EXCADRILL (QC 2/3) Write up sooooon

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE SEE THE INVISIBLE
Re-Writing this because the old one was dumb.
Overview
########
Excadrill packs a great Attack stat and a decent Speed stat. These are complimented by too fantastic abilities in Sand Rush and Mold Breaker. With Sand Rush, Excadrill becomes a fearsome sand sweeper that can clean up lategame or punch holes early on. Mold Breaker allows Excadrill to beat traditional counters such as Rotom-W and also hit Pokemon such as Latios which would usually be able to switch into Excadrill with ease. Thanks to its typing, Excadrill finds itself with numerous useful resists as well as an immunity to Thunder Wave and a STAB-boosted Earthquake. However, the typing also leaves Excadrill weak to bulky Water-type Pokemon and the Rain archetype in general. Excadrill is also prone to Intimidate and burns and often struggles with common Pokemon such as Landorus-T.

Mold Breaker
########
name: Mold Breaker
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Drill Run
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • EQ drops it like it's hot
  • Rock Slide hits flying-types that are immune to EQ
  • Iron Head is single target STAB move that drops fairies
  • Drill Run doesn't fuck your own mon but fucks one of theirs
  • Iron Head / Drill run bypass Wide Guard
Set Details
========
  • Scarf because gtg fast
  • Adamant because gtg hard
  • Max Spe / Atk to compliment role
  • Non scarf is viable, switch Drill Run for protect
  • Mold Breaker is gr8 to expand Excas ground coverage. Brings down washtom etc
Usage Tips
========
  • Use to clear out Rotom-W / Ground weak mons to sweep with another mon later
  • Revenge kill slower threats
  • Clean up lategame
  • Watch out for Wide Guard
Team Options
========
  • Flying-type Pokemon are immune to Excadrills EQ
  • M Pinsir is nice because Feint to break wide guard, also good vs Fighting-types that Exca hates
  • Shaymin-S helps w/ bulky waters
  • Talonburd slams Grass-types
  • Gyarados can set up some DDs while Exca does some plowing
  • CHAR Y, Immune to EQ, doesn't afraid of anything
  • Lando-T slayers like scarf gene are neat
  • Wide Guard support protects partner from excas EQ and from opposing EQ

Sand Rush
########
name: Sand Rush
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Iron Head / Swords Dance
move 4: Protect
ability: Sand Rush
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • EQ is a spam-able STAB spread move that dishes out tha damage
  • Rock Slide dunks standard Flying-type / Levitate switchins, also carries a tasty flinch chance
  • Iron Head is an alternative STAB move that provides coverage against Fairy-type Pokemon and dealing more damage to Leviate users such as Latios than Rock Slide.
  • Swords Dance is for the BOOSTO and lets you deal with Intimidate and sweep.
Set Details
========
  • Max Spe so you're fast even out of sand
  • LO for extra damage
  • Sash makes it easier to SD
  • 200 Spe beats Gyarados outside of sand and Jolly Scarf Terrakion in sand. Lets you invest more in HP too n_n
  • Can use Drill Run but EQ is a big draw to the set
Usage Tips
========
  • Try to remove Pokemon with Intimidate so that Exca can plow through easily
  • Be wary of Wide Guard
  • Clear out Flying-types before attempting tha sweep
  • Try to bring it in with lots of sand turns left
Team Options
========
  • TTar for sand, Mega TTar is particularly for weather wars
  • Togekiss redirects Fighting-type attacks, also provides good HH support.
  • MGar traps Intimidate mons and weather setters
  • Wide Guard support protects from Heat Wave / EQ
  • Rotom-W or Skymin help w/ bulky Water-types and are immune to Excas EQ
  • Thund / Thund-T take out Toed / Zard

Other Options
########
  • MAGNET RISE
  • SR
  • Sub
  • Sandstorm
  • X-Scissor hits Cresselia
  • Lum lets you absorb brn

Checks & Counters
########
  • Intim + burns
  • Lando-T
  • Fighting-types - MACHUUUUU PAUNCHUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
  • Other weather
  • bulky waters
  • Char Y
  • Wide Guard
  • SPEED CONTROLUUUUUUU, especially TR

Last edited:
It is a STAB that bypasses wide guard, smashes Rotom-w. Hits harder to one poke than spread eq. And there isn't much more exca can run in a fourth slot on a choice set

