PU Chatot

Overview
########

Chatot has access to STAB Boomburst and Chatter; the latter gives it a 100% chance to confuse the target, which is a niche. It has a nice Special Attack stat and ordinary base Speed for the metagame. Against slower teams it could be threatening, such as stall teams without Bastiodon. Unfortunately, Chatot is a very frail attacker due to its low defensive stats coupled with its weakness to Stealth Rock, and it is outsped by common Pokemon such as Swanna, Simipour, and Frogadier.

Nasty Plot
########
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Boomburst
move 2: Chatter
move 3: Nasty Plot
move 4: Substitute / Encore / Hidden Power Ground
ability: Tangled Feet
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Boomburst is a very strong STAB move that allows Chatot to muscle through any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Chatter is a great STAB move for Chatot thanks to its 100% confusion chance, and though it is not a very powerful move, confusion gives Chatot a chance to use Substitute. Nasty Plot gives extra power to Chatot's moves, instantly doubling its Special Attack. Other options can be used over it, depending on the team, such as Encore, Substitute, and Hidden Power Ground. Encore is a nice support move; Chatot can use it against setup sweepers and hazard setters. Substitute is nice to set up and spam Boomburst or Chatter, giving Chatot a buffer to take hits and an immunity to status, which make it pretty annoying versus stall teams. Hidden Power Ground can be used to weaken Chatot's counters, such as Bastiodon and Electrode, but using it forces Chatot to forgo the utility of Encore or Substitute.

Set Details
========

The EV spread with a Timid nature is used to maximize Chatot's power and Speed. Life Orb makes Chatot a fearsome special sweeper, while Leftovers's passive recovery gives Chatot more opportunities to set up a Substitutes and lets it recover HP while behind that Substitute. The last 4 EVs are put into Defense and not into HP to reduce damage taken from Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Behind a Substitute, Chatot can more easily deal heavy damage with Boomburst, a powerful STAB move. As Chatter confuses foes and Encore can grant Chatot free turns, Chatot has more opportunities to use Substitute. Use Chatter and Substitute to deal chip damage to the target and spam Boomburst when Pokemon that resist Normal are gone. Nasty Plot should be used only on predicted switches. Chatot can be switched in after a KO to revenge kill the foe or pivoted in via a slow Volt Switch or U-turn user; this is to give it a safe switch in without taking damage.

Team Options
========

Chatot appreciates Sticky Web to outspeed faster Pokemon. Late-game cleaners, such as Raichu, can sweep once the opposing team has been weakened. Spikes / Toxic Spikes from Pokemon such as Whirlipede and Roselia deals extra damage to enemies, supporting Chatot. Bouffalant and Tauros can be used for a "Normal spam" core, weakening Chatot's counters. Golem and Piloswine have nice synergy with Chatot because they hit Electrode and Bastiodon, Chatot's most common counters.

Other Options
########

There aren't a lot of other options for Chatot; the only one is a set with either Choice Specs or Choice Scarf. Choice Specs Chatot has almost no switch-ins and deals huge damage with Boomburst, and Choice Scarf Chatot is a nice revenge killer that can outspeed big threats. U-turn can be a nice option on these Choice sets to gain offensive momentum instead of hard switching.

Checks & Counters
########

**Soundproof**: Pokemon with the ability Soundproof, such as Mr. Mime, Bouffalant, Bastiodon, and Electrode, can switch into any of Chatot's sound-based moves, as they are immune to them. Electrode has to be wary of switching in on Hidden Power Ground from Chatot, which can 2HKO it. Mr. Mime and Bouffalant take little to no damage from Chatot's Heat Wave and Hidden Power Ground and can potentially set up on Chatot.

