VGC A Char Dance in VGC!

Hi guys!Unsu7 here!After two weeks from my MegaTyranitar RMT I returned with a new team,one in which I'm working with my best friend with my absolutely favourite Mega pokemon,MegaCharizardX!Although some people think that he's inferior to the Y variant,I think not.They are two absolutely different pokemon,and you all know for what reason from the OU metagame,where I constantly ran Charizard Mega X in litterally ALL my OU team.But now,because I'd really like to compete in a VGC 2014 tournament with him,I tried to build a team around it,so I want to make you see the result (actually not a so much great team,also my fault because I have poor practice).

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect/Roost

As I said,Charizard is my MVP.I wanted to build a team around it because I like so much his design and his strength once he's set up (but before too).Adamant nature+Max Evs bumped in Attack+Tough Claws ability point that this thing it's gonna hit very hard with his moves,that in this meta have perfect neutral coverage thanks to the lack of Heatran (I hope it will remain like this in ORAS VGC too).Evs are simple:Max attack,enough speed to outrun Smeargle and the rest in bulk to tank better hits.Dragon Dance is obviously my setup move,and gives him more speed and attack.Flare Blitz is the nuke himself,completely obliterates nearly anything that doesn't resist it and severely damages even some pokemon that resists the move,even if sometimes I'd really like to have some non-recoil move,sigh.Dragon Claw is a "weaker" but safer STAB,with perfect coverage with Fire STAB and that nails nearly everithing barring steels and fairies for good damage.Protect is here because we're in double battles,but sometimes I feel that I REALLY want Roost as 4th move,since in the last 15 battles I found me to nearly use only Flare Blitz,wtf.But when he gets at +1,hello boys.He wrecks havoc.Even if I'm contemplating to use it with a Jolly nature and a 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe because I noted that I'm outsped a bit too much from a lot of pokes,even if I have to trade some power.

aegislash.gif

Aegislash (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 116 SpA / 156 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Another common pokemon,Aegislash makes a really good work tanking lots of attacks thanks to this ev spread that pemits him to tank a timid heat wave from charizard y in the sun and a modest-choice specs boosted dark pulse from Hydreigon,while still hitting hard thanks to the 150 base spatk and the 116 evs invested in this stat.Wide Guard is really useful to protect my team from heat wave,muddy water,earthquake,rock slide and occasionally hyper voice and water spout.Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are my STABs,I fully go special because of Intimidate and WoW:anyways,they never let me down,inflicting good amounts of damage to any opponent that doesn't resist them and totally destroying who has a weakness.King's Shield is my protecting moves,and even if doesn't protect me from status,if I still have my Lum Berry I'm alright.I usually lead with him and scrafty against trick room teams because of their low speed and powerful super effective attacks,but aegi is also a good check to kangaskhan and smeargle teams thanks to ghost typing and lum berry.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 20 SpA / 164 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Last,but not least,I have Rotom-Wash.A very common poke too,gives my team bulk,WoW support and Electric and Water STABs,a thing that is always good to have.Hydro Pump,despite its low accuracy is a powerful water move that always inflicts good damage to Talonflame and to the non water resistant pokemon.Thunderbolt is the "safer" STAB,and while it's weaker has more accuracy,giving me a "safer" way to inflict damage.Will-O-Wisp is great too,as burns physical attackers like Kanga or Maw rendering them a lot less dangerous.Protect...Is Protect.

Evs let him survive a Close Combat from Jolly Mega Lucario,and a Solar Beam from Charizard-Y and striking back with Thunderbolt in sun,while having some defense evs lets him resisting better mega kanga assaults.Sp attack evs are a way to always try to KO talonflame with either damaging move.

He offers me also another fire resist for aegi.Levitate is so good because lets's me spam earthquakes all day when he's on the field with garchomp and also because only Mold-Breaker Earthquake users are dangerous.Luckily,I have only seen once Gyarados-Mega,so I saw that is not very common.