Overview:
  • Nice typing cause STAB Earthquake and TWave immune.
First Set:

Team Options:
  • Thundurus and Thundurus-I can take out Zard Y and Politoed.
  • I would add that Mega Tyranitar will make it easier to win weather wars.
Second Set:

Team Options:
  • Stuff to kill Lando-T cause it is a big cunt to this set.
Other Options:
  • Stone Edge for more powah.
Checks & Counters:
  • Specify Mach Punch
  • Trick Room
2ez 2ez

Add actual details to each laZ bullet and QC 1/3

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
The better set is definitely mold breaker, and im not sure how i feel about having no mb+protect set

Thoughts, qc?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The better set is definitely mold breaker, and im not sure how i feel about having no mb+protect set

Thoughts, qc?
This is one of those sets that I don't mind if it's in or not, and I'm happy for Totem to make the decision. It's useful and viable but overrated.

From an effectiveness point of view, I prefer the other sets. Mold Breaker Scarf is not reliant on support but you have a limited choice of teammates (must have Flying-type, not even Telepathy stops MB). Sand Rush needs support (Tyranitar) but is very threatening with adequate support. Mold Breaker with Protect is both reliant on support and requires a limited choice of teammates. It needs speed support, as otherwise it's weaknesses let it down too easily. It is also easier to fit Lando-T and Garchomp on the team. In fact, you could probably just replace Excadrill with either of those two on a team with Mold Breaker Excadrill - they have better bulk, fewer weaknesses, Intimidate and Speed respectively, and due to all of this are less reliant on support. Of course you can't deny Excadrill's benefits, Steel-typing means no Ice-weakness, many switch-in opportunities, Fairy-type resist (can take a Syvleon Hyper Voice), the option to Drill Run, and shits on Rotom-W and Cress. On that last point. the benefit of Mold Breaker is somewhat limited. Rotom-W and Cress are big, and the other major Pokemon are Latios and Gengar but speed control is helpful to not have Excadrill - Latios can use LO HP Ground and Gengar burns you (though even a burnt EQ. Other Pokemon that Mold Breaker helps against are Gengar (burns you) aren't common (Hydreigon, Latias), are bad (Dragonite), or the rare Skill Swap + Levitate combo. Mold Breaker also gives off a warning message, so the opponent will know what's coming, nor does it help against the extremely common Landoge.

From a usage May's 1760 stats, about 11% of Excadrill run Mold Breaker without Scarf (Mold Breaker was used 76% of the time, but 65% of Excadrill were using Scarf), so it's less common than the other sets

If Totem doesn't want to write it up, then it must get OO mention though, preferably 1st mention

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think the easiest way to do this is just to mention non scarf MB in set details for Exca and just say use Protect over Drill Run or w/e. Since Scarf MB is clearly the most used variant that should be the set imo.
I'm also happy to change the order of the sets if you think that is appropriate, both are pretty evenly matched either way.

That sound OK Darkmalice Pwnemon

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
-it doesn't actually have many weaknesses, the issue is that said weaknesses are very common
-it's easily worn down due to its weaknesses

Mold Breaker
-mention benefits of mold breaker in set comments - grant ground stab greater coverage and beat pokemon who otherwise fair well against exca like rotom-w
-mention drill run and iron head can bypass wide guard
-wide guard support for excadrill is good

Sand Rush
-AC mention of 200 Spe if want a little extra bulk whilst still being able to outspeed Gyarados outside of sand and Jolly Scarf Terrakion (I was aiming for base 80s as a benchmark, but I figured these are so close you may as well outspeed them too). Lose against other Excadrill in sand
-AC Drill run, but mention that fast EQ is a big draw to the set
-togekiss can also provide helping hand support whilst being immune to EQ

OO
-X-scissor for Cress
-Lum. Should be mentioned given that you've mentioned burn as a big threat

Checks and counters
-When writing up checks and counters, name specific examples for what you've mentioned e.g. which Fighting-types, and more particular mention to those that stand out. I'm fairly sure you're just waiting for this to be written up (same can be applied to most of the analysis as well, but fortunately I know that you know your stuff so I trust that you will flesh it out when writing this). On that note, also mention which checks and counters fail to each set e.g rotom-w against sand rush but not mold breaker

QC 2/3

BLOOD TOTEM I know you dropped this, but I give you permission to just write out your bullets into complete sentences and send it to GP. This will save you some time, but if you still don't want to do it, let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)