Gen 6 Mega Rayquaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats nice.

I think my Lugia is switching Aeroblast for Ice Beam.

Also can someone show me where i can have a Damage Calc for ORAS?
There isn't an updated one yet, but you can manually adjust the stats and moves to mimic the new additions. The main calculator should be back online.

EmblemLord it's clear from the calcs that there is some degree of redundancy in the number of SpA EVs - let's not forget that if Ray has to use VCreate, it's dropping its defenses; even if it doesn't use VCreate and uses something like ESpeed first to break the balloon (if it's somehow surviving the Moonblast in return), it's taking LO recoil. So shifting some SpA EVs to Def would solve the "OHKOed after SR" issue.

However ...

I tried and tried to make Air Balloon or at worst Shuca Berry [something] work. The problem is that you fold to all-out attacker sets. If Ray is using 4 attacks, then unless you manage to switch into Earthquake, you are dying next turn to that move. Not good.

For the record here's the best partial check I could come up with:

Rhyperior @ Shuca Berry
252 HP 252 Def Impish
Earthquake
Ice Punch / Stone Edge
Something
Something

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 357-421 (82.2 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuca Berry Solid Rock Rhyperior: 178-211 (41 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 213-252 (49 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 95-112 (21.8 - 25.8%) -- 2.4% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 216-256 (61.5 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 146-172 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

VCreate is functionally equivalent to Dragon Ascent and Ice Punch has same BP vs Ray as Stone Edge. So: bring Rhyperior in as Ray SDs, eat the VCreate / Dragon Ascent / Earthquake, and then you get to hit it back ... but so what? If it attacks with VCreate or Dragon Ascent Rhyperior can OHKO back after SR + LO recoil, but if it uses EQ twice (or Espeed followed by EQ against Balloon Rhyperior) Rhyperior can't OHKO back against the 0/0 Ray. In the same way Regirock can survive a hit from +2 LO Ray with Shuca Berry, but can't OHKO back. At least Regirock learns Thunder Wave. Not much of an achievement, and maybe something like "I'll Thunder Wave you with my Shuca Regirock, switch to Yveltal to take your EQ (I hope to God you don't suddenly decide to use VCreate, or my Yveltal's dead) and then outspeed, live the ESpeed and KO with Foul Play" will work, but to take so much damage answering this one sweeper is not very reassuring.

EDIT: That said, Ray can't run everything, and there should be counters (not just checks) to some of its individual sets, e.g. physically defensive Skarmory walls SD Ray with ESpeed DA EQ, and if SD Ray drops EQ for VCreate, it would be walled by e.g. Rock Arceus.
Isn't dragon ascent 120BP? Skarmory has no hope of walling SD mega ray.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Aerial Ace (120BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 203-239 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Skarmory can only "check" SD variant by tanking a hit and then phazing it out. But this doesn't threaten Mega-Ray at all, and it can just set up again later.

Isn't dragon ascent 120BP? Skarmory has no hope of walling SD mega ray.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Aerial Ace (120BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 203-239 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
Yes but taking a hit and phazing is "good enough". Switch in and set up opportunities are not free, and Ray cannot "just set up again later" because it must still be able to switch in (potentially taking SR damage in addition to attack damage) AND then live a hit from whichever Pokemon is already in. If Ray is sufficiently worn down that whichever Pokemon it switches into is threatening to OHKO, it won't be able to "just set up again". In the same way Lugia countered XY EKiller, not because it can OHKO back, but because it can phaze it out.

Last edited:
Who said it would be switching in? It could easily come in after something else has been KO'd and set up. Hell it might not even need to set up because it just wrecks everything by default for fun. If rocks are up it doesn't even need to boost to finish skarm off provided you haven't gotten the opportunity to roost.
The point is you said skarm walls the SD variant when it can't even avoid the 2HKO from a resisted hit. Phazing it out when it just destroyed you with a resisted hit is not good enough. It's a pathetic way of dealing with something that will just cause you the same amount of trouble the next time it comes in, except this time you won't be able to switch skarm in. God help you if this absolute behemoth is carrying V create. Physical walls really can't hope to stop it.