**Steel-types**: Steel types such as Metang, Klang, and Bastiodon can take Chatot's STAB moves thanks to their resistances to them. Bastiodon is immune to Chatot's sound-based moves, takes minimal damage from Heat Wave, and can KO Chatot with Rock Blast, but it has to be wary of switching into Hidden Power Ground; Chatot's +2 Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Ground has a chance to OHKO Bastiodon. Metang takes minimal damage from Chatot's STAB moves and can 2HKO Chatot with Meteor Mash and set Stealth Rock, but it has to be wary of Heat Wave and Hidden Power Ground, which can 2HKO it after a boost. Klang takes minimal damage from Chatot's STAB moves but has to be wary of Heat Wave, which can OHKO it after a boost. However, Klang can set up a Shift Gear and potentially OHKO Chatot after Stealth Rock damage.

**Special Bulk**: Special walls such as Lickilicky and Regice can switch into Chatot's moves thanks to their great bulk. Lickilicky can threaten Chatot with Body Slam or Knock Off, while Regice can KO it with Ice Beam.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types, such as Carracosta and Golem, safely switch into Chatot's STAB moves and threaten Chatot out with their Rock-type STAB moves. However, they have to be wary of confusion from Chatter, as well as taking big damage from Hidden Power Ground.

**Priority**: Priority users such as Carracosta and Piloswine can threaten to revenge kill Chatot with Aqua Jet and Ice Shard, respectively. However, Carracosta does not appreciate Hidden Power Ground, and Piloswine does not like taking a Boomburst.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Raichu, Electrode and Choice Scarf Rotom-F can outspeed Chatot and threaten it with their STAB moves. Rotom-F and Raichu do not appreciate taking a strong move from Chatot due to their frailty, while Electrode is immune to Chatot's main moves thanks to Soundproof.

**Revenge Killers**: Faster revenge killers, such as Tauros, Kadabra, Dodrio, Ninetales, and Choice Scarf Rotom-F, can threaten to revenge kill Chatot; however, they don't appreciate switching into Chatot's STAB moves.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Hidden Power Ground should at least be mentioned in Other Options, because it beats Bastiodon and Electrode. :)

I feel like Hidden Power Ground should at least be mentioned in Other Options, because it beats Bastiodon and Electrode. :)
Basically it beats Bastiodon only, except if you hurt Electrode on the switch-in, as it outspeeds anyway (I don't think it OHKOes without boost)

Heat Wave is also good for in OO, it cripples pure-steels and grants coverage against a whole lot more types.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Basically it beats Bastiodon only, except if you hurt Electrode on the switch-in, as it outspeeds anyway (I don't think it OHKOes without boost)

Heat Wave is also good for in OO, it cripples pure-steels and grants coverage against a whole lot more types.
You can't use Heat Wave in conjunction with Boomburst so there really is no reason to use it, not to mention there aren't to many viable steel types aside from Bastiodon which takes neutral damage, when mentioning it in oo stress the fact that Boomburst can not be used with Heat Wave (once ORAS comes out it can).

For the actual set I think Uturn can be slashed after Substitute and the 4th slot should look like Encore / Substitute / U-turn. I use encore over sub as it provides plenty of free set up opportunities locking a mon that might threaten you such as Golem into Stealth Rock or EQ, and Nasty Plot is pretty much a requirement imo. Also place Boomburst ahead of chatter in move order

You can't use Heat Wave in conjunction with Boomburst so there really is no reason to use it, not to mention there aren't to many viable steel types aside from Bastiodon which takes neutral damage, when mentioning it in oo stress the fact that Boomburst can not be used with Heat Wave (once ORAS comes out it can).

For the actual set I think Uturn can be slashed after Substitute and the 4th slot should look like Encore / Substitute / U-turn. I use encore over sub as it provides plenty of free set up opportunities locking a mon that might threaten you such as Golem into Stealth Rock or EQ, and Nasty Plot is pretty much a requirement imo. Also place Boomburst ahead of chatter in move order
yes, okay, I get your point.

In OO, just swap Electrode for Electric-types, as it hits them all on the switch-kn

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Enki I think this is almost out of the wip stage. You have 48 hours to finish this skeleton and move it out of the wip stage, or I'll reassign.

The overview could use a lot more content about how chatot actually functions in the metagame. Namely its ridiculous effectiveness against non-bastiodon stall, but also how its decent speed makes it good against offense, and other stuff like that.

Rename the set to "Nasty Plot".

