Megas For All V2 (Induction Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I kiiinnnddaa got a Mega to work on a server...

I don't know how to allow people from other computers to access the server, and I'm not sure how to handle the sprites or multiple Megas, but it's a start, I guess. As you can see from the before/after damage given/taken, Ledian's stat boosts are indeed increased when it Mega Evolves.

Instead of harping on possible solutions, please submit your own paragraphs about which Megas are too powerful. Later, I'll compile a list of all that have been mentioned, and we'll vote upon which we feel need to be changed. ONLY AFTER THAT IS ALL DONE will we discuss alternative solutions.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
One of the best revenge killer in the metagame in my opinion is Mega Ambipom. It has an Attack stat higher than MegaKangas at 130, 145 Speed (Outspeeding 376 Megas and 437 unscarfed/unboosted Pokemon. That is 97.37% of the meta, I checked.) and an ability that doubles the power of moves with 40 BP or less. This includes Fake Out and Power-Up Punch.
This is most likely a balanced Mega in this metagame. Any Megas that outclass it as a revenge killer should be tweaked. In this case, MegaRaichu.

A relatively overpowered Mega in my opinion is Mega Durant. Its base stats (58/164/132/48/53/129), may seem balanced, but it literally has no weaknesses because of Flash Fire. It has a decent enough movepool that includes Iron Head, Flare Blitz, X-Scissor, Crunch, Stone Edge, Shadow Claw, Aerial Ace and Thunder Fang. A Truant Entrainment set that Mega evolves is the main problem here, and it is very, very scary.
Durant can also eat up Will-o-Wisps that boost the power of its Flare Blitz. It is also immune to Toxic. So this thing will freely set up against a physical attacker or wall with Hone Claws (except if the opponent uses Leech Seed, but who in their right mind would keep a Grass type against this?). This plus Truant Entrainment forcing a switch can make it a set up monster.

Last edited:
As I've pointed out plenty of times, Mega Durant is just stupid. There's no flavorful reason whatsoever for it to have Will o Wisp or Flare Blitz. Fire Absorb would fit much better if we absolutely need it to be Fire-immune.

In any case, from before:

Dragonite should be changed, given Storm Force is an absurd ability (Sand Force's boost to Rock, Steel, and Ground makes sense given the three's direct relation to sand; rain improving Electric and Flying makes sense thanks to Thunder and Hurricane, but Dragon? Makes no sense whatsoever, outside of wanting to make the ability fit with Dragonite).

Marowak: 105 Huge Power is already known to be bannably powerful (thanks Mega Mawile), and despite a worse defensive typing, Mega Marowak is even bulkier in terms of stats. Moreover it's got actual STAB on that Sucker Punch, STAB Pursuit to trap, STAB Earthquake for incredible power, and far better coverage than Mawile in the elemental punches and good Rock options to boot. Yes, this is a meta full of megas, but Mega Marowak is too strong even for that.

And also:

Porygon-Z: 85/90/90 defenses gives it enough bulk to use Agility to boost that 80 Speed. That's all it takes for it to use Protean, its incredibly diverse movepool, and its 185 Special Attack to kill absolutely everything.

In general, we need to look over any mon that gets new boosting moves or recovery moves, as in general they make plenty of non-mega pokemon way more viable. Slack Off Nidoqueen, Roost Empoleon, Coil Druddigon, Recover Claydol, Calm Mind(/Moonblast) Togekiss, Nasty Plot Roserade, Bulk Up Honchkrow, Agility Exploud, Coil Scolipede, Recover Qwilfish, and the aforementioned Recover Lanturn make their standard forms far more viable, which ruins the whole point of this project.

Last edited:

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
As I've pointed out plenty of times, Mega Durant is just stupid. There's no flavorful reason whatsoever for it to have Will o Wisp or Flare Blitz. Fire Absorb would fit much better if we absolutely need it to be Fire-immune.
I wasn't here when they made that, but it is most likely based on the fire ant, even though it is literally called iron ant.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Marowak: 105 Huge Power is already known to be bannably powerful (thanks Mega Mawile), and despite a worse defensive typing, Mega Marowak is even bulkier in terms of stats. Moreover it's got actual STAB on that Sucker Punch, STAB Pursuit to trap, STAB Earthquake for incredible power, and far better coverage than Mawile in the elemental punches and good Rock options to boot. Yes, this is a meta full of megas, but Mega Marowak is too strong even for that.
We also have Diggersby, with 96 Huge Power, priority STAB Quick Attack, 98 Speed (decent, also has Agility). Diggerby's coverage includes Wild Charge, STAB Earthquake, STAB Return and Quick Attack, Stone Edge, U-turn, Hammer Arm and Brick Break, Thief and even the more situational Payback. With the new ORAS move tutors, Diggersby gets Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Knock Off, Focus Punch, Gunk Shot, Iron Head, Low Kick, Superpower, and once again, the more situational Super Fang.

