Gen 6 Latias

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Going to be approved by Sweep
Type: Dragon/Psychic
Stats: 80Hp/80atk/90def/110SpA/130SpD/110Spe

Ability: Levitate: Gives full immunity to all Ground-type moves.

Notable Moves:
Healing Wish
Dragon Pulse
Safeguard
Recover/Roost
Psychic
Psyshock
Draco Meteor
Calm Mind
Defog
Roar
Light Screen
Reflect
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Substitute

Overview:
After being left unviable in XY ubers due to lack of soul dew, with the release of the eon ticket in japan, Latias finally gets access to its beloved item again. Soul dew gives latias 1.5x SpA/SpD essentially giving it a free calm mind boost right off the bat. This allows Latias to retain its former glory as the premier kyogre check. In addition, it also gets nifty moves like defog and healing wish alongside an excellent defensive typing in dragon/psychic while boasting levitate which gives it immunity to ground type moves that would otherwise trouble it. Now being able to hit like a truck and having godlike special defense, the jet plane is back to wreck havoc on the tier.

Potential Movesets

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 164 HP / 148 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Fire

Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Grass Knot
- Defog

Last edited:

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
what have i missed with dragon breath Haruno
I don't get this either, just about everything you want Paralyzed won't be coming in on Latias anyways (or Latios for that matter).
Mega Ray or Ray: Gets flattened by stronger Dragon move if it tries to come in.
Groudon and Primal Groudon: also pretty much flattened on the switch by a stronger Dragon move.
Primal Kyogre: you still beat this.
Xerneas: immune
Other Latis: Flattened by stronger Dragon move.
etc
Edit: Calm Mind Draco Meteor was also quite nice in BW, it will probably work again this gen.

Last edited:
Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Fire

Latias @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Grass Knot
- Defog
First a question, why the 196 Speed for Latias?
Also shouldn't be at least one of those spreads be 192 or 200 speed because of the 30 Ivs in speed HP Fire causes?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You could probably drop the speed down to 176 for all of those sets (apart from the HP Fire one which you'll drop to 180) since Garchomp is virtually non-existant

I guess it depends how important the speed tie is with opposing max speed Lati@s? Do the extra HP EVs prevent any noticeable OHKO or 2HKOs?

I am actually wondering why Ubers run both Latis with the same sets?
Sure base 110 SpA is high aspecially with Soul Dew, but why wouldn't you put more bulk on Latias or just use Latios directly over it?
Not to mention Healing Wish is such an awesome move and nobody seems to care here.

I am actually wondering why Ubers run both Latis with the same sets?
Sure base 110 SpA is high aspecially with Soul Dew, but why wouldn't you put more bulk on Latias or just use Latios directly over it?
Not to mention Healing Wish is such an awesome move and nobody seems to care here.
I was wondering this as well. What's the point if a Latios running the same sets is pretty much strictly better? Wouldn't some sort of support role be better for Latias?

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On offensive teams, Latias should always be using Healing Wish IMO, otherwise ofc you would just use Latios--it hits harder. On offensive you don't need really solid checks to things, you just need to be able to live. Both Latis can live, being 3HKOed by POgre's max SpA Origin Pulse for example. The decision of which Lati to run, therefore, is whether you prefer having Healing Wish and bulkier offense (preference and dependent somewhat a number of things. A bit the meta, a bit your playstyle, etc. For example, just because you have Healing Wish doesn't mean you can follow a formula to use it every game. It won't always be like: spam DA with Mega Ray until weak, switch in to Latias, Healing Wish Mega Ray back. There are obviously complications in between, like can you actually safely bring Latias in, or can you even switch out Mega Ray without your team taking a bunch of damage), or more power.

