulky shit and set up sweepers, healing wish is cool, sub and power up punch/focus punch is kinda gimmicky, but prevents revenge killing. This thing is a pain to switch into, offense have to rely on scarfers to revenge kill (adamant bunny gets past zeb and sneasel), or priority. Even then, its ok bulk allows it to live. Stall on the other hand basically loses, tangela is 2hkod by a roll if rocks are up 0.0. This has to be my favourite mega to use to far.

Beedrill is even more of a pain for offense to handle. BAse 145 allows it to beat lopunny so there is not much outspeeding it. Sadly, it has to chose between knock off and drill run, either allowing it to beat missy or garbodor, whilst poison jab and Uturn allow it to do a ton of damage, whilst protect allows it to mega evolve freely. Stall has an easier job vs this, avalugg avoids the 2hko after rocks (ph def versions avoid 3hko after rocks, but have to be weary of poison), or missy/garbage once you find out the coverage. As an offensive player, i hate playing against this. It has the ability to 2hko pokes such as poliwrath, and the only thing that can check it is piloswine, which gets 3hkod by uturn (2hkod if 2 rocks switch ins), these pokes are the bulkiest stuff on offense. I have found myself having to use scarfers like dodrio just to beat this and bunny. Fortunately, its low defenses make it easily OHKO-able, even weak walls 2hko

Altaria is probably the best mega in pu due to its strength bulk and versatility. Special sets can break most special walls (licky avoids 2hko luckily), because coverage allows it to break fairy resists (steels hate switching in to fire blast). Tailwind is a cool move ive tried on it, just use it on the switch out and then you have three turns to destroy the opponent, this is amazing vs offense, who are pretty much forced to sack things. Dragon dance is also amazing, return has enough strength meaning it doesnt need eq (which lets it beat poison/steel types), but instead, use something like heal bell or facade, which allows it to laugh at status, and set up vs bslam licky and other walls. The best part about this has to be its typing, which allows it to set up on stuff like ninetales, serprior, which are common on offensive teams. Further more, it shits on licky, as it is immune to dragon tail and bodyslam para is nothing with heal bell. ITs type also allows it to beat circle throw users and there arent many whirlwind/roar pokes anyway. With frustration , ditto isnt a reliable check, as they are all max happiness, even some which have min can get bopped by return. I really love this poke.

My favourite check for all these megas has been scarf mime (weird right?).

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
Psyshock ohkos drill and bunny, d gleam does about 80% to mega altaria. Dual stab is obvious coverage, but i chose trick for walls like licky, who can constantly switch in (scarf isnt needed for defensive teams), and healing wish. Healing wish is amazing. I use this with mega altaria to allow it to sweep after it has originally weakened a team and on low hp. It also creates a fairy spam core, which is surprisingly effective because mime can psyshock poison types, and if running eq, taria beats steels (i personally dont due to the fact that there arent many, klang, bastiodon and metang get ruined by trick). Overall this is a solid poke and creates a cool core with dd mega altaria.

Also sorry to the guy who i bashed for using scarf mime; i was just salty, but in reality, you are a genius

These are the megas i have used the most so far, i might comment on glalie/pidgeyot/camel later. Im not too sure if we will keep any (due to brokeness), even if we do, usage will probably take them from us .-.

this is a really fun set i have been using:

Aurorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power

Aurorus makes for a really good sr setter, since with max speed it's faster than almost all other sr setters and can hit them really hard with its strong stab refrigerate hyper voice. it has pretty much perfect coverage, with freeze dry bopping stuff like poliwrath and pelipper and earth power hitting random steels. tri attack might still be better than hyper voice if it doesn't get any koes, since the random status is probably more consistently useful than hitting through subs, but i'm just using hyper voice now because it's new and shiny. so yeah, this is a really good sr setter now instead of just a generic ice type, and i really recommend trying it out ^.^

also confirming that all of the megas are broke and that kecleon is indeed an absolute god now

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this is a really fun set i have been using:

Aurorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power

Aurorus makes for a really good sr setter, since with max speed it's faster than almost all other sr setters and can hit them really hard with its strong stab refrigerate hyper voice. it has pretty much perfect coverage, with freeze dry bopping stuff like poliwrath and pelipper and earth power hitting random steels. tri attack might still be better than hyper voice if it doesn't get any koes, since the random status is probably more consistently useful than hitting through subs, but i'm just using hyper voice now because it's new and shiny. so yeah, this is a really good sr setter now instead of just a generic ice type, and i really recommend trying it out ^.^

also confirming that all of the megas are broke and that kecleon is indeed an absolute god now
Tbh I still feel like Nature Power might be the better normal-type move to have on Aurorus, the extra chance to status something plus avoiding sucker punch are much nicer than just a small bump in power and the ability to hit behind subs. I can't really think of anything off of the top of my head that Aurorus would really want to hit behind a sub anyways.

Tbh I still feel like Nature Power might be the better normal-type move to have on Aurorus, the extra chance to status something plus avoiding sucker punch are much nicer than just a small bump in power and the ability to hit behind subs. I can't really think of anything off of the top of my head that Aurorus would really want to hit behind a sub anyways.
Serperior/Chatot, you dont want to take two Giga Drains and the less amounts of coin flips the better.
But either way, i have no idea if you lose any valuable KO.

