Gen 6 Primal Kyogre

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
primal ogre.jpg

Type: Water
Stats: 100 HP/150 Attack/90 Defense/180 Special Attack/160 Special Defense/90 Speed

Ability: Primordial Sea -When a Pokémon with Primordial Sea enters battle, the Ability creates heavy rain, a unique variation of rain. The heavy rain lasts as long as the Pokémon with Primordial Sea is in battle.
Along with the usual effects of rain, heavy rain causes Fire-type moves and Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail and Sandstorm to fail. It also causes the Abilities Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream and Snow Warning to fail to activate.

Origin Pulse
Water Spout
Scald
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunder
Rest
Sleep Talk
Roar
Calm Mind
Hidden Power (Ground, Grass)
Earthquake
Aqua Tail
Waterfall
Subsitute
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Icy Wind

Overview:

Kyogre's state in the ORAS meta is really unclear. A lot of people, including myself, feel that it got nerfed pretty hard, seeing as almost every team will have both Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza, both being Kyogre checks. With that being said, neither of the above-mentioned Pokemon have reliable recovery; meaning if the meta steers away from HO, and it turns out Balance is actually playable, Kyogre can slowly wither them down and eventually rampage over teams.

Potential Movesets:

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 Special Attack/4 Special Defense/252 Speed
Timid/Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- HP Ground/Calm Mind

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
EVs: 248 HP/8 Spa/ 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Roar

----

Discuss Away oo

tbh pkyorge isnt gonna last in ubers it was nerfed so much and the ability :/ why fire because no fire types moves would affect it without it but it can still be useful.i will be using and only using defensive pkyorge

In my opinion Kyogre in general and particularly Primal Kyogre isn't really that good in the ORAS metagame. There are many superior pokemon slots on teams, also Primal Kyogre really isn't made for a mainly Hyper Offense metagame and i also don't see a metagame shift towards balance so Primal Kyogre might not improve in the metagame ever, and i really won't be using it much.

tbh pkyorge isnt gonna last in ubers it was nerfed so much and the ability :/ why fire because no fire types moves would affect it without it but it can still be useful.i will be using and only using defensive pkyorge
Probably fire because doubles.

Imagine staring down the barrel of Pryogre+Genesect (or megazor, or ferrothorn).

But yeah, it seems pretty underwhelming for uber singles when you put it next to specs/scarf Kyogre. Its biggest niche is probably going to be as a check/counter (the latter depending on how much punishment physDef PK can take) to Primal Groudon, seeing as it's one of only three or so pokemon that can actually use water-type attacks on it.

Agree that thisthing is pretty bad. It should be moved to OU.
Sadly, just because a pokemon sucks in ubers doesn't mean it will suck in OU.

If anything, Primal Kyogre would rip and tear OU to shreds, and since you would need a blue orb( an item) to use PKyogre, that means that REGULAR KYOGRE would drop. See a little problem here *cough*scarf*cough*

Primal Kyogre is not bad imo, as Origin Pulse does some serious dammage to anything that doesn't resist it. Even if Scarf/Specs variations are great, you can't switch to Primal Groudon so I think it's better to use the Primal form.

One more potential set I found:

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Infinite rain makes Primal Kyogre better than Kyogre for this set, and it passes throught Palkia.

Origin Pulse is just like Hydro Pump with more PP and accuracy, so no real buff to Kyogre in that sense, also i really dislike the fact that you are completly walled by Primal Groudon wich is very popular and so act as set up bait for it so i don't really like that set.

Origin Pulse is just like Hydro Pump with more PP and accuracy, so no real buff to Kyogre in that sense, also i really dislike the fact that you are completly walled by Primal Groudon wich is very popular and so act as set up bait for it so i don't really like that set.
it doesnt completely wall kyogre lol. primal groudon wont be enjoying ice beams especially offensive variants, taking damage like that may hinder its sweep.

also a set that i like for primal kyogre is max hp max spatk
origin pulse
ice beam
rest
sleep talk

I don't think you got that i was referring to the set Cirdec posted since Primal Groudon's ability makes it immune to water, also using no speed on Kyogre is kinda bad, i would recommend speed creep on that set for other base 90s and such.

I don't think you got that i was referring to the set Cirdec posted since Primal Groudon's ability makes it immune to water, also using no speed on Kyogre is kinda bad, i would recommend speed creep on that set for other base 90s and such.
Yes speed creep may help. But we usually dont put speed creep on set description.

Not taking advantage of that base 150 attack stat seems like a waste, especially considering it gets Earthquake which is its most reliable attack against PDon.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not taking advantage of that base 150 attack stat seems like a waste, especially considering it gets Earthquake which is its most reliable attack against PDon.
It's literally useless since normal Kyogre already murders every Special Wall with Specs Water Spout. Also what yohoE said.

I find it quiet how a lot of people consider Primal Kyogre useless because they think normal Kyogre is better since it has Scarf to be faster or actually hits harder with Specs while totally forgetting all the other viable sets of the giant whale which got even better.