We also have Diggersby, with 96 Huge Power, priority STAB Quick Attack, 98 Speed (decent, also has Agility). Diggerby's coverage includes Wild Charge, STAB Earthquake, STAB Return and Quick Attack, Stone Edge, U-turn, Hammer Arm and Brick Break, Thief and even the more situational Payback. With the new ORAS move tutors, Diggersby gets Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Knock Off, Focus Punch, Gunk Shot, Iron Head, Low Kick, Superpower, and once again, the more situational Super Fang.
that diggersby is in no way broken considering mega medicham is arguably better than that in every way.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
that diggersby is in no way broken considering mega medicham is arguably better than that in every way.
I'll look more into this later, but MegaMedicham only has 4 more attack than MegaDiggs, and doesn't have Mach Punch - only STABless Bullet Punch and Fake Out. It also only has 2 more speed and doesn't have Agility. One more thing, MegaDiggersby is bulkier IIRC (I only have MegaMedicham's stats and this page opened)

It's no contest in terms of bulk: Meggersby's 85/97/97 while Megacham is 60/85/85. Furthermore, Diggersby has STAB priority and access to Agility, and the two have considerably different typings both offensively and defensively (Diggersby is weak to Water, Fighting, Ice, and Grass, which hurts, but resists Poison and Rock while immune to Ghost and Electric; Cham is weak to Flying, Ghost, and Fairy, but only resists Rock and Fighting; looks great on paper, but Flying, particularly Priority Flying, is omnipresent these days).

In the end, neither outclasses the other, in the same way apples don't outclass oranges.

Last edited:
When looking at Huge Power Megas, it's important to consider the power of their base form. Megacham is "just right" with 100 base attack and speed, an average typing, and no boosting moves. However, its base form, which has base 60 attack, is not at all viable. Azumarill, however, is a top tier threat despite its base 50 attack due to its excellent bulk/typing/movepool combo. Diggersby is a viable threat with base 56 attack, so making his stats inferior to those of Megacham is justified. Likewise, any boost to above 85 to Azumarill's Mega attack stat could've easily proven overwhelming.

On the topic of Mega Marowak, I do indeed agree that it could be broken. Regular Thick Club Marowak is pretty gimmicky given his poor stat distribution and despite his relatively high base 70 attack. However, an intrinsic attack boost coupled with newfound STAB on Sucker Punch is a huge leap to potential brokenness.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
When looking at Huge Power Megas, it's important to consider the power of their base form. Megacham is "just right" with 100 base attack and speed, an average typing, and no boosting moves. However, its base form, which has base 60 attack, is not at all viable. Azumarill, however, is a top tier threat despite its base 50 attack due to its excellent bulk/typing/movepool combo. Diggersby is a viable threat with base 56 attack, so making his stats inferior to those of Megacham is justified. Likewise, any boost to above 85 to Azumarill's Mega attack stat could've easily proven overwhelming.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a good while, Medicham was OU and MegaMedicham was borderline due to the former being able to hold items. The opposite happens to Diggersby, because a real stat boost of over 80 base attack and overall stat boost completely outclass the already OU~BL normal Diggersby.
My original post was to discuss the overpoweredness of MegaDiggersby though, not it possibly outclassing its normal form, but I suppose this is also important.
I wish we had the damage calculator...

I don't think it can be stressed enough how important this review is. I'm gonna add in some more Pokémon, but I think dozens more could potentially be reviewed for brokenness.

Mega Empoleon possesses a phenomenal 84/118/141 bulk spread, something that not even Mega Venusaur can boast. With Bulletproof and only three weaknesses, it has potential to wall a large portion of the metagame. Newfound access to Roost and Defog in MFA give it a new niche, as well as make its base form more viable. However, granting it access to Roost did not make it particularly usable in the theorymon metagame some time ago, even in a meta filled with Fairy types. I don't think it's particularly bad, but it could stand some review (mostly due to its base 151 special attack). To fix this, I propose we don't go overboard with buffing its base form and remove Defog and transfer 20 base stat points from special attack to speed. Removing Roost would make it rather underwhelming.

Mega Klinklang gains a wonderful ability to fit its base form's niche: Technician. Technician not only boosts its Shift Gear Grind to insane amounts of power off base 140 attack, but also renders HP Fire viable to round out its rather lacking movepool. Base 110 speed and the addition of the Electric type just make it worse for anyone trying to stomach Mega Klinklang's attacks. I propose we change Technician to Volt Absorb.