I've recently discovered Pokémon Showdown, mainly enjoying the [Seasonal] Strikes Back. I don't see the appeal of using precreated teams, so I'd like to build a team from Pokémon that I find interesting, but of course that means that I'll probably pick gimmicky Pokémon or movesets rather than good ones. Where's the best place to get help understanding (so simply telling me that a moveset is shitty is unhelpful, sorry) which are shitty gimmicks and which are creative? Here are the movesets that I've currently tried (some with more success than others):
  • Freeze-Dry
  • Hurricane
  • Roost
  • Substitute
Gimmick:
  • Freeze-Dry improves coverage by 8%
  • Top 11% defences of all 'mons
Unfortuantely rather weak to (Stealth) Rock.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-178927904
  • Facade
  • Return
  • Stone Edge
  • Dragon Tail
Alternative set:
  • Nature Power
  • Ancient Power
  • Freeze-Dry
  • Hidden Power [Water]
Gimmicks:
  • The Refrigerate ability changes Facade, Return and Nature Power into STAB Ice type
  • Top 3% HP of all 'mons and decent defences too
  • Stone Edge
  • Cross Chop
  • Night Slash
  • Shadow Claw
Gimmick:
  • All moves have an increased chance of a critical hit that is boosted by the Sniper ability (could consider an item to further boost the chances)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-203573472 Luckily for me Omanyte was asleep so I was able to take him out without needing a critical hit.
Alternative set:
  • Stone Edge
  • Razor Shell
  • Earthquake
  • Shell Smash
Gimmick:
  • The Tough Claws ability increases the damage of those attacks
Could be used with Wide Lens to give Stone Edge and Razor Shell more accuracy.
  • Iron Head
  • Stone Edge
  • Earthquake
  • Substitute
Gimmicks:
  • The Soundproof ability prevents attacks that bypass Substitute
  • Top 9% defences of all 'mons
  • X-Scissor
  • Poison Jab
  • Knock Off
  • Focus Energy
Gimmick:
  • With Focus Energy and an appropriate item, all attacks will result in a critical hit with the damage bonus from the Sniper ability
Alternatively use Focus Energy with Drill Run.
(This predates Mega Beedrill.)
  • Psychic
  • Thunderbolt
  • Signal Beam
  • Shadow Ball
Gimmick:
  • Beheeyem is quite slow, so likely to pick up the boost from the Analytic ability
  • Bug Buzz
  • Air Cutter
  • Quiver Dance
  • Roost
Gimmick:
  • The Tinted Lens ability ensures unresisted coverage (could consider Giga Drain)
  • Fire Blast/Lava Plume
  • Earth Power
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
Gimmicks:
  • Camerupt's Solid Rock ability decreases his nasty Water weakness to 3x
  • Fire/Ground typing is only weak against some Flying and Levitating types
  • Camerupt is slow so a Zoom Lens will probably ensure that Fire Blast hits (adjust speed IVs for extra effect)
Alternatively, how about a weather set (pick any 4):
  • Earth Power
  • Sunny Day
  • Fire Blast/Lava Plume
  • Growth
  • Solar Beam
Gimmicks:
  • Intense sunlight doubles the Growth boost
  • Intense sunlight allows Solar Beam to take effect in a single turn
  • Intense sunlight increases the power of Fire Blast
  • Camerupt is slow so a Zoom Lens will probably ensure that Fire Blast hits (adjust speed IVs for extra effect)
(This predates Mega Camerupt.)
  • Cosmic Power
  • Stored Power
  • Recover
Gimmick:
  • Cosmic Power boosts Stored Power while weaking attacks, allowing recovery time
Needs a fourth move. Weak to Haze, phasing moves, Dark types, etc. etc.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-178740455
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-189031403
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-203013067
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-206657264
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-178740455 Swoobat doing something similar
  • Leech Seed
  • Substitute
  • Nature Power
  • Taunt
Gimmick:
  • The Prankster ability makes all these moves have priority
  • Psychic
  • Recover
  • Calm Mind
  • Signal Beam
Gimmick:
  • The Magic Guard ability protects from background damage
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-179996816
  • Night Shade
  • Seismic Toss
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Confuse Ray
Gimmicks:
  • Attacking moves are fixed damage, so you don't need good stats
  • Dusclops learns both moves, so you can still attack Ghost types
  • With Eviolite, has the 3rd best defences of all 'mons
  • Thunderbolt
  • Flash Cannon
  • Hidden Power [Ground]
(Not sure what to choose for the 4th move; nobody resists all three moves.)
Gimmick:
  • Only Excadrill/Drillbur have a super-effective STAB (Mold Breaker Earthquake... unless you use Air Balloon or Magnet Rise...)
  • Volt Switch
  • Electro Ball
  • Hidden Power [Ice]
  • Substitute
Gimmicks:
