General What brought you to Smogon?

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well skylight had been asking me to join Smogon for the longest time but I wasn't entirely sure how to get involved since PS was so massive and I didn't know enough about tiers to really contribute. One day she PM'd me and said, "There is this user on Smogon who types EXACTLY like you!" This turned out to be Redew who told me I could help out by checking grammar on analyses, and finally Jin Of The Gale started pestering me to go on PS more so here I am.

I came to Smogon because I wanted to learn more about competitive battling and help others once i did. I plan to stay on Smogon unless I am bullied by one of the other members

I found smogon during the end of the dpp era when I wanted,to battle a friend irl. I didn't know about the forums at this point but I read every on site analysis they had religiously for over a year. Eventually I found the forums and registered an account a few months later but didn't post anything. Nearly a year passed and I made my first post, an RMT (which was pretty well written for a first post). I didn't know anyone on the forums for a while but loved posting and arguing with people and eventually made a few friends. I think I kinda defined smogons mantra of Golurk More, having not made a single post for over a year after I made an account

I randomly found smogon somehow or another and clicked on the little button that says simulator. Found a tier I wanted and googled "uu teams" and got hooked :V

Psych

Formerly Royal Pains
I actually found PS, from a YouTuber.

And not one of those strictly pokemon YouTubers. Idk if any of you know him, but KYR Sp33dy does gaming videos, mostly call of duty, gta 5, stuff like that, I enjoy watching them sometimes. So I turned on YouTube and his latest video was a Pokemon Showdown battle with his friends in The Crew. Aint gonna lie, my first thought in my head, "that sounds terrible." But after watching the video, I looked up the website, and almost instantly was intrigued. I first visited the YouTube room, of course, I was looking for Speedy and wanted to see him, I figured he was online a bunch. But no, so I had to settle and talk in other rooms. :P

I found Smogon maybe 2 months later because I was told I needed it by Stolen Identity. So, I created it and have been a part of both communities now for about 6-7 months. It's been a blast

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Came here during the twilight of 4th Gen to post a really bad team and then be a little bitch about the criticism :p
I barely understood EVs and IVs back then from first reading about them and competitive Pokemon in general on other forums not long at all before finding Smogon and joining.
I've mostly stuck to my roots in the RMT and Competitive discussion forums and lurking everywhere else, and I mostly credit Smogon for my development as a battler even if I don't contribute as much as I would like. Who knows where I'd be if I hadn't chosen to join and stick with you guys.

Hmmm how did I get into smogon...?

Well I played on showdown for the better part of 2 years and just last year I wondered, "who's behind banning x pokemon, who's behind x activity on showdown?" And one name kept coming up, Smogon. So I finally checked it out and it was awesome!

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
While playing BW, my Lucario levelled up and could learn ExtremeSpeed, and it had Close Combat/Dragon Pulse/Aura Sphere/Dark Pulse(or Crunch) and i googled "Moveset for Lucario" and Smogon was 2nd or 3rd option, and i went for it cos it said University and i was like "University! They must know what to do". But what i saw didn't appeal to me, cos the sets here were SD and mentioned Heatran and Dialga, so i thought little of it(i knew Heatran wouldn't be there in BW with any trainer, and back then i thought if anything can go mixed, it should be mixed). Later while looking to play Pokemon games online, i found PO. I went there and also started lurking on Smogon. I read a lot of places about the Smogon server on PO, but never found it. Then somehow i found PS, and i joined Smogon at the same time.

I came here cause I was mostly just looking for the tiering system. Started hanging out in IRC, and like parts, don't like others.

I'll stick around cause it's a nice community of people playing a game I love. Who knows if I'll ever actually compete with PS or VGC, but I play as if I will.

The reason i came to smogon is because i was looking for a pokemon simulator. The reason for that is i was a huge pokemon fan but couldn't play the games because i didn't have the game or the system. Overtime i have come to love playing pokemon on showdown and to enjoy discussion and competive pokemon on here.

Last edited:
I'm new and I came because I was playing UU on PS! and saw a bug and had to report but now that I have an account I think I will stay.

Well, I used to be active on PO (I did have an account here but I only lurked and didn't post) until GlassGlaceon (thanks man ily) told me that it'd be cool to switch to Smogon because it's way more active and has a way bigger LC community than in PO (the lc community is literally dead there just saying) so yeah I started being active here, making posts in the LC subforum, got tutor 8 days after I started posting which was incredible, started some few projects here and there and most importantly I met some really chill guys and I really regret that I didn't start being active here earlier.

I was first aware of Smogon last December, after stumbling across the type analysis for grass when trying to build an all grass team to beat the Platinum Elite 4. I kept coming back to the Gen 5 analysises (however that is spelled) because I was interested in what different pokemon did. I finally joined Showdown in February and joined here in March to post a RMT (which didn't actually get posted, but here is one I did a little later that is even worse than unfixables and may have stolen art). Special shoutout to Valmanway for making me interested in the OM community, which is where I spend my time now.

Smogon came to my attention when I joined a now dead Facebook group that used Smogon rules. I've always wanted to be part of a competitive scene, but fighting games where the only ones really available for me to try and I find them to be impenetrable wall to get into. Pokemon at least is somewhat easy to get into once you know what's what, and that's why I enjoy it so much; it's a game of the mind.

Admittedly I'm not as active as I probably should be, but I prefer watching what everyone else says. More often than not when I have a question I find the answer somewhere, which is also a plus for Smogon.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I 6-0'd a guy with M-Gengar in-game and he rage quitted then put as his message "Mega Gengar is banned" as if in-game applied to Smogon. I knew he was referencing to Smogon rules so I became interested, found PS, became a room staff, had to make an account for staff purposes and long story short now I'm here involved on Smogon and more particularly found my place in the OU forum while making good friends and as such good times.

So in the end I guess Shadow Tag fulfilled all of this for me n_n.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I made my account to post in the Mega Luke suspect thread (don't read my post it's rly bad ;_;) but kinda didn't do anything till June. I got banned from Serebii for sending a "rude" PM to a dude about how Lopunny was crap, and I was fed up with the bad players there so I made a post in the OU viability rankings thread to join the "cool kids". It took a while, but I finally got used to posting there and eventually I became a regular poster in the OU forum, and soon enough started doing tours too.

Fast forward a few months and I finally got the courage to ask to do an OU Player of the Week thread, and I got approval. From there on out I've been doing that and posting in OU in various threads, and the rest is history. Don't have too many "friends" perse since I don't really hang out on PS or IRC, but I like to think that I get along with everyone. =]

I had my eye on this place for a while mostly for movesets and Pokemon stat distributions for EVs.

I just created this account as I now plan to take Pokemon up competitively. Will I stay, so long as my love for Pokemon exists I will. And it had just been rekindiled this year after a 4 year hiatus since I was 13.

I found Smogon since I started to play competitive Pokémon. I always kept an eye on the forums but this year I decided to register and try to get involved and learn more on how Smogon handled their tiers and tournaments. Participating in the forums and make new friends is a goal too.

I was in a computer camp with a guy who played PS!, and talked me into making an account. However, I ended up dropping it about two weeks later, only to come back to it this February, where I was bored af and wanted to know how this place was doing. It got me hooked, and I've been playing since.

And yes, that does mean I haven't even played more than a year, deal with it ;-;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)