On defensive teams you generally don't need Healing Wish since you don't want to sack a member of your core usually, and your mons will have their own healing. Latias is of course more defensive, but I think it still comes down to preference since some people still like a little more power. I don't really play with defensive teams though, so I don't have much insight into which Lati to use.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
I was wondering this as well. What's the point if a Latios running the same sets is pretty much strictly better? Wouldn't some sort of support role be better for Latias?
Latias can switch into PDon's Dclaw, that's what I've found to be a defining trait as of late. She nukes hard and steals momentum with its fantastic bulk+Defog, and that's something Latios just can't do because how limited his switch-in opportunities are.

On offensive teams, Latias should always be using Healing Wish IMO, otherwise ofc you would just use Latios--it hits harder. On offensive you don't need really solid checks to things, you just need to be able to live. Both Latis can live, being 3HKOed by POgre's max SpA Origin Pulse for example. The decision of which Lati to run, therefore, is whether you prefer having Healing Wish and bulkier offense (preference and dependent somewhat a number of things. A bit the meta, a bit your playstyle, etc. For example, just because you have Healing Wish doesn't mean you can follow a formula to use it every game. It won't always be like: spam DA with Mega Ray until weak, switch in to Latias, Healing Wish Mega Ray back. There are obviously complications in between, like can you actually safely bring Latias in, or can you even switch out Mega Ray without your team taking a bunch of damage), or more power.
Latias definitely serves roles on offense, and there really isn't much room in it's movesets to carry Healing Wish. It needs DM, Grass Knot, and Roost for many reasons, and ofc Defog for reasons stated above. I'm sure Ray+Healing Wish is great, but Latias really isn't the ideal user of it. Something such as Jirachi would perform that role better since it synergizes so well with Ray.

But all in all, I see much more potential for Latias than I do for Latios; it's so stupidly splashable on offense and completely destroys Sticky Web teams since it literally craps on SD PDon and POgre, two very common pokemon on Web teams. I concede to the fact Latios is much stronger, but this meta is really lacking in bulky pivots, and Latias is undoubtedly the best one.

Last edited:

On defensive teams you generally don't need Healing Wish since you don't want to sack a member of your core usually, and your mons will have their own healing. Latias is of course more defensive, but I think it still comes down to preference since some people still like a little more power. I don't really play with defensive teams though, so I don't have much insight into which Lati to use.
There are plenty of offensive teams where healing wish's support doesn't outweigh the wallbreaking power of CM+draco nor the consistent defog support (which is amazing for any team). Yeah, you can use Latios for more power in both cases but it doesn't necessery mean that Latias's bulk is something look down upon, even for offense.

All the sets in the OP are iffy, CM+dragon pulse is pathetic weak, all out should definitely use healing wish at most times (no reason running roost+3 when you can run cm+draco+roost). Best set is imo defog, which capitalizes on both its bulk and power in a way latios can't.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
252 SpA Soul Dew Latias Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 156-184 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 42.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Soul Dew Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 190-225 (55.7 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Psyshock is way better than Grass Knot imo.

That being said Latias is great, its fast, has Defog + Healing Wish to make it a great offensive team supporter, and checks Primal Kyogre/softchecks Primal Groudon. A Kyogre check that can Defog and isn't Arceus is great for Ho-Oh teams as well. I'm glad Soul Dew is back. :]

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
252 SpA Soul Dew Latias Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 156-184 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 42.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Soul Dew Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 190-225 (55.7 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Psyshock is way better than Grass Knot imo.

That being said Latias is great, its fast, has Defog + Healing Wish to make it a great offensive team supporter, and checks Primal Kyogre/softchecks Primal Groudon. A Kyogre check that can Defog and isn't Arceus is great for Ho-Oh teams as well. I'm glad Soul Dew is back. :]
I personally use GK only to do good damage on PDon w/o dumping Latias' SpA using Draco Meteor.

Put Psyshock over Grass Knot in both the All Out Attacker set and the Support one please. Eventually slash Grass Knot as a second option, it's a worse move in most cases but it's extremely useful against Arceus Ground and Rock which are rising in popularity so I'd give it at least a mention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)