  • The Soundproof ability prevents attacks that bypass Substitute
  • Has the top 2% Speed of all 'mons
Alternatively you could use Magnet Rise against a predicted Ground attack.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-206660168 With a bit of help from Chimecho.
  • Slash
  • Leaf Blade
  • Night Slash
  • Roost
Gimmick:
  • With the Inner Focus ability and the Stick, all attacks will result in a critical hit
  • Surf
  • Ice Beam
  • Grass Knot
  • Hidden Power
Gimmicks:
  • Protean ability means that all attacks have STAB
  • Somewhat speedy meaning that type might change before opponent's attack lands
Hidden Power Fighting is the most offensive, closely followed by Ground. Hidden Power Steel gives you the most chance to resist or to switch types to confuse your opponent, followed by Ghost and either Rock or Poison respectively.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-195812840
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-178589126 (HP Electric; maybe I was running Dark Pulse instead of Grass Knot)
  • Hyper Voice
  • Charge Beam
  • Dark Pulse
  • Surf
Gimmicks:
  • As I've selected Charge Beam to boost, Assault Vest is usable
  • Has the top 15% Speed of all 'mons
  • Aerial Ace
  • Foul Play
  • Power-Up Punch
  • Recover
Gimmick:
  • Protean ability means that all attacks have STAB (Dedenne still resists them all though)
By contrast to Eelektrik I'm suffering from 4MSS here. I'm currently leaning towards:
  • Surf
  • Freeze-Dry
  • Rest
  • Rain Dance
Gimmicks:
  • Rain Dance boosts Surf
  • Rain Dance and Hydration prevents status, including from Rest
  • Freeze-Dry hits super-effectively when Surf is resisted
  • Top 2% HP of all 'mons and decent defences too
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-178927904
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-177393245 (using Thunder rather than Freeze-Dry)
  • Dark Pulse
  • Air Cutter
  • Roost
  • Defog
Gimmicks:
  • With Super Luck and an appropriate item, Air Cutter will always critical hit
  • The Dark/Flying type has good coverage
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-177773211
  • Swift
  • Fake Out
  • Hidden Power [Ground]
  • Icy Wind
Gimmicks:
  • All these moves are boosted by the Technician ability
  • Has the top 8% Speed of all 'mons
  • Earthquake
  • Icicle Spear
  • Ice Shard
  • Toxic
Gimmicks:
  • Good defences (top 4% of all 'mons if you use Eviolite) and Attack
  • The Thick Fat ability protects against the Ice type weakness to the Fire type
  • Access to a priority move
  • Facade
  • Earthquake
  • Thunder Wave
  • Confuse Ray
Gimmicks:
  • Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray to stall while Slow Start wears off
  • Facade because opponents will try to inflict status
  • Has the top 4% defences of all 'mons (top 7% HP helps)
  • Once Slow Start wears off, has the top 2% Attack and top 16% Speed of all 'mons
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-178589126
  • Giga Drain
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Spikes
  • Rest
Gimmick:
  • The Natural Cure ability means that Roselia can rest and then switch out
  • Air Slash
  • Stored Power
  • Charge Beam
  • Roost
Gimmicks:
  • The Simple ability doubles the boost from Charge Beam powering up Stored Power
  • Has the top 9% Speed of all 'mons
Could be used with Weakness Policy for an extra boost, or Wide Lens to give Air Slash more accuracy.
  • Circle Throw
  • Knock Off
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
Gimimcks:
  • The Guts ability boosts the power of Sleep Talk
  • When Sleep Talk calls Circle Throw, can deny opponent a move
  • Top 6% HP of all 'mons and good defences and reasonable Attack too
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-179996816 (Yes, he can take out a Cotton Guard Furfrou.)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-205091994
  • Air Cutter
  • Night Slash for increased critical hit chance (100% if using both Super Luck and item)
  • Hidden Power [Ground]
  • Roost
GimmickS:
  • With Super Luck and an appropriate item, Air Cutter and Night Slash will always critical hit
  • Has the top 16% Attack of all 'mons
  • Ice Ball
  • Rollout
  • Defense Curl
  • Hail
Gimmicks:
  • Hail heals Walrein and does residual damage to opponent at the same time
  • Defense Curl doubles initial power of attacks to 60
  • On 5th move power of attack is now 960
  • Reasonable defences
Weak to parafusion.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-179996816
  • Dazzling Gleam
  • Hyper Voice
  • Fire Blast/Lava Plume
  • Wish
Gimmicks:
  • Good wish passer because 140 HP is in the top 2% of all 'mons
  • Has a useful Normal/Fairy typing that only gives him two weaknesses
  • Wigglytuff is slow so a Zoom Lens will probably ensure that Fire Blast hits (adjust speed IVs for extra effect)