So, Game freak thought Dragons were overpowered and created fairy.... just to give rayquaza an overpowered mega evo that doesnt need a mega stone so it can hold another item. Fairys are now merciless murdered without being a threat. They could just make Dragon ascent a Dragon type move, so fairys could switch on it. Togekiss would be the ultimate weapon against double dance + dragon ascent + earthquake. Unfortunatly, theyve made dragon ascent a flying type move, the best ofensive type now. But, well, something like air baloon magnet rise probopass can wall and paralise ray, if its only running dragon ascent + earthquake + ESpeed . If it gives up on ESpeed for , say, V-create, life orb ice shard mamoswine can defeat it. .. but enemy can just switch mega ray. Froslass can switch into Espeed and paralise or ice beam it. If you keep stealthe rock out of field, you can use a lv 1 aron. It can be a revenge killer. Turn 1 ray atacks, endeavor. Turn 2 ray attacks, toxic . If enemy switches to anything not ghost , it will be with 12hp left. Well, ray is not unbeatable, or lucky based. Yeah, It might reach near 100% usage. I rarely play ubers, but I would play it even if its in all teams. Now, lets wait for DP remakes, in wich primal arceus will be introduced if an ability called omnipotent, wich makes arceus imune to all moves not fired for another primal arceus , and any move from arceus will KO any pokemon thats not a primal arceus. Then, a arceus tier might be created.

Who said it would be switching in? It could easily come in after something else has been KO'd and set up. Hell it might not even need to set up because it just wrecks everything by default for fun. If rocks are up it doesn't even need to boost to finish skarm off provided you haven't gotten the opportunity to roost.
The point is you said skarm walls the SD variant when it can't even avoid the 2HKO from a resisted hit. Phazing it out when it just destroyed you with a resisted hit is not good enough. It's a pathetic way of dealing with something that will just cause you the same amount of trouble the next time it comes in, except this time you won't be able to switch skarm in. God help you if this absolute behemoth is carrying V create. Physical walls really can't hope to stop it.
If Ray comes in after something else has been KOed you're up a Pokemon and can fodder something to bring in e.g. EKiller to revenge without going down a Pokemon. Obviously the second time Ray comes in Skarmory won't be able to handle it anymore unless it's managed to Roost, but because Ray shouldn't be able to come in for free / set up for free it will be at lower HP and therefore within KO range of stuff that would not otherwise be able to KO. If it's carrying VCreate and SD then chances are it won't have EQ when Pokemon like the Diancie above survive a hit and OHKO back (they won't need Balloon).

If you assume that each time Ray comes in it has 100% HP AND it comes in on a Pokemon that can't threaten it and so get a free SD because the opponent is forced to switch out AND it is able to do this twice in a match, then you can't counter it with Skarmory. But in practice that doesn't happen. Like I said: in XY Ubers Lugia is a great counter to EKiller even if the only thing it can do is phaze it out.

If Ray comes in after something else has been KOed you're up a Pokemon and can fodder something to bring in e.g. EKiller to revenge without going down a Pokemon. Obviously the second time Ray comes in Skarmory won't be able to handle it anymore unless it's managed to Roost, but because Ray shouldn't be able to come in for free / set up for free it will be at lower HP and therefore within KO range of stuff that would not otherwise be able to KO. If it's carrying VCreate and SD then chances are it won't have EQ when Pokemon like the Diancie above survive a hit and OHKO back (they won't need Balloon).

If you assume that each time Ray comes in it has 100% HP AND it comes in on a Pokemon that can't threaten it and so get a free SD because the opponent is forced to switch out AND it is able to do this twice in a match, then you can't counter it with Skarmory. But in practice that doesn't happen. Like I said: in XY Ubers Lugia is a great counter to EKiller even if the only thing it can do is phaze it out.
1. Learn what a counter is
2. Lugia was able to check more than just 1 mon without being to weak to do anything else since it can run speed evs to allow for a faster roost. You cannot compare them, and if you are not comparing them do not bring lugia up.
3. Lugia can actually damage and phaze.
4. As long as ray weakens your best answer to it when unboosted its fine.
I am on a phone, sorry if any confusion in what I typed

I don't know what you're trying to prove anymore. You're dancing around the fact that you said skarmory walls sets lacking V create when it doesn't. You don't wall this thing, simple as that.
Oh and as mentioned above, learn the definition of a counter. Skarmory does not counter mega Rayquaza. All it does is pathetically push it away while taking massive damage in the process meaning it can do this once max, and on top of that it's extremely passive.

