Maractus (QC: 0/3)

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Explain Maractus's (small) niches in Overview. Don't just tell me it's outclassed by Cacturne, tell me why, and explain what it has to differentiate itself.

Mismagius and Qwilfish are much more relevant Taunt users in C&C

Remove Hariyama. It's fine as a Fake Out user, but Maractus still gets up one layer against it since it outspeeds so there's no point in mentioning it.

Also you still mention Skuntank as a Defogger

And again, list some more partners that like Spikes support

Edited with Dat Blast's advice. My examples for Pokemon that enjoy Spikes are Feraligatr still, Magmotar, and Primeape. Please feel free to suggest others.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey - I dont have much experience with Maractus, but I'd just like to point out a few things. Not QC, just giving my 2 cents.
First off, the formatting of the set is a bit off, but thats understandable for your first time.
What you have should look like this:

Spikes
########
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Petal Blizzard / Endeavor
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Sucker Punch / Endeavor
ability: Water Absorb
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

In the overview, you should note other spikes users that outclass maractus, as cacturne is more commonly seen as a swords dance user. Garbodor, Qwilfish, Crustle, and Accelgor are good examples to use. I know that its true and all, but saying a Pokemon is adorable is just fluff and shouldnt be in the overview.

When describing moves, dont say that it is why it has a niche over another Pokemon, say something like "Knock Off is a good utility move that cripples defensive Pokemon by removing their item." Same goes for the other sentences in other places comparing stuff to Cacturne, the analysis is supposed to be about that Pokemon, not comparing it to others. You can certainly mention other Pokemon that have the same role, but it shouldnt be that prevalent.

Bastiodon is a bad example of a taunt user, replace it with Mismagius like Dat Blast said. I dont honestly think its relevant enough to have a mention, as its pretty much the only pokemon that uses Magic Coat.

In addition, checks and counters should be formatted like this:

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Qwilfish and Mismagius can prevent Maractus from setting up Spikes, but Mismagius doesnt appreciate Knock Off.

Damage calcs are also fluff and should be removed, there is no need to mention it in an analysis.

Hey - I dont have much experience with Maractus, but I'd just like to point out a few things. Not QC, just giving my 2 cents.
First off, the formatting of the set is a bit off, but thats understandable for your first time.
What you have should look like this:

Spikes
########
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Petal Blizzard / Endeavor
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Sucker Punch / Endeavor
ability: Water Absorb
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

In the overview, you should note other spikes users that outclass maractus, as cacturne is more commonly seen as a swords dance user. Garbodor, Qwilfish, Crustle, and Accelgor are good examples to use. I know that its true and all, but saying a Pokemon is adorable is just fluff and shouldnt be in the overview.

When describing moves, dont say that it is why it has a niche over another Pokemon, say something like "Knock Off is a good utility move that cripples defensive Pokemon by removing their item." Same goes for the other sentences in other places comparing stuff to Cacturne, the analysis is supposed to be about that Pokemon, not comparing it to others. You can certainly mention other Pokemon that have the same role, but it shouldnt be that prevalent.

Bastiodon is a bad example of a taunt user, replace it with Mismagius like Dat Blast said. I dont honestly think its relevant enough to have a mention, as its pretty much the only pokemon that uses Magic Coat.

In addition, checks and counters should be formatted like this:

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Qwilfish and Mismagius can prevent Maractus from setting up Spikes, but Mismagius doesnt appreciate Knock Off.

Damage calcs are also fluff and should be removed, there is no need to mention it in an analysis.
Thanks for the help! I think the only format difference I had was the number of pound symbols and the capitalization of some words yeah? Also, I tried following the format of other analysis I see but I didn't think everything had to be that exact! XD Anyway, thanks again and keep these suggestions and QCs coming folks!

So, while looking at ORAS's updated learnsets I saw that Maractus can now learn Spiky Shield. Should I change anything? What about any new moves it learns?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So, while looking at ORAS's updated learnsets I saw that Maractus can now learn Spiky Shield. Should I change anything? What about any new moves it learns?
Don't change anything for now, just keep it in XY moveset format. QC will make an announcement for things to be updated at some point when the meta has settled.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO slash Bullet Seed in with Petal Blizzard, if you don't remove Petal Blizzard all together. As Maractus is exclusively a lead, it wants to be able to beat Sturdy leads like Golem and Crustle, as well as hit through Focus Sashes. If it were to be used in a more offensive role, Petal Blizzard would be a good idea. However, it is exclusively a lead, so Petal Blizzard is a poor choice.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Golem is rare and Crustle will not be ohkoed by Bullet Seed. In fact, you have a very good chance of not even getting to 3HKO a no-HP invested Crustle with Bullet Seed.

252+ Atk Maractus Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crustle: 84-102 (29.8 - 36.2%) -- approx. 32.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Maractus Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Crustle: 84-102 (24.4 - 29.6%) -- approx. 100% chance to 4HKO

If you don't get lucky, you will probably get a 4HKO. Petal Blizzard is a nearly guaranteed 3HKO on 0 HP Crustle, and does more consistent damage overall. Bullet Seed leads were mainly for Sash Omastar, and that's why no one uses Bullet Seed leads anymore. If anything Grass Knot should get a bigger mention, 2HKOing Mega Steelix and stuff. Stronger Sucker Punch / Knock Off is a thing I suppose but it's not like you're 2hkoing anyone with Knock Off anyways.

tehy

Banned deucer.
i prefer Energy Ball tbh. Watch this:

68 SpA Maractus Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash: 354-416 (100 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(354, 356, 360, 366, 368, 374, 378, 380, 386, 390, 396, 398, 402, 408, 410, 416)

Fun times (max SpA gk won't do that.) Even though you can just about always scrape together a 2hko on slash, one-shotting as many spinners as possible is helpful, especially for a sash lead weak to u-turn (i.e. uturn down to sash over to slash spin Koes while clearing hazard.)

As a result i'd say 68 SpA Energy Ball's worth considering quite strongly (shoutout to qc here, is this worth it?)

other calcs of gr8 relevancy

68 SpA Maractus Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Seismitoad: 376-448 (90.8 - 108.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

GK will never KO SpDtoad with same investment. Obviously phys D toad is no problemo.

68 SpA Maractus Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Crustle: 153-181 (54.4 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(153, 156, 157, 159, 160, 162, 165, 166, 168, 169, 171, 174, 175, 177, 178, 181)

GK never OHKOes either.

there is max SpD Rhydon and max SpD Regirock; GK helps for them, not sure how relevant either is.(Regirock isn't oneshotted by GK since sturdy but wouldn't be anyhow, eball always 2shots. 252 hp rhydon has no chance of taking either.)

What I've gathered from the last 3 replies is that I will add energy ball to other options and maybe slash grass knot with petal blizzard. Any objections?

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Reject 3/3

Apologies for the wasted time on this Nockon , but you can feel free to reserve something else if you wish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)