Other Pokémon I've tried playing with but I don't have the moveset handy: Clefairy, Dedenne, Duosion, Frillish, Golem, Hippopotas, Kriketune, Liepard, Ninjask, Scyther, Shroomish, Swoobat, Tangela, Wormadam-Sandy.
Here are some other movesets that I created but I never got around to battling with:
  • Fury Swipes
  • Fake Out
  • Brick Break
  • Knock Off
Gimmick:
  • Use Razor Fang or King's Rock to give Fury Swipes a 41% chance to flinch
  • Pin Missile
  • Poison Jab
  • Sticky Web
  • Toxic Spikes
Gimmick:
  • Dual hazards
Not very useful against Flying types though.
  • Gunk Shot
  • Earthquake
  • Crunch
  • Rest
Gimmick:
  • The Shed Skin ability often wakes up a Rest early
  • Waterfall
  • Aqua Jet
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Superpower
Gimmicks:
  • The Adaptability ability increases the power of Waterfall and Aqua Jet
  • Weather Ball
  • Hurricane
  • Thunder
  • Rain Dance
Gimmicks:
  • Rain does all sorts of stuff to Weather Ball
  • Hurricane and Thunder can't miss in Rain
  • Poison Jab
  • Drain Punch
  • Dual Chop
  • Fake Out
Gimmick:
  • Dual Chop doubles the chance of the Poison Touch Ability
  • Facade
  • Acrobatics
  • U-turn
  • Roost
Gimmick:
  • The Gale Wings ability turns Acrobatics and Roost into priority moves
  • Toxic
  • Venoshock
  • Brave Bird
  • Roost
Gimmicks:
  • Toxic boosts the power of Venoshock
  • The Infiltrator ability allows the moves to bypass the opponent's Substitute
  • Seed Bomb
  • Leech Seed
  • Synthesis
  • Stockpile
Gimmick:
  • The Shell Armor ability prevents critical hits from breaking through Stockpile
  • Drain Punch
  • Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
  • Mach Punch
Gimmicks:
  • The Iron Fist ability boosts these moves to 90/48 power
  • Good defences and Attack (top 10% of all 'mons if you use Eviolite)
  • Bug Buzz
  • Charge Beam
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
Gimmick:
  • The Prankster ability makes Rest and Sleep Talk have priority
  • Crabhammer
  • X-Scissor
  • Amnesia
  • Iron Defense
Gimmick:
  • The Shell Armor ability prevents critical hits from breaking through the boosts
  • Drain Punch
  • Mach Punch
  • Power-Up Punch
  • ThunderPunch
  • Ice Punch
(Choose any four.) Gimmick:
  • All these moves are boosted by the Iron First ability
Shame it doesn't get STAB on any of them though.
  • Dynamic Punch
  • Dual Chop
  • Knock Off
  • Mega Kick
Gimmick:
  • With the No Guard ability, Dynamic Punch and Mega Kick have 100% accuracy
(I bet No Guard + Fissure is popular in-game.)
  • Play Rough
  • Aqua Tail
  • Aqua Jet
  • Toxic
Gimmicks:
  • The Fairy/Water type has good coverage and not many weaknesses
  • The Sap Sipper ability immunises against the Grass weakness
  • Dream Eater
  • Yawn
  • Light Screen
  • Reflect
Gimmicks:
  • The Prankster ability makes all these moves have priority, except Dream Eater, but then the opponent is asleep anyway
Shame he's already in the top 14% Speed of all 'mons.
  • Tail Slap
  • Wake-Up Slap
  • Knock Off
  • U-turn
Gimmick:
  • Use Razor Fang or King's Rock to give Tail Slap a 41% chance to flinch
  • Fire Punch
  • Mach Punch
  • ThunderPunch
  • Power-Up Punch
Gimmick:
  • All these moves are boosted by the Iron First ability
  • Bug Buzz
  • Air Slash
  • Quiver Dance
  • Roost
Gimmick:
  • The Tinted Lens ability ensures unresisted coverage
Could be used with Wide Lens to give Air Slash more accuracy.
  • Psychic
  • Dazzling Gleam
  • Focus Punch
  • Substitute
Gimmicks:
  • The Fairy/Psychic type has good coverage
  • Combining the Soundproof ability with Substitute makes it likely that Focus Punch will hit
If using the Technician ability, then use Charge Beam and Hidden Power instead.
If using the Filter ability, then use Shadow Ball and Hidden Power instead.
  • Poison Jab
  • Payback
  • Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
Gimmick:
  • The Stench ability adds a 10% Flinch chance
  • Reasonable defences and Attack
  • Poison Jab
  • Drill Run
  • Sucker Punch
  • Hone Claws
Gimmick:
  • Hone Claws boosts accuracy allowing the use of the Hustle ability even with Drill Run
Nidorino is probably slightly better as he outspeeds Poliwrath for example.
  • Air Slash
  • Heat Wave
  • Hidden Power [Ground]
  • Roost
Gimmicks:
  • The Tinted Lens ability ensures unresisted coverage
  • Has the top 13% HP of all 'mons
Could be used with Wide Lens to give Air Slash more accuracy.
Hidden Power Ground is used aginst Electric and Rock types who resist and SE STAB Flying.
Heat Wave is used against Steel types who resist or Ice types who SE STAB Flying.
If you're not worried about facing Bastiodon then you could use Hyper Voice instead.
This leaves you with a free slot for a utility move such as Defog or Tailwind.
  • Rock Slide
  • Fire Punch
  • ThunderPunch
  • Bulldoze
Gimmicks:
  • All these moves have secondary effects which trigger Sheer Force which removes Life Orb recoil
  • Has the 9rd best Attack of all 'mons, and that includes 5 Megas
  • Has the top 15% HP of all 'mons
  • Return
  • Horn Leech
  • Leech Seed
  • Jump Kick
Gimmick:
  • A Wide Lens will probably ensure that Jump Kick hits
  • Surf
  • Ice Beam
  • Flash Cannon
  • Focus Energy
Gimmick:
  • With Focus Energy and an appropriate item, all attacks will result in a critical hit with the damage bonus from the Sniper ability
  • Venoshock
  • Flamethrower
  • Toxic
  • Giga Drain
Gimmicks:
  • Toxic boosts the power of Venoshock
  • The Infiltrator ability allows the moves to bypass the opponent's Substitute
Alternatively instead of Giga Drain use Rest with the Shed Skin ability.
  • Razor Shell
  • Icicle Spear
  • Rock Blast
  • Ice Shard
Gimmicks:
  • The Skill Link ability makes Icicle Spear and Rock Blast always hit five times
  • Discharge
  • Earth Power
  • Muddy Water
  • Stealth Rock
Gimmick:
  • Stunfisk is slow so a Zoom Lens will probably ensure that Muddy Water hits (adjust speed IVs for extra effect)
  • Boomburst
  • Brave Bird
  • Roost
  • Endeavour
Gimmicks:
  • 125 Speed is in the top 3% of all 'mons
  • Boomburst ignores Substitute
  • The Scrappy ability allows him to hit Ghosts with Boomburst
  • Ancient Power
  • Ominous Wind
  • Silver Wind
  • Roost
Gimmicks:
  • With the Serene Grace ability all attacks have a 20% chance to boost all stats
  • Top 7% defences of all 'mons
  • Blizzard
  • Freeze-Dry
  • Hidden Power [Ground]
  • Hail
Gimmicks:
  • Hail heals Vanilluxe and does residual damage to opponent at the same time
  • Hail gives Blizzard 100% accuracy
  • U-turn
  • Double-Edge
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
Gimmick:
  • The Prankster ability makes Rest and Sleep Talk have priority
Alternative set:
  • Bug Buzz
  • Roost
  • Tail Glow
  • Baton Pass
Gimmick:
  • Baton Pass the Tail Glow boost(s)
  • Aqua Tail
  • Earthquake
  • Rain Dance
  • Rest
Gimmicks:
  • Rain Dance boosts Aqua Tail
  • Rain Dance and Hydration prevents status, including from Rest
  • Only weakness is Grass, although that's 4x
  • Facade
  • Brick Break
  • Knock Off
  • Quick Attack
Gimmick:
  • Use a Toxic Orb to boost both Facade and Attack via the Toxic Boost ability