Mega Stunfisk is another example of a super bulky 'mon with which I believe we went overboard trying to compensate for the sheer power in this meta. 109/114/129 bulk is excellent even by Uber standards, especially when backed up with (newfound) reliable recovery, two immunities (Storm Drain!) and only two weaknesses (Ice and Ground). I guess it doesn't have much of a niche outside of status spreading with Discharge and Scald, but it's worth considering. Physically bulky Mega Stunfisk walls quite a few top-tier threats such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Bisharp. Again, this could very well be perfectly balanced, but I still propose we change Storm Drain to Static.

I always drop back in here to argue against Mega Durant- I really think it should keep hustle, as it's almost its signature ability and is pretty underused overall, with only 4 other megas having it. In terms of flavour you could go a few ways with it, it could become a queen ant and lose speed and gain bulk, attack and u-turn, letting it be a really hard hitting pivot, similar to mega ampharos, or it could become a soldier ant and just go full on offensive with its already great speed tier and coverage, and could even change its type. Either way though, I'd like it to keep hustle :p

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
I don't think it can be stressed enough how important this review is. I'm gonna add in some more Pokémon, but I think dozens more could potentially be reviewed for brokenness.

Mega Empoleon possesses a phenomenal 84/118/141 bulk spread, something that not even Mega Venusaur can boast. With Bulletproof and only three weaknesses, it has potential to wall a large portion of the metagame. Newfound access to Roost and Defog in MFA give it a new niche, as well as make its base form more viable. However, granting it access to Roost did not make it particularly usable in the theorymon metagame some time ago, even in a meta filled with Fairy types. I don't think it's particularly bad, but it could stand some review (mostly due to its base 151 special attack). To fix this, I propose we don't go overboard with buffing its base form and remove Defog and transfer 20 base stat points from special attack to speed. Removing Roost would make it rather underwhelming.
I remember I mentioned underwhelming Pokemon with Bulletproof, and Empoleon was one of them. I hadn't realized it got Roost. O_O
The problem here is that Defog is a Gen 4 transfer move, and while it would (probably) lose compatibility with some attacks if we removed it from its level-up movepool, it would still make it usable and a big threat. Roost, on the other hand, can change the viability of its base form, and that's not the intention of this meta, right? And since I still think Bulletproof is a very situational and overall meh ability, I suggest we remove Roost and give it Regenerator. I do realize there are already a lot of Regenerator megas, but it's the only way for it to gain reliable recovery without making its base form gain it as well. We also don't have to change the stat spread with this.

Mega Klinklang gains a wonderful ability to fit its base form's niche: Technician. Technician not only boosts its Shift Gear Grind to insane amounts of power off base 140 attack, but also renders HP Fire viable to round out its rather lacking movepool. Base 110 speed and the addition of the Electric type just make it worse for anyone trying to stomach Mega Klinklang's attacks. I propose we change Technician to Volt Absorb.
While I do agree that Technician makes it overpowered (Gear Grind roughly twice as strong as MegaKangas's Fake Out, plus access to Shift Gear), Volt Absorb would make it a rather underpowered Mega. Gaining an immunity to a type it resists is meh. I suggest either Capacitance (One of the already created abilities, when user uses a contact move, the opponent has a 30% chance of becoming paralyzed) or Iron Barbs. The former would clearly still make it a solid threat in OU, but it wouldn't be as overpowered as Technician. The latter would be a nice, balanced gimmick for setting up (it has 60/125/105 bulk), and it would make more sense than Technician, Volt Absorb and Capacitance.

Mega Stunfisk is another example of a super bulky 'mon with which I believe we went overboard trying to compensate for the sheer power in this meta. 109/114/129 bulk is excellent even by Uber standards, especially when backed up with (newfound) reliable recovery, two immunities (Storm Drain!) and only two weaknesses (Ice and Ground). I guess it doesn't have much of a niche outside of status spreading with Discharge and Scald, but it's worth considering. Physically bulky Mega Stunfisk walls quite a few top-tier threats such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Bisharp. Again, this could very well be perfectly balanced, but I still propose we change Storm Drain to Static.
Stunfisk can barely status spread as it is. It indeed is a very good wall with a good ability and typing, but it can't do much. Giving it a status spread on contact ability would make it even worse than it appears, because the trainer might not even be able to choose burning or paralyzing the opponent. I propose we change Storm Drain to Serene Grace and transfer 10 base stat points from both defense and special defense (20 in total) to attack. With this, Stunfisk's niche is boosted, it regains an weakness and becomes less bulky.

Mega Empoleon would probably be more manageable with a less reliable recovery move, like Moonlight. I strongly disagree with removing Defog on it, so this would be the next best option IMO. I also think we should move 20 points of Special Attack into Speed.

Changing Mega Klinglang's ability to Volt Absorb would be too extreme IMO. Its coverage is still awful and is not hard to wall. Seconding Iron Barbs as it benefits it without giving it obscene power with Gear Grind.