Scrafty (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 68 Def / 36 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Scrafty is a pokemon that I discovered only recently,but heck if it's good.His bulk is really something among Fighting-types,and has really a good coverage in Ice,Fighting and Dark.Drain punch is also my only recover for him,Crunch has a nifty lowering-defense side effect and ice punch nails ALL the dragons.Even if it's Adamant (and not Brave with 0 IV Spe) he is also one of my checks to trick room teams,with his low speed and Fake out for the first turn.Assault vest and intimidate are the icing on the cake,further improving his bulk.Evs lets him survive a -1 adamant max attack choice band brave bird from talonflame,which is REALLY good considering that that bird is everywhere.I usually lead with him and aegislash if I see a trick room team because they are a formidable duo against it.

amoonguss.gif

Amoonguss (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 68 Def / 204 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Amoonguss.A word,a pokemon.He's capable to become the MVP every battle in which I take him with me because it's too darn good.Anyways,Ev spread permits Amoonguss to survive a Timid Charizard Y Heat Wave in sun,with a bit of defense to survive physical attacks better;Sassy Nature and 0 IV in Spe make him my 3rd check for trick room teams,with the ever deadly Spore,deadly also outside of the room (even if it isn't as fast as if he was in the twisted dimension).Rage Powder is something fantastic,permits me to setup or protect for a turn his partner from single-targeting attacks in a single turn.Giga Drain is my only damaging move,mainly for Rotom,but it's very useful late-game too,draining HP from my opponent and often winning one-on-one.And Protect is mainly for talonflame,is everywhere.

Garchomp (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

My other loved pokemon,garchomp.Oh if it's good.Evs are for hit always with max speed and attack,and the LO makes Garchy hit even harder.Moves here are pretty standard too;Dragon Claw over Outrage for a reliable STAB that doesn't lock me into a move,Earthquake is the move that I often spam more,because it's always REALLY good have an earthquake in the team,even better if it's STAB and the user is Garchomp.Rock slide nails all flying and ice types barring mamoswine for super effective damage;it also totally destroys Talonflame,a common threat in VGC.Protect is for scouting and to block opponent's attack.Is a good teammate for both Charizard in normal form and Rotom,because he can spam Earthquake without hitting them.

So,this is my team.I hope to get some help because I feel that while the team is not bad,it needs of some changes that,maybe because I'm a VGC starter,I can't note.

Thank you guys!

Attachments

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Yo unsu this team looks REALLY good bro!!! Honestly the only thing I would change is probably Lum berry to leftovers since recovery is nice for a more supportive Aegislash but that's just my personal preference. Lum berry tbh works just as well if you're having trouble with dark void. Also it might be better to invest a little more into bulk for char x since it's pretty strong after a DD, I would give it enough EVs to take a scarf Salamence Draco meteor (if possible that is). Head smash can also be an option on scrafty for char y and rotom heat but its up to preference (im not a fan of it cause recoil is too much lol) Other than that it looks REALLY good bro. Like I said last time good luck with this team :)

Hi DaAwesomeDude1,thank you for your reply!I also thought of a bulky spread without setup...I noted that for example for OHKOing Garchomp and Salamence it needs with an Adamant nature 108 Evs,and the rest in bulk and some speed...Can you suggest me a bulkier spread?One for a Dragon Dance Version and one for a bulkier set?I was thinking a set like Flare Blitz/Dragon Claw/Roost/Protect too...How could perform?I noted also that draco meteor is out of surviving discussion,since a Timid Salamence unboosted Draco Meteor OHKOes him even with a Careful nature and a spread of 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD lol.Salamence is a big problem,how can I circumvent it?Is also one of the reasons for running ice punch on scrafty...Maybe a glue pokemon like bulky gardevoir works better on my team?
Help me please lol

And (now I remember) if I go mixed?Even with an Adamant nature,Overheat OHKOs Ferrothorn and 2HKOs Mawile-Mega...I really don't know,in the situation in which I can't setup,how about switching Amoonguss with a pokemon like Aerodactyl?With Tailwind and Wide Guard...Help I don't know!

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Honestly that spread works since surviving dracos are out of the question and having dragon dance is much more beneficial than roost. Personally i wouldn't change anything since char x without d dance is kinda useless tbh. Turns usually don't last too long for roost to make a difference anyways. Mixed char x wouldn't work too well and i would keep amoonguss as well. It has redirection in the form of rage powder so it could redirect dragon claws/meteors away from char x so he can set up.