Add something about boomburst's spammability in usage tips. It's almost never a bad play to just click boomburst.

Be more specific in team options. (as in mention examples)

C&C:

252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Golem: 166-196 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock- not a counter imo

i'd just remove the "rock and steel types" section, most rocks don't even beat it and bastiodon is the only relevant steel and should have its own section anyway. mention the rocks and steels that do beat it in their own sections, since most of them get 2hkoed. (including carracosta and barbaracle)

you need a mention of bastiodon, it's its only real answer on stall.

be more specific in terms of priority, carracosta's aqua jet is a big one but there are plenty of other mons with priority.

Revenge killers absolutely need to be mentioned, a ton of offensive mons easily outspeed and KO chatot. mention sneasel, tauros, ninetales, kadabra, dodrio, scarf rotom-f, etc.

do all of this and i'll look at it again and possibly stamp.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if Life Orb is even worth it, or U-turn. In my experience with Chatot I've always preferred Leftovers because of the recovery it provides allowing Chatot to keep on coming in on SR.

Keep Rocks and Steels in C&C imo. They get worn down, yes, but they still force Chatot out if they are healthy enough. Plus those that invest in SpD wall Chatot completely as well.

The overview could use a lot more content about how chatot actually functions in the metagame. Namely its ridiculous effectiveness against non-bastiodon stall, but also how its decent speed makes it good against offense, and other stuff like that.

Rename the set to "Nasty Plot".

Add something about boomburst's spammability in usage tips. It's almost never a bad play to just click boomburst.

Be more specific in team options. (as in mention examples)

C&C:

252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Golem: 166-196 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock- not a counter imo

i'd just remove the "rock and steel types" section, most rocks don't even beat it and bastiodon is the only relevant steel and should have its own section anyway. mention the rocks and steels that do beat it in their own sections, since most of them get 2hkoed. (including carracosta and barbaracle)

you need a mention of bastiodon, it's its only real answer on stall.

be more specific in terms of priority, carracosta's aqua jet is a big one but there are plenty of other mons with priority.

Revenge killers absolutely need to be mentioned, a ton of offensive mons easily outspeed and KO chatot. mention sneasel, tauros, ninetales, kadabra, dodrio, scarf rotom-f, etc.

do all of this and i'll look at it again and possibly stamp.
Fixed

remove the line about low stats from the overview, you already say that it's frail and has decent offensive stats, so it's redundant. Same with the line about it having multiple stab options, you already mention chatter and boomburst, which are the only stab moves you should ever be running.

Remove the part about encore giving opportunities to set up subs, as they are slashed together and thus won't be used on the same set.

You could use a bit more content in team options, mention spikes and toxic spikes users as they really help chatot sweep. You could also add stuff about offensive partners that help wear down chatot's checks, etc

You say boomburst 2HKOes the entire tier but it doesn't, soundproof users outright wall it and I'm sure there are a few special walls that aren't 2hkoed.

In c&c, move bastiodon to the soundproof users section.

Also I'm not sure if chatot survives its own chatter, but if it does then tangled feet should be the ability as unlike keen eye it could possibly have a use in some rare situations.

Content is fine but here there is a general lack of detail so be sure to beef up any section.

[overview]
Mention that it is not that fast and outsped by a lot of Pokemon like Swanna, simipour, frogadier, you name it

[np]

Uturn should be removed in my opinion. Most of the time spamming boomburstor using NP on the switch is better than using uturn lol and in the last slot I'd rather see hidden power ground but your call on slashing it or not. It should be in moves regardless.

Mention spamming boomburst when resistances are gone

Mention that NP should be only used on switches

Team options needs a lot of work. Normal types like tauros and bouffalant should be mentioned for their ability of powering thru resistances. Pokémon that deal with electrode, bouffalant, and bastiodon too (like ground types)

Mention offensive Pokémon in general that appreciate wallbreaking like simipour.
[C&C]
Steel types like metang and klang need to be added

Make a section with specially bulky pokemon like mantine and regice who take a hit and kill back.

