ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
How is Feebas handled in the games? Is it available in select tiles in the river like in the originals, determined by the Dewford trendy phrase, or did they drop that and made it available anywhere in the river?

How is Feebas handled in the games? Is it available in select tiles in the river like in the originals, determined by the Dewford trendy phrase, or did they drop that and made it available anywhere in the river?
5% encounter chance with all three rods on Route 119.

It's 5% throughout Route 119 on all rods, at least for the first one you catch.

Edit: and I get ninja'd. Wonderful.

I dont know how much info there is on this, but so far I have caught 3 shinies by chaining the dex nav (highest was 125, lowest was 28). Seems like its gotten a similar mechanic to fishing.

Also, hydro pump surskit made the early game more enjoyable than I ever remember a pokemon game being.

So the trendy phrase of Dewford is limited but back none the less. It's good it no longer effects Feebas though.

However, my randomly generated phrase when I got there was "Bright Powder Parties." O_O

Oh Gamefreak where do I even begin...

Edit: I'm crying from laughing too hard right now, so here is some NPC highlights:
1. "Yes, even the TV news might come to report on the Bright Powder party."
2. "A life without Bright Powder parties is unthinkable!"
3. "Man, I just can't wait for the Bright Powder party!" -says gradeschooler.

Last edited:
I actually think that the Delta Episode is the first time ever that a legendary Pokemon has lost its event-only status. I know that there's Zorua/Zoroark, but since they're breedable it really was not hard to find one on the BW GTS.
This is sort of true. In Gen 3 (because you couldn't transfer from Gen 2), Ho-Oh and Lugia were only accessible through an event that allowed you to access Navel Rock, or through beating Pokemon Colloseum/XD Gale of Darkness (respectively) for Gamecube. They became catchable (without an event) in the handheld games when Heart Gold and Soul Silver were released. So from the beginning of Gen 3 to the release of HG/SS in Gen 4, they were easier to obtain that most "pure" event Pokemon, but HG/SS was a real turning point in terms of their availability.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So the trendy phrase of Dewford is limited but back none the less. It's good it no longer effects Feebas though.

However, my randomly generated phrase when I got there was "Bright Powder Parties." O_O

Now that just makes me want to look through all the items and find more evil things for them to say: Silver Powder, Lucky Punch, Quick Powder, Thick Club, Mental Herb, White Herb, Tiny Mushroom, Bug Mushroom, Stardust, Ether, Energy Powder, Quick Ball, Good Rod, Old Rod, & Super Rod. Good night!

Day 5 Comments:
Finished the Delta Episode! So, have my opinions on Zinnia change? Well, not really, though the game sort of try to explain why she acts as she does. In addition to knowing something we don't (which she eventually reveals after destroying the possibility for an alternate option, what a b****), they go with she's young so she's a bit impulsive. Also when summoning Rayquaza she reveals that her Whismur Aster is named after someone she was close to who passed away (of course they don't go into detail about it, which kind of prevents me from understanding why this person is important. Was Aster her mother? Sister? Mentor?). Anyway in the end I still don't like her, but then again now that her role of Lorekeeper is gone its implied she'll now go out and find a new beginning.
2. Well I guess I should talk about the reveal why Zinnia is stopping you teleporting the meteor away. Though first we find out she's a Draconian which are ancient people who worship Rayquaza thus train Dragon-type (hey, what about Flying-types?) and are responsible for summoning it again when a disaster is about to happen. Okay, fine, usual fantasy fiction stuff. It's also revealed the Draconians believe sacrifice is necessary and originally Zinnia was going to summon Rayquaza by helping Team Aqua/Magma wake up Kyogre/Groudon. Okay, a bit extreme and stupid, but I guess it also explains a bit about her character and why she treats everyone like they're not important.
So, then we found out the reason Zinnia is so against the plan to teleport the meteor because we have no idea where it'll go and it could very well teleport on trajectory to another inhabited planet. Okay, that makes sense, brings up a pretty good philosophical dilemma; could we really doom another unknown civilization even if it means our safety? BUT then Zinnia brings up that this isn't a possibility but actually what WILL happen and she even KNOWS the planet it'll be aimed toward. Okay... how? Please don't tell me she and the Draconian are aliens (an idea not helped as one point she said she can't become what she wanted to be, whatever that means). So Zinnia continues and reveals that the meteor will be sent to a parallel dimension and be heading toward a parallel Hoenn. This Hoenn is in a dimension where the Kalos War 3k years ago didn't happen and have no Mega Evolutions... yes, she's talking about the original Ruby & Sapphire. She says the original RSE exist in a parallel universe and since they don't have Mega Evolutions they don't have the technology the destroy the Meteor thus they'll be doomed.
Okay, where to start with this. Honestly Zinnia should have stopped at bringing up the point it could be teleported on course to another planet but after that she lost me. Really? RSE is an alternate universe and the meteor will be teleported to it? But wait, if RSE is an alternate universe then that must mean all games before Gen VI must be in the alternate universe. Why? Pokemon World Tournament. The Pokemon World Tournament in Gen V had the Hoenn Gym Leaders in it and they were there old design, thus Gen V must be in the alternate universe. And since the other region Gym Leaders were also in the PWT, that must also mean those games are also in the alternate universe. So basically everything before Gen VI had been written out of continuity.
AND, since they're now out of continuity, why should I care? Why should I care that it'll be destroyed? It's no longer the prime universe, it's not in our universe, how would its destruction effect us? A destruction of a planet in our universe? Yeah, that carries some weight as who knows if we may ever meet the inhabitants of that planet. But a universe which we're being told has been discontinued? Doesn't really hold much weight. Also, being we're playing the parallel universe card, what's preventing ANOTHER parallel Hoenn with Mega Evolution from deciding to destroy a parallel Hoenn who no Mega Evolution? Isn't one of the rules for parallel universes that for every possibility there's a separate universe where a different decision was made?
Let's just move on...
3. Speaking of destroying someone's home, I think the meteor was Deoxys' home. And remember Hoenn is a region where they stop construction as soon as it starts disturbing the nearby Pokemon.
4. So I got a decent Rayquaza, nothing special as it has a Nature which gives no positive nor negative effect. Also knocked out Deoxys, work on it later.
5. So actual post game stuff. It starts with Professor Rowan getting attacked by a Shroomish and you picking one of the Johto starters, nice, though no battle as the Shroomish was actually nice apparently (also I still had Rayquaza first in my party so it would kind of be overkill). Went to Battle Resort and found a few interesting things. Tabitha and Courtney make their only appearance so it was nice to see them in the game at least. Met the Magma/Aqua couple, but are they suppose to be the one from B2W2? But that couple didn't know the other was part of the rival team, but these two obviously do. Oh wait, that's right, B2W2 is no longer canon. Sorry, forgot. However what I think is the most interesting thing there is that Looker is here! But no mission this time, apparently he washed ashore and has amnesia (maybe he crossed parallel universes?). Will go there tomorrow and if anything changes.
6. Also I got both the bikes and did New Mauville which wasn't much. I have a suspicion there's more to New Mauville.

