Gen 6 Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire Mega Evo discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Any idea when we'll be getting preliminary viability rankings for the ORAS mons? OU already has an updated list.
Seeing as how Ou had an actual metagame for the last month or so and we only just discovered that mega Ray can hold an item a few days ago, it's far too early to make a preliminary tier list since w/e it might've been before gets absolutely shafted due to mega rayquaza being such a metagame defining threat

To be honest, I don't think Solar Beam has ever previously been one of Groudon's first choices for moves because it doesn't exactly hit anything notable that its Ground STAB or sun boosted Fire attacks couldn't otherwise nail, its usual switch-ins don't mind it, and there problems with using it if the sun is taken away. Dragon Claw and/or Stone Edge (also Hidden Power counting Gen 3 when it was introduced) hit most of its checks super effectively when they would otherwise resist Ground and/or Fire. Fast forward to now, Groudon gets a Primal form, thereby gaining STAB Fire moves in addition to the boost from sun, a new toy in Precipice Blades to play with, and its new ability lets it not fear its sun being taken away. But that doesn't exactly make Solar Beam viable because not much has changed in what switches best into Groudon. Its checks, which are often Ground immune, now get hit way harder by its newfound secondary Fire STAB, and Primal Groudon being Fire type means it can't be burned now, and burning used to be a strategy to neutralize Groudon before. Solar Beam is just a waste of a move slot that could be filled with a boosting move, status move, Stealth Rock, etc.

Rayquaza @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Air Lock (Delta Stream)
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Ascent
-Earthquake/fireblast
-ExtremeSpeed

Without Super effective moves its going to be impossible to 1hko Mega Rayquaza, Mega Salamence can't kill Rayquaza without a Dracometeor or a Outrage. While you set up Dragon Dance's, your opponent will be unable to tell if you are running Life Orb or Weakness Policy and in most cases will trigger your weakness policy. Dragon Dance is important for fast ghost types like Mega Gengar and Darkrai is still a thing. Earthquake is a strong coverage, but with weakness policy Fireblast can be run just as easily. Extreme speed because its extreme speed and priority is always good.

If you manage to set up stealth rocks and safely switch in Rayquaza, your opponent might as well just say GG.
I wonder if bulky distributions work better for weakness policy Mega Ray. Too lazy to run the numbers, but it might allow you to switch into a SE attack and trigger the stat buffs to get you going earlier. Alternatively it could help with survivability as you're buffing up. I suspect that you'd want to invest EVs in Sp Def, since nearly all its biggest threats would hit it on the special side.

Ubers has basically become:

Mega RayRay or: How I Learned to Stop Hating and Love the Borked

While it could be an interesting debate about which is more busted, Mega Ray or RBY Mewtwo, Its undeniable MRay and PDon is quite possibly the best core in pokemon history. you just need to dedicate your team to stopping MRay beyond those two...and watch em get shit on by PDon like all of Mega Rays shaky Checks in the game are. and then tear that PDon apart with your Mega Ray... it comes down to who can use their PDon to get MRay set up easier.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The lati's got their soul dew back, so I guess the mega lati's will see no use anymore now.
Is this confirmed? Because if so Latios and Latias become amazing offensive checks to Primal Groudon, resisting Fire Punch/Overheat/Lava Plume and being immune to Earthquake/Precipice Blades, and obviously check Kyogre as well.

Is this confirmed? Because if so Latios and Latias become amazing offensive checks to Primal Groudon, resisting Fire Punch/Overheat/Lava Plume and being immune to Earthquake/Precipice Blades, and obviously check Kyogre as well.
yeah serebii confirmed that after you catch the eon ticket latias/latios a soul dew will appear on the ground

So i can see this negating Mega Latios but i doubt it will Mega Latias much just cause of the lesser knock off and increased physical bulk.

Then again ive never used either with the soul dew so i really couldnt say.

So i can see this negating Mega Latios but i doubt it will Mega Latias much just cause of the lesser knock off and increased physical bulk.

Then again ive never used either with the soul dew so i really couldnt say.
Soul Dew brings so much more Special Power and Bulk that trust me, You will not be using Mega Lati@S ever again.

Not that you would anyway with things Like Mega Gar existing.

And....well Ya know, Mega Borkedquaza

Soul Dew brings so much more Special Power and Bulk that trust me, You will not be using Mega Lati@S ever again.

Not that you would anyway with things Like Mega Gar existing.

And....well Ya know, Mega Borkedquaza
Yah i also sorta realized i posted in wrong tiers mindset. Just shows how Primal Don will be forced with Dragon Coverage. Gonna be silly fun and annoying though but ah well thank ya course.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah the opportunity cost of using Mega Latias over Soul Dew Latias is much too high. The added Physical Bulk is nice as is the lowered BP of Knock Off, but few things in Ubers actually carry Knock Off aside from Deoxys and I suppose Yveltal now, neither of which are Pokemon you should keep Latias in on anyway. I'm very excited about using Soul Dew Lati@s in the current meta though, I think they will be welcome additions. Anything that can check Groudon is certainly helpful to say the least. It having Dragon Claw and Thunder Wave makes them not the best checks in the world, but Latios in particular will be packing an enormous punch that will fit right in with the offensive meta we have at the moment.

Since Groudon REALLY doesn't want to pack that Dragon Coverage, i'd say we just need to add one more mon to the "Will be standard for all time." Core of PDon and Rayquaza. Bulky Yveltal Maybe? i dunno how much its gonna like a Draco but it'll obliterate a Lati@s with Knock off, and kill it dead with Sucker Punch. Xern could be helpful too, taking a Draco well. Also POgres titanic special bulk could be put to good use, if its not nailed with Psyshock.

Or Groudon can just run some Dragon coverage after all in order to nail RayRay too........

I dunno theorymoning here. i see Lati@s putting a bit more pressure on PDon, but not hindering it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)