I tested a bit and I will keep Amoonguss! For charizard (for The dragon dance one) I tested also a spread of 100 HP/108 Atk/12 Def/92 SpDef/196 Spe Adamant...For Now it seems to work well because I outspeed all positive base 80 speed and I have enough bulk to survive Garchomp's Dragon Claw and unboosted Dragon Pulse from Timid Salamence and OHKO back thanks to the 108 Evs in Atk,and even at -1 OHKOs Mega Mawile with Flare Blitz.I'm also thinking to switch Garchomp to Mamoswine,for checking other dragons (Garchomp Salamence Noivern) better with Ice Shard. What do you think of this? Make me know please :)

Ehm...I already tried Mamoswine too...And for now he's performing better than Garchomp...Simply because now Charizard has Less pressure when The other dragons are on The Field... For Charizard now it's ok,even if sometimes is so difficult to set up.........Most of The battles he remains all time at +0 lol but he performs very well, even if now in The ladder there are also pokemons with ORAS move tutor sigh

Ok lol.There's something else that I can do here?
And,speaking of ORAS move tutor,is there some move that you can suggest me on this team? Like Fire Punch on Charizard because of Flare Blitz recoil and no Roost...
Thank you

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
No fire punch is way too weak, flare blitz is almost twice the power of fire punch so I wouldn't recommend that. You'd miss out on way too many potential OHKOs

Yeah I noted that you're completely alright, also because is the move I use The least lol.
Anyways,today I tested for charizard this set too:
Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 100 HP / 108 Atk / 12 Def / 92 SpDef/ 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

As you can see,is the same spread as the dancing set, but with Roost. What can I say? For now is better than the DD set, at least for me and for now. Maybe because I can heal me and I have not a "dead move" (actually not, but sometimes you CANNOT setup).It even let me beat an Azumarill one on one thanks also to willowisp.
What do you think?
:)

Edit:If I have to be genuine,in battle maison I also tried Zard X with Mat Block Greninja,but as I read in some posts here,seems to be bulls**t,it's true?

Edit Edit:I even thought to add a Lightingrod Raichu because after Mega Evolution Zard is like "Throw TWaves at me!" And also for a Fake Out faster than Kanga...

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Yeah mat block ninja is absolute trash and tbh i wouldn't really recommend roost char x since it'll get outsped by common dragon types and be OHKOed. Also if Raichu has been working out then go for it, it seems kinda niche tho since the only thing it redirects is t wave.

Mmm...What kind of flaw can you see in my team?'cause all games that I've done tonight were disastrous...I also tried to change a bit my whole team because for a bit it seemed to be atrocious...I even tried aerodactyl(actually tailwind+that charizard roost set is nice) and belly drum azumarill for a second setup sweeper with amoonguss...What do you think?Because for now Scrafty is a bit disappointing...Also I'm not so good on battles :P

On aero I was using Sky Drop/Rock Slide/Protect/Tailwind,and with Char with that set above was pretty good,but...Other than Amoonguss and Aegi I don't know how support them (even if actually Char+Aegi+Amo+Azu make together a nice FWG+SDF core,but I don't have a valid sixth member).

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Well the team looks pretty nice on paper tbh. If it's not working out you could try making a new team :P? I guess the biggest flaw is that there is that Char Y can be somewhat of a problem.

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
The only suggestion I can make here is the Charizard and Garchomps EV spread. Here is one I used to great success:

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Level: 50
EVs: 108 HP / 212 Atk / 4 Def / 20 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

This spread overall increases bulk and speed for CharX compared to yours while also getting nice OHKO's. The attack investment allows it to OHKO most Mega-Kangaskhan when at +1 using Flare Blitz, while the defences allow it to survive attacks such as a D-Claw from Garchomp, Hydro Pump from Rotom-Wash, etc. The speed is the most important part, it outspeeds 252+ Smeargle by 2 Points. This is important since most Pokemon only put enough speed to beat it by 1, which means that you will have the advantage most of the time when against opposing mons like Hydreigon, Bulky Garchomp, or even other CharX.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 12 HP / 208 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

Still outspeeds everything that Jolly Garchomp usually does while also hitting hard with the Life Orb. It's best to put this many EV's into HP and SpD just so you always have a 100% chance of surviving a Timid Mega-Manectric's HP Ice. Although it may seem stupid at first, it can be a very valuable addition to most Garchomp sets. The sacrifice of 42 Atk EV's barely changes anything due to the Life Orb and seems like a fair trade off in my opinion.

I really like this team though. Mega-Zard-X is sooo good when you play it right. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)