And I think that's it for today. Tomorrow I'll go hunting for Legendaries, Mega Stones, TMs, and other Pokemon I don't have registered yet. Also going to start going through Serebii's coverage to see if there's anything else.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Edit: I'm crying from laughing too hard right now, so here is some NPC highlights:
1. "Yes, even the TV news might come to report on the Bright Powder party."
2. "A life without Bright Powder parties is unthinkable!"
3. "Man, I just can't wait for the Bright Powder party!" -says gradeschooler.
Bright Powder Parties needs to be a thing from now on. Also, I'm really sad we can't customize our phrases to be BIG SERVICE or the like anymore. :(

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I just found a Mirage Forest that I'm not sure if it has been discovered. (At least Serebii hasn't discovered it.) It's on an island north of the desert and has Kricketune, Larvesta, and TM74 Gyro Ball. What makes Gyro ball interesting is Serebii said that it's on a Mirage Island. I'm sorry I can't take pics, but you'll just have to take my word for it.

I just found a Mirage Forest that I'm not sure if it has been discovered. (At least Serebii hasn't discovered it.) It's on an island north of the desert and has Kricketune, Larvesta, and TM74 Gyro Ball. What makes Gyro ball interesting is Serebii said that it's on a Mirage Island. I'm sorry I can't take pics, but you'll just have to take my word for it.
Yeah, I've been there too. Cool little place.

I love the fact that the game mentions that RSE exist but are an alternate universe. Of course the thing is that Pokemon from RSE can return from whence they came.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just finished day...4?5? I dunno been at it since saturday...the feels. Just tossed a 30-31/4-9/26/30-31/31/30-31
Nooo that's a gem! (depending on speed of course. Remember stats where you have 252 EVs matter, while stats with 0EVs are the same whether it's 30 or 31 at level 50)

Also, Pokemon who beat all 5 master ranks gets a medal which shows the ribbon when it appears from the ball! That's way too cool.

Last edited:
So everyone always specifically talks about the weather legend and dnamon resetting if you beat the elite 4. Does this mean all the other stationary legendaries you find through the portals do not reset?