Other Pokémon I've been considering: Bouffalant, Chatot, Combusken, Dedenne, Dragonair, Flareon, Glaceon, Gigalith, Lileep, Linoone, Luxray, Magmortar, Poliwrath, Regice, Regirock, Scyther, Shelgon, Sneasel, Swirlix, Ursaring, Vigoroth, Vullaby.
Pokémon next up to consider: Carbink, Dusknoir, Joltik, Hariyama, Klang, Lickilicky, Meowstic-F, Mesprit, Metang, Seaking, Seismitoad, Slaking, Torterra, Uxie, Venipede, Wartortle, Weezing, Whirlipede, Zweilous.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
Now that i have more experience with the other meges i will comment on them:

Mega Glalie is strong,looks cool, but has quite a few problems. Ice/ground coverage hits everything apart from rotom-f (which gets 2hkod), bronzor and surskit (lol), for neutral damage. This means, after return/eq, it can run some more ice moves \o/ or spikes. I have tried explosion, for amazing power which can even ohko resists, and freeze dry, which 2hkos wrath without investment (neutral nature tho). It pretty much breaks most walls, misdreavus gets 2hkod, golem ohkod, but avalugg walls it. This is a problem as the ice table is getting more usage as it walls beedrill and physical mega altaria, and glalie can use uturn or fire blast to get passed it (spikes is nice to use a free turn, but table can spin them away). Another flaw is its speed; 100 just isnt good enough against offensive teams, as common pokes such as tauros can come in and revenge kill. Overall as long as you have avalugg or something with more than 100 speed this isnt going to sweep (ik its a wall breaker). I can still see this being broken, as there is one pokemon that can switch in, and other than against poliwrath switch in, you dont need to predict, just spam stupidly strong moves. Also note that this has defeated strong players such as kushalos and the mighty robert alfons.