Additionally, with weather no longer being 5-8 turns, Kyogre no longer relies on another weather abuser in the team or the opponents team to remove the rain, so it can switch back again and continue abusing it and only 3 Pokemon are able to overwrite Primal Kyogre's Ability allowing it to spam that Rain-Boosted Origin Pulse and Thunder most at the time.

I am glad Game Freak balanced this thing out enough so it does not overshadow Kyogre and Primal Groudon or actually completely destroys the Uber Tier like some might have expected (thanks god they didn't add more Speed or the Attack Boosts to its defenses instead).
(However, that all goes down when you look at Mega Rayquaza...well done, Game Freak.)

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
well i think kyogre just got fatter, and we all know what fat mons do: wall on the special side!
honestly it's not that primaogre is bad in itself, it's just that primadon and megaquaza are extremely common for completely different reasons, but just so happen to actually make life terrible for the whale, so i think it should go for specially defensive to provide a special backbone for balanced teams with the RestTalk set. It will pair well with physically defensive ferro, which can be a thing now(i think, do correct me). All in all, it's just that mon who isn't offensive enough for HO, which is what is spammed in the initial phase everytime. I expect to see it getting good again when the meta's settled.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, i would rather run regular kyogre over pryogre because you can spread rain to your teammates.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I think Primal Kyogre will hold up fine. One important aspect that I think is being overlooked is its ability to override Desolate Land. If you find an opening to send Primal Kyogre in on Primal Groudon, you can deal serious damage. Because PDon generally covers Kyogre so well, some people may not have the best backup answers if PDon no longer has the weather to stop it. Can also be used to check PDon in a pinch (try not to send it into PDon's Ground STAB...), as POgre is one of the few things in the game that can OHKO it.

With Delta Stream and Desolate Land running around (or even Primordial Sea), I have a feeling that regular Kyogre will also struggle making Drizzle actually stick around to be much use as a team supporter.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One thing I've noticed is that regular Kyogre really shouldn't carry Choice items at the moment. Being able to use Scarf Water Spout is great and all, but being forced to switch out of an inevitable PDon is not great. At least with non-choiced Kyogre, you can hit it with Ice Beam (or I guess HP Ground, I haven't used that yet tbh), and aren't forced to switch out immediately. And if this is the case, I think Primal Kyogre is better than Kyogre. Not only does it have the ability to override and OHKO both Don and Ray, but it's higher special attack and bulk make it better in non-choiced roles. I think Calm Mind 3 attacks is a really cool option, doing shit loads of damage to PDon with Ice Beam or HP Ground at +1, and taking virtually nothing from old Kyogre switch-ins like Palkia and Dialga. I haven't tried a RestTalk set yet, but I can see that having uses as well. Basically I think people are underestimating Primal Kyogre right now, and I also think it's better than normal Kyogre in most situations at the moment.

I think Primal Kyogre will hold up fine. One important aspect that I think is being overlooked is its ability to override Desolate Land. If you find an opening to send Primal Kyogre in on Primal Groudon, you can deal serious damage. Because PDon generally covers Kyogre so well, some people may not have the best backup answers if PDon no longer has the weather to stop it. Can also be used to check PDon in a pinch (try not to send it into PDon's Ground STAB...), as POgre is one of the few things in the game that can OHKO it.

With Delta Stream and Desolate Land running around (or even Primordial Sea), I have a feeling that regular Kyogre will also struggle making Drizzle actually stick around to be much use as a team supporter.
Second this. Just bait PDon to throw out a fire attack and switch in with the water immunity. With Desolate Land neutralized and the 4X weakness exposed PDon is forced to switch, which either allows you to buff with CM or murder the next switch with Origin Pulse/Water Spout.

P-Ogre has a pretty hard time dealing with Mega-Ray, who it doesn't even OHKO with Ice Beam unless SR is on the field. This is assuming Mega-Ray switches in. P-Ogre cannot force Mega-Ray out because even if you remove Delta Stream, Mega-Ray easily outspeeds and OHKOs with unboosted Dragon Ascent.

P-Ogre has a pretty hard time dealing with Mega-Ray, who it doesn't even OHKO with Ice Beam unless SR is on the field. This is assuming Mega-Ray switches in. P-Ogre cannot force Mega-Ray out because even if you remove Delta Stream, Mega-Ray easily outspeeds and OHKOs with unboosted Dragon Ascent.
Who doesn't have problems with Mega Ray...

Does Kyogre not have any attacks that can make use of that base 150 attack? Waterfall would be a good choice, and it can run EQ if you really want it to but outside those two I can't think of anything else.

Does Kyogre not have any attacks that can make use of that base 150 attack? Waterfall would be a good choice, and it can run EQ if you really want it to but outside those two I can't think of anything else.
If you really care, while they are not recommented:
Aqua Tail, Brick Break (lol), Avalanche, Iron Head, Rock Slide, Return/Frustration/Body Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)