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys,

I just picked up ORAS and I'm about to start playing. However I can't seem to decide on starters. Does anyone want to give me a general opinion on which is the strongest and/or strengths and weaknesses (or link me to a post if this has already happened)? Also I'm going to keep one game as my "main file" and restart the other one a lot to SR for legends and such. Im thinking of keeping sapphire as my main and restarting ruby a lot for extra latios/groudon, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Can't really go wrong with any of them. I went with Mudkip since I usually roll with a Water starter on my first play through of each game.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys,

I just picked up ORAS and I'm about to start playing. However I can't seem to decide on starters. Does anyone want to give me a general opinion on which is the strongest and/or strengths and weaknesses (or link me to a post if this has already happened)? Also I'm going to keep one game as my "main file" and restart the other one a lot to SR for legends and such. Im thinking of keeping sapphire as my main and restarting ruby a lot for extra latios/groudon, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I'd recommend Mudkip for OR and Treecko for AS, since they have the best matchup against Magma and Aqua respectively.

So everyone always specifically talks about the weather legend and dnamon resetting if you beat the elite 4. Does this mean all the other stationary legendaries you find through the portals do not reset?
It's moreso that resetting them after the Elite 4 lets you skip the story cutscenes attached to them, which significantly cuts down on the time for each SR
Hey guys,

I'd say for starter, Sceptile makes the best option for main game at least. Being faster than everything is the most important for sweeping teams, and since nothing's EV'd clicking a good STAB move tends to be enough on neutral targets.

I'd say stick with Omega Ruby for Groudon and its version exclusives, unless by some miracle you get an Eon Ticket. At that point, streetpass yourself if possible to keep it alive between file resets (if it works that way), since the Southern Island Lati@s can be SR without the cutscenes attached (even if there is capture involved)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sceptile is actually legit good in-game now now that it learns Mega Drain at level 13, so you actually have un-shit STAB early on, and Grovyle gets Leaf Blade six levels earlier than before, so you're not stuck with pretending it doesn't exist until it reaches level 29. I bought Omega Ruby, picked Treecko, and didn't really have a problem with Team Magma or anything. Water-types are incredibly abundant as is, so it's not too difficult to get something to beat up Team Magma with. Honestly, either Treecko or Mudkip should be just fine regardless of which game you pick, though I'd definitely steer clear of Torchic as it loses to the first gym (unless you grind it to level 16 so it evolves into Combusken and learns Double Kick - does this actually save it against Roxanne though? Can anyone who picked Torchic verify) and is pretty much useless against all of the last three gyms, though it seems like Blaziken is insta-win against Norman so that's something. Regardless, Mudkip and Treecko are definitely the better picks for your starter.

I am super sad that you can't use not hexagon mons in the ORAS battle spot now, I didn't try hard to SR the gifted Latias because I thought I'd just use the RNG'd one I transferred over from BW2, but no dice. Now I have a Docile Latias with actually pretty good stats, but I was so mad that the first Latias I got actually was Timid, but with 31 attack IVs and friggin 0 SpA IVs.

I'm actually considering either restarting my game or getting OR later on, I need my Latias... ;_;

It's moreso that resetting them after the Elite 4 lets you skip the story cutscenes attached to them, which significantly cuts down on the time for each SR
Yeah I've already knocked those guys out because there's no way I'm save scumming with the cutscenes. I'm just wondering if I can go knock all the legends out to get them in my pokedex since I really don't feel like spending hours rerolling until I actually feel the need to use them.

I just finished training my first ORAS Pokémon. :) I picked Altaria because it was the first Pokémon I got to Lv100 ten years ago in Emerald (albeit with a very different set of Dragonbreath/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Fly).

I haven't got the game yet, (europe) but I'm interested: where did you find the best places to train were? Blissey bases, sure, but they're only once a day. Where else does ORAS offer a good grinding experience? ((And where/when is lucky egg available actually, I have 4 in Y but trading with only one 3DS is awkward...))

Please god let it not be just the Elite Four like the originals *shudder*

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There aren't any options outside of Blissey bases/E4. You are not given a Lucky Egg, so your only option is to steal them from Dex Nav Pelipper. You can check out the thread I posted in this forum for more details on training/breeding.

Sceptile is actually legit good in-game now now that it learns Mega Drain at level 13, so you actually have un-shit STAB early on, and Grovyle gets Leaf Blade six levels earlier than before, so you're not stuck with pretending it doesn't exist until it reaches level 29. I bought Omega Ruby, picked Treecko, and didn't really have a problem with Team Magma or anything. Water-types are incredibly abundant as is, so it's not too difficult to get something to beat up Team Magma with. Honestly, either Treecko or Mudkip should be just fine regardless of which game you pick, though I'd definitely steer clear of Torchic as it loses to the first gym (unless you grind it to level 16 so it evolves into Combusken and learns Double Kick - does this actually save it against Roxanne though? Can anyone who picked Torchic verify) and is pretty much useless against all of the last three gyms, though it seems like Blaziken is insta-win against Norman so that's something. Regardless, Mudkip and Treecko are definitely the better picks for your starter.
Torchic is a pretty good starter. I beat the whole game just using it and some HM Slaves. It has good coverage with flying, fire, and fighting moves. And once you get Blazikenite you can steamroll people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)