I think the someone has the right idea with Mega Stunfisk as well. Serene Grace sounds like a nice middle ground between Storm Drain and Static. It's also ironic huehue

I remember I mentioned underwhelming Pokemon with Bulletproof, and Empoleon was one of them. I hadn't realized it got Roost. O_O
The problem here is that Defog is a Gen 4 transfer move, and while it would (probably) lose compatibility with some attacks if we removed it from its level-up movepool, it would still make it usable and a big threat. Roost, on the other hand, can change the viability of its base form, and that's not the intention of this meta, right? And since I still think Bulletproof is a very situational and overall meh ability, I suggest we remove Roost and give it Regenerator. I do realize there are already a lot of Regenerator megas, but it's the only way for it to gain reliable recovery without making its base form gain it as well. We also don't have to change the stat spread with this.

While I do agree that Technician makes it overpowered (Gear Grind roughly twice as strong as MegaKangas's Fake Out, plus access to Shift Gear), Volt Absorb would make it a rather underpowered Mega. Gaining an immunity to a type it resists is meh. I suggest either Capacitance (One of the already created abilities, when user uses a contact move, the opponent has a 30% chance of becoming paralyzed) or Iron Barbs. The former would clearly still make it a solid threat in OU, but it wouldn't be as overpowered as Technician. The latter would be a nice, balanced gimmick for setting up (it has 60/125/105 bulk), and it would make more sense than Technician, Volt Absorb and Capacitance.

Stunfisk can barely status spread as it is. It indeed is a very good wall with a good ability and typing, but it can't do much. Giving it a status spread on contact ability would make it even worse than it appears, because the trainer might not even be able to choose burning or paralyzing the opponent. I propose we change Storm Drain to Serene Grace and transfer 10 base stat points from both defense and special defense (20 in total) to attack. With this, Stunfisk's niche is boosted, it regains an weakness and becomes less bulky.
Mega Empoleon would probably be more manageable with a less reliable recovery move, like Moonlight. I strongly disagree with removing Defog on it, so this would be the next best option IMO. I also think we should move 20 points of Special Attack into Speed.

Changing Mega Klinglang's ability to Volt Absorb would be too extreme IMO. Its coverage is still awful and is not hard to wall. Seconding Iron Barbs as it benefits it without giving it obscene power with Gear Grind.

I think the someone has the right idea with Mega Stunfisk as well. Serene Grace sounds like a nice middle ground between Storm Drain and Static. It's also ironic huehue
Again, you should spend your time critiquing other Megas, not critiquing others' critiques. Now we're just broaching Megas to discuss later when we discuss them. Which is not now. There are plenty of other Megas to review, so why don't you find other potentially overpowered ones and write about them. Thanks.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Again, you should spend your time critiquing other Megas, not critiquing others' critiques. Now we're just broaching Megas to discuss later when we discuss them. Which is not now. There are plenty of other Megas to review, so why don't you find other potentially overpowered ones and write about them. Thanks.
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood that other post you made. >_>

Edit:
Hey... Did we REALLY give MegaDelibird Wonder Guard? Really? Do I need to write a paragraph explaining how gimmickly OP this can be? Can't we tweak it, since we can now lower one offense stat and give it an OP (but not broken) ability or something?

Last edited:
I'd really like to see damage calcs in your arguments, I'm hearing too much "it can wall things" and "it can kill things."

KlingKlang is broken:
252+ Atk Technician Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 204-242 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- approx. 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers

Empoleon Might be a bit too bulky for how hard it hits:
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 147-174 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Empoleon Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 166-196 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I got bored, don't feel like calcing anything else.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
252+ Atk Huge Power MegaDiggersby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 244-288 (57.5 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power MegaDiggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 214-253 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power MegaDiggersby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def MegaEmpoleon: 304-358 (81.7 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power MegaDiggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def MegaEmpoleon: 374-444 (100.5 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The problem is Mega Diggersby has to have a niche over regular. If we lower its speed or attack too much, then you're better off with choice band regular Diggersby.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Well,I have been absent from this petmod for quite a while, but I geuss I'm back (And I can see the stage we are at)

Mega Darmanitan Y looks incredibly broken. It has a STAB Overheat that never lowers the attacking stat its using, great coverage moves (Stone Edge, Grass Knot, Earthquake, and Focus Blast/Superpower), access to Belly Drum, bulk almost as good as Mew, and a base 180 Attack stat that is used for all its moves, personally I think we should just get rid of it, X is decent as it is

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks Magmotar is slidly overpowered?
Base 160 SpA and basicly STAB to 4 types in Fire, Dragon, Dark and Fighting thanks to Mega Launcher :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)