Rock types also need a section as checks as they can take a hit and kill back (barbaracle, Costa, golem)

Edit: 2/3

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, not QC, but I have a bunch of comments.
  • I really feel that your overview is kinda lacking in information and a bit sloppy. For example, you should change the wording of " It is very frail and weak to stealth rock" to something like "Unfortunately, Chatot is a very frail attacker due to its low defensive stats coupled by its weakness to Stealth Rock." This information should also be at the end of the overview, as you kinda go back and forth between pros and cons which can be confusing.
  • Another thing I noticed throughout is some weird line spacing. For example, this:
Overview
########

Chatot gets stab boomburst and chatter, the last one gives him 100% chance of confusion, which is a niche. It is very frail and weak to stealth rock. But it has nice special attack and ordinary base speed for the meta.
Against slower teams it could be threatening, like stall teams without bastiodon.
It isn't the faster pokemon, it is outsped by common pokemon like Swanna, Simipour, Frogadier.
Should look like this:

Overview
########

Chatot gets stab boomburst and chatter, the last one gives him 100% chance of confusion, which is a niche. It is very frail and weak to stealth rock. But it has nice special attack and ordinary base speed for the meta.
Against slower teams it could be threatening, like stall teams without bastiodon. It isn't the faster pokemon, it is outsped by common pokemon like Swanna, Simipour, Frogadier.
[/quote]

I saw this a lot, but I'm not going to quote them all.

• HP Ground -> Hidden Power Ground
  • "except soundproof users" Such as?
Set details
  • You need to always mention the nature of the set, which is Timid in this case. There are also a bunch of capitalization errors like how "orb" in Life Orb is not capitalized, but I'll leave that to GP. The formatting stuff is more applicable to me I guess.
  • Also you could say that the last 4 EVs are put into defense instead of HP to minimize stealth rock damage.
  • Each different item should have its own sentence, or at least more detail to it. For example, I would word it as such:
Life Orb greatly enhances Chatots power as a special sweeper, allowing it to hit very hard with its STAB moves. Alternatively, Leftovers can be used to have passive recovery, which is helpful to regain HP lost from Substitutes.

Usage Tips
  • Some other careless mistakes like "oppo" when you clearly mean opponent. This should also be changed to "foe".
  • "Nasty Plot should be used only on switches." What does Chatot force switches against? This is very unclear to me.
  • I would definitely add more content here, like how chatot doesnt get many free switch ins due to its frail defenses, it is best as a revenge killer.
Team Options

• "Chatot need Sticky Web, to outspeed faster users. Late Game cleaner." Ok, this isnt even a proper english sentence .-. I apologize if English isnt your first language, but thats just pretty careless.
  • Sticky web users such as?
  • "Wallbreakers like Simipour" Explain more here about Simipour and what it does, this sentence is way too short and simple, it just doesnt get the information across.
  • "Bouffalant and Tauros, for the Normal Spam, and hit weaken Chatot's Counters" Normal spam isnt exactly a thing, nor should it be capitalized. What checks and counters to chatot do they KO or severely weaken?
  • "And to beat his main counters it needs to Golem or Piloswine to hit Electrode and Bastiodon." This isnt a complete sentence either, I dont even understand what youre trying to say.
Edit: mont talked with me about this, just keep in mind most of this stuff in re-write up

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Give more stress on how powerful boomburst is, as it is its main niche

Nasty Plot
########
Moves
========
Now that heat wave is legal w/ boomburst it deserves a mention in moves, as it hits metang/klang harder (bastiodon is rare)

Set Details
========
Mention that ev spread maximises its power and speed

From here rewrite it (other than oo). It lacks information and its clearly not written up. Enki

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Worked on C&C with Enki, if I have time tomorrow I'm going to help with the grammar as the outline had all of the info Anty

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
'Chatot went from being a weak special attacker to a fearsome sweeper in one generation'. I dont think this line is necessary, so should be deletted

Team Options
========

'Chatot need Sticky Web, to outspeed faster users.' Change 'need' to 'appreciates', as it isnt necessary, just helpful.

Once you have implemented it, QC 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)