The fact of the matter is that mega Ray will single handedly ruin any fun the tier has going for it. As time goes on this monster could feasibly have 100% usage (or extremely close to that) and games will be reduced to mega Ray vs mega Ray. Such a shame too considering Ubers used to be one of the most fun tiers.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would like to know if ray is weak to stealth rock, its not a damaging move, its a hazard.
It's weak to Stealth Rock because the weather effect doesn't come out until after hazards damage. However, I believe that other flying types switching in while Delta Stream is active will take only 12.5%. For example, an Yveltal switching in on Mega Rayquaza will only take 12.5% from Stealth Rock so long as Delta Stream has activated. I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

hello, i came here to lol at the comments, and ask if there is a poll of any kinda out yet so i can see what a big group of people think about Mega ray being banned from even the banned list/ubers

hello, i came here to lol at the comments, and ask if there is a poll of any kinda out yet so i can see what a big group of people think about Mega ray being banned from even the banned list/ubers
I'm sorry, but this isnt the place to talk about suspect tests or bans. This is also enforced with the fact that suspect tests are abolished. Also, this kind of mentality was common when GeoXern was introduced. I remember it like it was yesterday.

"We should move Yveltal to OU because it loses to Xerneas."
"All teh dargons r bed nao."

Good times...

Like so many people have already said about your use of the work counter...

Mega Ray is too overpowered for any one Pokemon to be able to counter. It's as simple as that. And you think SKARMORY of all Pokemon could hope to counter it? I don't know what you're smoking, but I might want some of that stuff one of these days.

im thinking that skarmory could run counter in order to beat M-Ray 1 v 1. if skarmory comes in when it sds, it could just use counter as ray attacks and OHKO it.

im thinking that skarmory could run counter in order to beat M-Ray 1 v 1. if skarmory comes in when it sds, it could just use counter as ray attacks and OHKO it.
That would require it to be able to survive a hit from a move, which would be extremely difficult with Mega Ray at +2. Especially Dragon Ascent, one of the hardest-hitting moves in the entire game.

It can definitely survive +2 Dragon Ascent. The problem is that it dies to any variant that carries V-Create or Fire Blast. Mega-Ray can also run Mixed to nail any physical wall that attempts to switch in. This thing has incredible versatility, and anything that kind of checks one build falls to the other.

That would require it to be able to survive a hit from a move, which would be extremely difficult with Mega Ray at +2. Especially Dragon Ascent, one of the hardest-hitting moves in the entire game.
it lives any move by default due to sturdy. +2 dragon ascent doesnt even OHKO after rocks.

Are there any notable OHKOs /2HKOs for Dragon Ascent or any other moves if Rayquaza holds CB over LO?
Or are there significant benefits if I were to pick CB over LO or Adamant over Jolly?

Last edited:
jelome1989 If you were to go CB Jolly > LO Jolly:

252 Atk Choice Band Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 322-379 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

instead of

252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 278-329 (72.7 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 379-447 (90.4 - 106.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

instead of

252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Brave Bird vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 329-387 (78.5 - 92.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

so w/ CB Arc has only a 25% chance to live (after SR) while Xern just gets flat-out annihilated

TBH you wouldn't really want to go Adamant > Jolly, as you give up a lot of a speed and while the power is nice, things are able to revenge you way more easily (and your opponent can tell if you're Adamant w/ the damage calc and your damage output)

oh and JSteele if you still need it (no one answered you rip):

https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

you can just replace the base stats w/ the new mega

In theory Skarm is a decent check to any variant lacking a fire coverage move (I also agree with using Counter), so pair it with Lugia to tackle mixed variants and you have a decent tandem to not insta-lose to MRay.

In practice I've found they're less than reliable- you can't really afford to scout for that fire coverage because that means allowing more turns for MRay to lay down some hurt. More importantly though, is that that pair isn't doing a whole load to MRay (unless you nail it with Counter, but that's far from reliable imo), which means that it'll be free to come back in later and start smashing you again, at which point you come to appreciate that Skarm only checks specific sets and otherwise doesn't find a lot of opportunities to heal itself (It's overall kinda garbage lol), and heaps of things need to go right for Lugia to be effective (No prior damage, no SR).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)