Mega pideot is really underwhelming, STAB base 120 move coming off a base 130 special attack should be enough to break the meta huh. Most teams have ways to deal with it, stall run lickilicky or other niche things like stunfisk and bastiodon, whilst offense commonly carry electric types such as scarf rotom. It is still cool, and there are reasons to use it, mainly its good speed. The only real things outspeeding it are scarfs and mega bunny/bee, however most offensive teams tend to carry one of those, which is annoying. Another nice thing about this is the team support it brings, its respectable bulk (and effectively no item) allow it to check both throh and poliwrath, which is nice considering how they are the bain to most physical attackers. Im also on the fence about this being broken, it probably will if drill/altaria/bunny (which are definitely broken IMO) go, due to the less of an opportunity cost

Mega camel looks really really cool. This mon is really strong however its low speed prevents it from doing a lot. It can pretty much 2hko the entire meta (apart from mantine) with fire blast and earth power, so can run other moves like hp electric, wisp and rocks to hit mantine and provide some support. I first tried it on a trick room team, and it did perform well, however, it was no better than other wall breakers like ursaring (still broke offense, but tr teams do that). Outside of trick room it has works, very hard to switch into, but not hard to revenge kill. Its unique typing allows it to check quite a few threats as it resists mega altarias return/hyper voice, can tank sneasels icicle crash and also live tauros's eq. It sadly cannot constantly check due to lack of recovery, also means it can only switch in once, in fear of 3hko. Its also easy to revenge kill due to its low speed and a quad weakness to water, however can live strong non stab ground ones (actually lives pilo eq) so most of the time, you will have to sac at least 1 poke to this. Im also not sure about whether or not this is broken, unlike glalie, this has 0 switch ins, but it is harder to get in due to its horrible speed

As you probably know, i cannot talk too much on mega chimecho or mega delcatty as they havent been programmed into ps yet. I think chime is going to be similar to mew (taunt/recover/knock off etc), or can sweep with calm mind, whilst cat, so far, is an inferior lopunny

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mega camel looks really really cool. This mon is really strong however its low speed prevents it from doing a lot. It can pretty much 2hko the entire meta (apart from mantine) with fire blast and earth power, so can run other moves like hp electric, wisp and rocks to hit mantine and provide some support. I first tried it on a trick room team, and it did perform well, however, it was no better than other wall breakers like ursaring (still broke offense, but tr teams do that). Outside of trick room it has works, very hard to switch into, but not hard to revenge kill. Its unique typing allows it to check quite a few threats as it resists mega altarias return/hyper voice, can tank sneasels icicle crash and also live tauros's eq. It sadly cannot constantly check due to lack of recovery, also means it can only switch in once, in fear of 3hko. Its also easy to revenge kill due to its low speed and a quad weakness to water, however can live strong non stab ground ones (actually lives pilo eq) so most of the time, you will have to sac at least 1 poke to this. Im also not sure about whether or not this is broken, unlike glalie, this has 0 switch ins, but it is harder to get in due to its horrible speed
If you're really having that much trouble with Mantine then try running rock slide, even uninvested I'm sure 2HKOs. Also just bring camel in on things that can't do anything to it, force the switch, and watch something die.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The PU Council has decided that Altarianite, Lopunnite, and Beedrillite will be quick-banned. Each of them are so offensively potent, that the tier has difficulty dealing with them without resorting to stuff like Avalugg and random revenge killers. We will hold off on judgement of the remaining Megas until we have time to test them out more, as so far they haven't screamed "broken" as much as the ones we are banning.

If anyone needs a full explanation, they can PM me or just read the post by Anty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)